Have You Played… Team Fortress 2?

If so, which version did you play? Team Fortress 2 has changed so much during its lifetime that it might have been a tight, retrospectively austere cartoon multiplayer shooter that valued teamwork, or a cavalcade of wacky weaponry and that seems more geared towards chaos than consideration.

I like both versions of the game, and I think the core pleasures of the game remain even after a thousand hats and weapon modifications were added. Because to me, Team Fortress 2 was always about small, independently satisfying interactions.

I’m talking about the fun of rocket jumping as the soldier, of double-jumping as the Scout, of backstabbing as the spy, as airblasting people off ledges as the Pyro. I liked that I could join a server, read the game over a few minutes, and know which class to go to make myself most useful to my team, but it was these simpler satisfactions that I was really playing for.

So I’ve no problem with adding to those satisfactions. The best addition for me was the Sniper’s bow, because bows and arrows are always wonderful and there’s nothing more satisfying than pinning an enemy to the wall with a headshot. But there were plenty of other joys introduced as each class was expanded with new weapons, and the game was expanded with new modes.

There’s always grumbling about what Team Fortress 2 became, but let’s try to stay positive. What era of the game did you like best, and why?

From this site

Xan says:

I played TF2 before it became hats-simulator!

Yes, I remember time when there were no hats at all.

I did play for some time afterwards as well (total according to Steam: 106 hours), but gradually drifted away from it, and then there was a period of my life with poor internet connectivity. Now I would feel like a stranger there. It’s a scary thought to return.

• Abacus says:

Recently got back into it in a big way after taking a couple years break. I’ve played it since the Orange Box preorder beta and while it has suffered a lot of bloat- some welcome, some not- I can safely say a lot of the game is still a hell of a lot of fun in ways that no other game can imagine. I guess I’ll be the first to draw Overwatch into the discussion and say that, having played the open beta, I can’t see Overwatch filling the same gap that TF2 has for nearly 10 years. And for me it comes down to those satisfying interactions, like rocket jumping.

Plus one of the reasons I fell back into TF2 was seeing Muselk’s videos on YouTube. Some of the weapon combos he uses make the game incredibly varied and infinitely fun.

• Kollega says:

I played TF2 before it was a hat simulator, and stopped when it became one.

I got the game in December 2007, with the rest of the Orange Box, fell in love with the art style, was a huge fan for the first two years, started having doubts when the Engineer update introduced the “Australian supermen” nonsense, was majorly disgusted by the Mann-Conomy update, and dropped the game around the first Australian Christmas. I simply had it with the destruction of the art style and the game’s less-is-more ethos, with hats for $20 a pop (the original price for Polycount hats) when I could buy an awesome game for less than that, even back then, and with cosmetic item updates that I wouldn’t ever get eating up my limited Internet traffic.

Yes, I am bitter. But only because TF2 was, on release, one of those “perfect games” that looked as if it was designed specifically for my sensibilities (Ratchet & Clank, Just Cause, and Scrap Mechanic are three others that deserve this epithet), and I was – and still am – pissed off that it was turned into a mockery of itself for the sake of profit.

• dontnormally says:

I agree with you 100%.

• Kollega says:

Thank you. It’s… honestly just great that I’m not alone in my “bring back pre-Mannconomy TF2!” sentiment. There was just so much promise in the early days… and then Valve went and gradually turned it into an overly fat, overly chaotic cash cow. Sigh.

• PseudoKnight says:

I had almost entirely the same experience. I preordered the Orange Box, fell in love with TF2 (its aesthetic and cohesive balanced play), started losing interest around the War update. I loved the first content updates as they were filling in some gaps (except for the stupid achievements), but then it became clear they were just adding clutter. When it went F2P I felt abandoned entirely, and that the new vision for TF2 isn’t the glorious gameplay I loved.

They’ve done similar things (but not as bad) with some of my other favorite Valve franchises. I’m just kind of sad about it all.

• PseudoKnight says:

Speaking of their other games, I played CS fairly regularly for over 12 years. I wasn’t enthusiastic about CS:GO, but when they started with the weapon skins and unlocks, I just stopped playing altogether. It seems I’m no longer their target customer. I was a day one Steam adopter and regularly preordered their games, something I almost never did with other developers. *sigh*

• sparrowstorm says:

I played a ton of TF2, and I enjoyed my time with it a hell of a lot! But then I drifted away from it and could never get back into the game…

As for the cosmetic stuff and such, I do love hats. Oh yes, I do. But I think Valve took it too far. It went from some nice, desireable unlocks and event items to a money-making machine that was used and abused.

I do believe I stopped playing mostly around the Mann-conomy update, too. It brought good stuff, but also dark terrors of the night…

• silentdan says:

I really enjoyed pre-hat TF2. I was overjoyed that such a fun shooter wasn’t burdened by an unlock treadmill, as almost every other fun shooter was. Then, they added unlocks and hats and shit and I just uninstalled it. It intentionally removed the only thing that made it a must-play game for me. A couple of years later, some friends really wanted to have a TF2 session, and I reluctantly reinstalled. I played for 5 minutes, realized that nothing was familiar, and immediately deleted it. As far as I’m concerned, TF2 vanished with the introduction of unlocks/hats/mannconomy and became TF3. I loved TF2. Can’t stand TF3.

• RatherUncreativeName says:

When they added hats, unlocks, etc., what about it removed what made it a must-play? Not trying to be overly aggressive (because most of the messages I make on other websites unintentionally sound that way), but you didn’t specify what about them ruined it for you.

In my opinion, the unlocks don’t entirely ruin the game, since the stock is almost always the most versatile option. The unlocks are (for the most part) alternative playstyles that add some variety to the game, and are 100% not needed to get the full TF2 experience.

As for hats, I agree they’re pretty much worthless. Thankfully, there’s a way to disable seeing hats, I just don’t know how to do it myself. Also, the one situation where I could see hats being valuable is if you make sure to only get hats through crafting it yourself, because while the hat itself is just as pointless as it was before, the effort of getting all the metal from the drop system to craft a hat turns it from useless pixels into a representation of all the effort you put into it. Then when you get a full set of 3 hats for one class (something that might be difficult with the pretty much 1/9 chance every time you craft), you can reflect and say “Even if this set is incoherent garbage visually, it still has great sentimental value.”

If jumping back into TF2 after all this time is overwhelming, then I’d recommend just spending more time with it. Once you get a feel for why you’re getting crits instead of an uber and why a bugle gives you minicrits, I’m sure it’ll be as recognizable as before.

For at least a year, I played nothing but Xbox TF2 and got every achievement, because I never had access to a computer (and at that time, even if I did, I probably couldn’t afford the pre-F2P price tag), so I have some experience with pre-hat TF2. This was probably an incoherent mess of a comment, so if nothing makes sense, just disregard me as the rambling crazy guy I usually am when commenting online.

• AFashionableHat says:

I, too, am 100% a pre-hat TF2smith. It’s not that I feel like I have to play the with all of the (mostly bad) options that were added, it’s that it’s not as much fun when _other people do_. The original game had strong, well-defined classes that were built around serving a role in a team. This feels watered-down, it feels less cohesive, it feels less _fun_. I don’t enjoy looking at the stats page and going “okay, we’ve got two demomen, so I’ll play medic instead, even though demoman’s my favorite” and seeing both of them being mouth-breathing sword-wagglers who aren’t actually contributing meaningfully to the team before I sigh and exit the game.

This is why, at least for now, Overwatch is going to have my attention for a while: because it brings back that exact magic that made TF2 so great for a while.

• MajorLag says:

I could not agree more, and created an account to say so. TF2, as originally released, was the most polished, balanced, tightly designed team FPS I’ve ever played. Only the original Natural Select (v1.04) is anywhere close in my memory.

Watching it be systematically destroyed in those first few years post-unlocks was heartbreaking. Then again, it’s probably for the best. If it were still what it once was I’d almost certainly be spending a large amount of free time playing it instead of doing productive things.

• dontnormally says:

Pre-hats: loved it. miss it. would play regularly if possible.

Post-hats: what is this chaotic nonsense. what is happen. why.

• eeguest says:

Agreed. I loved it when it came out. Then I made a break, and then they introduced hats. Maan, I cannot figure out the game menu now.

2. Coming Second says:

The game was in great shape in [year that poster started playing it]. Everything was well balanced and the community was terrific. Unfortunately, then came [content patch that dropped in subsequent year]. It was ruined forever after that, and I have no idea why people continue to play it.

• FreeTom says:

Where
      [year that poster started playing it] < 2010
      and
      [content patch that dropped in subsequent year] ≡ Mann-Conomy

3. Stevostin says:

“Have You Played… Team Fortress 2?”

Hmmm yes. Yes, you could say that.

The game as always been perfect as long as I could play Sniper on Orange X. Far more enjoyable than the game they had in mind, a bit like Rocket Arena was so much better than Quake 3.

4. Yachmenev says:

My favorite FPS.

*Functional Graphics – instead of the brown and grey mess most other FPS games have, here you can actually see what things are, with bright contrasting colors and good models.
    *Payload is the best game mode I know in FPS games.
    *Some people might loathe the hats, but I love to play a game that so regurlarly still put out wortwhile content.
    *Love the pacing. In games like CoD and BF, I can barel register who shot me, while in TF2 you are most of the time given time to react.
    *And it’s funny, instead of being dark and gritty.

• April March says:

“*Payload is the best game mode I know in FPS games.”

Absolute truth.

I also rather like Payload Race, but without a losing condition (other than the other team winning) it can easily become a drawn-out stalemate.

5. Author X says:

I played until around the War! update, I can’t say it was necessarily worse or anything but I was losing interest as the classes became less well-defined by adding loadout customization and whatnot. I do still enjoy the comics and animations, though.

My favorite version, though, is the one where they just rebooted it from scratch, to plan the class variations and plot from the beginning instead of making it up as they go and creating a big cluster-f. You know, the one they beta’d a week ago that releases next week. That’s my favorite version of Team Fortress 2 so far.

6. Synesthesia says:

One of my favourite games of all time. Logged over a thousand hours, no regrets. Became quite the demoman, and a pain in the ass huntsman sniper. (I still have my strange version of it!)

My brother even went semipro for a bit, if i recall correctly.

So, so good, with such a high skill ceiling. Most content updates were pretty good, disregard moaners. I thought the wrangler was the most OP thing ever conceived, until you learn to think around it. Almost no additional content is as good as the vainilla weapons, tbh.

Except for the backburner. God damn the backburner to hell.

• Coming Second says:

The backburner? Really? Has nowhere near the degreaser’s capacity for grief.

• Synesthesia says:

The degreaser required some skill to use properly though (except on first spawn), i’ve managed to rocket jump with reflected rockets some times.

The backburner just came out of nowhere and gibbed you. I hate it not for balance, but because it doesn’t really give you a chance.

• Phasma Felis says:

Is it that different from the Spy’s entire M.O.?

• soundofsatellites says:

Hahaha Syn, the community was a big thing back then before the whole F2P ordeal, we had what? 5 decent servers and the skill level was pretty even leading to truly epic matches.

For me, after dunno, 3k hours logged or so, it was pretty much a thing of beautiful balance. Even the first batches of unlocks added a great degree of variety for tactics and depth (6v6’s gunboats roamer anybody?). Never cared for the virtual sombreros and the game was very rewarding when played well, which worked great along the community sense -as in finding some great server with even greater community- of TF2 players.

And if you want to talk about annoying pyros, the first floghostiginator -and all that zap zap sh<3t weapons for that matter- was absolutely the worst. Backburner wasn't even worth it, specially after degreaser. *AND DONT FORGET TO SPYCHECK*

gritz says:

I really hope Overwatch gets its own version of 2Fort.

8. vnsl says:

I clock in at about 350 hours played, but stopped when the events and crafting were introduced, around the time the halloween headless horseman stuff happened. I’m a bit of a purist when it comes to shooters and the hundreds of guns, hats, trinkets and mods kinda ruined the fun for me.
    I’m not unhappy though, I had my fill of TF2 either way. It’s a great game.

9. Clavus says:

I played pretty much throughout all the class updates. Put upwards of 800 hours into the game apparently. The cosmetics never really bothered me, but they did go off into the deep end at some point. Kinda miss the more stylistically consistent TF2, but oh well, I’m not the one playing it any more.

• vnsl says:

Planetary systems circling around your tower of hats is kinda ridiculous. And you are right, it messed with the fantastic art direction of the core game.

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Thankfully the emphasis they put on readable silhouettes and distinctive animations in the original character design initially means that very little of the cosmetics hurts your ability to play the game. At worst you can’t easily distinguish from a distance which particular weapon someone is carrying, but that’s usually resolved once you see them fire it.

10. Cooper says:

I uninstalled TF2 just last night for the first time since release (to make space for the 40GB+ Wolfensein I’ve had sitting in my library for a while…)

I originally started playing when it was part of the orange box (we should still be amazed at how much of an amazing deal that was…) and it was my main multiplayer game for years (over 1500 hours I think…).

I really thought the new hats and weapons made the game better. Though I know that’s not the popular opinion now… I never took the game that seriously, and enjoyed it when the game increasingly took itself less seriously.

I think I drifted away after the closure of the PCGamer TF2 server. That was always a fun place to play, in that people actually used voice comms and there was good general chatter and just nice people playing a fun game. Good atmosphere. Never found another server quite like it (not that I looked hard) and so the appeal kinda waned…

phuzz says:

Oh man yeah, the Orange Box was amazing.
      Team Fortress 2 (at the time a unique looking sequel to a Quake mod)
      Portal (a completely unknown experiment that no-one really understood)
      and the main draw of the bundle, HalfLife2: Episode 2

And then it unlocked and the game that everyone had been waiting for (HL2:Ep2), turned out to be pretty damn good, but the other two, wow, the other two turned out to be two of the most influential games to be released for a long old time.

The Orange box was blooming amazing.

11. Frosty says:

What makes a good multiplayer game great? I’d certainly put community up there and in that respect Team Fortress 2 was magic.

Summer of 2009 through 2010 I played TF2 nonstop. It wasn’t perfect, class updates were frustrating as heck as everybody seemed to dogpile onto the new class (the spy update was the absolute worse). But the community man.

I played on a server that only ever played 2Fort. There was semi regular crew, all with mics. The server admins said no swearing and enforced it. People used to congratulate each other on getting revenge killed after dominating a player. We once spent a whole match talking about Barack Obama receiving the noble peace prize. We helped a recent american expat find a decent mexican meal in Southampton (well, we tried). We listened to a man with the most growly of deep voices tell of his attempts to get into voice acting. One medic referred to me as his chubby love monkey, as we rampaged through the map.

At the centre was this absolutely astonishing game. It was so bright and colorful and so rarely frustrating, I played multiple classes and learnt just where to place a rocket when my enemies were blasted into the sky. We all got halos because none of us were dirty cheats.

I haven’t played TF2 in years. Partially it’s because the free to play elements have changed the game, there’s too much relearning for me to do with subclasses. But mostly I think it’s because I have this intense nostalgia for something which no longer exists, cannot exist and I’d rather not try and relive those memories.

It is a very special game to me.

• Abacus says:

This is one of the reasons I don’t see Overwatch taking off in quite the same way TF2 did. I feel like pubs and dedicated servers are such an essential part of modern day FPS games that it seems like a bit of a mistake to neglect them.

• Synesthesia says:

This is the reason I’m not buying overwatch. Dedicated servers are an absolute must for these community centered FPS’s. Drop enabled local servers were an absolute blast.

• stringerdell says:

Overwatch does have dedicated servers though? Good thing too,youd never reach the end of a round otherwise with the amount of people that quit games early.

• Shinard says:

Wait, does it have a server browser? I didn’t spot it in the open beta, though I admit I was having too much fun in game to spend long in the menus.

• Wisq says:

Dedicated servers, yes. Private & moddable servers, no.

• Synesthesia says:

whoops, meant to reply to frosty up there. Why the hell can’t we have a proper comment section?

• Anthony Python says:

As I recall they will be adding in a server list, and when that happen’s that most likely mean’s they will give us the tools to create are own server’s for it. why provide a server list if not? cause there wont be that many server’s at first maybe around 150 vanilla server’s if that? However I haven’t heard of them saying anything about releasing their New unnamed Engine’s SDK for level design’s. that would be very awesome. as we all know Blizzard does in-house engines for most of their games(hearthstone is an exception)

12. C0llic says:

The multiplayer shooter that all others are judged by and sadly still fail. It is just perfectly designed. Even TF2 itself fails against it now in my opinion; the updates eventually ended up diluting and complicating the experience beyond the point I could keep on enjoying it.

• C0llic says:

Post release, the high-point was the medic update – it added something that truly enriched the game (the kritzkreig!) rather than just obfuscating it.

13. geldonyetich says:

I played TF2 before it was all about the hats.

14. int says:

Yes. T’was a game I had been longing for since 1999 way back when it looked like it was gonna be a bit like Battlefield but then Battlefield came out.

15. Monchberter says:

Played it since beta and have always loved its tone, style and gameplay. It’s brought me more hours of fun than all other games I’ve ever played combined. I’ve run community servers, made lifelong friends and had some of my best ever game experiences with TF2.

I’ve gone with the changes over the years as I’ve always viewed the game as a testbed for ideas and paying out for (almost entirely trivial) content has not been problematic for me as I want to give back to a game that’s given me so much joy.

Best update for me was the first Pyro update when they added airblasting and the flare gun and ungimped the Pyro (although your mileage may vary on this point).

16. iainl says:

I quite liked it when it turned up in the Orange Box, though it took very much a back seat to Portal. But by the time the hats arrived I’d already passed the point of Just Not Getting It anywhere near as much as any other player, and decided it wasn’t worth annoying my team by being rubbish at them.

I barely touched any team-based multiplayer since, until I recently found Destiny rather fun on the consoles, on account of a combination of seventeen tonnes of autoaim and incredibly floaty joypad controls making it far more about figuring out the right place to be than being able to point a mouse at targets.

17. Chris Evans says:

I’ve got no problem with what TF2 became and now is, but I lost focus, and interest, in it once it became a game of unlocking gear (and hats).

I had loved the game in the early days, it felt focused and tight. That’s what I remember about it, the good days.

18. maninahat says:

Was and still is among one of my favourite games, even though I haven’t played it in a good five years or so.

I don’t mind them adding a ton of new weapons, though the constant accessories and repaints do tend to make things a bit confusing. My biggest gripe is actually one I’ve always had with the game, in that servers were constantly dicking around with the basic match mechanics, so that one map would go on for 900 days without end, recycling Quake fx for announcements. It was hard finding a server that wasn’t a slog or pointlessly adding this bullshit.

• Sin Vega says:

Yeah, this was always a big problem (I only started playing in 2009, mind). It was hard to find any server at all that didn’t either force voice chat (blacklisted, tia) or fundamentally break the game with pointless mods like upping the player limit (screwing up the very carefully tested and balanced maps) and instant respawns (because eternal stalemate and never learning from your mistakes are preferable to waiting 20 seconds). And the lack of good rotation meant a lot of servers wore out fast.

19. Eightball says:

I put in 500 hours into TF2, before, during, and after hats introduction. I think I just had my fill.

I liked one aspect of the hats – I managed to sell a rare drop I got for like $100. I made money playing TF2 (if time isn’t money).

20. mineshaft says:

Coincidentally I started playing again this week. I haven’t been away too long, and I don’t think I’ve seen a new weapon yet. I was here for Dead Ringer nerf and Base Jumper.

All I need is a fun server with map nomination and rotation. The Slaughterhouse is gone, RIP, but I found another.

Does no one love being a medic? I do.

I’ve never spent a cent on hats, unless you count my Horace hat. But I did play long enough to get a random dropped Tyrolean, and I crafted a Milkman and Familiar Fez back when that mattered. And no you can’t have my OSX earbuds.

A lovable, fun game to this day.

• Jalan says:

Earbud envy is a thing of the past. It used to be that they commanded a decent amount of keys, now any spoiled kid with parents who have cash to part with can get at least 1 of them (or more).

21. Sin Vega says:

I bought it in 2009, during/right after the sniper vs spy update, at which point I think they’d given most of the classes alternative weapons, and did for the rest over the coming year. So I’m biased, but I honestly think that era is when it was best – each class had its staple role, but also one or two alternatives to add a little depth and modify their playstyle (either for or against them).

Within a couple of years I’d uninstalled it though, it just lost too much focus, and all the extra weapons became too … well, nerdy. It went from “some snipers have bows instead” to “This gun gives +5 x per every y you z in A seconds, unless it’s a Tuesday and your opponent has sneezed today.” Blurgh.

I’m a bit saddened but not bitter. I got plenty of fun out of it, and it’s still going strong, so it could certainly be a much worse story.

22. Zekiel says:

The only team-based FPS I’ve played and I love it for many reasons. Unfortunately I never played much cos my Internet connection wasn’t up to it. 5 mins trying to join a game followed by freezing after a minute wasn’t much fun. Shame.

particlese says:

I played it for a couple of hours back in the Orange Box days, but it wasn’t enough of my bag to keep playing. Now I can see it going at least two ways, should I find myself inadvertently playing: an irritating unlockfest that gets rage-uninstalled and shunted into the “ignore” category, or a riotous rumble where I smile my head off and don’t give a hoot about the unlocks.

I’ve been enjoying the shorts and comics as they’ve come out, at the very least.

zapatapon says:

Got it with the orange box in 2008 and never played it. How’s that.

25. April March says:

TF2 is the only game that I can say I have some skill in. Only some, mind, but still, I’m not trying to enjoy myself while getting repeatedly murderized by people who can actually play. In fact, I can consistently help my team win, or at least not lose too badly. That never happens with me.

26. Anthony Python says:

I always loved TF2, however said I enjoyed it the most before it went F2P, it kinda felt disheartening when I paid for it, and then all the sudden be turned into another F2P game. I have nothing against free to play games that are done right, and that I actually encourage for people to do so if it will fit well with their game model rather than the paid model. But this is where people need to learn from mistakes such as TF2, Paladin’s, or whatever game that does something bad, but the worst is like bloating the game taking HDD space of customer’s with content that they most likely wont ever get them all, and making the playing field unfair by using real world money to buy a secondary currency that can be used gain more power full item’s that changes the outcome of playing a game with people, either having a disadvantage or an advantage to hellish degree’s. These are the lines I never dare to step forward into with any game I develop.
    TF2’s Bloating problem is pretty bad, offering too much content for people to play could very well discourage future customer’s and current player’s, not everyone has 2TB HDD’s sitting around, and have a fairly good connection to download such a massive file. 17.2 Gigabytes might not seem too big nowadays with games that are 40+ Gigabyte’s, but this is still quite a large amount of data for some with slower isp connection’s in the world that may have wanted to pay for it. On top of that TF2 has bloated the normal file size with all the cosmetic’s. It would have been okay if it was just some cosmetic’s, or better yet some how randomly generated cosmetic’s in general or generated player skins that didn’t mess up the team color’s. But it’s not, it’s all several texture files, and several Compiled source model’s all taking up precious HDD space. again I Preferred it before F2P.

27. Frank says:

I’m a big fan of where it is right now, and hope robot destruction becomes a bona fide thing.

However, I do think something was lost when it went F2P. Since then, a self-healing soldier has been the only way I can play on pub servers, since the teamwork is so unreliable.

28. Otousan says:

When I first bought the Orange Box back when it was just released, it was originally for the Half Life 2 Episode 2 content. Everything else was just a nice bonus.

While I played Team Fortress Classic for abit back in the day, I wasn’t particularly excited about the sequel as my interest in multiplayer games was still captured by Battlefield 1942

Then one fine day I decided to give it a go. I was completely hooked. Since then, it remained in my playlist even till this day. Thousands of hours have been spent burning, perforating, gibbing, gleefully backstabbing, fish slapping, dancing, taunt killing, raging, guffawing and all manners of good fun.

There were many games that took my interest for awhile. X-COM, Deus-Ex, Civilization, Battlefield 3, Space Marine, Dawn of War, Path of Exile, Mass Effect, even Final Fantasy 14. Yet at the end of the day, I find myself going back to TF2.

Having played the Overwatch beta, my interest has been kindled and I am definately going to give it a go. (Once I finally get payed for my work demmit). Whether its able to hold my interest as long as TF2 did remains to be seen.

29. PineMaple says:

4k hours of TF2 played since 2009, thousands more hours spent watching various comp matches since then as well. Been taking a break from it for a few months now, though I still keep in touch with my buddies and jump in if they need a sub or do some mentoring if someone asks. Get something of a craving to hop into a rocketjumping server every once in a while, TF2 really nailed its movement in a way that I haven’t really felt elsewhere. I could write a book about all my frustrations with the game, but I have 4k hours and I don’t regret that so I’d say it’s pretty all right.

30. MrFinnishDude says:

RPS articles about tf2 are always filled with people complaining about the state tf2 is in now. I do not really see such grievances anywhere else so it’s a strange niche.

31. Galilnagant says:

Since the beginning, Orange Box release date. It has formed a fine parabola, improving and improving until the inevitable decline slowly precipitated by F2P. Despite that, it remained fun until Gun Mettle struck like a lightning bolt. A ridiculous, 1990s screensaver-styled lightning bolt. Applied as a texture to in-game weapons. For which people pay substantial amounts of legal tender.

I took the bait on Gun Mettle and scored big: a stupid looking sniper rifle that people were paying in excess of $200 USD to acquire. Functionally identical to the stock equivalent that was the sniper’s primary on day one. I sold it for $250, to a self-proclaimed “collector,” whose collection will not endure and will not appreciate in value. It might simply vanish one day. The current community seems more concerned with the prestige of conspicuous consumption than with the oft-chaotic fun of the game’s best times.

I noted a precipitous drop in the population of old friends with whom I’d shared some of the most gleeful and miserable moments in gaming over the years, and jumping into a pub server these days usually just isn’t fun. TF2 had a glorious, arctic summer day in the sun, but it’s about time to hang up the digital hats and move on.

32. LogicalDash says:

Aren’t there servers that ban all items? Tagged “Vanilla”. Y’all still play there, right?

33. laggyluk says:

Team Fortress Classic..

34. GurtTractor says:

I’ve played it quite a few times and really tried to enjoy it and get into it, but I just never found any of the characters much fun to play. Having recently played the Overwatch beta I found that game much, much more fun than TF2 The characters, maps, and teamplay just seem to have so much more depth.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Got it when I preordered the Orange Box and played it somewhat regularly. I stopped playing for a while but was able to get back into it after I got my new PC a couple of years ago and discovered the Doomsday map. I’ve always played as Pyro and that map is made for Pyros.

My greatest moment was when I was able to get right underneath of a soldier doing a rocket jump to air-blast them back up and give them a stream of hot hot gasses on their way down.