Syberia 3 Coming This Year, Gets New Trailer

Making videogames, I’m told, is a pretty complicated process that generally involves loads of work, little sleep and interminable volumes of coffee. As such, it’s of little surprise that games get delayed and release dates slip from time to time. Take Syberia 3 [official site] – the first entry to Microïds’ adventure series since 2004 – for example; it was announced in 2009, given a 2014/2015 release window, featured in the RPS Games Wot Could Be Conceivably Good list at the start of last year, and yet here we are in the middle of 2016 and it’s nowhere to be…

Oh, Microïds have announced it’ll release on December 1, you say? And it’s got a new gameplay trailer into the bargain? Smashing.

For those new to the Syberia party, the first series instalment landed in 2002 and was a pretty solid affair with a decent plot and some relatively clever puzzles. I can’t remember why I missed its sequel two years later, however I understand it wasn’t very good – even if the series has gained sort-of cult status since. To quote the venerable John Walker, who is, by the way, fond of the original: “Syberia II was fucking awful”.

This time round, intrepid lawyer Kate Walker resumes her leading role and is “back on the road with a new quest to fulfil.” Author and artist Benoit Sokal has also returned and, in what is a first for the series, Syberia 3 is rendered fully in 3D. Whereas Syberia 2 was a continuation of the events that unfolded in the original game, Syberia 3’s story is said to stand alone yet there does seem to be parts which crossover. Here’s Microïds on that:

“This new episode of Kate Walker’s journey begins as she finds herself adrift on a makeshift craft. Fortunately, a caravan of the Youkol people, whom she had already encountered in Syberia 2, finds her before her life slips away. Determined to evade their common enemies, Kate decides to help the nomads fulfill the oddest of their ancestral traditions: accompanying the transhumance of the snow ostriches to the holy steppes where they can reproduce.”

With the finish line now officially in sight, the following video, named Kate Walker’s New Journey, offers a brief insight into the game’s development process as well as some in-game footage. Take a look:

Syberia 3 is due to release for Mac and Windows on December 1.

From this site

1. Don Reba says:

Couldn’t finish the second one for being bored to tears.

• Pazguato says:

Actually, I had to push myself to finish the first.

• TheSplund says:

I didn’t make it past the first train stop – truly dire

• Halk says:

I can understand how some people might enjoy neither of the two, as, yes, they tend the be a bit slow at times. Really, these are games that you play for the atmosphere and for nothing else. I KIND of liked them, but often had to force myself to keep playing, but in the end I am not sorry that I mustered that discipline.

I cannot however understand at all how someone can like 1 and dislike 2. Syberia 2 was basically the same game as Syberia 1. Actually, they were like episode 1 and 2 of a single game. When you play part 2 directly after part 1 you completely forget that you have to launch a different .exe now.

2. int says:

“Author and artist Benoit Sokal has also returned…” Yey!

Also, about mother-took-tooting time.

3. rustybroomhandle says:

I was not fond of the second one tlat first either, but on my second playthrough many years later I enjoyed it more. That time I knew some of the puzzles and cheated on the rest, the result being that the whole thing flowed better.

4. TomxJ says:

“the snow ostriches”

Kate Walkers Extended Gap year just gets better and better.

5. GernauMorat says:

The face of the man in the first picture is the most terrifying thing I’ve seen in a while.

6. Asrafil says:

The previous games had some puzzles that were infuriating, nevertheless when I think of both, I remember the beautiful journey more than anything else. That journey stayed with me long after finishing it.

• G-Lord says:

I can’t add anything to that, well put.

• PseudoKnight says:

Agreed. It had some glaring flaws, but the adventure was too enticing. So despite many roadblocks, I finished both of them (I played them in the late 2000s, if I recall). I haven’t finished many adventure games. I remember it fondly despite those frustrations.

zapatapon says:

I realize I am probably in the minority here, but I a have a fond memory of Syberia 2. Not really something specific, but I remember liking the slow pace, the feeling of gradually leaving behind all civilization, getting more and more lost into the snow, guided by an uncertain purpose that may turn out a total delusion.

• Halk says:

>I realize I am probably in the minority here,
      >but I a have a fond memory of Syberia 2.

Don’t worry, that’s okay. In fact it’s normal on RPS.

The writers here try very hard to convince themselves and us that games are art and that they are true art critics and intellectuals. And what could be a better way to pull that of than having very strong opinions about things, and to present them with the arrogance of a stereotypical art critic who thinks that of course every sensible person must agree with them. And judging by the comments on the site, that strategy pays off — people usually don’t dare to disagree.

That you dare to just shows your healthy self-confidence.

zapatapon says:

Do I also show healthy self-confidence when profoundly disliking you using me to push forward your personal agenda against RPS?

• Halk says:

Not sure. I guess you first need to tell me what you think my “personal agenda” might be.

8. tortortor says:

You have to wonder, have these artists ever seen a woman in a winter jacket?

9. waltC says:

My wife liked these and I enjoyed them, too! Great stories, I thought. The only monotonous thing about the first two games is that Kate Walker always wore the same clothes, scene after scene, day after day. The universal palette never changed. They used a semi-3d model (low res) as Kate, but everything else was 2d, sort of a parallax scroll/pixel hunt. You could at least FSAA Kate to some degree–but that was it. The stories were captivating, though. Glad to see them going fully 3d–just hope they can avoid the cartoon look I see in the trailer. Something magic about these, I thought.

Thulsa Hex says:

Ah, this looks like it could be nice. I hope it survives the transition to 3D, for if the controls are good, it could be real relaxing to play on the couch.

I must get around to finishing 2.

11. a very affectionate parrot says:

I think the first time i saw the phrase ‘Citizen Kane of Games’ was in a Syberia 2 review from either PC Format or PC Gamer.
    Will this be the Citizen Kane 2 of games?

• a very affectionate parrot says:

Haha I just found a comment from me that’s pretty much exactly the same on the Have You Played Syberia article.
      The citizen kane of comments.

12. Buggery says:

I am extremely hype for this – particularly if they return to some of the former soviet industrial towns and vaguely far eastern european / alps type areas of the first game.

For real, the puzzles were about 50% lovely, 50% cack, but the environmental design was absolutely beautiful. The second game was great too (although the puzzles were much, much worse) right up until you had to spend hours being frustrated in the inuit village. Arguably lovely design there too, but the puzzles and the awful scope of the place still bores me to tears.

13. kalirion says:

What’s this new journey business? Didn’t Syberia 2 end in the middle of a journey in progress?