Disgaea Devs NIS Bringing Phantom Brave To PC

Phantom Brave [official site] will be the next old JRPG that Disgaea publishers NIS bring over to PC. It started in PlayStation 2 in 2004, jumped to Wii in 2009, then PSP, and will finally call round our way this July. This is beyond my area of expertise but our chums Eurogamer quite liked it on PS2 and they seem sensible sorts – they label leftovers in the fridge, I bet – so sure, cool. Also, it sounds like it’s about duffing folks up by summoning ghosts into trees and starfish? I’m in favour of that. I may be misunderstanding.

As you’d expect from that era of NIS games, Phantom Brave is a turn-based, top-down tactical battle-y RPG. Protagonist Marona is a mercenary with the ability to see phantoms, and here’s where I get hazy. So, every object on the battlefield can be a weapon, and you can summon and confine your ghost buddies to briefly turn objects into troops on your side, and also you can throw things at people, and you can level up items and… Say, reader dear, if you played Phantom Brave, do tell us what you made of it, won’t you? Do you fancy revisiting it twelve years later?

NIS America have opened signups for beta testing, if you want to help. (No, this isn’t me trying to harvest your personal information – they tweeted the link and everything). Given the sorry state that NIS launched PC port of 2003’s Disgaea in, hopefully this is a sign they’ve learned from their mistakes and will do better this time.z

Phantom Brave will launch for Windows through Steam on July 25th, this trailer says.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. SaintAn says:

Great, but I hope they bring the other Disgaea games to PC and make sure they work this time. Love Disgaea. Would be awesome to get some mod support for them too, but they’re Japanese and the Japanese are way behind the west when it comes to business competence, so I don’t expect it.

• Seraph says:

“…they’re Japanese and the Japanese are way behind the west when it comes to business competence…” Wow, that’s quite a statement.

2. Haborym says:

My buddy saw this happening around the time they announced Disgaea for pc.

• Haborym says:

Yeah, you can summon ghosts of dudes you murder into starfish and trees, and you can even pick up the starfish and trees and use them to murder things with. My Marona has a pot that fires laser beams that she uses to kill stuff with.

3. int says:

Can I as a Phantom Brave scalp people or can I only scalp other phantoms?

4. MadTinkerer says:

“Also, it sounds like it’s about duffing folks up by summoning ghosts into trees and starfish? I’m in favour of that. I may be misunderstanding.”

No, that’s correct. You have to remember that the Disgaea Universe actually started with a strategy RPG that was a Disney-style fairy tale musical where you summoned puppets to fight for you. Every game set in the Disgaea Universe has some weird game mechanic.

5. Themadcow says:

Not sure why they’re bringing the decidedly average, estranged brother of Disgaea to the PC before D2 but I hope they eventually get around to releasing Disgaea 5 – it’s rather excellent.

6. DDark says:

I want Disgaea 2, 4 and 5.

7. Seraph says:

Kind of strange that the backgrounds seem to be HD, but the characters were kept low-rez. FF9 did it the other way ’round, which makes more sense to me. If they can shine up all the backgrounds, it seems like they would be able to do the characters as well.

• ChrisGWaine says:

To me it just looks like it’s running in a higher res (and maybe better texture filtering plays a part).

8. fonewearl says:

This makes me very happy – Phantom Brave is my favourite out of all of the PS2 era strategy RPGs!

9. Ahtaps says:

Definitely liking this pattern. Hopefully Makai Kingdom is next.