Relationship Goals: The Technomancer Gets New Trailer

The Technomancer [official site], for those of you unaware, is the incoming Mars-flung sci-fi RPG from developers Spiders that’s closing in on a June launch. What we’ve seen so far looks pretty promising, yet the French outfit’s back catalogue of ambitious but wonky titles haven’t exactly wowed players or critics in the past post release. The latest trailer covers how companions will function in the latest trip to the Red Planet which, again, sounds impressive. So why can’t I shake the feeling that history might be repeating itself? Before we continue, here’s that trailer:

“All of your companions have their own mood, preferences and moral code,” explains the narrator above. “If you act too much against their beliefs they might get mad at you and go so far as to leave your group. On the contrary, shine and prove worthy of their trust and you’ll nurture friendships. Or more.”

We’re then told that companions who like us will be more useful to us than those who don’t and, while that’s probably obvious, the dynamics and intricacies of relationships all start to sound a bit modern Fallout/Mass Effect which is undoubtedly a good thing. Although far from the most enticing trailer, what Spiders are promising at this stage sounds good and it’s probably telling that throughout The Technomancer’s marketing, there’s been little mention of their previous works.

The dichotomy we’re faced with, then, is that in doing so are the devs distancing themselves from their middling previous works in search of a clean slate? Or are they inadvertently setting us up for a fail? I really don’t know, even if I’d like to believe the former.

Perhaps I’m being harsh, though. What do you guys reckon?

NB – As a probably very relevant aside, regardless of how nice The Technomancer looks, a sizable part of what keeps me engaged in these trailers is the alluring voiceovers which come courtesy of the game’s publisher Focus Home. I could honestly listen to that dude’s voice all day.

The Technomancer is due for release on June 28, 2016.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Blastaz says:

I really like all of spiders previous work. They do great world building and pretty deep systems. While they lack the polish of a bio ware game, and there isn’t usually a reason to replay them, I have had a blast with each one.

• G-Lord says:

That reminded me that I always thought that I might like their work, but never actually made the jump. Maybe it’s finally time to give them a chance.

Aitrus says:

Thanks for making me aware of this. Could be pretty fun.

3. Unsheep says:

That’s nonsensical. Most developers don’t mention their previous games prior to a new game being launched, even those that were successful. After all they want people to buy their new game first and foremost, not their old ones.

Did you expect Bethesda to start re-advertising for Oblivion just as Skyrim was being launched ? No, I can’t imagine that.

Did you expect Namco to start a big marketing push for Dark Souls 2 prior to Dark Souls 3 coming out ? No, don’t think so either.

From the information we have, Technomancer is either a sequel to or complete reboot of ‘Mars: War Logs’. Since when has either been a cause for alarm ? It’s irrational.

After all, the media has more than welcomed the Doom and Tomb Raider reboots, and celebrated sequels such as Dark Souls 3 and Total War Warhammer.

4. Eight Rooks says:

Are you… intentionally being obtuse? The videogames industry doesn’t put quite as much emphasis on “FROM THE MAKERS OF…” etc., etc. as the film industry does, but it flatly does do it, that’s a subjective fact. Given you might then expect Spiders to tout that their game is “FROM THE MAKERS OF MARS: WAR LOGS”, Joe here is basically wondering why they’re not doing that. Is it confidence in how awesome the game is, or is it an underhanded attempt to make sure no-one remembers that they’re a developer who lots of people feel make ambitious but wonky, low-budget games that over-promise and underdeliver, or is it a bit of both?

And I played Mars: War Logs. I liked it enough I’d really like to see Spiders finally make something genuinely good that delivers on their obvious passion for what they do, but there was plainly enough about the game that was mediocre to utter rubbish that a sequel could certainly be said to be cause for alarm. Tone it down, eh? Maybe it’s just poor choice of words on your part, but you sound disturbingly like a marketing plant, IMO.

• Eight Rooks says:

Sigh, reply fail. Presumably because I was so confused at the content of the post I was trying to reply to. Let’s go with that. <_<

• sgt. grumbles says:

Without necessarily agreeing, I’ll hazard you meant objective, not subjective.

• Don Reba says:

It’s like someone finally writes “figuratively” instead of “literally,” and it’s in the wrong context.

• Phasma Felis says:

It’s not your fault. Among its numerous failings, the comment software randomly forgets when a post is supposed to be a reply.

• aircool says:

After all, you get Sid Meier’s this and Sid Meier’s that.

However, you also get Peter Molyneux promised this and Peter Molyneux failed to deliver again…

5. Darth Gangrel says:

Looking at the header image, I see that kind of hairstyle all of the time. Does that mean that we already live in a cyberpunk world or that the people sporting it are just posers?

Aitrus says:

Didn’t you hear? Every game must now have undercuts, no matter the world, time period, or art style. At least one undercut must be present to forever solidify the game as being from the 2010s era.

• Shinard says:

Wait, left or right haircut? The left is a poser haircut, the right looks more like a bad comb over.

• Darth Gangrel says:

The left haircut is the one that most resembles what I’m referring to, which according to Aitrus (and urbandictionary) is called an undercut. The right one looks like a weird alternative to that, which is used just to be alternative.

6. tnankie says:

I stopped the video ’cause I couldn’t stand the narrators voice. Common voice (in trailer narration) though isn’t it, same person been used elsewhere, can’t quite place it though.

Just re-listened to the introduction to make sure I really don’t like it and yeah I hate it. I don’t know why you’d deliberately pick someone who sounds like they have a head cold (and if they did have a cold why you wouldn’t wait until they had got over it).

7. a very affectionate parrot says:

I’m kinda sad they didn’t keep the amazing subtitle from their previous mars-based rpg.

8. TormDK says:

Looks decent enough, I liked the previous game in the series, so will be interesting to see what Spider cooked up for us.

9. Merus says:

It doesn’t seem like RPS has, at any point, made a Spiders from Mars joke about this developer and subject matter. So I will.

• obowersa says:

I always think of Alastair Reynolds and the Spiders from Revelation Space.

10. Spacewalk says:

I sure hope that one of those companions is a stylist.

11. Zallgrin says:

Since I loved Mars: War Logs, I’ve been dying to play Technomancer. It seems we will finally see more of the different factions and Mars itself *_*

How am I supposed to make another month until the release…

12. jfml says:

So, I can change appearnece of the main character (see Gameplay Trailer) but can I change the gender?

• Zallgrin says:

Yeah, this time it’s a male protagonist only. (unlike their former game Bound by Flame)

I am pretty sure though that it’s only due to budget restrictions. Spiders tend to always run out of money awfully quick and their third act tends to be rather bare bone. Add to the fact that they finally began using motion capture, it’s likely that having a second set of animated protagonist would have stretched their resources rather thin.

13. cautet says:

“the dynamics and intricacies of relationships all start to sound a bit modern Fallout/Mass Effect which is undoubtedly a good thing”

Dynamics and intricacies of relationships might be overstating video game sex and perk bonuses somewhat.