Celestial Service: New Space Run Galaxy Trailer

What frustrated me most about Space Run was that it failed to deliver on its initial potential. Like Adam, I was taken by its nuanced slant on tower defence, as I built weapon-heavy space-trucks and hauled cargo containers to and fro hostile intergalactic thoroughfares, however I felt it became too repetitive after its first few hours. There was a good game lurking in there somewhere, but I felt Space Run just couldn’t realise it.

Its follow-up, Space Run Galaxy [official site], has released its first trailer and I’m starting to think it might right its forerunner’s wrongs. Hop below for a look.

“Your job is simple,” says space-runner Buck Mann – the protagonist of the first game, turned-gaffer this time round. “Deliver my client’s goods across the galaxy, and protect them from anything that stands in your way.” Evidently, that’s devastating asteroids, deadly aliens, and plundering pirate ships, if the following is anything to go by:

Set 20 years after the first game, Space Run Galaxy looks to build upon the original’s foundations while introducing a host of new stuff. Online contracts, for example, where you can take on or create and share new jobs sounds neat. So too does the black market and the scope you now have to set trade rates across the galaxy. So too too does the fact that restrictions on which ship you use in certain missions has been scrapped – a real bugbear of mine the first time round.

If repetition was Space Run’s biggest downfall, I hope the variety developer Passtech Games has planned for Galaxy, its four solar systems, 50+ zones, and over 100 runs, is the answer.

Plus there’s also new baddies to watch out for. Like that giant terrifying octopus thing at the end of the trailer up there. “If you thought pirates were the worst of it,” says Mann. “You ain’t seen nothing yet.” Quite.

From this site

1. icecoldbud says:

Looks cool going on my pick it up list. Should keep me busy while waiting for stellaris to be patched, updated and fixed with more content and No Mans Sky to be released if not delayed.

2. Nosada says:

Tower Defense games need to be all about planning and strategy for me to truly enjoy them. Realigning turrets after every wave of enemies != strategy. Maybe I’m just too old to enjoy anything that assumes I still have reflexes.

• LW says:

In the first game, at least, the waves were all static, so you could plan out ahead. Still a lot of twitch, though, activating all the special abilities.

3. jonfitt says:

Is this a video game interpretation of Galaxy Trucker?

• rmsgrey says:

Kinda, sorta maybe? The basic idea – put guns where they can shoot incoming space rocks and other threats; shields where they protect useful stuff; power where it powers stuff; and enough backwards-facing engines to be fast enough to get through – is pretty similar, as is the idea of building your ship under time-pressure, but it’s more like someone overheard someone else talking about Galaxy Trucker and went away to make a game based on that than like someone actually played the board-game and decided they wanted to make a video-game version.

The basic moment-to-moment gameplay loop of Space Run is more Tower Defence than anything else – destroy passing/threatening whatevers that drop resources that you collect and then spend to build more/better guns and/or support structures to destroy more whatevers to collect more dropped resources to afford more firepower until either enough threatening whatevers get through to knock bits off your ship and you go into a downward spiral, or you run out of whatevers to destroy and complete the level. You start each level with a prescribed (hex-grid) ship base, with a fixed piloting cabin, a supply of cargo modules you’re required to place on your ship (and deliver intact to the far end), and an engine module. Everything else gets added in-flight.

Each flight also has a time limit (which you can usually meet with just your default engine) and two bonus target times (which you will need to build additional engines to meet) – fast delivery, and delivery of the full cargo gets you reputation which unlocks more levels. You also get a cash reward which you can spend to unlock and upgrade ship modules for purchase during flight – better guns, more powerful engines, that sort of thing. The upgrades include various activatable powers, which can help keep you busy during flight, as well as passive bonuses…

There’s a range of cargo types – like luxury passengers who require valuable (and vulnerable) spaces around the edges of your ship, or alien artifacts that mess with your systems in various annoying ways, or AI nodes that have to be wired together during flight – so it has just about enough variety to have been worth sticking with long enough to 100%, though when I try going back to it, it doesn’t hold my interest for long.

4. shadowmarth says:

The first game was really solid. When people started selling tower defense games, I was IRATE. Mostly because I’d been playing them in flash and in Starcraft and Warcraft mod maps for ages, and the first ones to be sold that people were fairly fawning over were dead simple garbage compared to plenty of the older, free ones (looking at you, Defense Grid). Space Run however is a very cool one. You have room for multiple strategies, it requires planning and intense micromanagement and quick-thinking, and it’s very puzzle-ey. Not the strictest interpretation of tower defense, but all the best ones do things to really fuck with it. I go back to it now and then trying to hack away at 100%ing it. I’ve got like two missions I havevn’t 5 starred.

5. Niente says:

Defense Grid is “dead simple garbage”?

Wow…