Homeworld: Remastered Big Fixes and Tweaks Incoming

After a rather long drought, Homeworld: Remastered Collection [official site] will be getting a sizeable update that will introduce sweeping changes to fleet formations while also adding ballistics to projectile weapons. Oh, and bug fixes, lots of ’em. According to a report by Fists of Heaven, the update has been in the works for more than six months and is the core focus of a small team within Gearbox Software. As of yet, no official release date has been announced.

“We’ve been heads down on this patch for 6 months which can make us look like we haven’t been paying attention, but we have,” Gearbox’s Dave Eaton told Fists of Heaven, addressing grumblings from the community who were dissatisfied by the lack of post-launch support for Homeworld.

The update will be tackling a lot of those grumblings head on, chiefly by fixing the formations system that governs how units gather and self-organize. The emphasis here is on creating a system that’s “intelligent” and automatically reorganizes a formation depending on the race and type of each unit. As an example, Eaton illustrated how a group of ‘Vagyr destroyers’ would find a different place in a formation compared to their ‘Kushan’ counterparts due to the requirements of their differing weapon systems.

Another big change focuses on adding proper ballistics for projectile weapons. In another demonstration, Fist of Heaven was shown how bullets are now governed by realistic physics, allowing missed shots to still strike units behind a target. Some shots will even misfire, causing projectiles to veer wildly off target. This seems like a big improvement compared to the original system, which merely relied on random number generation (RNG) to determine if a shot landed or not.

Gearbox is also addressing other issues, like changing how formations move in space, forcing players to adapt to larger formations that maneuver slower because of their size. There’s also going to be a host of bug fixes and balance tweaks aimed at making Homeworld: Remastered Collection an even more enjoyable experience.

“We’ve been busting our asses to get it done,” Eaton said. “And the results are going to be  something that I hope everyone’s really happy with.”

There’s no telling how much longer it will take, but Eaton confirmed the patch was entering its “final stages.” Hopefully that means soon.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. trooperdx3117 says:

Absolutely delighted to hear about this! The weakest part of HWRM was its use of the HW2 engine. If Gearbox pull off what they intend to then this could become its greatest strength.
    Homeworld 2 will be a much better game if it too has formations and real time ballistics like Homeworld 1

• Rich says:

Having read the article, HW2 ships will form formations too. Apparently they drop out of their normal strike group formation to join the lager one.

• SomeDuder says:

If (and only if) the updates’ features work as advertised, this might be the Best Thing Ever®. Especially the ballistic model, which always irked me in HW2, even way back then. And nowadays, with our powerful hardware, there’s no reason at all not to simulate each and every single projectile, a la Supreme Commander.

Genuinly surprised that Gearbox let these guys put in the hours that they did – the company lost quite a bit of goodwill over the years and doesn’t strike me as one that cares about aftersales support. Hopefully they can turn it around with moves like this.

2. FriendlyFire says:

They’ve also mentioned sizable modding features to make it even easier to mod and to allow even more stuff to be modded which makes me rather excited.

This came out of nowhere, but I’m really happy it’s happening. HWRC might just become the absolute definitive version of Homeworld 1 and 2.

3. epmode says:

I’m so happy that this is actually happening. These guys are lovely.

4. Hobbes says:

Do want.

5. Dave L. says:

Some of the Gearbox guys have been talking about this patch for the past few months, but they only ever talked about the formations stuff. They apparently had to completely tear out HW2’s movement system and write a new one from scratch.

The stuff about ballistics was a very welcome surprise when this article hit.

6. pistolhamster says:

I refrained from buying HWRC because of this. Now I think I will do it, WHEN it is released!

JiminyJickers says:

Sweet, I have held off playing this until the fixed the formations. Got the game on sale but sounds like I will be able to play it again soon.

8. snowgim says:

Sounds like a big update, but I hope they’re also fixing the bug in Homeworld Classic that stops me getting past mission 10.

9. Rich says:

What bug was that?

10. Razumen says:

Wow, I wasn’t expecting this at all. If they actually pull this off and fix the issues with Homeworld 1, whilst also bringing over the improvements to Hw2, then this is a definitely a buy for me. I was not a fan at all of how borked Hw1 was due to the shift to the Hw2 engine, formations and projectile modelling being the chief issues.

11. Heliocentric says:

I hear Complex 10 is waiting on this patch, and this will not do!

Super excited. I can only think of a few situations where scattered fire would matter, I want them to fully evoke the Mass Effect (2?) quote on where they say ‘when you fire this gun, you are ruining the day of ‘someone somewhere’.

A scout getting splattered by a misfired mass driver round from halfway across the battle would be exceptional.