Rhythm Game Neon Drive Is All The ’80s You Can Take

Super Hexagon and Audiosurf walk into a bar. Except they realize the bar is a disco, and it’s having a Tron-themed party. Only neons light up the room. They’re playing Europe, obnoxiously loud, and the best dancer will win an actual DeLorean. So they dance like they come from out of this world, and leave the real one far behind.

That’s about the kind of scenario that could give birth to Neon Drive [official site] a tough-as-nails rhythm game in which you need to use your car (or plane) to avoid obstacles. The devs are even handing out Certificates of Superhuman Abilities to whoever manages to collect all the achievements.

There are several modes, and though they all amount to the same thing – avoid obstacles in sync with the music – they’re different enough to challenge your spatial awareness in distinct ways. There’s standard Audiosurf-perspective dodging, there’s an actual top-down shmup, that scene from The Fifth Element, and one in which you run from evil neon rays. There’s a Transformers-themed side-scroller, 2D Grand Theft Auto, and finally Super Hexagon with a plane.

This one.

Steam reviews are actually quite positive overall, mostly praising the difficulty of the challenge and going “kids, these days” like an ’80s person should. They’re also praising the soundtrack, because there’s just no cure for some fevers. You can test if you are susceptible to the same virus on SoundCloud.

Neon Drive came out on May 12th, and 2 weeks later a patch addressed some big complaints, including fixing synchronisation of sound and vision – an awfully important feature for any kind of rhythm game.

If you want to brush off your curls and leather trousers and compete for a Certificate of Superhuman Abilities, Neon Drive will set you back £6.99/€9.99 on Steam for Windows and Mac.

You can also watch a trailer for future flying cars, for free.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. GWOP says:

Drift Stage, Power Drive 2000, Neon Drive, OutDrive… what am I missing?

2. BlitzThose says:

Can you add your own music to the levels like you can audiosurf, this game + the Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon OST would be purrfect.

3. Kefren says:

It looks and sounds absolutely amazing. I’d hate the gameplay though. What I’d give for a game that combined this aesthetic with the PC Blade Runner game’s world and Hotline Miami, with freedom to live as a character for a while.

yhancik says:

5. LionsPhil says:

Well, this looks cynically “all those retro 80s things that are so in-vogue right now”-styled.

Since Safety Dance is linked up there, properly weird ’80s revival when?

6. Urthman says:

I was all ready to be super disappointed but then I realized this isn’t Power Drive 2000, the neon 80s driving game I’m actually waiting for.

link to steamcommunity.com

7. wonkavision says:

This game clearly puts the “awesome” in incredible. All I want to know is, can I use my own soundtrack?

8. fish99 says:

Wish it was a racing game, with that aesthetic and music, and ridge racer-style powerslides.

9. Spacewalk says:

This ain’t my eighties.

10. Monggerel says:

For some reason “Modern Love” feels more 80s to me (wasn’t alive then, mind) than the synthwave copypastas I hear floating around these days.

“There’s no sign of life
    It’s just the power to charm” indeed.

11. thelastpointer says:

I love this recent 80’s craze, but these games seem very simplistic and boring, I feel like this great aesthetic is wasted as a selling point. I want a new Blood Dragon!

12. Turkey says:

Turned it off in disgust at the Blade Runner homage. #2cynical2function

13. Tannhauser says:

I tried this and I’d recommend just watching videos of the levels in action rather than actually playing it.

I bought the game on the aesthetic, but it is one of those masochistically hard games that demand far more than is justified. I guess I was looking more for a game like Rez.

alison says:

Cheers for the comment, this is just as I feared. I made the same mistake with Tross, which is terrifically beautiful but so difficult I wanted to cry. Maybe this 80s revival thing will eventually inspire walking sim developers to build nostalgic spaces for those of us who are now too decrepit for twitch games.

14. Buggery says:

Somehow watching that video made me motion sick. I have never before got the motion sickness from a video game. I expect it is the wobble camera. This makes me sad.

15. iambecomex says: