Bombs & Burrows: New Worms WMD Multiplayer Trailer

Over 3,000,000,000 worms have met their fate since the eponymous Worms launched its first turn-based strategy/murderfest iteration in 1995. So say its developers Team 17 anyway, and given the fact there’s been 20-some-odd variations of the banana bomb and kamikaze combo released in the last 21 years, I’m willing to accept that claim as true. This week, the upcoming Worms WMD [official site] peaked its head above the soil-covered parapet for the first time in a while with a new multiplayer trailer.

Aye, it’s worms as you know it. But there’s tanks this time too.

There’s also rocket-launching choppers for you to send skyward, concealable buildings for you to take cover in, and a gigantic concrete donkey that appears to be used as a crushing weapon and is inspired by a real life garden ornament. Because, well, Worms. Obviously. Check that out:

The above aims to “add new strategic elements of gameplay to the traditional wormy warfare,” say Team17. “Players can dive into the extensive single player modes or compete in crazy multiplayer with local couch co-op and online modes supporting up to six players with up to eight worms each.”

Admittedly, I played a lot of Worms Way Back When therefore that, to me, looks exciting. According to words shared with PCGamesN last year, WMD will pull from 1999’s Worms Armageddon and while the prospect of steering tanks and helicopters around its battlefields sounds exciting, I’m most looking forward to seeing how its cover system works in practice.

Much of what I loved about Worms games, the early ones in particular, was their omnipresent sense of vulnerability and how even when not in direct range of an opponent, you were never safe. I’m keen to see how the addition of cover by way of concealable buildings shakes things up for both sides.

Worms WMD is without a set release date for now but is expected to launch later this year.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. LionsPhil says:

Cover? DARK SIDE PLAY.

• Kaeoschassis says:

You’d better believe it.

I was the kind of player who perfected exploiting the hilarious physics glitches on the ninja rope back in Armageddon, and delighted in scooping up every crate on the map in one swoop, dropping a mine on the opponent’s head and then landing safely in a convenient hole well out of reach of counterattack. Matches against me took WEEKS. I am not even sorry.

2. onodera says:

It seems the series haven’t improved one bit since Worms 2.

• LionsPhil says:

Highpoint of the series, especially the weapon editor.

Kemuel says:

Yes! Everyone fawns over Armageddon as the pinnacle, but it was Worms 2 for me. First outing with the now-iconic graphics and voices, best opening cinematics and the ability to edit and create weapons!

• Bweahns says:

I was going to post the same thing. I played that game to death with my mates and I became a master of lobbing grenades across the map straight down people’s tunnels. I could hit anyone with a Bazooka as long as the wind wasn’t completely against me etc. After Worms 2 there were just all these stupid over the top spammy weapons and I lost all interest as the skill ceiling had lowered considerably.

3. Synesthesia says:

Damn, they just can’t make it work again, can they? The last 2d one was a disastrous ordeal with tiny tiny maps.

4. Kollega says:

This actually looks pretty exciting. The vehicles, the explosions, the murkier look, the eight-worm limit… the everything. I was pretty disappointed by Worms: Reloaded when I bought it a few years ago, but the only thing that looks disappointing from the get-go here is that tank treads don’t procedurally hug the terrain as they move across it.

5. Turkey says:

I think it’s disgusting how they’re glorifying worm war 1 in this game. It’s disrespectful to all the soldiers who were Ryu punched off a cliff during the conflict.

• deanamasterson says:

My first job out of High School was at St Paul and over the next 5 years Iearned so very much. Seeing the hospital torn down tears a small piece of my heart out. The Daughters of Charity and the doctors and staff of St Paul Hospital will always be with me.

★★★◕◡◕◕◡◕◕◡◕
      Best Of Luck for new Initiative!

.★★★◕◡◕◕◡◕◕◡◕ http://cashjob50.tk

6. widardd says:

Sorry Team17, I stopped caring about Worms when I discovered Hedgewars years ago.

• Zankman says:

Why? I tried that game and it was just too amateurish to play.

7. Shadow says:

That has to be the weirdest tank design I’ve ever seen.

8. bill says:

Scorched Earth for life!

9. wraithgr says:

After T17 tried every excuse under the sun to avoid upping the player limit to 6, they’re finally bringing it back..

Guess they realized that 17 years later, worms:armageddon is still outselling any of their more recent junk…

Really psyched about this, hope it doesn’t suck!

10. lglethal says:

Nothing beats the crazy exploding sheep. Bahhhhhh *BOOM*!!!!!

• Apologised says:

What about crazy exploding sheep from the planet Krypton?

For myself, there once was a time where I was a goddamn brain-surgeon with the Holy Hand Grenade.
      Those times are gone now, but the memories remain…

Herzog says:

I hope they corrected the fixed fps issues from the last game. Made the game unplayable for me. Trailer looks fun though!

12. KastaRules says:

Friendship-destroying tactics. LOL true that! I remember back in ’95 when I was a kid, how many fights we had over a well placed banana bomb!