Headbang to a Rockin’ Witcher 3: Blood and Wine Trailer

Blood and Wine, the upcoming final expansion to The Witcher 3 [official site], is due out May 31 and to get your blood pumping CD Projekt Red released this trailer showing off lots of story and dialogue. And because there’s nothing more metal than having a vampire bite your neck, CDPR went ahead and set the whole thing to a bumping alternative rock song because apparently they can just do what they want now and tone be damned.

The setting of Toussaint looks absolutely brilliant—and I’m not just talking about the colours. There’s a wonderful kind of contrast between its lavish exterior and the obvious rot that’s spreading underneath, and the bits of dialogue revealed in the trailer seem to be setting up a pretty climactic final act.

CD Projekt Red have said that you can expect to get around 30 hours out of Blood and Wine, with the region of Toussaint being roughly the size of Velen or Skellige from the main game. If you haven’t yet played The Witcher 3, that’s about a third of the total size — so yeah, it’s big.

There’s also going to be some new things to play around with, including a way to dye your armour, expansion of how mutagens work allowing for deeper character customization, and you can even own a vineyard if you want to give up your witching ways to get drunk while stomping on grapes barefoot for the rest of your life.

Renaissance man Richard Cobbett really enjoyed The Witcher 3’s first expansion pack, Hearts of Stone, so hopefully Blood and Wine isn’t a slouch either. Blood and Wine will cost £15.99/$19.99 or you can pick it up with Hearts of Stone for £19.99/$24.99.

After this, CD Projekt can’t say if they’ll even make another Witcher game.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. The Algerian says:

I’m gonna go ahead and just resist watching this. The expansion is only a week away, anyway.

Might as well go in fresh.

2. SMGreer says:

Whilst the music is indeed awful and tone-deaf for the trailer…my oh my, does this expansion look marvelous. Forget just how good looking the game is and Toussaint seems like a wonderful departure from the already excellent base game.

Not long now!

Vandelay says:

So, I’m currently having my first play of The Witcher 3 (it is marvelous.) Should I be getting these expansion when I am done or play them alongside the main game?

I understand that they do integrate with the main campaign, but can also be played as a separate option in the main menu. Does it lose anything doing it separately though?

• SMGreer says:

The ideal way to do it is to play them after you have completed the main quest, though they’ll be in your Quest log the moment you install them albeit with a minimum level suggestion. Just fits better.

The option to play them separately is really just there for those who’ve been away from the game a while or who just want to dive straight into the DLC. But if you’re already playing through, playing them as part of your existing game will be best.

Vandelay says:

Right, so I take it completing the game dumps you back in the map so you can continue clearing up secondary quests and Witcher contracts.

Still got loads to play though (at level 9-10, at the mo,) so really no rush.

• carewolf says:

Yes, at least I could first time I completed it. Second time, I skipped a few things I had done before, and got the bad ending, from that I don’t think you can continue.

• The Algerian says:

I think it’s better to finish the main game first, then do each expansion in chronological order.

• Zenicetus says:

Another reason to wait until finishing the main story, is that there are new high-level armor and weapon sets in both DLC’s. You’ll probably work your way up through the special Witcher armor and swords available during the core game, and this will give you something new to shoot for.

Big Dunc says:

Literally just finished the main game and Hearts of Stone, so this couldn’t come out at a better time for me. Maybe play some Gwent in the meantime…

5. renzollama says:

“Hey guys, marketing is pushing us hard to do another trailer for the new expansion.”

“Shit, I’m so tired of coming up with high quality marketing material. Just give this one to that new 19 year old intern, he’s got to be in touch gamer culture right?”

6. Vizkos says:

Surprised they didn’t go to the roots for rock/metal:

gritz says:

If there’s one thing marketing departments think they know about gamers, it’s that they love butt rock.

• sweenish says:

And/or dubstep/brostep.

magogjack says:

Thats not butt-rock….

QQ it is METALFACE BRO !!

• Phasma Felis says:

Look, I know RPS tries to cultivate a higher class of gaming discussion, and normally I appreciate that, but if you think gamers don’t love hard rock, you have seriously not been paying attention.

• stickypickle says:

B-but…I DO love butt rock!! :O

8. PsychoWedge says:

well, at least it’s not like the trailer for ArcaniA – A Gothic Tale. Dunno if anybody remembers that thing… :D

9. Phasma Felis says:

“nothing more metal”

“alternative rock”

Um.

• f0rmality says:

lol BMTH isn’t alternative rock, they’ve sorta moved away from their deathcore roots, but here’s one of their songs from the first album

link to youtube.com

alt rock eh?

• f0rmality says:

ignore my comment sorry meant to post this as a main comment not a reply

10. OmNomNom says:

I wish I could get into this game. It looks great and all but I only played for a few hours on release, the combat just didn’t click for me. When this many people rave about a game though, I feel it must be me that’s wrong.

Maybe I’ll try again one day and hopefully feel different.

Aitrus says:

I’ve played for about 15 hours so far and am probably going to stop. I enjoy the combat but that’s pretty much all I enjoy so far. Movement feels super duper laggy and clunky, all the game is is fetch/go-kill-this quests so far, and oh my god those cutscenes. Will they ever stop coming?! The whole thing feels like an MMORPG.

11. a very affectionate parrot says:

Oh God I can’t wait.
    I’ve been getting all the witcher gear and hoovering up the bloody question marks for the past few days in anticipation, got all of ’em on Velen but I doubt I’ll ever bother with the ones in the sea of Skellige.

12. Auldman says:

Music like this has it’s place but that was an immersion-kill! ‘Bros’ will love it I suspect. Could we get a better trailer with music more reflective of the game and it’s setting?

13. SexyHomie says:

Hmm.. time to finally finish Witcher 2, and then hop into Witcher 3!
    I enjoyed first one quiet bit, but from some weird reason I had really hard time to get into Witcher 2. I guess I will finish it just for sake of staying on track with Witcher 3