Fallout 4 Resurrection Brings Greenery To The Wasteland

I love trees and I love mods and I love mods that bring trees to games that previously had very few trees. That’s what the Fallout 4 Resurrection mod does. There’s a video below and you can download it now.

I’m always impressed that each Fallout game gets a mod like this, because it seems like a thing that should be much harder – or at least more time consuming – than it appears to be. How do you seed a whole world with trees and grass like this, when it was designed to be covered in cement and ash?

Like that. Isn’t that prettier than before?

In fairness, the video doesn’t just show the Resurrection mod, but a small collection of others that improve the look of the wasteland. That includes Grasslands, Photorealistic Commonwealth and more, all of which can be downloaded via Fallout Nexus at those links or in those in the video’s description.

In some ways, this is actually making Fallout 4 more realistic, because despite popular conception trees can survive nuclear bombs and can re-grow afterwards relatively quick.

Thanks, PC Gamer.

From this site

1. mtomto says:

I stopped playing the game rather early. Maybe I’m old… but I just got fed up with that dreary world.

• PancakeWizard says:

Same here, but I think there was more to why I stopped playing than the sea of brown. It was Eyeroll: the Game, and I just couldn’t bare it after 2 hours.

• Legion1183 says:

I think I lasted about 10 hours, which sucks. I started getting bored and forcing myself to play through it at around 5 hours in maybe, and then decided it was time to give up as I have a large backlog and I was wasting my time. Annoyed that I wasted 10 hours on the game as its not like I have much time for games as it is.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

At least there is a blue sky to complement the brown and gray and not just a locked cavalier oblique perspective of brown ground with brown stuff on top.

2. Palladian says:

This looks so great. I’ve always been a little disappointed in the grey-ness of the Bethesda Fallouts since in FO2 nature had recovered in lots of areas, and a post-post apocalyptic society was emerging. Compare that to FO4 where criminally negligent city dwellers have debris, wrecks and even valuable materials just sitting at their walls as if the bombs had dropped yesterday.

I’m going to give FO4 another chance with this mod, though.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

The same nature of mutated and scorched blackish-brown trees and brown shrubbery as F3 and F4 though. The Mojave in New Vegas is the greenest of the wastelands, irony.

3. tomaac says:

Chernobyl has proved that even nuclear wasteland is supposed to be green not brown.

This mod looks like I’m going to play F4 again.

4. padger says:

Lovely. The drab did actually get to me in F4. This could be just the ticket.

5. tomimt says:

Ah, from the looks of the modders have soon fixed F4 to a point it might be worth to buy it.

6. Rizlar says:

You just replace all the spindly weed and mouldering concrete files with lush foliage and moss files. That’s how game code works, right?

I know nothing.

• RedViv says:

That’s roughly what’s happening actually. Well-made replacers for the existing dead shrubbery and trees are the biggest part of these sort of mods.

7. Greg Wild says:

Looks nice. Now I just need someone to remove all the skeletons in people’s inhabited homes!

• Chem says:

Hey that’s how we actually keep our homes in New England. Don’t knock our style.

• dontnormally says:

Literally no one has even a second of time to spare to move human remains from their primary domicile.

8. SexyHomie says:

Time to boot up Fallout back again. I got very quickly fed up with overall bleached monochromatic colors everywhere. I get what they tried to achieve, but it feels kind of cheap. They should have at least put some small place with rich greenery, just to relax for a bit, instead of being constantly bashed by that depressing dead landscape. I think it would have quiet huge impact on player. This might be slightly overkill since everything is filled with green, but it still looks much more appealing than original.

9. K_Sezegedin says:

Wow, – I’ll never play this POS but this looks like a great idea and execution.

10. geldonyetich says:

It looks gorgeous… but, despite the general complaints of Fallout’s washed out aesthetic, I think that much greenery sort of defeats the point of it being a post-apocalyptic setting. If it’s not unbearably bleak, why drop the bombs at all?

11. a very affectionate parrot says:

Looks great, maybe they went a bit too overboard in covering every structure in moss but I much prefer this to Fallout 4’s default grey sludge.
    Reminds me a little of The Last of Us, while I found that game tedious I really loved the design of the overgrown urban areas.

12. Bing_oh says:

Looks nice enough, though I still don’t get the obsession with “greening-up” Fallout. Besides the fact that it’s a fictional world and the dreariness is supposed to convey the accepted “post-apocalyptic world” aesthetic, it’s also not fair to say that plant life would survive in that world. Neither Hiroshima, Nagasaki, nor Chernobyl are really good comparisons for what would happen in a world devastated by a GLOBAL nuclear war.

• chromedbustop says:

The only reason brown and drab is considered the standard post-doomsday look is because so many people were obsessed with recreating Mad Max.

If you look at movies and various other stories that dealt with a post-doomsday world, but were made BEFORE Mad Max, many of them show a much greener earth. That’s part of why Mad Max stood out so much, because it was the first popular post-doomsday story to really show this dry, brown, dead world.

But the vast majority of material (both real and imagined) on what a post-doomsday world might look like points to one that is greener, not browner.

• chromedbustop says:

I just wanted to add that a return to green becomes even more likely when you take into account that over 200 yeas have gone by. A post-doomsday world set 10 years, 20, 50, maybe even 100 years might still be more of the look people now commonly associate with that kind of world. But life is extremely resilient. After 200 years it’s easier to believe in a green earth than a brown one.

• K_Sezegedin says:

Yeah but how many years is Bethesda’s Fallouts supposed to be after the war, a couple hundred?

The goal of nuclear bombardment wouldn’t be to wipe out all plant life, which would be impossible anyway like trying to wipe out all insect life with nukes.

Hell I bet it would be hard to kill as many humans as post-apoc scenarios usually depict.

But anyway sparsely populated uncultivated land would not be targeted, and even in areas that were hit soil is a great shield against heat and radiation. Coupled with plant’s natural tolerance for radiation you’d have a lot of local seeds and roots surviving fine and they’d be supplemented with colonizing seeds from the non-targeted areas.

And i don’t think we’d need to worry about a lack of pollinating insects, the bugs’ll do just as well as the plants.

Unless the war caused long term climate changes inhospitable to plants you’d probably see them take over pretty quickly.

I feel like Bethesda patterend FO 3 and 4 after 1 and 2 and were both following like you said, the accepted post-apocalyptic world aesthetic – and also kinda forgetting/not realizing that the originals were set in areas that were already arid pre-war.

Andy_Panthro says:

A bit too much green.

I like the trees and grass, but does everything need to be covered in vines and moss? Some of the “after” shots are definitely lacking in contrast.

particlese says:

To say I might actually play this would be irresponsible, but I do like the looks of it, and it gets me excited for whatever TES6 is. Maybe even for a TES<5 HD. Wait a second…I have a bazillion times more graphicsability now! Oblivion's "Unique Landscapes" mod pack was the best game overhaul ever, in my opinion, but man did it make my computer crawl back in the day. No more!

caff says:

Sorry but this doesn’t wash with me. It’s like all those SweetFX profiles and mod packs that aim to enhance textures/foliage models/colour balance but end up ruining the feel of the game.

Despite that, I’m glad they exist, because someone somewhere inevitably does something beautiful with mods. Mainly boobies. But that’s ok.

• SexyHomie says:

Yep… just installed it. It really is kinda overkill. It feels refreshing but there is way too much green now. Still, at least we have options to choose from.