What Are We All Playing This Weekend?

I think I’m supposed to say something funny, interesting, or otherwise pithy in this few lines, but this is perhaps the only place I can sneak this onto RPS: I shall miss The Toast. Anyway. What are you playing this weekend? Here’s what we have lined up:

Adam: The weekend is for DOOM. I think it might be just what I needed after a few weeks of strategising and squinting at maps. Favourite things so far:

1) That demonic invasions are a regular occurrence in the Doomiverse, to the extent that a pre-recorded message was blaring out: “Demonic presence at unsafe levels” in the second level when I was playing last night. A little bit of demonic presence is tolerated. Expected, even.

2) Beating possessed workers to death with their own arms.

3) I really like the map and hunting for secrets. And, yes, that means I’ve managed to slip straight from strategic maps to Doom maps. It’s fine. I’m happy.

Alec: I am playing Kill All The Ambulatory Poos On Mars Really Really Quickly, or ‘DOOM’ as I believe some people call it. We didn’t get advance review code because this is the videogames industry, so I’m frantically racing through as much as I can as quickly as I can, in order to inform you, gentle reader, as to whether this latest rethunk of the grandaddy of first-person shooters has pulled it off not. So far, it is deliriously propulsive, which only makes the fact that it’s aesthetically quite boring all the more disappointing.
Alice: Doom! Over the world! And downloading to my hard drive at this very moment. Though I’ll have to find time for it between the pre-Eurovision drinking, the Eurovision Song Contest Grand Final, and the post-Eurovision hangover. Life’s a game of priorities, and that is the true game I shall be playing this weekend.
Graham: This weekend I’m determined to play a videogame, and I’m determined that videogame will finally be Concrete Jungle. I’ve mentioned it in previous WAPWATHTHA blurbs but those were all lies, whereas this is finally the weekend where I play the citybuilding deckbuilding puzzle game.
John: I shall be playing [unreleased game title B74] this weekend, because it’s haa-uuuge and I’m never going to get the review finished in time otherwise. That’s exciting for you to read, isn’t it? I might also read a book I won’t tell you the name of, and perhaps eat a dinner made of foodstuffs I’m not yet prepared to reveal. Gosh, I bet you’re glad you got all the way through this paragraph. And blimey, this photo’s old. I haven’t had that cap in years. Say hi to your family from me.
Philippa: I am playing “what time zone is it” as I cover the semi finals and finals of MSI 2016 in Shanghai. Along with the LoL matches I am also exploring the bits of China closest to where I’m staying (so far I’ve found a long street which I’m going to try walking along in the other direction next time because this morning’s trip ended in a dead end).

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. GernauMorat says:

I am going to continue to try to get my head around Mius Front. Also, going to keep playing Stellaris with my custom Culture name list- so much better when your science vessels are called things like “Poke It With A Stick”

• gunny1993 says:

Hah, I do the same thing with pretty much any space game where I can name my ships. I like having my fast scout ships called “just passing through”

• gunny1993 says:

Oh and my most powerful warship called “Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out”

• Zenicetus says:

I read somewhere that Ian Banks got the inspiration for some of his ship names from the titles of Pre-Raphealite paintings, and Alastair Reynolds has a similar thing going with ship names.

So I looked that up, and now name my ships things like “Rapidity of Sleep,” “Twilight Trudging Homewards,” or “Night With Her Train Of Stars.”

• jonahcutter says:

That’s a great idea and produces some very evocative, poetic names. I’ll be using it too now. Thanks.

• Phasma Felis says:

I always liked the human ship names from Halo: Pillar of Autumn, Forward unto Dawn, In Amber Clad.

• Hogni Gylfason says:

I’m still hoping there are Effectors in the late game. I want my Very Fast Pickets.

Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Peevishness For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Ire That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Wrath.

2. Sinjun says:

I already beat Doom but I’m contemplating a Nightmare replay, though the idea of the last 3 levels being even slightly harder than they were on UV scares me.

Lars Westergren says:

One of my last working weekends in a while (hopefully) so not much time for games, but I have managed to squeeze in a few songs in Rocksmith 2014 when I feel I deserve a break. Playing bass is really fun, I think it’s the instrument for me.

I think I spend more time hyping myself up about games than actually playing them. So I’ve been updating the Kickstarter thread in RPS forums. Finally got a mail from HTC that they are about to pre-authorize money for my Vive, so it might arrive in about two weeks or so.

4. trooperwally says:

Offworld trading company. Haven’t ventured online yet but have been enjoying the short form nature of it. Fits nicely into an evening. Starting to wonder if it’s got longevity though as I can only find one viable strategy for winning.

5. BlackMageMario says:

Recently picked up Final Fantasy 9, and I am enjoying it. It’s a lot harder than I thought it would be however – I found out I actually went to an area way earlier than I should have.

I’m also playing Planetside 2 since the Construction update, and I’m having a ton of fun. There’s double XP until the 23rd, which is awesome – easy certs, easy life.

• brucethemoose says:

Construction seems to have breathed some new life into the game. It’s nice to see enough population to unlock all 4 continents again.

moms says:

Ooo.. yeah! Eurovision! Thanks for reminding me.
    Gee, for some reason, it just doesn’t get any publicity, here in the states.

• SomeDuder says:

That’s because it’s pure shit and ever since the balkan “countries” have been allowed entry, they keep voting themselves up with terrible shit. Dragostea din tei anyone? “Epic sax guy”?

Meanwhile, western european countries have started writing their songs in English in order to try and appeal to wider audiences, losing all their individual charm and sounding so generic it’s becoming a parody of itself.

• SomeDuder says:

What I’m trying to say is, you’re not missing anything. I don’t even watch that crap yet it still gets me ~angry~

Risingson says:

Dragonstea was a really nice pop song that did what is needed from an eurovision song: brief, catchy and gay.

• Rizlar says:

Just don’t ask why Israel gets an entry…

Seriously though I’m hyped.

• Palladian says:

I’m pretty sure you’re more into the Eurovision than the contestants. It’s charming, harmless fun.

• Ross Angus says:

I shall celebrate Eurovision in the only way I know how: by listening to Atari Teenage Riot painfully loud.

7. benjamin says:

I am suffering from having too many RPGs on the go right now – Witcher 2, Pillars of Eternity or Final Fantasy 13. It’s a hard life!

• Grim_22 says:

Let me help you out there. If you own a physical copy of the demonic abomination that is Final Fantasy 13, proceed to cleanse it with fire. Should you have made the mistake of buying a digital copy, quickly format your hard drive before it conjures a portal Hell and consumes us all.

• Ragnar says:

Or he could ignore the internet hate and have an absolute blast playing FF 13, as I did.

• Grim_22 says:

Internet hate? I thought most people found it to be a pretty good game. I really, really tried – I think I played 20 or so hours before giving up. I adore the series, so it just bums me out that 13 turned it into… well, I lack words to describe it.

• Grim_22 says:

No, you know what, I’ll describe it. It’s the epitome of “Press X to be cool”. In an RPG of all things! That’s literally all you do in combat, you press X to que the same attack combo. Then rinse. Then repeat. Occasionally, if something survives and actually touches the ground for a long enough time to actually hurt you, you use cure. Then back to pressing attack.

And that’s just the combat – don’t get me started on the setting, the characters, the “story”… it’s just so incredibly uninspired that it actually borders on impressive.

• malkav11 says:

The combat starts out that way, and continues to be some facsimile thereof for long enough that it’s infamous and I certainly wouldn’t blame you for getting turned off. But it doesn’t stay as simple as pushing X for 9 hours (the amount of time I’ve spent with XIII to date), much less 20.

Also, the general consensus on XIII does seem to be that it’s rubbish, or at least rubbish for the first 20-40 hours which is far too long for any sane person to be expected to persist in hopes of it getting better. Myself, I can see where this reaction is coming from and I wouldn’t recommend it at this stage, but I’m happy enough to persevere. I just have a million and one games on the go.

• Grim_22 says:

I wish I could say I felt that the combat did improve, since that was the reason I kept playing. I didn’t feel it did, though. A shame, since I was of the opinion that it was satisfying enough to warrant a full playthrough had it started to require even an ounce of tactical thinking. I’m really not claiming that I’m “too good” at it, just that it was too simple and one dimensional.

• malkav11 says:

It improves very very gradually. I’m told at endgame there’s tons going on with it but I don’t blame anyone for not wanting to wait that long. But there’s a bunch more going on mechanically than just spamming “attack” by the point I’m at, and mildly more decision-making.

• Grim_22 says:

Witcher 2 and Pillars are ace though, do have fun.

Thulsa Hex says:

Still on my 100% run of the first Dark Souls. It’s amazing how fast you can fly through the game when you’ve already done it once before, having learned all the lessons the hard way. That said, I’ve spent days deliberately not progressing past certain areas because I’m having so much fun invading folks as a Darkwraith.

I’m not so much interested in the dueling/fight club side of PvP, but rather marauding those who are simply trying to get to the next boss. I try to be inventive and love trying to use my knowledge of the environment against the host. Tricking people into backing into the traps in Sen’s Fortress was some of the best fun I’ve had, as was cosplaying as a Silver Knight in Anor Londo. Lots of emergent silliness, and some of the best video games moments I’ve had in ages!

Andy_Panthro says:

“marauding those who are simply trying to get to the next boss”

This, for me, is the worst part of Dark Souls.

I’m happy to fight if I’m exploring an area, or grinding, or whatever. But if I’m struggling to get past a boss fight, the last thing I need is an invasion before I get there. At least in DS3 you can use an ember right by the fog gate, to avoid this sort of thing.

• Darth Gangrel says:

There is no way to prevent people from invading you in Dark Souls? You can’t play it offline? With my backlog and Dark Souls not really being my favorite type of game, I guess enough people will have stopped playing it by the time I get to it, but I still don’t like this. Singleplayer to me means that there is only one single player around and I don’t play games without an SP part. Mixing MP and SP is an abomination which leads to something weaker than the sum of its parts.

• Horg says:

You can play offline, or just stay hollow and you will never be invaded while online. It used to be easier when GFWL was the matchmaking middleware, you couldn’t connect to other players worlds if you tried ¬ ¬

• fish99 says:

Depends which Souls game you’re playing. In DS1+3 you can stay hollow, and after beating a boss you immediately kill yourself to go hollow and stop someone invading. In Dark Souls 2 you can’t completely block invaders without playing offline (which means missing messages and ghosts) but if you’re fully hollowed invasion are pretty rare outside of the PVP areas (where IMO you should just go offline because they’re super annoying).

I’ve got no time for people with OP PVP builds, ganking noobs who are just trying to play the PVE game.

Andy_Panthro says:

Yes, you can mostly play offline, but the online co-op is very useful if you’re not very good at the game! And of course if you’re not very good at the game, you’re also very unlikely to be good at dealing with invaders.

Thulsa Hex says:

I think it works really well in Dark Souls, and it’s not like you get invaded non-stop. I only got invaded a handful of times in 120 hours of Dark Souls II, when there were tens of thousands of concurrent players. Also, you can always use the Black Seperation Crystal in either of the first two games to “banish” someone who has invaded you, or even someone you wilfully summoned (though that’s rude).

It’s thoughtfully implemented, I think, unlike Metal Gear Solid V. In MGSV, you’re whisked away to a different, samey location whenever you’re “invaded” but in DS, it’s just another hazard woven into the fabric of the world you’re traversing. It’s seamless and can lead to some of the best encounters you have. More often than not, a dark phantom’s kill/death ratio is heavily weighted in death. There’s also a cool-down timer for the host so they can’t suffer concurrent invasions.

The game is playable in offline mode, once you force offline on Steam or unplug the Ethernet cable or whatever. It means you won’t get help from real player phantoms for bosses, but I finished the game that way my first time, so it’s a perfectly viable option. But I honestly think the online part of the game is better implemented than it sounds, or some would want you to believe.

• pistachio says:

In DS1 I have never been invaded by someone of equal strength in about 3 playthroughs. You could gear yourself in the best stuff at any level if you knew, or googled, how and use it to obliterate your opponent. Later DS games took more than just level into account when choosing who you could invade.

• Ragnar says:

“marauding those who are simply trying to get to the next boss”

So, if I understand correctly, basically being a dick and laughing at their misfortune?

Thulsa Hex says:

Actually, you know, playing the game in a way that was intended. And how I approach it depends on the situation. Most new players run back and summon one or two hardcore sunbros who are usually more capable than I. But I’ve found most hosts are more than capable on their own, and going by their gestures (bowing and such), welcome the fight. If I encounter someone obviously having a terrible time, or repeatedly get matched with the same person, I Black Crystal out of there, usually leaving a gift of humanity or something else useful. If I encounter someone with a Drakesword later than Blighttown, I don’t fight, but instead drop a proper weapon for them that looks like it matches the sort of build they (seem to) have, and then leave. Speaking of the Black Seleration Crystal, hosts can use that to banish a phantom whenever they want, and have ample time to do so.

So no, not being a dick. It’s a fundamental part of the game that works brilliantly and can be a lot of fun. Some people exploit it, true, but I’ve barely seen that myself, and most folks don’t take it so bloody seriously.

Thulsa Hex says:

“Black Seperation Crystal”

Thulsa Hex says:

Just been thinking that the words “marauding those trying to get to the boss” was perhaps giving the wrong idea. It’s not about giving people a hard time. What I meant was I prefer the asymmetry and emergence found in invading those who were playing, exploring and progressing normally, as opposed to hanging around the semi-organised PvP arenas and doing formal duels. It’s not about giving people a hard time. I like themed invasions, where you cosplay as certain characters or enemies, and try to have fun blending in with the environment. Or using unique aspects of the environment to set silly traps. I don’t optimise my build for PvP, nor do I under-level on purpose to target weaker folks. Most people I invade are stronger than I, and I die all the time for trying silly things.

• Ragnar says:

Your initial post did indeed give me the wrong impression.

When you talked about marauding those just trying to get to the next boss, tricking people into traps, how much fun it was, it gave me the impression that you were praying on those less familiar with the game than you. Which is certainly something the game design explicitly allows, but lots of games allow people to be dicks and grief others.

But now, reading your further explanations, I realize that I was mistaken. You sound like a very courteous and respectful player, a credit to the wonderful RPS community. So I humbly apologize and retract my former statement.

If I get invaded in Dark Souls as I’m trying to get to the next boss with my woefully out-dated gear, I hope it’ll be by someone like you.

Thulsa Hex says:

Haha, no worries! If I use language like that, it’s because I’m basically role-playing as the boogeyman. Yeah, I’m not into griefing or intentionally being a dick. Cheers, and I hope you have some memorable and silly encounters of your own!

• fish99 says:

Dude, “marauding those who are simply trying to get to the next boss” can only have one meaning. None of your clarification paints the endeavor in a better light. You’re invading people who don’t want to be invaded.

• Distec says:

What you did is rape, Thulsa.

Rape.

• derbefrier says:

Ready for a bold statement?

Dark Souls had the most pvp system I have ever expirienced.

I loved it. It was fun, unpredictable, and original (at the time)

My 2 friends and I loved to pvp in the forest area. One time all 3 of us were running around looking for a fight and some poor sap invaded us. We’ll we thought we had an easy kill. I was the slow heavily armored guy with a huge club. My buddy was a magic user and the other buddy was a pyromancer. This guy was as good as dead and the forest would remain protected…..we thought.

In what had to be the most epic battle in pvp history this son of a bitch took on all 3 of us. He was a quick stabby guy that wouldn’t stand still long enough to get hiy by the tree trunk I was using as a weapon. He expertly dodged the fireballs and magic missiles that were a constant threat and took us all out. That had never happened before. We have had some tough fights and even lost a few but never had we gotten owned so badly.

After the fight was over my buddy messaged our opponent through GFWL to congratulate him on kicking our assessment and to ask how the fuck he pulled it off and halarious lyrics his answer was “I was just jumping and rolling like a lunatic hoping not to die and some how killed all 3 of you, I don’t even pvp I n this game”

9. Unsheep says:

It’s all about racing for me, there’s lots of motorsport to watch on TV this weekend so I’ll have to prioritize the genre I enjoy the most.

Stock Car Extreme, continuing the Mini Challenge.
    SBK X, continuing my third entire playthrough, practice laps.
    Formula Truck 2013, will finally choose a truck for the championship, it’s been too much fun just driving casually.

WRC 5, starting a new championship, maybe I can actually win this time around or at least reach the podium ? some of the stages are extremely difficult, and the AI is tough on the hardest difficulty.

RaceRoom got a new car, the Tatuus F.4, which means I’ll start a new custom championship for it.

If time, some MotoGP 15, doing some qualifying for the next race. They really improved the AI in this game, they are doing much better times than in the previous games.

I have to say I’m really looking forward to ‘Valentino Rossi The Game’ and the ‘Ducati 90th Anniversary’ game. I’ll probably get them for my PS4 or Xbox One though, my PC is starting to show it’s age, and I want to see what AMD’s new card will be like before buying upgrading my PC.

• Legion1183 says:

I’ve got some work to do but it will be a racing weekend for me too. Some Project CARS and Dirt Rally, mostly Dirt Rally though.

I’m seriously craving a decent F1 game as I haven’t played any since F1 2013 and the latest has terrible reviews so I guess I’ll have to just wait until the next one is out but oommgg I miss doing full length races in F1 2013 after watching it on TV.

• Unsheep says:

Nice, two great games. Dirt Rally is the most impressive rally game I’ve played since Richard Burns Rally, a fantastic attention to detail and immersion.

Yeah the F1 games have been going through somewhat of a slump in recent years. Of the Codemasters’ games my favourite is still F1 2011, with F1 2012 close after. I did like 2013 as well, especially the classic cars. 2014 was OK for me, it was still fun to play.

However I had a tonne of technical problems with F1 2015. I considered re-buying it on console, but after trying it out at a friend’s place it still had some rather serious problems. Having framerate issues when you’re driving this fast is just terrible.

My biggest concern for the upcoming F1 2016 game will no-doubt be the technical quality of it.

10. airtekh says:

I’m playing ‘the waiting game’. It involves looking through my steam library and not deciding to play any of the games there, because the game I really want to play is sitting downloaded on my PC but for some reason I can’t play it until 24th May. The Overwatch beta withdrawal is real.

Blizzard plz. :(

• Evil Pancakes says:

Glad to see I’m not the only one suffering from this.
      Ever since the Beta ended I’ve just been completely uninterested in any of the over 200 games I own on steam. Every time I start something I get bored within 30 minutes and just go back to watching youtube videos of Overwatch.

11. Ksempac says:

The same thing I do every night*, Pinky! Play Rainbow Six Siege

*(for the past month)

12. The Librarian With No Name says:

Oh man am I going to miss The Toast. Although I’m glad it’s because they have too many exciting opportunities to keep up with, and not because Mallory’s ludicrous publishing schedule made her finally piss off to a monastery.

13. SomeDuder says:

Trying to get through Kingdoms of Amalur, which is turning out to be a huge, absolutely MASSIVE game. I’ve given up on the sidequests, because having accepted all the quests from the starting area had me stuck there for a solid week. And from what I’ve seen up to now (Just got across the sea and liberated Mel Senshir), each area has so many sidequests, it’s insane.

I can see how they wanted to make an MMO in this world, it’s pretty much designed with that in mind, but holy hell, I still can’t get over how huge this game is for a single-player experience. Kind of weird how this used to be the standard, but now it’s all multiplayer Twitch-intergrated 360 no-scope MAA GET THE KAMRA 3-minute “experiences” with ESL/MLG sponsored segments.

What I’m saying is, kill every developer and let’s start again.

• fish99 says:

I loved Amalur, and did every side quest, which took around 130 hrs (minus DLC which I haven’t played). I thought it was charming and a bunch of fun. It was also very pretty.

It did get a bit easy in the 2nd half. I think if you do all the side quests you do end up over-leveled. The only other issue I found was it got a bit slow/grindy in the last few areas before you cross the sea, but once you were through that the rest was excellent.

14. Rindan says:

Vive. Vive. VIVE. VIVE! VIVE!!! VIVE!!!!!

I dumped like 6 hours into Tilt Brush, plenty of time shooting stuff in Space Pirate Trainer or whatever that game is, Audioshield, and in general plowing through the $100+ I blew on full room VR games. My god this is so good. I piss myself to imagine the next generation version of this which, I assume, will have full body tracking (assuming they don’t shove it into this version before hand).

Watching my techno-skeptical friends one at a time have the moment of, “holy fuck, this is the future”, is pure magic. Every single person I have tossed into the Matrix is blown away. My favorite though was when my little sister (who is an adult) was playing a zombie game and was on the ground, literally screaming in terror at the top of her lungs, but still shooting at the zombies. In fact, 3 people I have put into Brookhaven demo have nearly instantly demanded I make it stop. It is hilarious to watch them screaming, shooting, and demanding to know how to make it stop, all the while apparently having totally forgotten they can just take the headset off… It is so amazing how you simply buy that this is your new reality now. I love it.

Holopoint is also a real star for me. While it is fun on its own, it is also a pretty good workout. I came pulled off my headset, shirtless, sweating, to find myself in a pitch black room because the sun had set without me knowing it. The future is wonderful.

Aitrus says:

I think they’re going to try to do foot tracking this generation.

particlese says:

You are a monster, but I also kinda wanna try that, but I hate zombies, so I’ll just pray Alien Isolation is being adapted to the Vive as I type. Also:
      Vive. Vive. VIVE. VIVE! VIVE!!! VIVE!!!!!

I was attempting to make the Kool-Aid Man in Tilt Brush last night before a friend rudely responded in the positive to my request to play some ESO (not Vive). I hope to get in some Devil Daggers, too, since it’s been a few da— oh, no. OH NO.

OH YEAAAAAH!
      Vive

15. Darth Gangrel says:

RPS seems to have spyware put into my Steam account, because why else would they have written a “Have You Played… Shadow Warrior?” article when that’s currently what I’m playing right now and will be playing this weekend.

I’m at chapter 11 out of 17 and might finish it this weekend. Then it’s time for Dishonored GoTY and after that I will have played three great games which all are getting sequels this year: Deus Ex, Shadow Warrior and Dishonored.

I still have lots of backlogged games, so I don’t think I will get any of these three games anytime soon, but it feels good to have played them before the sequel is out. That makes me feel like I’m not so far behind, but then again, I haven’t played any Bioshock or Mass Effect games yet.

16. dethtoll says:

I’m going to play the Doom game! Doom doom doom doom doomy doom doom…

I’ve just about blasted through what feels like maybe 2/3rds of it and it’s been everything I ever wanted out of a modern Doom game. I love it to pieces.

Lakshmi says:

Stellaris mixed up with some FF-X. Plus Stellaris has been good fun in multiplayer, so far.

18. Mi-24 says:

None of you are going to try out the hitman elusive target? I am. I also picked up Volume, which is great, as well as trying arma 3 dlc as a result of the combined price drop and sale this weekend.

19. thomas16632 says:

darkest dungeons :)

20. Marblecake says:

I’m leaving for my honeymoon next week, so I swore I didn’t start anything big.
    Now I’m playing Stellaris.
    I think I messed up…

Aitrus says:

As I’ll be spending the weekend in West Virginia away from my beloved desktop, the only thing I’ll be playing is possibly Super Smash Bros Melee on my friend’s GameCube up there, or original Donkey Kong on a machine at this resort building.

22. Kitsunin says:

I’ll be playing Atlas Reactor some more. It’s the most fast-placed tactics games I’ve ever had the pleasure of playing.

zarniwoop says:

Finally got into to Else.Heartbreak() having fiddled around with it over the last few weeks. Got myself a modifier and am hacking away with abandon.

Slow start, but I’m sensing this is a brilliant game, and it really feels as if I’m only scratching the surface so far.

24. derbefrier says:

Stellaris and Doom for me.

25. fish99 says:

Well I’m done with Dark Souls 3 until the DLCs hit now. I’ve beaten it twice, as a 2-hand melee DEX build (no shield) and now as a Pyro. The Pyro was ridiculously easy in comparison to the melee. I did the last 6 bosses (Nameless King, Soul of Cinder, Dragonslayer Armour, Lothric, Dancer, Champion Gundyr) in a combined total of 11 attempts.

Seeing Pontiff Sulyvahn melt in 30 seconds under a rain of great chaos fireballs after the hours I spent as melee learning to dodge all his moves, makes me a little bit disgusted they can’t balance the game better.

Anyway, it is a silly game and I’m over it. Time for something new. Err…..

26. baozi says:

If you’re in Shanghai, visit Suzhou

AutonomyLost says:

I’m far, far away from home this weekend, so I’ll be daydreaming of: continuing to play the incredible Uncharted 4, finishing DS III, and slaying demons in Doom. I quite like the look of the single-player stuff I’ve seen of Doom and am imagining how wonderful it will be gibbing the horrors of Hell in UWS at 90 FPS :)

It’ll all have to wait until at least next weekend though, so daydreaming is all I havever at present.

28. Caiman says:

I’m alternating Dark Souls with Doom. Getting to the end of the former, taking on Manus and Kalameet, before I fill up the Lordvessel (only those who have played the game will make any sense of that!). As for Doom, having a great time with it so far. Only on the second level, but I’m really liking it.

29. Bobtree says:

I’m still playing Stellaris. My experience is so hot and cold with this game. I may try some multiplayer.

30. Det. Bullock says:

Dunno, really.

I’ve just finished Shadows of The Empire and Wing Commander Saga (the fangame not the saga of Wing Commander) and while I still have a few unlockables in Blazblue I’m more in a Street Fighter Alpha mood, but I still have problems grasping all the moves without the possibility of opening a menu and looking them up (yes, there are wikis on the internet but at the moment I can’t print them and my memory is very short term) or a training mode to try them out without Ken shryuken-ing me into oblivion. Though I could beat Alpha 2 M. Bison with Chun Li using only normals and the multi-kick or whatever it’s called.

I wonder why capcom doesn’t slap toghether a “classic street fighter collection” and puts it on steam, at the moment the only one available is a lackluster port of Alpha 2 on GOG.com.

31. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

All this Doom talk made me want to play Doom (the original), so looked up Brutal Doom thinking it was just a graphics mod but it’s its own whole thing. A lot of fun too, I’m enjoying more than Shadow Warrior or Serious Sam. Should scratch that itch between now and the new one going on sale.

32. Zenicetus says:

Stellaris, still figuring it all out. Trying not to get my ass kicked by stronger aliens, trying to keep my fellow crab people from revolting. More revolting than they already are, anyway. Crab people… crab people…

33. Vermintide says:

I was hoping to spend the weekend fragging motha-stickas on D44M, but I’m suffering tremendous lag in multiplayer, so I guess I won’t be. Settings seem to make no difference, I’m getting a silky smooth frame rate, it’s just some sort of glitch causing jerky player models.

Normally I wouldn’t be too fussed, but beta ran 100% fine without even a single issue. How the hell did they manage to break it in the time since beta?

34. GWOP says:

I’m sorry to hear The Toast is shutting down shop. I have only recently read their article on what’s wrong with Racoons, and was planning to become a regular.

Oh well.

35. Ragnar says:

John, I would say “Hi” to my family, but it seems they’ve all been mysteriously killed last night by a chap in a cap.

So I’ll be playing Fran Bow and Mirror’s Edge, so that we may commiserate.

36. cairbre says:

I might try and play EU4 but it hurts my little brain.

37. malkav11 says:

The main game I’ve been playing recently remains Hex: Shards of Fate. I have a character (a Shin’hare Cleric) finally poised to confront the final boss of the final dungeon of the available bit of the campaign, but I suspect I am not going to win the fight (lost once already) and am on my last life, so I’ve paused that bit for the moment. Got a couple days left to snag my last Symeon’s Bounty from the event, and ideally also the equipment for it (already got the rarer equipment for the card it makes).

Beyond that, dipped back into Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II last night and could stand to do some more of that. Or perhaps some SWTOR, work on that Sith Sorceror some more. Or conceivably play some of part II of the White March in Pillars of Eternity even if I still question whether I will actually finish the game due to the optional challenge encounters. Or the Knife of Dunwall and perhaps ultimately Brigmore Witches DLCs for Dishonored so I’m ahead of the LP I’m watching. Or try Sylvio, since RPS seems so impressed with it. Or more Mad Max, a game that is rewarding in many ways when I play it but repetitive enough that that happens only irregularly.

38. EKSelenc says:

Finishing up Thief Gold with that gorgeous HD mod. On expert. Cease thy games and face me, kraven.

39. le4slie says:

I bought Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor the last time it was 75% off. I’m 29 hours in and having a blast with it!

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I have been taking a break from Dark Souls 3 after a broken controller incident (a result of a combination of factors, plus that controller had been pissing me off since I bought it.) But I should be seeing a therapist in the next couple of months, hooray!

So as for games, I don’t know. Rocket League? Stardew Valley? Invisible Inc +DLC? I have been playing a game with Draco and Shalem. I’m not even at the half-way point and Draco is already only 4 pips from being maxed out. Murder is the best!

41. I_have_no_nose_but_I_must_sneeze says:

I’m splitting my affections between Darksiders’ War and The Evil Within’s Sebastian. They’re both good company. I remember there being a lot of grumbling when The Evil Within came out about the obscuring black bars, but I don’t mind them. I find they add to the sense that you’re glimpsing into someone’s unhinged psyche.

On the subject of unhinged psyches, I wish I could easily find and play the Silent Hills on PC. I haven’t tried a single one. Time for a remastering?

Thulsa Hex says:

Oh man, I keep forgetting that I’ve a partial play-through of the Evil Within to get back to. I, too, found a lot of the complaints a tad overblown. It’s not technically perfect, but it’s perfectly playable. I was deliberately playing it late at night, after my wife had gone to bed, just so I could steep in its atmosphere. I found it properly stressful and scary. I sort of unintentionally abandoned it about half way through because of this stress, but that’s defintely not a fault of the game. Rather, I want to BE stressed when playing a horror game, but real-life stuff got real-life stressful around the same time, so I gravitated to more relaxing things in my down time. Looking forward to getting back to it.

Thulsa Hex says:

P.S. Being a PC and Nintendo owner for most of my life, I’ve also not had the opportunity to play the classic Silent Hills. I’m sure I would have loved ’em.

42. anHorse says:

Stellaris

Hopefully I’ll eventually work out how the hell I make the AI accept an alliance, I want to form a federation already.

• Zenicetus says:

Alliances are probably bugged right now, something to do with everything else lining up, but the other faction feeling that you’re too expansionist… or something. Currently waiting a fix.

• anHorse says:

I’m playing a save right now where I’m mucking about and liberating loads of planets just to see how the mechanic works and I’ve reached a point where they’ll happily become my vassals but they won’t join an alliance with me.

There’s also a weird vassal mechanic where the tiny ones get upset because of “relative strength/size” whilst the big ones don’t. This is probably intended but it seems strange to me that a big strong empire is happier being a vassal than a tiny one.

Despite the flaws it’s still already my favourite space game, real time with pause just works so much better than hitting space for x amount of turns as you wait for something

43. jonahcutter says:

Far Cry Primal on survival mode.

Survival mode is pretty good. The much lower population of animals and enemies makes for some fairly evocative moments. You lose a lot of the slapstick, comedic busyness of vanilla. But you gain a lot more creeping tension. Stalking/getting stalked by a jaguar in long grass is pretty tense and fun.

And then there’s the quiet moments of wandering through a forest or meadow at night that are quite good. The sound design is relly good and creates some excellent atmosphere.

With some other house rules limiting map, hunter vision and beast usage it actually becomes a fairly good hunter/stealth-warrior experience.

44. eclipse mattaru says:

I can finally play Dark Souls III at a somewhat decent framerate, so I guess that’s gonna be that for me.

I’m impressed at how much it cost me to get the hang of the faster combat in this one, what with over 500 hours spent in the previous games: I had to roll back and make a pyro/str with healing miracles because there was no way my squishy, pure dex could make it anywhere with so few estus. I’m at the Road of Sacrifices right now and, since I’m making more sense of the whole thing, I might restart with another dex and see if I can do better –I don’t enjoy str weapons much.

The level design is a HUGE improvement over DSII, there’s no denying that, it can get truly beautiful and intricate; but I think I still prefer the first one overall, especially since this one is strangely linear. In that regard it feels a lot closer to Demon’s Souls than to its own series.

Also, it’s annoying that they left out a bunch of improvements the second one did: If nothing else, targeting different body parts would’ve helped a lot with the Testicle Tree, and so far I like dual wielding much more than weapon arts –I barely use those at all, in fact; I’m not a fan of mana-based melee at all.

Anyway, it’s more Dark Souls, and that’s good enough for me so I’m definitely sticking to it \[T]/

• fish99 says:

A lot of bosses in the game do have multiple lock-on spots. It’s bizarre that the Rotted Greatwood doesn’t when it’s so obviously needed. I mostly did that fight not locked-on.

• eclipse mattaru says:

Huh, that’s weird. And good to know too. I guess they didn’t want to make that fight too easy, but they kind of got all the way through to the other side; some of those growths are ridiculously hard to reach. I spent more time just trying to hit the right damned spot than you would think. Also I imagine the fight is pretty much impossible without a seriously ranged weapon, preferably one that makes some kind of arc, which could be annoying for a lot of builds.

Anyway, I reached the Road of Sacrifices yesterday and then I went back to the Hight Wall to have my dex character catch up, I’m definitely getting much better at the game, which pleases me greatly. It just occurred to me that the learning curve was somewhat similar to the first game, and was definitely not in the second; and I guess that’s a good thing.

I really really like the Undead Settlement, by the way. It might be one of my favourite areas in any game ever. There’s just something about the design of the maps and the visual style that just clicks with me.

On a nitpicky note, I just learned that they rolled back the backstabbing animation for the great scythe to the one in DS1. Huge mistake if you ask me, it looks really stupid and DS2 had improved it beautifully.

45. welverin says:

Arkham Knight is getting put on hold because Uncharted 4 came out this week.

AutonomyLost says:

Uncharted 4 is truly a gaming feat. I’m only in Chapter 8 (if I recall correctly) and am simply blown away by what I’ve played, and I know the adventure has merely just begun. I can’t wait to get back to it. Have fun this weekend!

46. goettel says:

I gots a stack of moneys lying here holding position pending your DOOM review. I’ll go play the REAL, shareware one via SideloadVR on my Gear VR while I wait, so don’t hurry. I’m there.

47. jimjim19681968 says:

It’s Witcher 3 for me. Try to complete the base game before the new DLC. Also, loving Nuclear Throne for a 5 minute blast. 6 year old daughter loves The Amazing Frog.

48. kelmorg says:

Xcom 2 and Doom. Better get those two out of the way before Overwatch and Total War: Warhammer at the end of the month!

Captain Narol says:

After sitting on the fence for a while, I started Stellaris yesterday and just can’t stop !

Please send help…

That may be the game that will cure me of my CKII addiction, if it stays so enjoyable once the pleasure of discovery is gone.

Grizzly says:

Stellaris curing you of your CK2 addiction? That’s like bringing about world peace by throwing nuclear bombs around…

… Which is incidently what you can do in HoI4 which is coming out next month aaaaaahhh

50. Chaoslord AJ says:

Mostly Doom in turn with Sandcastle Builder if that can be called a game.