Hard Reset Redux Gameplay Vid Heralds June Launch

Before reviving 3DR Realms’s Shadow Warrior, developers Flying Wild Hog made their very own ’90s-style FPS, Hard Reset. As well as working on Shadow Warrior 2, Flying Wild Hog have been polishing up Hard Reset for a new release as Hard Reset Redux [official site], and now it has a release date of June 3rd. This announcement also brings a 16-minute gameplay trailer, and shows some Redux changes are pleasingly Shadow Warrior-y. A cybersword and a dash move? Oh, go on then! Have a look:

So what’s new in the Redux? It jumps to the newest version of Flying Wild’s WildHog engine for better lighting and effects, adds a cyber-katana and a ‘quick dash’ move, boshes in a new enemy type and reshuffles enemy placement to surprise returning players, now has proper quicksaves (no messing about in config files to sneakily bind ’em), and is meant to load faster too. Oh, and they say it’s been “rebalanced” with “improved difficult levels and better pacing.”

Poor checkpointing was one of our John’s complaints about the initial release, which he otherwise quite liked, so quicksaving sounds good. Its length was another problem for him but hey, free DLC later boshed in a load of new levels.

So! June 3rd. It’s coming to Windows via Steam. No word yet on the price, or whether it’ll offer a discount to folks who bought it the first time.

And dang, Shadow Warrior 2 is looking great, isn’t it?

From this site

1. Tinotoin says:

I loved my many playthroughs of this game – and it remains the best 3D Vision experience I’ve had.

However, not sure if I feel the need for any more of it – even with the good-sounding additions.

• Juan Carlo says:

Ditto. I loved this game. Enough that I worked my ass off getting all the achievements–not something I look forward to having to do again.

• Juan Carlo says:

Also, this doesn’t look all that much better than the original, graphics wise. It better be cheap.

2. Sardonic says:

I liked Hard Reset, but the enemies were way too bullet spongey, a problem which persisted in Shadow Warrior too, come to think of it.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Ï almost exclusively used the sword in Shadow Warrior, so I never experienced any bullet spongeyness.

While the changes sound substantial enough to justify making owners of Hard Reset pay something, it feels weird that they’re redoing it again when it already got lots of things through the Extended Edition. I’d rather see Hard Reset 2 and that’s why I’m happy that they’re at least making Shadow Warrior 2.

• welverin says:

A quick check shows the game wasn’t released on consoles, this will be. SO, I’d say this is really a console release and they’re throwing us the new stuff while their at it.

3. Durgendorf says:

I just love the name. It’s like, “Yeah! Kick ’em in the power button!” Which is the groin of the computer.

4. TomxJ says:

There’s something about Hard Resets cyber punk world that seems so lived in, I really enjoyed scooting around the enviroments. Lost it momentum in the exspansion though.

• Jalan says:

I had the opposite impression (though it’s been quite some time since I last played and finished the game, so maybe my memory isn’t 100% on things). Bezoar seemed devoid of life, to the point where I often found myself morbidly elated at finding ANY trace of humanity (a corpse).

When the extended content was released, I remember laughing pretty hard at seeing another actual living human at the end of the game, thinking to myself “watch, it’ll be a cyborg” and then feeling disappointed that the game just… ended.

Harlander says:

Its visual environment was pretty lush. Frankly, much as I enjoyed Hard Reset, I can’t help but think such staging and art direction deserved a more interesting kind of game.

5. Scumbag says:

I enjoyed Hard Reset but don’t really feel like getting it again.
    Also there seems to be something very wrong with the movement in the video linked. The camera seems to be floating about and tilting a lot. I don’t often get motion sickness, but that was making me feel rather dizzy.

6. trjp says:

Hasn’t Hard Reset already had a ‘super duper upgrade’ edition?

It’s a fun title but it does like to leave you wondering where to go next and the enemies can be super-bullet-spongey…

• Jalan says:

The extended edition was more a content add-on/patch, where this is that + graphic update(s).

7. LTK says:

I’d be happy to play this, I had an absolute blast with the original Hard Reset, but I do question the decision to use a sword to fight robots when the majority of them only have melee attacks and cannot hurt you if you keep them at a distance.

8. tonicer says:

I love Hard Reset but i’m not so sure about these changes.

9. JohnnyMaverik says:

I don’t know why but calling it Hard Reset Redux is kind of irritating. Just call it Hard Reset: something flavorful… or hell, Hard Reset 2. Redux just seems to imply that they fked up the first time around and don’t want you to associate this game with the former cuz this time they’ll do better, and yet has the complete opposite affect on me. IDK… call me anal and you would probably be right but it’s got me all in a grump.

Hopefully the game is good, I never finished the original which from what I played I had very mixed feelings about… should really get around to that.

10. Ragnar says:

I really liked Hard Reset.

However, I’m getting really tired of Redux/Remastered/Definitive/Director’s Cut/HD/Super Turbo editions. Maybe I’m old fashioned, but I like buying games just once. Give me new games, not slightly better versions of games I already have.

It’s already completely infected the PS4, with most exclusives being remastered versions of PS3/2 games. I don’t want it to take over PC as well.