Collect ‘Em All: The Witcher 3 Adding Gwent Card Finder

Yes, yes the Blood & Wine expansion sounds great, but here’s the really exciting thing coming to The Witcher 3 [official site] next week: a magical book which tells Geralt where to find every Gwent card. A treasure worth more than any gem! Oh, yeah, and I guess patch 1.20 will improve the interface and add an option to enable difficulty upscaling if folks want a tougher time but LOOK magical Gwent book is what matters.

The patch isn’t out yet, but I wanted to be the one to break the good news and I’m on holiday next week so! Developers CD Projekt RED today dropped a wee forum post with a link to the patch notes in PDF format. Here’s the magical one:

“Adds book titled ‘A Miraculous Guide to Gwent’ which displays number of gwent cards missing from player’s base-game collection and information on where to find them, thus facilitating completion of achievement titled Collect ‘Em All. Tome in question can be obtained either from gwent playing scholar in Prologue or from merchant near St. Gregory’s Bridge in Gildorf district of Novigrad.”

For the longest time, I was methodical in my approach. Every time I entered a new town, I’d visit every merchant to check for Gwent cards and seek out opponents. Then I took a break for a few days. By the time I returned, I’d forgotten where I’d looked and then mistakes spiralled outwards and I don’t know, I just don’t know any more. Finally, this shall save me.

Oh, and I suppose you can expect welcome changes like this:

“Adds option in Options/Gameplay to enable enemy level upscaling. If foes are too easy to defeat due to level difference, upscaling will render them a challenge. Change will not affect experience point gain, loot, or quest rewards. Option can be enabled or disabled at any time, even during combat (however, Vitality/Essence of foes is then fully restored).”

“Improves Inventory whereby items are divided into additional subcategories within their grids: weapons and armor; oils, potions and bombs; quest items and others; food and equestrian gear; crafting and alchemy. Additionally, introduces redesign of tooltips enabling their resizing with single button. Also, item comparison is easier than ever given addition of summary of changes in stats.”

A saucy one:

“Fixes issue whereby Geralt’s clothing was not properly restored after sex scenes.”

Also an end to bookhell:

“Adds new functionality to books and scrolls. When first collected, they can be read immediately using single button without need of navigating to Inventory panel. All found but not yet read books and scrolls are stored in Quest Items and Other categories. Once read, books and scrolls can be sold as their content is saved in Books section of Glossary.”

Good things, those. These will be applied to all of The Witcher 3, including the first expansion – it’s not just for Blood and Wine. Those changes are only a fraction of what’s coming in patch 1.20, so get stuck into the notes yourself for the rest. The patch will arrive “just before Blood and Wine”, CD Projekt say on Facebook.

Blood and Wine adds a new Gwent deck too, you know.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Palladian says:

I really hope CDPR are building towards a full Gwent game in the style of Scrolls or Hearthstone. I really adore Gwent, but I found the combat in TW3 very stiff and the story meandering, so I didn’t finish the game.

If everything had been Gwent, though, or better yet I’d been able to play multiplayer Gwent, I would’ve continued for sure.

• Palladian says:

Oh, and I haven’t seen this mentioned elsewhere, but on the subject of things that made me stop playing TW3: did anyone else have issues just moving around in this game? Every time I tried to just approach an NPC to talk to them I’d bump into them, and when I wanted to pick up something I’d almost always overshoot my destination. It seems an odd problem to have when so many games have solved movement so comprehensively, and I haven’t seen it mentioned elsewhere, so perhaps I’ve just got a setting wrong.

DrollRemark says:

Yes, this is very much what I’ve found too. The movement isn’t very analogue, it’s either walk at one speed, or sprint at completely another. Careful movement is really fiddly.

• Kohlrabi says:

Movement is not making use of analogue sticks people with gaamepads got used to in third-person games. That’s also one of the smaller gripes I have with this game and I’d love to see fixed eventually.

• renner says:

I got used to the movement pretty quickly, but they did introduce an alternate movement option in the settings–a little more responsive, and a tighter turning radius–that you might find more comfortable.

Vandelay says:

I do wonder if I am missing something with Gwent. Don’t get me wrong, I find it a fun diversion and certainly more appealing than the dice game in previous Witchers, but I couldn’t imagine it being able to sustain my interest for very long if it were a standalone product. The game and strategies you can employ are all fairly simple, even compared to something like Hearthstone, which is itself a very simplified version of Magic.

Bear in mind that I am not particular far in The Witcher (just polishing off a few side quests and contracts that are at my level in Velen, before properly exploring Novigrad,) and maybe extra cards I haven’t seen will add some more interesting strategies (monster side looks kind of cool,) but I don’t see what much more they can do to make it appeal to me as much as it seems to other people.

It is clear they have put far more effort into it than any other RPG mini-game around and it is something to applaud, but I couldn’t imagine wanting to get a standalone version or a physical version of it to play.

• Slazer says:

I feel the same, the tactics you can apply are very limited and there is a very strong dependency on pulling the right cars.
        I think there is a lot of hype behind it, maybe coming frompeople who usually don’t play card games

• Akrahun says:

I figured this earlier Rock Paper Shotgun article might interest you: link to . It mods all combat to turn it into Gwent Matches.

• Palladian says:

Hah, that’s hilarious. Unfortunately it looks like the creator hasn’t updated the mod since, and I’m skeptical about how fun facing randomly generated decks would be. I’ll give it a try though, thanks for the link!

2. Horg says:

And we all thought that was Geralt’s intentional ‘stride of pride’ stance. Walking out the door in his pants, making bold eye contact with passers by as if to say ”You all know what I was doing in there. Sexing ¬ ¬”.

• DeadCanDance says:

Ha ha ha…
      On another topic, whatever will we do without Alice…

DrollRemark says:

I’ve only just starter the game, after getting it in the 50% sale, and I’m really enjoying it, but am also utterly rubbish at Gwent. I don’t really get what I’m supposed to be doing.

I’m slightly wary of looking anything up though. I have a habit with complicated RPG/strategy games where I end up checking bits of information on GameFAQs, and before I know it I’m following someone else’s ideal build/run/style, instead of developing my own, and enjoying the exploration. I know it’s only the card mini-game, but I don’t want to even tempt myself to start.

• Sivart13 says:

It’s really all about what cards you have, which makes the first couple of wins pretty aggravating. There’s a certain amount of skill to it, but until you start getting a good collection of spies or special cards you’ll find it hard to pick a winning strategy.

The card strength of the Gwent players is roughly ordered by the story order of the areas you encounter them in, except for the asshole in Vizima who exists to make you think Gwent is impossible.

Basically you have to beat everyone you can, easiest opponents first, and eventually you’ll have a set of cards that can dominate all but the most cheatery opponents.

4. jj2112 says:

Well the difficulty upscaling is nice, I beat the game on NG+ Death March after rushing only through the main story on the first run and without collecting any gear. The game is difficult as hell initially (it took me 20 min to beat the griffin) but eventually it becomes too easy.

5. Freud says:

My save game got lost in a tragic hard drive crash. I’m not sure I have the energy to replay the game, despite me loving it. But I guess I have to if I want to play the expansions.

Gang of one says:

Same happened to me, but I did start again… Christ it’s a big game but a good-un. But, for HoS and I assume CDPR will for the upcomming expansion, you can start a new game with a level 30(?) character and stroll/pirouette straight into the new content.

• Rumpelstiltskin says:

Don’t you have steam cloud saves?

• Atomica says:

There’s likely saves knocking around at NexusMods. I’ve used it in the past for The Witcher 2 when I wanted to explore Iorveth’s path after I completed with Roche.

6. k47 says:

Oh god, thank you so so much. Level scaling is one of the things I look forward the most. The gameplay stops being fun when I just cut down in a couple of strikes legendary creatures that everyone is afraid of, just because I outlevel it. And then I find a drowner that outlevels me and that can single-handedly beat me and all the griffins I’ve fought before. (I’m exaggerating a bit, no need to point it out)

There’s also a lot of hate for level scaling out there, with always someone bringing up the example of the bandits in full elven armor from Oblivion (which is valid, though dated and just an example of it done badly), so I’m also glad they are bringing it just as an option here.

7. kud13 says:

Ooh, inventory changes. Good.

Now, are they gonna re-shuffle the economy again? HoS made it virtually impossible to get good money for things like dragon scales. And considering I spent a ton of cash unlocking the useless Rune-smith, I was really not impressed when I could no longer sell all of my 25 trophy swords to a single merchant.

8. Harvey says:

Yes, please! I hope the inventory fix includes changes to the decotion and oil icons, as I’ve built a potion-heavy Geralt…. and they all look THE SAME. Quite tedius to sort through all the same-y icons looking for that one that’ll suit the particular battle. The changes to the bomb icons are a nice start, and give me hope.

• Samuel Erikson says:

“I hope the inventory fix includes changes to the decotion and oil icons, as I’ve built a potion-heavy Geralt…. and they all look THE SAME.”

Looks like you’re in luck. From the second page of the patch notes:

“Changes icons for decoctions, rendering them recognizable at first glance.

Changes icons for oils, rendering them recognizable at first glance.”

Ninja Dodo says:

Oh neat, I see in the PDF they added my suggestion of optionally disabling automatic weapon equipping. You never know if you were only one of many suggesting the same thing, but cool that they added it. Always found it weird Geralt would unsheathe his sword even while running past enemies at high speed with no intention to engage, or before being provoked like any time bandits show up. You’d think he wouldn’t draw his sword until he’s definitely sure someone is hostile. Other improvements sound good too. Potion icons were definitely always a bit confusing. Not a fan of level-scaling but hey: it’s optional.

10. Deakul says:

Sounds like they didn’t make the game any less overrated and terrible.

I can only do generic dwarves and elves and apocalypses so many times. And all of the characters are two dimensional boring walking tropes with horrendous animations.

The world is lifeless and bland, just another european country-side with boring architecture and sparsely populated with robotic npcs that seem to have no real life in the game aside from standing in one place thwacking the ground with a rake or moving from point a to point b until a clock tells them to go inside(maybe).

And the combat is the worst I’ve ever experienced in a game, there’s no skill to it it’s so easy to exploit and you overlevel everything in no time. The game is horribly balanced.

Easily the most overrated game in recent memory, this turd doesn’t deserve the recognition it gets.

• SableKeech says:

• Politik says:

The combat is the worst. Not just not good, but THE WORST ever. Not played too many games then?

• Buggery says:

I too, don’t like thing.

• Coming Second says:

I agree that they should have used this patch to completely rework the game from the ground up into something you, personally, want to see. Yet more wasted potential as a result of lazy developers.