Trine Devs Release Stealth Game Shadwen

My favourite part of the Trine games is zipping around as the Thief with her grappling hook, so I was excited to see a hook-swinging stealth game from creators Frozenbyte. That’s Shadwen [official site], which launched today. Shadwen’s a medieval-y third-person stealth game about an assassin who befriends a young girl, larking about with sneaking and swinging and knocking-crates-onto-soldiers-ing, with Superhot’s ‘time moves only when you do’ and Prince of Persia’s time-rewinding on the side.

So! Shadwen is an assassin on a mission to kill a king. She can climb and swing on her grappling hook, stab men in the neck, pull and knock physics objects around for distraction and murder, and craft gadgets to murder and help. For some reason, she’s also escorting a young orphan named Lily, clearing paths for her to slip past the guards.

I played the demo Frozenbyte released a few months ago, and sadly didn’t particularly dig it. But maybe you’ll enjoy it more?

Shadwen is out for Windows, Mac, and Linux from Steam, GOG, and the Humble Store. A launch discount brings it to £11.04/14,44€/$14.44, then it’ll normally cost £12.99/16,99€/$16.99. Here’s the launch trailer:

From this site

1. Gandor says:

Well, after the crap they pulled with Trine 3 there is no way I’m buying anything from them again.
    Maybe if they went back and finished it, but that’s not gonna happen.

2. qrter says:

The idea of a game centering around escorting another character doesn’t appeal that much to me.

3. Blake Casimir says:

And not first person. Damnit. :( Well I might try the demo…

4. falcon2001 says:

Well this seems pretty cool. Oh, it’s a perma escort quest? Pass.

I like Trine 1+2, never played 3 although I heard it was pretty divisive. This sounds cool but the only game that ever pulled off escort quests not being awful was RE4, and literally just that. Unless the escort is invincible or something.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Whaaaat? The parts with Ashley were the worst part of that game.

5. Eukatheude says:

Well, I like stealth games and I like vertical movement.
    It doesn’t seem like the demo is available anymore though.

6. Josh W says:

Hmm, I’m not sure I want screen-splattering execution animations in my bouncy physics stealth game. However, bouncy physics stealth is a pretty good idea in itself.

7. Michael Fogg says:

I’d love the RPS team to take a closer look at this.

8. somnolentsurfer says:

Huh. In my head I’d instinctively translated “escorting a young girl” as “like Ico”. On reflection this is unlikely to be the case.

Benratha says:

Probably my brain waking up, but I saw Shadwen as “Shadwell” (Siadwell = link to youtube.com)

10. tonicer says:

Awww damn i thought it was first person for some reason.

11. consolitis says:

Heh, I see the tired, half-asleep lazy commenters above have missed a valid and (to me at least) obvious point. A point that makes me want to buy this, even if it’s flown over the heads of you morons. We don’t see too many “medieval” games not all about slaying ghosts, monsters, giant spiders and casting spells. At least this is more in line with the Thief series, where magic and monsters aren’t the main focus. We need more games like Thief, Mount & Blade, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Medieval Total War and the first Assassin’s Creed set in a dark atmospheric medieval setting. What we don’t need, are yet more games all about the Harry Potter bullshit.

• MrCrun says:

That was needlessly offensive. Escort missions are famously mishandled and Trine 3 pissed off a lot of people by being half a game. Those are good points.
      But you’re all “ignore whether it’s good, look at the setting!!1!! you ignorant shits”
      You must be popular.