Mafia 3 Trailer Showcases The Lovely New Bordeaux

The other day I sat down to clear out an old bills basket and realised The Godfather trilogy was on the telly. “I’ll stick it on in the background,” I naively thought to myself and, needless to say, I didn’t get as much done as I’d first planned. Until part 3. Because no matter how much I want to like it, it’s garbage compared to its forerunners.

Luckily, third-person crime fest Mafia 3 [official site] doesn’t appear to be suffering from the same tri-entry tedium if the latest trailer is anything to go by. Visiting its fictionalised slant on New Orleans, New Bordeaux’s alligator infested swamp area, industrialised docklands, and jazz-touting wharf district suggest number 3 is shaping up rather nicely. Look, see:

Taking a leaf out of Grand Theft Auto’s cartography book, New Bordeaux isn’t a mirror image of The Big Easy, but instead a well realised patchwork collection of its most recognisable landmarks – à la Liberty City and Los Santos. It’s made up of nine districts, each with two rivalling rackets, and will cover areas such as The Hollow, a poor community where Vietnam vet protagonist Lincoln Clay hails from; Frisco Fields, an affluent suburban area; and the French Quarter, the iconic bustling nightlife hotspot. All of this will be explorable from the off and you’ll even get to visit the Bayou. “The city is king for us,” explains executive producer Denby Grace.

Adam was suitably impressed with what he saw of Mafia 3 at Gamescom last year, and I must say I’m beginning to get quite excited now myself. If you feel the same, October 7 is a date you won’t wanna forgedabout. Because that’s when Mafia 3 is due for release. And I’ll stop telling rubbish jokes. Back to that bills basket.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. fearandloathing says:

Don’t you just want to hop into the time machine, go back to the shooting of third movie, incapacitate all the actors except Pacino and then go like “back to you Al, roll on, do your thing”.

• USER47 says:

Andy Garcia was great.:-P

Personally, I liked 3rd movie more than the second. Sofia Coppola was pretty terrible, but otherwise it was pretty good. Andy Garcia as a hot headed successor, smart, ruthless and very different from more cautious Al Pacino…it certainly wasn’t as forgettable as Godfather 2, I don’t even remember what that was about, except the part on the lake.

• paddymaxson says:

While I can agree with some of what you’re saying there. I don’t think anyone has ever said that 3 was better than 2 before.

• Shazbut says:

3 better than 2? I’m trying to understand your perspective here but am failing.

I sympathise though. I don’t like Radiohead. No-one understand that either

2. paddymaxson says:

The Mafia games have always been really cool (the first one has aged exceedingly poorly) but slightly disappointing, so hopefully third time’s the charm

• USER47 says:

Well, this is also made by completely different studio on different continent, from what I saw it doesn’t have that much in common with M1 and M2.

Mafias were always criticized for the lack of side activities in comparison with GTA and such. Imho it was their strength. The city was just a backdrop for a linear story based action game and it made the story seem better than it actually was. In most modern open city action games you do one story mission and then are motivated to spend 10 hours running around map icons and doing few types of copy/paste activities. Before you get to next story mission, you forget half the plot. Mafia didn’t have this and it made it unique. It’s a shame they are getting closer to GTA/Ubisoft design in the 3rd installment.

• Banjo-Tuesday says:

It wasn’t just a lack of side missions, it was also a lack of missions in Mafia 2. Unless that changed with DLC and a GotY edition, it was a gorgeous city with very little to do.

• April March says:

Eh, I think they did what they wanted to do. It was a linear story that took place in a sandbox, rather than a sandbox proper. Well, I liked it the way it was, but I’m weird and tend to play sandbox games like that anyway sooooooo

3. Zenicetus says:

I will buy this (unless the reviews are terrible), because I’m a sucker for interesting locations and I enjoyed Mafia 2 well enough. Not the best RPG/shooter, but the settings were great and I didn’t mind the city being mostly a backdrop. Never played the first one.

I just hope this new one doesn’t have too many car chase sequences with insta-fail timers. I don’t know why game designers think those are fun. Or maybe I’m just a terrible driver.

4. engion3 says:

I enjoyed the other two even though I don’t think I finished either of them. I’ll give this a fair shot.

5. Freud says:

I used to be a massive Illusion Softworks fanboy. Hidden & Dangerous was amazing.

I was so let down by Mafia II. Empty city, shallow cover based gameplay. Milking players with DLCs.

It was all that was wrong with current gaming foreshadowed.

I’d like to get excited about Mafia 3 but I just can’t. I know too much about current gaming. I fully expect a City of Icons.

6. haldolium says:

Doesn’t impress me the slightest. Seems the HUD just will be half a horrible abomination of 3D “help” icons littering the screen in some entirely unfitting clear style that is so disconnected from the game, you could easily just stream it on youtube in window mode on your phone and have the same immersion depth. Also Mafia 2 was just the worst.

7. Biggus_Dikkus says:

This is fugazi, Joey

8. cutechao999 says:

Most of the people on here have no idea what Mafia 2 was about.

9. CashewChicken says: