Epic’s Shooty MOBA Paragon Boots Up GRIM.exe

The MOBA rush has passed the point of straight-up copying DotA and LoL, and moved into the more interesting phase of lifting bits and easing them into other genres. Unreal and Gears of War creator Epic’s own crack at this is Paragon [official site], merging MOBA and third-person shooter (Monday Night Combat was ahead of its time, man). Paragon will be free-to-play eventually and launches into open beta this summer, but right now it’s in paid early access. Epic are still adding new characters every few weeks, and the latest is here: a robot named GRIM.exe with a fairy buddy.

GRIM.exe arrived in a patch this week. He’s a ranged character with a ganky playstyle, blessed with abilities including shots that slow enemies, a grenade which bumps people around, and an ultimate launching a honking great homing energy blast. Here’s an overview of all his abilities:

But tch! What’s with that pronunciation of his name? That… that’s not how you meant to pronounce it, is it? Did we have a column pronounced ‘SEXEX‘? I think I’d be okay with that. SEXEX! That’s the name of my new Ex Hex cover band.

If you want into Paragon right now, Founder’s Packs start at $19.99.

For more shooty action, this was a big whole livestream to celebrate GRIM’s launch this week and this short vid has longer gamepay snippets:

Paragon’s visual design looks off to me. GRIM.exe is a gorilla-ish robot who walks upright and is followed by a winged beastie straight out of a ‘twisted fairytale’ toy range from the ’90s (owners would insist it’s not a toy, it’s a collectible figurine) who holds and hand-cranks a generator to power his buddy. I’m not sure what or why.

From this site

1. The Dark One says:

I don’t know if it’s the official way to pronounce it, but Epic’s attempt to ape the feminine robotics of Portal made me feel grimacey.

2. Solidstate89 says:

I can’t watch the video here at work, but are they not pronouncing it “Grim-dot-e-eks-e?”

If so, that’s absolutely bullshit.

3. Don Reba says:

Makes me want to play Overwatch.

4. Napalm Sushi says:

I feel that if you took any recent game or film grown from the currently prevailing sci-fi aesthetic and stripped away every characterising feature, the remaining bare endoskeleton would basically look like Paragon. It feels like a simple check-list of contemporary visual genre tropes, none of which seem thoughtfully tied together and none of which look like they’ve spent more than a moment actually travelling through an engaged human imagination.

• Unclepauly says:

How’s the game?

• Napalm Sushi says:

I have no idea. It might be the most exciting and revolutionary development of the genre, which would make it all the more unfortunate that its art design will still have an inchoate, piss-warm void where its creators’ hearts and voices should be.

I didn’t give Starcraft 2’s embarrassing writing a free pass for its mechanical tightness, either.

• renner says:

As someone who’s never really played MOBAs before, I have a blast playing with a coordinated group of friends. If only the character design could live up to the gameplay– most of them are just completely uninspired, but Grim.exe looks downright silly.

5. ChairmanYang says:

I’m so happy Blizzard moved away from free-to-play with Overwatch. Epic swears Paragon’s gameplay won’t be affected by its business model, but frankly, I don’t believe them. And with the profusion of hero shooter/MOBA-shooter competition, I don’t have to!

6. Winstons says:

Ah, another developer who saw a crowded marketplace and thought ‘Me too!’

• Nucas says:

it seems like only yesterday cliff bleszinksy was passionately eulogizing the pc as a gaming platform, claiming consoles were burying them, and that it was a waste of time regardless due to the out of control piracy of every pc gamer.

but now that he smells that f2p cash money he can’t wait to shove his way to the front of the line trying to get it.

• Don Reba says:

IIRC, Paragon is not f2p.

• notlimahc says:

CliffyB left Epic. He founded his own studio, Boss Key Productions, and is working on LawBreakers (which won’t be F2P).

7. Jambe says:

I dunno, I like the copper lower jaw and articulated arms/neck/waist. The winged companion is strange but the pair doesn’t seem less cheesy or incongruous than any other Lords Management character.

I was going to say Gigantic’s set of Lords are more cohesively wrought than most, but I think that impression owes more to its cell-shaded art style than to any consistency in visual motifs.

8. Retconned says:

Heavy with a pocket medic