Stick ‘Em Up: Kingdom Of Loathing Goes West

I first discovered the stick person MMORPG Kingdom of Loathing a million years ago when I was still at school. In 2003, I’d never seen anything like it and reveled in its off-the-wall humour and general weirdness. As a game that looked so simple at first glance, I was taken by its depth, and, much later, was taken aback by the fact it once wrote Alec an email. I guess that speaks volumes of its influence.

Most interestingly, developers Asymmetric have now announced a “loosely spun” follow-up named West of Loathing [official site] and billed as “like Skyrim, but with big hats and canned beans instead of glass armor and cheese wheels.”

Quite the comparison, I’m sure you’ll agree, but one which captures the essence of KoL – in both its humour and its acuity. West of Loathing’s teaser trailer seems to echo that sentiment:

Besides its rather comical aesthetic, it seems West of Loathing extends its comedy to most of its makeup, not least its class options. “I had the strangest dream. I was…choosing a character class,” it reads, before offering you the choice of three discernible occupations: Cow Puncher, Beanslinger, or Snake Oiler because, well, why not? In one of these roles, Asymmetric say you’ll be getting up to the following:

“Explore perilous gulches, skeleton-riddled cemeteries, mysterious abandoned mines, and disreputable saloons. Plumb the ruins of ancient civilizations for riches, deliver justice to unscrupulous and sarcastic bandits, and negotiate complex bureaucracies in cursed ghost towns full of cursed ghost accountants. And watch your back, because danger and dumb jokes lurk around every corner.”

West of Loathing is after votes on Steam Greenlight and plans to release on Windows, Mac and Linux at some point in 2017.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Talahar says:

Kinda need it now, 2017 is too late. :-/

2. malkav11 says:

It’s worth noting that Kingdom of Loathing is still going strong and is even more hilarious, weird, and full of silliness than ever. They’ve revamped various things that weren’t up to their standards but generally it’s content piled on content remixed through every-three-months-or-so challenge paths and bolstered by the extremely silly (but powerful) Items of the Month you get by donating. There’s nothing else quite like it.

Definitely excited for West of Loathing.

3. Aerothorn says:

Huh – I’m surprised it’s been greenlit, given that Word Realms still isn’t on Steam, which I assumed meant they were Not Into Steam somehow. Wonder why it isn’t?

• AngoraFish says:

I will no doubt be corrected on this, but my recollection is that Word Realms sold very poorly and consequently the devs decided that they couldn’t be bothered investing any more time into it, even the time required to get it onto Steam.

• malkav11 says:

Yeah, I don’t know exact details but whenever Word Realms comes up on the KoL podcast it’s pretty much just joking about how badly it did and what a waste of their time it was. Which is a shame. Hopefully West of Loathing does better. Kingdom of Loathing is still paying the bills for them for now but as Jick says quite regularly on the podcast, it’s a 13 year old browser game. The overall net trend of playerbase (particularly paying playerbase) is inevitably going to be downward. Better to have some other stuff going before the falloff is steep enough to be a real problem.

moms says:

I played KoL at work.
    It was way more fun, and easier to keep hidden from the boss, than Solitaire, Word Search, and such.

5. jennanorman says:

I am making $89/hour working from home. I never thought that it was legitimate but my best friend is earning $10 thousand a month by working online, that was really surprising for me, she recommended me to try it. just try it out on the following website.
    === =

6. jgf1123 says:

I had to quit KoL because speedrunning ascensions was more fun than working on my thesis. Now that I have my thesis…

7. April March says:

Instantly interested. KoL is just the right amount of silly. Or at least the right amout of silly to aware of its silliness.

8. Whomest says:

I left my office job and now I am receiving 89 Dollars hourly. How? I work over internet! My old work was making me unhappy, so I was forced to try something altered. Two years later…I can say my life is changged-completely for the better! Check it out what i do…z..

======= To Know More Visit Here

9. TobyByard says:

★ ★ ★ ★

My first job out of High School was at St Paul and over the next 5 years Iearned so very much. Seeing the hospital torn down tears a small piece of my heart out. The Daughters of Charity and the doctors and staff of St Paul Hospital will always be with me.

Best Of Luck for new Initiative!

———————- link to

10. RanDomino says:

My father-in-law’s gniece used to farm yetis but now she makes over 5,0011 meat per hour working from her campsite! How? Click this link ww.kingdomofloathingcom/