Payday 2 Drops Microtransactions, Payday 3 Confirmed

Last year, Overkill Games upset a pretty vocal corner of their Payday 2 [official site] community by introducing microtransactions to the co-op heist ’em up – something they’d previously promised to avoid. In an announcement made yesterday, Starbreeze – Overkill’s parent company – revealed they’ve now acquired full rights to the Payday franchise and as such will scrap paid-for in-game items via the next update. Oh, and Payday 3’s been confirmed.

A third series entry was probably inevitable, however the announcement also noted that Starbreeze will continue to support Payday 2 for at least the next 18 months. Exactly what that’ll entail remains to be seen, however the following trailer drops some heavy hints around the 3.45 mark:

Overkill are “freeing up the black market”, then, so says producer Almir Listo. Here’s what to expect for those of you who prefer the written word:

“Starting with the next update in Payday 2, any old-generation safes in the loot drop will stop to drop. Any new-generation safe, going forward, will drop completely for free. You will still be able to trade all the old and new generation safes and items using the Steam Marketplace. Your prices, supply and demand, will still continue to shape the Payday 2 marketplace.

“Any new generation safes that drop will be dropping completely for free, and will continue to have different rarities and qualities, depending on what kind of items you get. The only difference is, now you open them for free.

“As Chains so eloquently put it: ‘Fuck that broke-dick piece of shit drill’.”

As for Payday 3, we’ve nothing to go beyond the fact that it’s A Thing for now. More on what’s next for number 2, however, will be revealed at E3 next month.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Arexis says:

This could be great news. I am curious, though. Were the Payday rights acquired because the contract the developers were locked into to deliver content was unsustainable?
    I’m a little sketchy on details, but I remember some mention of micro-transactions being added because there were issues in delivering content?
    Please, enlighten me or correct me if I’m wrong.

• Kollega says:

Seconded. When Payday 2 introduced microtransactions (as well as wrecking weapon balance in the same update), I stopped playing on principle… and now, with this and the major rebalances that were in beta for a while, I may well resume playing on the same principle, since Overkill are actually listening to the community (at least to some degree) and removing a feature they received a massive backlash for. So this is actually pretty damn good news.

But I would really, and I mean really, like to know what circumstance has encouraged them to remove this feature, beyond “whoops, we drove away a lot of the dedicated players by shoving in microtransactions after specifically promising not to”. What did the acquisition of full rights to the game have to do with this?

• kinghorn says:

I think it’s a bit implied that the distributor wanted the microtransactions (the same one that Starbreeze bought all ips from), or at least Starbreeze/Overkill is trying to imply that was the case.

• kinghorn says:

I meant, “the same one that Starbreeze bought back all ips from”.

• USER47 says:

Yeah, it’s implied, but who knows. Maybe it’s just Overkill subtly trying to shift the blame on the Publisher.:)

On the other hand, the Publisher is 505 Games, they are known to be dicks going for quick bucks without much regard for future repercussions.

2. Skiv says:

Tried playing Payday 2 a earlier. Got kicked 3 times because i was a low level newbie.
    Fun memories.

• spacejumbo says:

When hosting a server you can specify minimum level, so don’t know why people wouldn’t just use that. Were you trying to join high difficulty levels?

Also, you could just start a level yourself and let others join that so wouldn’t get kicked.

• Skiv says:

Didnt join a high lvl. Will have to try doing just that. Thanks

• WhaleboneMcCoy says:

Often you will be kicked as people are waiting for friends to join, it’s probably not anything to do with you personally.

• USER47 says:

It may not have been because of the level (unless you were joining Death Wish lobby). People are kicking for all sorts of reasons. Sometimes they don’t like your character, sometimes they save spots for friends, sometimes they think your perk deck is bad or too OP, sometimes they think your weapons are bad or too OP and so on. I am infamy XV and still get kicked a lot. If you don’t want to host, you have to get used to it.

Also, some widely used anticheater modifications like NGBTO autokick players with private steam accounts, because they can’t verify their status.

3. The Sombrero Kid says:

• USER47 says:

Payday 3 was mentioned in the context of the Starbreeze-505 deal. Apparently, one of the conditions of buying the franchise rights from 505 is that 505 get 33% of future PD3 revenues.

4. aepervius says:

“Payday 2 Drops Microtransactions” too late : once burned…

I am not touching payday 3 with a 700 feet pole.

5. SaintAn says:

Too late. Not going to touch anything from them ever again. And only a weak minded fool would support any new game from these hacks after all they have done and will do again.

6. Moonracer says:

Like others have said; after 100 hours in and still enjoying the game, that bad weapon rebalance and microtransaction deal was a painful double blow. I have no desire to get back in the ring with this series.

7. Shizzle says:

Oh it’s that game that turned into a DLC simulator. Over 40 DLCs *facepalm*

• Deadly Sinner says:

And tons of free content updates. Without which, no one would still be playing the game.

8. Legion23 says:

Payday 2 had already enough problems before the microtransactions. No thanks.

9. Thirdrail says:

Ehn, I really liked Payday 2 when it launched, but they just destroyed the game outright with DLC and microtransactions. If there were some kind of shortage of fps games, I could maybe talked into giving the devs a second chance, but we’re talking about a genre so over saturated I can barely keep up on the best day. (Currently neglecting: Doom, Far Cry Primal and Star Wars Battlefront because of Overwatch.) I just have no further use for Overkill and their games, and I wish they’d go away.

10. mutanteggs says:

Pretty much the only good coop FPS on the market, one that gets consistent updates at least.

11. Viral Frog says:

I won’t touch another Payday game unless the rights are given to some third party that knows what the players want and will actually listen.