Manifold Garden Is So Beautiful Right Now

We’ve written about Escher-esque puzzle game Manifold Garden [official site] before but only under its previous name, Relativity, I think. I wanted to make sure we noted the name change but also was happy for an excuse to post lovely gifs from the game as it’s progressed!

Maybe don’t click onwards if you get motion sick easily, but otherwise they’re beautifully hypnotic:

Here’s the description of the game so you can get a bit of flavour beyond lovely geometry:

Manifold Garden (previously known as Relativity) is an exploration puzzle game that imagines a universe with a different set of physical laws. Set in an Escher-esque world filled with secrets and mysteries, you utilize a unique gravity manipulation mechanic to turn walls into floors. Learn to see the world through whole new perspectives as you navigate mind-boggling architecture and solve seemingly impossible puzzles.

I follow the game’s devlog on the TIG forums and it’s just this absolutely beautiful strange thing that gives me a little pleasure spike every time I see it in my feed reader.

My favourites are from the experiments Chyr was doing with volumetric lighting. Here’s one that was pretty full-on:

And here are some that go more subtle:

Developer William Chyr also streams work on his Twitch channel Monday-Friday from 3pm CT (20:00 UTC). The release date is currently “2016”. Oh, and here’s a trailer from last September because people also like “video content” I believe.

From this site

Harlander says:

Nice.

There’s always so much pretty stuff coming out of tigsource…

Ben King says:

Every once in a while I still boot up that trailer and watch it on loop for 15 min. Even watching William Chyr’s dev streams on youtube I can’t quite determine how it will play, but it’s certainly stunningly pretty.

3. vgagallery says:

For those following this game who love its art style — VGA Gallery has a series of giclees and posters by William Chyr from Manifold Garden. Check them out and enjoy! link to videogameartgallery.com

4. jj2112 says:

Looks great, like a cross between NaissanceE and Antichamber.

• Mi-24 says:

When I first saw the cover image of this article I thought it looked like exactly that

• Seraph says:

If RPS had said these were screenshots from a new Antichamber expansion, I’d be none the wiser.

5. madAzrael says:

If you live near cologne, germany, and want to play a exclusive preview of that game, you can do that until end of this week.

There is an Escher exhibition at the Max Ernst Museum in Brühl where you can play it.

Also on display are other Escher-inspired games like “Monument Valley” and “Back To Bed” as well as three (Samsung Gear)VR experiences created by students of the cologne game lab – the institute for game development and research at the “TH Köln” in cologne.

I’m one of the students and I really recommend the exhibition

Sadly only until May 22nd.

Link to the museum (german only, sorry):
    link to maxernstmuseum.lvr.de

Link to very short article in english with some pictures:
    link to colognegamelab.de
    link to colognegamelab.de

• Memnarch1113 says:

How dare you come into this comment chain and tell me about extremely interesting and exciting things that I can’t have because I don’t live somewhere.

On another note, my school just got a Samsung gear and we’re trying to figure out what to do with it. Any chance those student projects are downloadable somewhere? I’m sure the head of our MakerLab would be very interested.

• madAzrael says:

Hey Memnarch1113

Sorry for teasing you
        The preview is very short and not as pretty as the screenshots suggest – better wait for the real thing ;)

Be creative! There is so much you can do :p
        Two projects used Unity and one Unreal. It is easy enough to set up a project and get started.

It would not run on your device, because I would need the Oculus Signature File (osig) for your device first.

If you’re interested in source code I have to check if it’s okay to share it. You can contact me via email “g[at]geraldschenke.de”

but here are some moving images – a report in the local news
        (german again, sorry)
        link to youtube.com
        0:20-0:45 and 2:55-end

6. Ross Angus says:

This is a game which is crying out for a Philip Glass soundtrack.

caff says:

That’s really very pretty.

8. Josh W says:

This makes me think of something, I’d love a game where you can flip between floors and ceilings etc. but the acceleration as you approach surfaces is like the automatic closers you get on posh cupboards. Fall at terminal velocity, slow suddenly just before the ground, hang for a split second, and then float down gently.

Might be annoying if the air control doesn’t work correctly, but in a game where you’re rearranging gravity and falling primarily as a puzzle solution, it could be really nice, like the exact opposite of those crashing floor-hitting entrances that ghost in the shell popularised, more gentle than it’s normally physically possible to be.

• Robomonk says:

That sounds like nice idea. I like it. It would be cool to see that sort of thing implemented and experience it. Though, I’m not sure if they’ll have it in this game.