Overwatch’s Competitive Mode Hopefully Back In June

Overwatch [official site] came out yesterday, but I’m guessing by your exhausted hunch that you already knew that and are now desperately trying to cope with a whole day on no sleep. Just me? Okay. Well anyway, yesterday Overwatch game director Jeff Kaplan took to Facebook to answer questions from players and revealed that Overwatch’s anticipated Competitive Play mode would be returning in a big update hopefully near the end of June.

“Competitive mode is the current focus for the Overwatch team,” Kaplan says around 9:20 minutes into the video. “It’s the most important thing to add for us to add to the game.”

Overwatch’s Competitive Play was yanked before the open beta due to negative feedback from players, making the folks at Blizzard rethink the structure for competitive Overwatch. “The feedback we were seeing was a little bit critical of some of the decisions we made,” Kaplan explains. “We really took that to heart.”

Kaplan was hesitant to commit to a specific date for the launch, saying that his “‘not-commitment’ would be sometime toward the end of June—middle to end of June.”

He then went on to talk about some of the adjustments being made from the last iteration of Competitive Play, including increasing the length of seasons from one month to “probably around three months.” There’s some other tweaks too, like reducing the frequency of sudden death, but we’ll need to wait until later for more concrete details on all the changes.

For now, spend your downtime between each match by reading up on our detailed guide for every hero or read Pip’s interview with Michael Chu as they discuss Overwatch’s story and lore.

If you want some help with how the heroes play currently, check out our Overwatch character guide.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. DThor says:

I was watching some playing on Twitch last night and I still don’t understand why Blizzard gets this guaranteed plus marks on everything they release. They take themselves extremely seriously, the sense of humour in the game is super mainstream, like your uncle Phil at Christmas dinner. They make me think of Call of Duty trying to be TF2.
    The actual gameplay just seems like every other shooter, and half of the twitch feeds had this endlessly looping animation cycle of people opening loot which annoyed the hell out of me after the fifth time around.
    Yeah, I know, Mr. Grumps. Is it actually good/new/visceral/anything? I’ll undoubtedly give it a shot if they ever have a free weekend at some point, but given their name I’m not holding my breath…

• suramoto says:

Well, they allowed to try it before the release in a several-day open beta. Nothing new, that’s true. But I found it very addictive and funny. I realy enjoyed my time in overwatch. Still, I didn’t buy it yet. It seems to me that the fun will not last…

• barelyhomosapien says:

I don’t even like multiplayer shooters, really, but I love overwatch and can’t wait to play it more after going cold turkey at the close of the open beta.

Tiresome comparisons to TF2 aside it’s a grand old time and I see a lot of my free time being eaten up by it.

• trjp says:

I’m counting all the other team shooters which offer the chance to change your class/role AT ANY TIME to one of a very interesting and wide range of other options on the fingers on my fingerless hand!?

All the people who moaned about the game being bland on Twitch/Youtube had picked a class and stayed in it permanently.

All the people who enjoyed it, realized the trick is to co-ordinate what’s going on with what you’re wearing – yes, it requires some chat/planning/skill to do right and yes people can just be assholes about it but it’s pretty novel (I know TF2 has a limited form of this but here it’s the whole game!)

• trjp says:

and also, after the cartooneon explosion of visuals and noise that is Battlenborn, Overwatch is just really pleasing to be in.

• int says:

The only thing that I can say the game is true in need,
      Is something like good gory gibs and exit wounds that bleed.
      For I like gibs and bits and giblets and blood and brains and spleens and livers;
      And broken bones and busted heads and skin that’s peeled and quivers.

Of spinal fracture, face degloving, rash and blood that’s spurting;
      Of spiral fracture, hearts impaled, and limbs both broke and hurting.

• Synesthesia says:

While i disagree on the “gameplay” part, (will have to see once the meta settles, wether the game can stand up by itself), i strongly agree about the art direction.
      Everything is so bland, reeks of focus groups and stuff of the sort. I only like the design of bastion, and probably because it was ripped off Laputa. I saw the shorts and was thoroughly underwhelmed. The guys at valve had me laughing out loud with SFM stuff and a god knows how old engine.

• Synesthesia says:

*on a

god i fucking hate this comment system. Can we just move to disqus and be done with it?

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Because you would triple the amount of trolls over night. Look at the comments on PC Gamer and tell me that’s where you want things to go.

• Synesthesia says:

SUSD uses it, with little fuss. Maybe there should be more moderators. If not disqus, just anything, anything other than this fossil.

2. Frank says:

> Is it actually good/new/visceral/anything?

Well, the roadhog’s hookshot is novel enough that I haven’t seen it in a MP FPS before; and Symmetra can place a ton of wall-sticking sentries.

Overall, the game does feel pretty bland to me, though, with the same dynamic happening at all times on every map. Heroes of the Storm does a lot better, variety-wise.