Fallout 4: Far Harbor Rolling Out Like So Much Maine Fog

Far Harbor, the first big hunk of DLC for Fallout 4 [official site], launches on Thursday (mostly) at midnight. Seeing as it’s already Thursday in some countries, hey, it may already be out! You may be playing it this very minute, reading RPS on your phone because you just can’t get enough. Though given what I know about Australian ISPs, maybe Europeans will be playing before you poor gits down under.

Anyway! Everyone, everywhere can now see a bit more of Far Harbor’s spooky island, weird enemies, big guns, and whatnot in a new dev video marking its launch:

Far Harbor takes the gang up to an island off the coast of Maine on a case from Valentine’s Detective Agency. The local townsfolk, Children of the Atom cultists, and a colony of synths are all living there, and not getting on super-great. Given that this video talks about having a lot of ways to resolve the conflict, with microconflicts and microresolutions within, I’m guessing there’s a lot of potential for tears before bedtime.

Given the option, I think I’d try to unify everyone by going on nature walks to appreciate how lovely those mutant salamanders and bipedal anglerfish are. Form a cult around the anglerfish – their appetites can only be so large, which means those hallowed sacrifices chosen to survive can enjoy swimming in the cool waters illuminated by their lovely lurelights. That’s a good cult. I’d join that cult.

Oh, yes, and the DLC adds new weapons and armours and things.

Far Harbor mostly launches at midnight region-by-region, but there are a few wrinkles. Here are the launch timings from Bethesda:

Australia/New Zealand – 12:01 am (AEST) on 5/19
Japan/South Korea/Rest of Asia – 12:01 am (Japan) on 5/19
France/Germany/Italy/Spain 01:01 am (CET) on 5/19
UK 12:01 am (BST) on 5/19
Rest of World – 12:01 am (BST) on 5/19
North America – 12:01 am (ET) on 5/19

It costs £19.99/24,99€/$24.99 by itself on Steam, or comes with the rest of Fallout 4’s DLC in the £39.99/49,99€/$49.99 DLC season pass. Bethesda have more DLC planned for after Far Harbor, but haven’t yet revealed what it is.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. seroto9 says:

Woah there: That’s sure one spoilery trailer there, cowperson.

2. Zenicetus says:

Does anyone know if there is a suggested level for this, or does it auto-scale? I have a character from my second playthrough at (I think) level 24, but sometimes these DLC’s are meant for higher levels.

Also, I assume from the description and screenshot that Nick is required as a companion?

• Eddy9000 says:

As far as I’ve heard you can start it after you’ve completed the mission where you find Kellogg

• phreddo says:

Not 100 percent required. You’ll probably want to bring him along though.

• Zenicetus says:

Okay, thanks everyone. I’ll pick this up eventually, but gotta clear some backlog first.

• dontnormally says:

You mean Dogmeat, right? Because I’ll be bringing Dogmeat.

• Mokinokaro says:

Yeah, bring Nick. He’s the only companion who really interacts with the DLC.

3. TWChristine says:

Once I was driving along Route 1 (coastal route) through middle-of-nowhere-Maine (which is pretty much all of it) in the middle of the night, and with thick fog ahead; I had been driving for way too long and in the distance I saw a transport coming down a hill perpendicular to me. The mix of fog, lack of sleep, and the running lights of the truck made it look like some kind of Santa’s sleigh from hell. Now that I’ve typed all that out it sounds pretty corny, but in the moment it was crazy cool/weird.

• Solomon says:

What you described driving down Route 1 was magnitudes more interesting to me than this DLC.

• molamolacolacake says:

Lofe-long Mainer here, and I can’t say I ever expected to see a comment about route 1 on RPS. It made my morning!

4. TTex says:

It certainly looks good. But…cripes. $35 for a DLC is pretty damn expensive. That’s a typical price for an entire expansion. It needs to be -really- meaty for me to consider that.

• epeternally says:

My problem with the pricing isn’t the price itself, which I think it’s fine, but that the big expansion being $25 leads me to think Bethesda are only going to be including two major expansions in their $50 season pass, which is not fine.

• crépuscule says:

Far Harbor is the only major expansion being included in the season pass. Automatron and Wasteland Workshop, which have already been released, form the first $25 worth of DLC, and Far Harbor constitutes the last $25. Why is that not ok? It’s certainly not atypical to have smaller DLCs alongside larger expansions, and having started Far Harbor, I can assure you that it’s worth every cent.

• crépuscule says:

In terms of landmass, it’s the largest expansion Bethesda has ever released, and it has near to the most content they’ve ever released, as well.

• Stevostin says:

Well there was that season pass offer with all for $25 that run for weeks. In their mind they offered you all chances to get the “serious gamer” price. If you missed it that puts you in the “casual gamer” basket, the one who don’t follow game news, and you’re en entirely different kind of cow to milk. IMO wait for summer sales.

• crépuscule says:

Little bit of editorializing there. The pass was initially $25 because of Bethesda’s assumption that they would only produce a couple pieces of DLC. A bit later, perhaps because of the somewhat lukewarm reception of Fallout 4, they decided to develop more DLC than they had initially planned. Because of this, they raised the season pass’ price to $50. They didn’t do this out of the blue– rather, they announced it a month before they put the price change into effect, in order to give consumers more time to purchase the pass at a cheaper price. It’s a bit presumptuous to assume that Bethesda was trying to “milk” their customers. If you want to wait until a sale to purchase the pass, then that’s your prerogative as a consumer, but don’t place blame on Bethesda for charging more for more content.

• welverin says:

No, it was initially $25, because they didn’t plan on this being so big, but it grew during development thus necessitating an increase in price.

5. KastaRules says:

I find Bethesda price line to be nothing short of outrageous considering how unpolished their products are.