Stabbo! Dark Souls III Patch Tweaks Balance

Hallo there! Planning a spot of Dark Souls III [official site] this weekend, are we? Here, things might have changed a bit since your last go. From Software pulled a patch on Monday to fix hitches and freezes it caused, then re-released it on Wednesday, then today brought a brand new patch. This new one is mostly a balance patch, but does also improve matching for players in the Blue Sentinel and Blade of the Darkmoon covenants – good news if you want to scrap this weekend?

So, the patch notes are about as vague as ever. From Software are getting better at saying what they’re targetting with balance tweaks but still struggle with the how. Are the Washing Pole and Moonlight Greatsword getting better or worse? Are those scythes penetrating shields more or less? How much FP do spells cost now?

As the No Frills Twins sang, God bless the Internet. Those die-happy folks on the DS3 subreddit have tested weapons and shields to come up with all sorts of numbers.

Other folks compared before/after costs for spellcasting too. Thirty-odd spells, miracles, and pyromancies are cheaper now, some by quite a bit, while two are more expensive. A good day for wizards!

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Rizlar says:

Hoped the patch would mean some Darkmoon summons. Played a bit earlier and it appears not. Still never been summoned as a blue. Sadness.

2. SpaceToaster says:

Is there any word on if FROM fixed the cheaters/hackers that are able to invade and kill you, giving your corpse like millions of souls so that the cheat system soft bans you?

This was going around early this month, which is why I quit playing online. There were hackers uploading to youtube showing this cheat, it was pretty offensive to be honest. I hope they fixed that.

3. Anthile says:

They also nerfed counter-attack damage for thrust weapons and weapons with thrust attacks. That means it’s a big nerf for the much-maligned estoc, tryhard twinswords and astora greatsword. Really sucks for the five people out there still using spears, though. I can’t say I’m surprised, it’s typical ham-fisted balancing from From.

• The Algerian says:

To say I thought the spear, my favorite weapon, wasn’t very useful before.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I’m glad I finished the game last night before they nerfed the Washing Pole.

5. Press X to Gary Busey says:

I don’t understand. The gudgits said the game was already a perfectly balanced experience and touching any aspect of that perfect balance would ruin the game for everyone.

• Kamestos says:

Exactly.

• Arkayjiya says:

Everyone was arguing that Black sword is stupid, and that the ridiculous handling of poise is making rapiers stupid, including the gitgud crowd.

AutonomyLost says:

I’m planning on beating the game tonight with my Yhorm’s machete. Hopefully that packs as much of a wallop as ever. If not, no matter; I’m kicking the last three bosses’ asses either way.

7. Blackcompany says:

In a game with Combat this tight and challenging, transparent patch notes are NEEDED. This isn’t “mysterious” or challenging, it’s asinine.

8. fish99 says:

My only real complaints about this game (apart from the obvious ones like the stuttering on PC and the mechanical flaws it inherited from the other Souls games) was that the 2-hand damage bonus was very small, and that they put the only katana which could reach S scaling in the game so late that it was almost useless (it’s after champion Gundyr).

Consequently the 2-hand dex katana build felt heavily nerfed versus DS1+2. My 2nd playthrough (not NG+) as a pyro was ridiculously easy in comparison.

• Arkayjiya says:

Use O&U. 2 hand damage bonus is good on this one, and it builds bleeding super fast, especially with carthus rouge. I ended up with a hollow Onikiri & Ubadachi, 40 str, 40 dex, 30 luck and bosses would melt even in NG++

• fish99 says:

Thanks. Problem is I started the game assuming there’d be a good katana with dex scaling (well there is, the Chaos Blade, but you get it so late), so my build was 64 dex and only about 20 str. I had sharp on the Uchi and Black Blade but that only got them to B dex scaling. I ended up using a Scimitar for most of the game.

Even once I got the Chaos Blade, at +10 with sharp, and fire/lighting resin, the damage still didn’t feel that good, not compared to the same build in DS2.