Countdown Delayed: No Man’s Sky Delayed Into August

I don’t know where or how he heard it, but Ian Video Games was right: No Man’s Sky [official site] has been delayed. The space sandbox had been lined up to blast off on June 21st, but developers Hello Games last night confirmed that it won’t make that. So they can polish it up proper nice, they’ve delayed it into August.

Hello Games head honch Sean Murray confirmed the delay in a post on the PlayStation blog (they’re getting it at the same time as us, yeah?). He explained that “we realized that some key moments needed extra polish to bring them up to our standards”, so they delayed it “to allow us to deliver something special.” Which, yeah, sure, I’ll wait two months to play a better game. He continued:

“We understand that this news is disappointing. Making this game is the hardest thing I’ve ever done in my life, but we are so close now, and we’re prepared to make the tough choices to get it right.

“The universe of No Man’s Sky is incredibly vast. More than you can imagine. This is a type of game that hasn’t been attempted before, by a smaller team than anyone would expect, under an intense amount of expectation.

“And despite all of that, development is genuinely going well. This is the hardest working, most talented team I’ve ever worked with, and I’m so proud of what we’re doing. For all our sakes though, we get one shot to make this game and we can’t mess it up.”

The new release date – on PlayStation, anyway – is August 9th in North America, the 10th in Europe, and the 12th in the UK. Dunno yet if all that monkey business will be the same for PC, but the PC release date has walked hand-in-hand with PS4 so far.

[Disclosure: I used to be pally with someone at Hello Games.]

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. jaward1 says:

Oh please please please don’t be the next Peter Molyneux Sean Murray!!!!

• gorgonaut says:

I imagine Sean reading your comment. His eyes are tearing up. His breathing heavy, brow sweaty, Sean questions the very fabric of his being.
      -“Is this what I’m becoming?”
      Sean’s mind fills with resolve, a burning passion of truth and discipline. He prays to the Emperor, and vows never to become the heretic, the likes of which against you’re warning.
      You just might have saved Sean’s soul.

• gimboid says:

Hah, well said.

I mean, what a terrible insult upon Sean’s character!

• gorgonaut says:

I’d certainly get the heebee jeebies if someone compared me to Molyneux!
          But to be honest- I’ve been following the NMS subreddit for a month or two. There seems to be a weird..deification of this guy Sean, over there. Someone even (somewhat unironically?) made a Jesus picture with his face on it. It’s weird how the bile has risen there. I..withold judgement, as it’s really not my place, but I’ve found it fascinating and somewhat tiring to just observe that place.

• April March says:

Eh, it’s videogames. There’s a picture of Gaben as Jesus spreading around Steam sale discounts and no one bats an eye.

• Workster says:

Warhammer reference?

Captain Narol says:

Just take your time and do it good.

I can see myself playing this game for many years if it delivers, so a few additional months of waiting is nothing, really.

3. Dimosa says:

Better delay a game and have a stable and good release then release early and try to fix it later. Glad someone at sony realises this.

• fish99 says:

Yup, better late than buggy.

• CloneWarrior85 says:

You really think 1 month delay will fix anything?

The game will come out buggy and with features missing.

People will love it.
      People will hate it.

Doesn’t really matter, but for me, it just seems they tried to cheese off some thousand bucks from pre-orders, not only too see how well it might sell, but also to grab some early bucks.

4. Sp4rkR4t says:

Still with an extra 3 days for the UK release is a continuing cockpunch.

5. MeestaNob says:

Probably taking the extra time to put an actual game in.

So far whats been shown has just been a collection of basic systems held together by RNG.

• OmNomNom says:

• SigmaCAT says:

I’m really, really afraid they’re going to pull an E:D…

• Iamblichos says:

This is my fear as well. E:D is huge and procedural and you are mostly alone as well… and it’s fun right up until you realize that learning to play the game is the whole game. Once you’ve got that down, you’re done.

• Unsheep says:

I think you had misguided expectations of what kind of game E:D would be. Which is not surprising considering how little our media channels understood of the game. All they looked at was the graphics, how pretty the game was. A common practice when they “cover” games that are high niche, like simulators.

The same thing happened with Project Cars. The media focused all it’s attention on the graphics and visuals, since they had little clue as to what racing sims are all about. They covered virtually nothing about the physics, content and gameplay in comparison. It was mainly about how pretty the game looked.

Just as with Project Cars a lot of non-sim gamers bought into E:D expecting it to make them enjoy a simulator game for once, since it looks so damn pretty.

After hearing sim gamers like Scott Manley and Squirrel give their pre-launch opinions of E:D, I expected something similar to the X games or even ‘Euro Truck in space’, and that’s exactly what I got.

AutonomyLost says:

This is a great point.

• FriendlyFire says:

Eh, even then, the X games might lack the giant universe and have shit combat, but there’s still an order of magnitude more stuff to do in them. ED’s the game about being one of the NPCs you hire in X3.

• Luciferous says:

I’m glad someone else gets it. All you can say to people who think it isn’t a proper game because there are no absolute objectives is that the game probably isn’t for them if that is what they need for a game to be valid.

Aitrus says:

I really wish gamers would use less acronyms so people who don’t know every game by memory would be able to tell what people are talking about. Especially if you’re the first person to mention the game in a thread. Can we do this? Pleeease?

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

This. Sometimes every third word in a comment is an acronym with several meanings and I feel like I’m missing the secret decoder ring. Not a problem if it was mentioned earlier or if it’s topical to the article.

• TWChristine says:

Around the time the Modern Warfare games were big, and everyone was referring to them as MW2 and MW3, I was having a hell of a time trying to figure out what MechWarrior 2&3 had to do with the rest of what the person was saying.

• April March says:

The weird thing is, I’d like a game that was just a collection of systems held together by RNG (see: anything Strangethink has ever done) but if No Man’s Sky came out and was that I’d be disappointed, because I’ve been promised more.

Well, I’d be disappointed for a while, then remember it essentially would be a mega-Strangethink game and then buy it and play it and be *____* . But some people would be legitimately disappointed and I’d give them reason.

6. Kvart says:

I truly hope this game will be as amazing as they claim, but I most admit that I’m not convinced before I see anything.
    I feel like the argument for this game is always “wooow soo much space, infinite planets!” but much content doesn’t in any way mean quality content. I’m afraid it would get boring really quickly and that once you’ve seen a couple of planets you actually feel like you have seen them all.
    I have my fingers crossed and hope to be surprised.

• Titler says:

Sadly it’s a natural follow up to the Modern Art, Lost/Prometheus, Kick starter mindset; Don’t actually create content you can define and defend, just make something generic and bland but open to interpretation, or open ended and always incomplete, say “I’m experimenting in imagination” or “I’m asking questions!” and wait for those far too emotionally or financially invested to come along and tell YOU why you’re a genius. And of course you are, because in the blank spaces of what you produce, what they fill in with their own imaginations matches exactly what they hoped and imagined it would be! Or it made me think, and that’s the real art!

It’s basically taking advantage of the tendency of the audience to naval gaze, rather than giving them something new or true art.

For example, Elite Dangerous this Thursday launched it’s Engineers expansion. One of my friends has spent double figure hours already locating the engineers; but all it is is yet another grind disguised as content. An essential one maybe, as they’ve boosted the NPC’s strength to basically wreck the players, and slow down even further the only prior content, insane reputation grinds. So now there’s a material grind to get for the engineer reputation grind to upgrade your weapons to cope with the AI and allow you to… what? Not do anything new, just get back your own ability to progress on content you’ve already done a million times. Just a few pictures on the bulletin board, a change in behind the scenes values and loot tables, but because it’s a new target to aim at, and imagine how much your life will change when you can apply +1 to your weapons, people seem to love it.

I don’t want to argue with them, or tell them they can’t (or don’t really) love it. But I’ve been having fun in an entire new game instead. If and when No Mans Sky launches, it’s possible I’ll enjoy the first few hours there too. But as you say, what’s the point of a massive, too massive for one person to map entirely galaxy, when it’s all functionally and experientially the same?

Just because I can imagine what might be on the next planet isn’t enough. I don’t need to be patted on the back for my imagination; I want to see what you did with yours. Show me something new, that I couldn’t imagine. Expand my perspective with the talents of yours.

7. melnificent says:

What’s with the arbritrary delay between Europe and the UK? #NoOceans link to

8. JFS says:

I don’t believe it’s going to deliver. This kind of game never does, despite keeping everyone on their toes. Unfortunately :(

9. draglikepull says:

It turns out that it is called No Man’s Sky because that is the number of men who will ever be able to fly in it.

10. PancakeWizard says:

Obligatory ‘despite videos that are days long and detailed narration on the game I’m still going to comment that I have no idea what you do in this game’ comment.

• KillahMate says:

Exactly this. I’m especially peeved by people who blame the game for their own inability to Just Freaking Google It:

link to

Finding this page would have taken them less time than it did to type up their stupidly whiny comment. These people are literally too lazy to use Google. How on Earth did they manage to turn on their computer?

11. Koozer says:

I really want to like No Man’s Sky, but it just seems to be lacking in ambition. I’m not interested in a universe that consists of ‘like Earth, but hot and a funny colour’ planets. Where are the planets with thick sulphurous clouds and permanent lightning storms, where are the frozen lakes of methane, where are the little volcanic moons being pulled about by tidal forces? Where are the binary star systems, or the odd orbits or axes of rotation that cause funky day/night cycles? Are there even bodies without atmospheres? This is from our Solar System alone, never mind the things that could be possible elsewhere, where the dev’s artistic licence could run riot.

• Koozer says:

(erg our Solar System isn’t binary, ignore that bit)

• Luciferous says:

So there are planets so toxic you can’t survive on them without specialised suit mods, we’ve seen one icy world so far, we know the planets orbit and so have day night cycles, we just don’t know how far they vary… The worlds get stranger the deeper you go and they’ve only shown a handful so far.

With 18 Quintillion planets, all of which have been generated without a true guiding hand mean that we could end up with some truly bizarre places.

Or they could all be dull.

Saying it lacks in ambition is… either daft or very narrow minded and I’m not sure which.

• Koozer says:

Thanks for the closing insult there, that always helps promote civil discussion on the internet. I’m going off what I’ve seen so far in previews. If worlds do indeed get more interesting the closer to the centre they are I would quite like to see some of those before I consider spending any money on this.

• Baines says:

Just being able to generate 18 quintillion planets doesn’t automatically guarantee such variety. Human hands still create and tweak the generation formula and the engine that runs everything.

If the generation and the engine doesn’t allow for the possibility of frozen lakes of methane, permanent lightning storms, or volcanic moons pulled about by tidal forces, then the game isn’t going to have those things (barring bugs).

• Jediben says:

If Twitter has taught us anything, it’s that volume does not mean quality.

12. andu says:

Take your time is what the motto should be for PC games. Keep working but don’t rush out a product like Battlefront 2 or countless other AAA releases these days that come with half the content and try to sell you the rest as DLC. You only get one chance at a first impression and people will tear this game to shreds if it comes out half assed.

13. LennyLeonardo says:

Oh God, I’m on my honeymoon on the 19th! Will the nightmare never end?!!?!1!3?

• LennyLeonardo says:

Oh wait, I read that wrong. It’s out in the UK on 12th, the day before the wedding. That’s fine.

• Jediben says:

Still time for her to add a ‘No NMS’ clause to the pre-nup.

14. Alberto says:

The pre-release hate equals the high expectations of others.

They’ve already madr clear a small team can put together a huge (if shallow, who knows) game. To me, this opens the path to procedural planet-wide race games, procedural giant robots, procedural rich fps arenas and in general a lot of genres that really could benefit from such a vast random scale.

Really hope they earn a trainwagon of money with this.

15. Jane Doe says:

Can someone explain the weird colors to me? It looks like their graphics card melted a little.

• fish99 says:

Looks up some Chris Foss pictures. That’s pretty much what they’re going for.

• Jane Doe says:

So its just an “art” thing?

Captain Narol says:

This graphic style is what hooked me from the very start, even if the final product end up being not much more than an “interstellar walking simulator” I will probably spend thousand hours in it anyway just for the beauty of the landscapes !

16. April March says:

Time waits for No Man.

17. racccoon says:

Very good I would rather have a good game launch for the PC so please just take your time…good one on the heads up! and keep going Hello games. :)
    On the other scale..Star Citizen is so badly managed and so badly stated, it got itself so lost in own theatrics & stage acting & money grabbing.. I’za(I know its not a word) so glad I got my money returned on that one! what a farce it was! as still is!..Star citizen has to be the most corporate fraudulancey(I know its not a word) game con on the market. & elite dangerous is just another shameful enterprise that has got caught up in the money grab! it has sold another part of the game as another franchise thing!…So bloody wrong! when they first begged for money it was all parts & no addon expenses where ever mentioned…shame on them too..

Go hello games GO!

18. The Paranoid Andriod says:

Steam still says 24th of June. What’s up with that?

Ben King says:

At first I was sad about this- I am SO looking forward to wandering around those colorful worlds taking snapshots of aliens and carving my name into planets with a laser blaster. Then I realized that this will give me the time to finally sink my teeth into MGS5 without feeling torn about my gaming priorities. I can hardly handle more than one title at once without slacking off on one or the other. My PC is no longer up to the challenge of these newfangled games so both will be on console, but don’t tell anyone… unless you want to join my L13 Destiny fire team to kill space aliens.

chabuhi says:

I hope my 2-year-old rig that was “high end” at the time will handle NMS. There are no new PCs in my near future :'(