Five Nights At Freddy’s: Sister Location Gets First Trailer

I have the cold today which means I’m irritable and sniffly and struggling with the Monday morning blues more than usual. Perhaps the first trailer for animatronic scare fest Five Nights at Freddy’s: Sister Location [official site] that snuck out of the shadows over the weekend can scare the sickness out of me?

Light on scares, then, but probably the most sophisticated FNAF trailer we’ve seen from creator Scott Cawthon so far and one which looks to recapture the unsettling horror of the previous games. Besides the recent and slightly bizarre RPG spin-off, of course.

Since its launch on Saturday, that there video has been viewed over two million times and if that’s not enough to illustrate just how popular the series has become in the last two years, the lively discussions taking place among fans as they speculate what the latest footage might mean probably is. I’m really not sure myself, but there’s interesting theories doing the rounds.

Although Cawthon had previously suggested Five Nights at Freddy’s 4 was to be the “final chapter” of the series, Sister Location’s reveal last month confirmed there’s life in the old bear yet. There’s no solid release date for now, however Five Nights at Freddy’s: Sister Location is due for release “this fall”. Then again, Cawthon has a history of jumping the gun with regards to schedules so, who knows, you might be visiting his newest nightmare even sooner.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Shakes999 says:

Is he beating a dead horse? Sure! But they sell well, a bunch of people like them, and they make Lets Players a bunch of ad revenue.

Truthfully, he’s on about the same release schedule as Telltale is with their games so if he’d just title them in a episodic way, he’d probably get a lot less crap about milking the franchise.

….. or maybe not, this is the internet after all.

• Kamalen says:

Ubisoft used to release Assassin’s Creed at a much faster pace without this level of hate… so yes, the internet

2. Kollega says:

This trailer makes one thing abundantly clear: judging by the intricate animation and shiny hi-def models, some of that FNAF 1 to 4 money found its way back into the production. And really, that’s very good.

Still would’ve honestly preferred to see something brand-new and off-kitter, though. In my humble opinion, a wild success in the style of FNAF should not be a reason for anyone to become a one-trick developer.

• Kollega says:

Disclaimer: I’m not a FNAF fan in the least, but not a hater either, and most definitely an artsy indie hipster type when it comes to gamedev.

3. TeePee says:

Eh, I don’t know how I feel about FNAF.

On one hand, I liked the original enough to give it a positive Steam review, then ignored the rest of the series quite happily – I’d seen more or less all there was to see and enjoyed it without wanting any more of it. I certainly didn’t begrudge the creator a quick sequel to make some more money on a concept well-executed and to give those that really loved it some more of the same, but four sequels felt a little like overkill and squeezing every last drop of blood from that stone.

On the other hand, what’s it to me? Clearly there are people out there who do like it and who have continued to buy the games, and it’s not hurting anyone, no-one’s forcing me to play it (or to watch bad streamers ‘hilariously’ overreact to predictable jumpscares), so more power to the guy if he’s managed to drag five sequels out of a £4 game he probably didn’t expect to sell a thousand copies of.

I think the answer is the one that I should probably use a little more often – ‘I guess I’m just not in the target audience’.

4. MrFinnishDude says:

Ugh, I have never played a FNAF game because of its prevalent fanbase.
    I know I’m not the only one who thinks that way.

The importance of Fandoms to a game’s public opinion seems to be undermined.
    Undertale, a game what I consider to be an artistic masterpiece, is sadly currently going trough the same “Fandom Stigma” as FNAF, since most of it’s fandom’s perceived output is pictures drawn in MS Paint by 12 year olds and skeletons fucking.

5. vorador says:

Never liked the series, but i’m not very good with jump scares. I find them cheap and annoying. And FNAF is mostly about them.