What Are We All Playing This Weekend?

Let’s see, introduction patter… 2016 has been a cracker of a year for new games so far, hasn’t it? But this weather’s not been up to much, has it? Ah, stuff it: what are you playing this weekend? Here’s what we’re into right now:

Adam: [Adam is on holiday, according to a note written in John’s handwriting which John found left on his desk 23 hours and 59 minutes after we last saw Adam.]
Alec: I’m going to look at Duskers, because after a week of grit-toothed demon murder I need an anti-Doom. And also I need something that doesn’t make my increasingly messed-up and ancient PC wet the bed. Time to go from All The Graphics to No Graphics, at least until that there NVIDIA 1080 is doing the rounds and I can decide which body part to sell in order to afford it.
Alice: On week 15 of a new Darkest Dungeon save with no casualties and only mild despair at worst, I am riding high and feeling invincible. I can’t see how this could ever go wrong. Definitely not on the long expedition I’ve just embarked upon into the Cove with a lineup who don’t synergise all too well – brute force will always work, I’m sure. ‘Delightful Dungeon’ they’ll have to rename it after I’m done here.
Graham: I’m not going to be playing anything this weekend, because instead I’m going to be travelling on a ferry back to the mainland UK after a few weeks staying with family on a nearby island. Doing this with a seven week old baby with be a kind of game, however.
John: [Who dares ask?]
Philippa: This weekend I will mostly be playing housework but I will try to fit in a little bit of boardgaming. Maybe Star Wars Rebellion. Alternatively investigating what the frogs were up to in the pond while I was in China.

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

From this site

1. Horg says:

Total War Shogun 2 to polish up my micro skills in preparation for Total: Warhammer®. I’m fully on board with the ‘no pausing battles’ movement now, it really revitalises the experience. Turns out the AI doesn’t seem quite so feeble when you can stop time and hard counter it perfectly ¬ ¬

2. Anthile says:

Dark Souls 3. I don’t think I’ll ever play any other game again.

• Andrew says:

Finished it, finally, partially with my buddy (coop in third one is way easier to do). Now I’m at a loss, what to play next. There is one boss left for him, and I don’t like replaying games, but it’s on my mind, so, yeah. I want “Dark Souls” MMO, gawd dammit! At least, something with similar (tactical action) combat.

Can From do something cool with DLC? I can hope!

Tempted to buy “Demon’s Souls” for my old PS3 (with DualShock 4 it’s way better) or even “Scholar of the First Sin” – it’s kind replaying, I know. I don’t own PS4, but “Bloodborne” is in the plus column in decision-making-about-buying it list.

*drops carving “Help me”* :)

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

If you’ve got the mulat, get the PS4 and Bloodborne. It is brilliant and different, absolutely up there with DS1. I’m trying to justify buying a console for one game by trying some of the exclusives. I never had a PS3 so there’s plenty of remasters and such. And the free indie games that come with PS Plus soon get your couch gaming library up to speed. I say “Go for it!”.

• Andrew says:

Well, I bought couple of Nintendo consoles only for “Zeldas” before, so that’s not out of the question. But there is too many games (and they keep making them, bastards!) and platforms I own already, that justifying another one is hard. And all my friends on PC, too. Maybe I will do what I did with PS3 – get it close to the end of its lifespan. It’s all digital, so no worry about finding discs and such.

PS+ not worth it anymore, IMHO, if you have a PC. I mean, for multiplayer on PS4, yeah, sure, you have to have it, but for (cheap, indie) games? Nope.

• GameCat says:

*cough* Dark Souls 1 *cough*

• Andrew says:

What of it?

• GameCat says:

Anthile said that he will not play any game other than DS3, but he’s wrong and he will play any other Souls game soon. Trust me.

• Andrew says:

Well, I just assumed that he, like me, already played them.

AutonomyLost says:

GameCat, I’m actually thinking of purchasing the first Dark Souls after I finish the third one, as I haven’t played it and find myself wanting go get more background information of the world. I played DS2:SotFS briefly months ago but kind of bounced off of it. I have been absolutely delighted with DSIII, however, and have heard that it relates much more closely with the first game than it does the second. I have the hunger for Souls in me now, and it’s fairly ravenous :)

• Andrew says:

@AutonomyLost As I said, I was playing with my buddy, who did not played first DS, only second one. So, every five minutes I was saying “yup, that’s from the first one”. If it wasn’t for DS2, I would be very disappointed, but since it exists, and there is enough time passed, I’m OK with that remixing of ideas. And now I like second even more, because it’s different. And also happy, that we gonna get trilogy and that’s it, ‘cause, it seems, annual release of DS games would be a disaster.

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

Me too. I’m currently in the process of doing a huge u-turn on the Dark Souls series. I had a little bitch about DS on a WRUP a couple weeks back, and was struggling to understand what all the fuss was about.

Boy am I eating my hat right now.

Some gripes on the game remain – the artificial difficulty thing occasionally bothers me; I don’t find it to be particularly good game design to make a bad guy huge and give him a billion health and call it a challenge, however the bosses are hugely satisfying to defeat as a result. Also the storyline is a little opaque, and things that are easily missed (missing NPCs and quest items) can have a detrimental effect on progression, though I am starting to understand that a bit more from a zero hand-holding point of view.

But yeah, the environments are amazing, drab color palette notwithstanding. It’s also nice to play a game that has rekindled (no pun intended) the magic of playing games when I was a kid – defeating big challenges when I was young and inexperienced at computer games was enormously satisfying and made me feel so much joy, whereas most modern games are so painfully easy that just isn’t achievable anymore.

TLDR: Yes alright fuck off Dark Souls is good.

• McGuit says:

Dark Souls 3
      Intend to finish this weekend.
      Brilliant game.
      If I get it done, then on to my first play of Witcher 3 with expansion pack.
      That ought to take me a year or two….

3. Rinox says:

I’ve picked up the GOTY Deluxe Edition of Oblivion and spent a half day modding it until it looks and plays amazing. Been having a blast with it. If you mod around things like the potato faces (character overhaul mod is amazing), arbitrary skills/magic restrictions and automatic leveling system it’s actually…really good.

Ok, you still have to close a crapload of boring Oblivion gates, but I find there is some roleplaying fun to be found in sprinting in almost constant invisibility to the top of the towers and grabbing the sigil stone in front of some surprised Daedra. I imagine the local guard is a bit confused when I show up 3-5 mins later and the gate closes behind me.

But the rest of the quest design is actually quite creative and interesting. Good stuff. This unfortunately only reinforces my idea that I should wait until Bethesda’s open world games are feature complete and play them with mods a few years after release. Oblivion wasn’t a bad game by any means to begin with, but now it’s actually very good – even 10 years later.

• dangermouse76 says:

You come across any mods to adjust the sword play and weapon handling? I’m reinstalling Oblivion just now.

• Rinox says:

Tried replying to you twice but my posts didn’t show. I’m guess it was the link in them to the Oblivion Mod Nexus website.

I’m playing a ranged character so only looked into mods for the bow-and-arrow approach, sorry. I installed one but can’t link you to it since my post may disappear again. Didn’t look into mods for melee weapons.

• Farsearcher says:

Deadly Reflex was a great combat mod. It added shield bashing, kicks and adrenaline meter and stealth kills as well I think. Be warned though your enemies also get most of the same move set. I remember meeting a lone Kaajit bandit and thinking “oh well this will be easy” then they ran at me and did a flying kick.

You may also want to check out Franscescos mod a massive overhaul that fixes the broken leveling system. In vanilla unless you play in a very boring and artificial way you’ll get weaker as you level. Francescos stops that. It has a ton of other bits incorporated into it to all modular so you can pick and choose what you want. It had some weapon tweaks as well.

4. Morcane says:

I took the time to watch some of the Stellaris Paradox Blorg Spacefriends (Twitch) VODs (which are great fun), which taught me heaps about the game and am enjoying my own playthrough currently.

Anyone still on the fence about this game or struggling with it, watch the video’s, they’re great.

5. Alice O'Connor says:

I wrote that bit an hour ago. I have since suffered terrible losses. So it goes.

heretic says:

Not so delightful after all! I think you jinxed yourself :)

• Imbecile says:

I liked Darkest Dungeon a lot, but stalled out on the third run of the bosses. I havent lost too many people as I run away when things get tricky, and try to operate in full light…though this hits my cash flow some.

• Pogs says:

I’m afraid you succumbed to the ‘nothing can go wrong now’ like utterance. An inevitably fatal phrase.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Did you yell out “Alice O’Come on!” or “Alice O’ For Fuck’s Sake!” when you died?

heretic says:

Doom and Hitman, really surprised by Hitman – the second level is so deep it’s almost ridiculous, so much stuff to explore.

• jezcentral says:

Same here. The best pair of surprises of 2016.

• der_Zens0r says:

Doom. Well, after the 21 hour marathon download… only 12 hours to go now

7. Talahar says:

Playing a bit of SWTOR coop with a buddy of mine a couple of days ago pulled me back in. Already played a bit yesterday on my own, and a further bit this morning. Right now I’m taking a bit of a break with some beer, crisps and some tv shows, but right after I’ll dive back in.

8. Imbecile says:

Yes, yes – I’m still playing Rocket League.

Also pushing on with Day of the tentacle. I like the updated graphics quite a lot, but am struggling to motivate myself to push through it. I think its forcing me to recognise that one of the thinks I like most about adventure games is that they often have an articulate plot, and I dont really get that from Day of the Tentacle, which is why I liked Grim Fandango more. Worse puzzles, but a better sense of place and a feeling of time passing, and things happening.

caff says:

If you haven’t completed DOTT before it’s worth persevering with it. Having now finished it it all ties nicely together in my brain.

I shall also be playing Rocket League. I’m not addicted. I’m not.

9. Agnosticus says:

Salt and Sanctuary! Seems very good so far. Really wanna try out the 2 player coop!

Also, I’ll give the 8-bit army demo a shot. Seems like a solid old school rts (but released with 1 fraction, why?!?)

• Stepout says:

Salt and Sanctuary for me too, been looking forward to it.

AutonomyLost says:

Ah, I’ve already forgotten that has released. Thanks for the reminder(s), you two. I’ll be downloading that tonight.

10. Don Reba says:

Beach volleyball! Got to grind some more to get that legendary “shirtless” skin.

11. lowprices says:

Replaying Dishonored on Very Hard difficulty. I wish I’d done it sooner. It really tips the balance of power and forces you to be more careful with the stealth and more creative with the combat when you can’t survive more than 2 or 3 hits.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I’ve just finished Dishonored for the first time and as always played on Easy, because I like some “mess around”-leeway. Although, since I played it in a ghosting, non-lethal way I could have done it on any difficulty, but I don’t play games to challenge myself, so I often pick the easiest difficulty. Most games don’t get better at a higher difficulty is my experience.

Started playing Bioshock 1 now, because I need a change of pace and it’s fun to whack people with a wrench or shoot them. That you can zap/burn and do other stuff is great as well. Bioshock is much less open to exploration, more linear, but it’s very fun in ways that Dishonored isn’t.

• welverin says:

Wow, someone else that like me, for the same reasons even.

• fish99 says:

Difficulty does affect stealthy playthroughs too, for instance the detection distance of enemies. Doesn’t necessarily make for a better game though, just makes it a bit annoying.

• Blastaz says:

Try playing a lethal game of dishonoured.

You get given so many fun toys and spells it almost seems a shame to ghost the game and only ever use a handful of them…

• Unclepauly says:

“Most games don’t get better at a higher difficulty is my experience”

Of course I understand that’s your opinion and it’s perfectly valid for you, but I had to come on here just to post the words “Hobbledytosh”, “Horsecackery”, and “Moolarkery”.

heretic says:

I started playing Dishonoured in easy but realised it wasn’t at all the experience I wanted from it – I was looking more for something like Thief I guess.

Switched it to very hard and it was so much better – because of the powers you get it’s still quite easy but you can’t really get into huge fights without planning in advance.

Mind you by the last level I knew I had been a bit too lethal to get the “good” ending so I murdered everyone and watched the endings on youtube…

12. DaceX says:

Seeing as the next instalment is only two month away now, I actually returned to my main file on MH4U, in the hopes to ascend G2 after months being stuck there. Wanna at least use the phrase “Gogmazios be dammed” on actual Gog before the new game comes out.

Other then that, some Fire Emblem 7 and Final Fantasy 9 for recording purposes, and Invisible Inc finally clicked for me, had a beautiful failure yesterday at the first mission to extend Incognita, five agents shot to death because I had no real way to deal with 2 Armor. It was gloriously convoluted,looking forward to more.

13. lglethal says:

I’m still slowly working my way through Rise of the Tomb Raider. However, its a game that I’m struggling to find enough time to really sit down and enjoy, I feel like its something I need to sit down and enjoy for a couple of hours at a time, not 30 minutes here, 30 minutes there. Regular life always gets in the way! :P
    However, I am also playing a bit of Divinity Original Sin, as that is something I can drop into for half an hour and then walk away. So its not all bad.

Next week, She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed is off to the Netherlands for a business trip, so at least I’ll have a few evenings to do some proper tomb raiding and hope fully finish it!! :)

AutonomyLost says:

I agree with you, in that it requires more than half-an-hour to allow the enjoyment to begin to sink in. I was very pleased with that game overall, although the dialogue tends to hang around the atrocious end of the spectrum. Regardless, it’s beautiful, ran well for me, and was enough action-packed fun to have me already looking forward to the next instalment. Have fun finishing it next weekend!

14. Vintageryan says:

Off world trading company for me. Game got some great critical reception but seems to be ignored by consumers, anyhow I love it.

15. Pogs says:

Wot Am I Playing? Everything. I haven’t finished a game in ages! I love and hate the number of new games around. I flit between them searching for the zenith of gaming that will satisfy me and I can finally rest. I’m exhausted. Let me finish something you horrible horrible devs! I demand a moratorium on new games for the love of all things pixel related until I finish something!!!

• Pogs says:

Oh and most like back to MGS5 The Phantom Pain. I still have many soldiers to balloon away… then I may race around a circuit in Assetto wondering why I am always 5th can’t get out of the novice classes but still enjoying it.

Herzog says:

Spelunky – killing and getting killed by shopkeepers. Also dieing with the Ankh before reaching the Ice Caves.

Broforce – Snake Broskin!

Civilization 5 BMW – started a new game with Russia on prince difficulty. Large, fractaled map. Started on a secluded island with only one other civ which I assimilated. Now far from everything. Guess I should go for cultural victory?

17. Skiv says:

Some SPAZ 2, a little of Brutal Doom, tiny bit of Euro Truck Simulator 2, maybe a tad of OMSI 2.

18. Chorltonwheelie says:

I will be playing sleeping, Doom, FA Cup final and beer.

BertieDugger says:

XCOM 2. I bought it when it came out but only started playing a couple of weeks ago, and now I can’t stop.

Going to have to do my next playthrough on a harder difficulty, I’m only half way through this time and my squad are tooled up to the max. Or I suppose I could try playing something else!

Lars Westergren says:

My Vive has arrived, installing it tomorrow, so I suspect I will play The Lab, Audioshield, Holopoint etc.

21. utzel says:

I’m going to be using All The Graphics properly and play… Jedi Knight 3 and SWAT 4. The first sometimes crashes when loading a new level with a message “Can’t allocate 64MB of memory” and the second warns me I need at least 32MB of VRAM on startup.

• welverin says:

Sounds like it’s time for an upgrade!

• utzel says:

I only have 16 and 4 respectively, but I guess the games never thought there would be gigabytes someday :)

22. Lakshmi says:

I’m going dig into the Fallout Far Harbour DLC. Looks a bit better than the robot one already.

23. rahji says:

I’m going to play The Wolf among us. I already completed 2 episodes and I really want to see how the story plays out. It is the first modern telltale game that I play.
    Also some Puzzle Agent but some of the puzzles are really hard.

Lars Westergren says:

Good choice, Wolf Among Us is one of Telltale’s better.

24. welverin says:

I shall be playing Uncharted 4 likely with some Destiny mixed in and maybe some Evolve.

I also have D&D tonight.

Ben King says:

I’m also doing some destiny with my gf’s sister on ps4, Talos principle on PC, and then gonna watch my GF play Farcry: Primal while i support by looking up what all the tiny icons mean while goading her into picking fights with mammoths.

• Symarian says:

People still play Evolve?

25. shrieki says:

Distance – really crazy “parkour” racing with awesome visuals and nice music.

26. yogibbear says:

I finished Dark Souls 3, as well as a campaign mode that took 40hrs in Stellaris. So now I’m playing Wolfenstein: the New Order (needed some FPS actin after all the DOOM hype, but I’m waiting till I have a 1080GTX before getting DOOM), as well as doing compendium quests in DOTA 2.

27. fish99 says:

I’ll be starting up Doom later after the cup final, but seeing everyone on twitch playing Total Warhammer makes me want to start and maybe finally finish a Shogun 2 campaign.

• fish99 says:

Well, I played the first 3 hours of Doom. I’m not convinced yet. Maybe it would be more fun on normal than on UV.

What I’m not convinced about is the way it forces you to use glory kills (by handing out a lot of damage that’s difficult to avoid), but gives you lots of long range weapons that don’t suit that system, because you’re not close enough to do a glory kill. While the original Doom 1/2 were fast paced, they were also tactical and tense, but the new one seems to force you into playing it super fast and aggressive the whole time, and pretty much only using weapons at close or medium range, and using the shotgun way more than any other weapon.

Also the slow aiming while firing the plasma, and the slow movement while charging a weapon, they don’t fit with the way the game wants you to keep moving all the time.

Also checkpoints.

• Unclepauly says:

I thought it was a well known fact that the first few hours were basically a tutorial.

Captain Narol says:

Still into Stellaris, I reached 72h on my first compaign and mid-game is indeed becoming quite a grind like many critics said…

Diplomacy and trade lacks depth however so I might get tired of it soon, they need to make the game ever shorter or deeper to make it overall more interesting on the long run.

Will probably go back to Ascent : The Space Game and CK2 between Stellaris sessions to get some variety, but I want to finish conquering the universe with my tygran imperialists !

29. derbefrier says:

let’s see more Doom, more Stellaris, and I get to play some Star Wars Imperial Assault this evening. Go on a be a good weekend.

30. Blastaz says:

Stellaris. Maybe some GTA San Andreas, no I’m not sure why either. That and waiting for total Warhammer, Witcher, and hearts of iron 4. It’s a good thing the weather is being cooperative and no one want to encourage me to drink pimms in a park..:

31. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

This weekend playing the long in the planning “Deploy wife’s secret 30th Birthday party and assorted surprises”. It’s surprisingly stressful, I would make a rubbish spy.

Found time for some Metro:Last Light last night, probably my only gaming of the weekend, was really enjoying. Thought I’d grown tired of FPSes but this one’s really good. We’ll paced with quieter stops in incredibly realised underground towns. Makes me pine for a Stalker reinstall.

32. Phantasma says:

I would have thought Stellaris nonstop but then a juicy Witcher 3 sale came along and with all DLC close to being released it was time to take the plunge.
    And maybe, as some posters before me already mentioned, the midgame in Stellaris really needs a few content updates. Caught myself wastching my fleets and science buckets go up and not really know what to do with them.

But now, the Witcher.
    Needed a bit of acclimatisation but now i’m terribly hooked. Great atmosphere, worldbuilding and characters. It’s really refreshing playing a RPG that isn’t troubled with an 15 years old engine and/or design principles (Bethesda, do you feel the burn?).

The only thing i’m not quite sure of is the combat/movement. It certainly got better but in comparison to -for example- Dragon’s Dogma it still feels clunky and sometimes lacks the same level of precision or control (both with a gamepad).
    I’m sure it can be overcome with practise but i don’t yet see a fundamental advantage instead of the movement system just being a bit more… can’t find the right word for it.. precise from the outset?

Beside these small niggles i’m having a blast and surprisingly warmed up to Geralt as well. In the prequels i couldn’t stand him much but now i can relate a lot more.

AutonomyLost says:

Just a heads-up: there is an option in the menu, under which page I can’t remember, that has a movement toggle. I think it’s standard (or maybe classic?) by default and can be toggled to alternate I believe.

Maybe more simple: default, the toggle is to the left, so maybe try moving it to the right haha. It was in a patch a long time ago and allows Geralt to be moved with slightly more precision, and is less floaty. I liked the standard, but both are usable.

33. Frank says:

The Overland alpha, which I just got into.

34. shocked says:

After being a bit disappointed by DivinityOS I started a new playthrough of the Witcher3 with the season pass on death march and without all those question marks on the map. That’ll take several months, I guess.

• Imbecile says:

DivinityOS takes a while to get into, but was worth persevering with mostly for the combat system. The dialogue is … at best quirky, so if youre in it for the plot, world or dialogue then you are probably right to bail. The Witcher 3 is excellent, regardless.

• shocked says:

I agree. I played DivinityOS for about 30 hours now and the combat is great (although a bit repetetive, but that might be my fault).
        And I don’t mind that it tries to be funny, but I think the humor sometimes is more annoying than fun (Zixzax) and I can’t connect at all with the story or characters. After hearing a lot of good things about it I guess I expected a bit more.

35. Bobtree says:

I bought the Dota 2 TI6 Battle Pass (lv 50) only to discover that you need level 125 to unlock the Immortal Gardens map skin. To earn 75 more levels in ~100 days requires an average of 750 points per day! So, I have a crazy amount of Dota to grind, and am in need of a BP points guide. The wiki has all the numbers (link to dota2.gamepedia.com), but I haven’t seen any analysis of the totals or expected averages. Furthermore, you only collect points for winning, and half the time I forget to select the right quest for my selected hero, not to mention that playing for quests will foul up matches. I’d say the odds are fairly good that Valve placed the IG map out of reach on purpose, and will be getting more cash from many players to unlock it.

36. Danny says:

Finished Dark Souls 3 – except for the Nameless King, he can fuck right off – and am now playing Battle Brothers and Stellaris. BB is a great TB tactical wargame that reminds me of Mount & Blade, Xcom and the brutality of the Rogue-like genre. And every so often, when I’m tired of thinking, I play some Rocket League games up to the point where I rage quit because of a bad match-up.

Still need to finish TW3’s story as well, but something just keeps me from firing up the game. Wouldn’t have mind a shorter more focussed narrative.

37. geldonyetich says:

Though I bounced off of Stellaris, it seems to have nonetheless rekindled my interest in 4X games.

I gave Civilization: Beyond Earth a solid play yesterday, and I’m sorry to say it has been over-engineered to the point where I was wasting my time. The five victory conditions are all quite boring to obtain, the tech web is impenetrable, my AI opponents are annoying jerks, and what value is left of the game is something I’ve already bored of playing in Civ V. It’s also quite surprisingly laggy on the UI level, with input lag dragging constantly at my enjoyment of the game and at my time investment.

Today, amidst all the important stuff I put off to do, I’m planning on playing Galactic Civilizations III. Just as Sid Meier’s Civilization may have lost its way, it seems likely Galactic Civilizations has found it. I can’t say too much about my personal experience of playing it, but I’m up to the teens in watching a Let’s Play, and it looks much more interesting.

teije says:

Well, Stellaris for me. Agree with others the mid-game drags and it needs more fleshing out in some areas, but still there’s tons to keep me addicted for the nonce.

AutonomyLost says:

I will be finishing Dark Souls III, beginning DOOM, and continuing my playthrough of The Witcher 3, in order to prepare for a NG+ situation wherein I will pursue both the “Hearts of Stone” and “Blood and Wine” DLCs. I’m quite excited for it all!

40. Carra says:

More Stellaris, time to try out Ironman mode.

41. Scurra says:

I’m currently having my first go at a big game (DEx:HR) with a gamepad, and finding it extraordinarily difficult. How the hell are you supposed to aim properly?! It all felt so easy with the mouse…

42. consolitis says:

Not that anyone’s going to read this or care, but I shall be playing Defender of the Crown (Amiga CD32 emulated version) and wondering WHY there isn’t a modern day videogame equivalent of a Jousting Tournament? I am so sick of endless FIFA 2013, 2014, PES 2016, F1 2014, F1 2015, MLB The Show 2016 yearly sports games year after frigging year the same frigging game every year but oh no. Would games developers ever DARE to make a different type of sports game set in Medieval Times? Would they frigging ever. Why aren’t we playing Medieval Games: Black Knight Edition or whatever already by now? Wouldn’t it be perfect for Oculus too? And not just the Medieval period. There’s so many possibilities for sports games set in past times but we never see them. Circus Maximus racing: Ben Hur Edition, Colosseum Trainer: Spartacus Edition, Gladiator: House Batiatus Edition… Do I really have to quit my job and do it myself or are any established videogames designers out there going to get off your asses to do it?! Or is it just me who wants to see different and potentially interesting games like this????

• floogles says:

I would play a jousting game like this, it felt very scary to me. Defender of the Crown on Amiga was one of the first game games I played obsessively. Everything about it seemed magical at the time, but I never won a single joust. I must have tried over 1000 times. So much loading time for so much disappointment.

• fish99 says:

Chivalry?

43. malkav11 says:

I’d wager some Hex and/or Marvel Heroes, if only as games that I can play while listening to podcasts. Maybe a bit of American Truck Simulator for similar reasons.

In terms of dedicated gaming, though, torn between pushing further into Pillars of Eternity and/or Dragon Age: Inquisition (or maybe even Avadon: The Black Fortress), knowing full well I probably won’t actually finish them in the near future, working on levelling my Sith Sorceror in SWTOR, or maybe starting something new.

I did try Sylvio this past week and while I was promised horror and EVP investigation-y stuff, what I actually got was wandering slowly around a dark amusement park and then hotel-ish building solving extremely simple inventory puzzles and contending with still quite awkward controls and a silly potato gun thing, then abruptly losing several minutes of progress for no apparent reason. I guess maybe there was a monster that I didn’t even notice, or something? I have no idea. Anyway, that was enough for me.

44. gabrielonuris says:

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor. I must say that I was a little skeptical torwards this game, as after The Witcher 3 I’ve got a bit burnt out of openworld games that wasn’t made by CDProjektRED. But I’m impressed. Shadow of Mordor mixes the Assassin’s Creed parkour with Batman’s combat, and… What can I say, it’s astonishingly good!

45. Zekiel says:

Bioshock 2 Minerva’s Den for me; probably 3/4 of the way through. The story isn’t as wonderful as I’d been led to believe, but it’s still Bioshock 2 gameplay, which is pretty great.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Picked up DOOM the other day after finishing Dark Souls 3. Played the first couple levels yesterday and so far I think we might have a good game on our hands. The metal isn’t as obnoxious as I worried it might be but I am still keeping my fingers crossed that you’ll be able to swap the music files. I would be enjoying this more if the music actually had some kind of effect on me.

47. jennanorman says:

I am making $89/hour working from home. I never thought that it was legitimate but my best friend is earning $10 thousand a month by working online, that was really surprising for me, she recommended me to try it. just try it out on the following website.
    ============ http://www.Path50.com

48. Whomest says:

2″I left my office job and now I am receiving 89 Dollars hourly. How? I work over internet! My old work was making me unhappy, so I was forced to try something alttered. Two years later…I can say my life is changed-completely for the better! Check it out what i do…n.

======= To Know More Visit Here

Thulsa Hex says:

I’m still doing my 100% achievement run of the first Dark Souls, but hit a major milestone last night in that I finished “New Game”. Since I’ve already collected all the random drops and fixed location loot, I’m positively flying through NG+ — collecting Souvenirs of Reprisal from lowly sinners as I go.

I have to say that coming back to this game after originally finishing it four years ago has been nothing but pure pleasure. I was floored by it then, and this recent run has only kindled (har, har) my feelings. It’s a beautiful, sad, enduringly mystic thing. I love the world, the esoteric lore, and sublime art direction. I love how these things mesh with a series of strange and convoluted systems in a fashion that complements and reinforces the whole. I love that all this is built on a foundation that happens to be one of the most satisfying (yet simple) core gameplay loops ever devised. To me, Dark Souls is as good an example of unfettered creative vision as you’ll find in any medium.

I’ll try to restrain myself from gushing too much more, but I have to mention the one thing that was completely new for me this time ’round: the Artorias of the Abyss DLC. I saved it until I was nearing the end and holy hell did I enjoy it. Lore-wise, there’s some real juicy tidbits to be had, and those boss battles are among the best in the series. If you’re invested in the world, finally encountering Artorias himself is a powerful moment. Good stuff.

• floogles says:

Your words really captured my experience of Dark Souls 1 very well, thank you for writing this out.

The increasing sense of sadness and desolation as I progressed through the game was unique. I went from role-playing a heroic cleric in the beginning, to only wearing the armour and weapons of a black knight as I gradually interpreted the situation I found myself in.

This excerpt from an interview with Miyazaki captures his idea of making dignity right at the forefront of design in the game, and goddamn did he succeed: link to twitter.com

50. TobyByard says:

★ ★

My first job out of High School was at St Paul and over the next 5 years Iearned so very much. Seeing the hospital torn down tears a small piece of my heart out. The Daughters of Charity and the doctors and staff of St Paul Hospital will always be with me.

★★★◕◡◕◕◡◕◕◡◕
    Best Of Luck for new Initiative!

———————- link to tiny.tw