RPS Asks: What Was Your Favourite Game This Month?

We’re not even at the halfway point and 2016 is already one of the best years for PC gaming that I can remember. XCOM 2 and Darkest Dungeon already seem like distant memories, and this month alone we’ve had Kathy Rain, Stellaris, DOOM, Salt and Sanctuary, Overwatch and Total War: Warhammer. Today there’s another Hitman episode incoming and after the joy of Sapienza, I can’t wait to get stuck into Marrakesh. I’ve been starved of games for half of the month thanks to holidays and press trips so I’ve undoubtedly missed some splendid releases, so I put it to you, dear readers: what was May’s best game?

While I’d love to hear your thoughts on games actually released in May, I’m just as happy to read about that one Dwarf Fortress escapade that has been eating up all your time. Whether it’s an old favourite, a new discovery or an unexpected pleasure, which game has been the star of the last 31 days? For me, it’s DOOM. I’ve just wrapped up the campaign and all I want to do is start again on Nightmare difficulty, hunting for every secret that I missed the first time around.

Stellaris has been scratching my strategy itch but I’m planning to dig into Total War: Hammer this week, now that I’m planted back at my computer. I suspect Hitman might steal a few evenings though, and Salt and Sanctuary is very tempting.

But enough about me. How has May been for you?

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

Matchstick says:

I have to say that Uncharted 4 is by far the best game I’ve played this year but presuming that doesn’t count I’d have to go for Doom as well.

• Slazer says:

Got my hands on a cheap PS3 recently and decided to start with the first Uncharted.

I like it but the shooting seems tedious already after the first hours, reminding me of Mass Effect 3. Does it get better in later games?

• J. Cosmo Cohen says:

Not really, although the 2nd game is, overall, better. That’s my opinion, of course.

Ninja Dodo says:

Only played the second one, but basically it gets more varied, adding stealth and impressive set-pieces, but it’s hyper linear outside of combat bubbles. Uncharted 4 looks to be a little more dynamic and spectacular though still broadly linear.

• malkav11 says:

The shooting does get better in the sense that the enemies aren’t quite as bullet spongy and there’s more tactical/weapon variety but it’s never terribly exciting. If you didn’t like ME3’s combat, well, I doubt you’ll like the combat in Uncharted 2 or 3 either. For my money ME3’s combat was loads better than either and still not the draw of that game.

2. GameCat says:

For me it’s still Dark Souls.
    I think I will play it to the end of the world.

• Andrew says:

Was there any other games? I’m confused.

• GameCat says:

Of course silly. Demon’s Souls, Dark Souls 2, Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne.

• mouton says:

I am just playing it for the first time. It is good, but I will certainly do something else after I finish.

3. Great Cthulhu says:

I seem to keep coming back to EU4, with a side trek of Victoria 2. I’ve bought Total Warhammer though, on account of a friend’s excitement for the game, so I’ll probably play that one soonish.

4. Rich says:

Stellaris. It’s not quite what I imagined, but it’s still the most engaging game I’ve played this year.

• BobbyDylan says:

This. A bit disappointing, but I’ve really enjoyed it.

Tho, ATM I’m playing Pillars of Eternity.

• fachredaktion says:

Before I downloaded the 1.1 beta patch I became really frustrated with Stellaris. Now it’s engaging again, even though I feel a little like a beta tester.

• Rich says:

Agreed. Even with the 1.1 patch, it’s still riddled with bugs. None of them are game breaking (so far), but they’re sometimes quite annoying. My current gripe is the fact that infiltrated primitive civs. still get the “recently conquered” and “alien overlords” happiness penalty, even though they (mostly) volunteered to join my empire.

5. Luciferous says:

On PC… Dark Souls 3, but Uncharted 4 was beyond amazing.

6. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

It’s only been out one week of the month, but I’ve been playing it a hell of a lot during that week, so I’ve got to say Total Warhammer. Only problem is a lack of focus, the discovery of mods unlocking all factions (yes, even stuff like brettonia and mousillon) has meant I keep campaign-hopping.

• lordcooper says:

Same here, which was a very pleasant surprise. I fully expected it to be shit at launch.

• PhilBowles says:

After my first day with it when it was super-laggy (despite this being post-hotfix) it seems to perform very well for a TW game, and its interface is leagues ahead of anything the series has done before in terms of functionality (it’s one of the prettiest as well, but no Shogun 2 in that regard).

I’m enjoying it as well, particularly as Vampire Counts (Empire starting surrounded by humans is bad for bringing out the fantasy elements), despite the nagging annoyance of the departures from lore. Only … it’s remarkably shallow.

Not just the paper-thin strategic layer, but even the tactical battles you’d imagine being the core focus. Formations are gone, unit abilities rampant in titles where they don’t belong are nowhere to be found, and the small number of races – distinct as they may be – is going to severely limit replay value; as it is there are only six distinct rosters, and of these the Bretonnians and Empire feel basically identical.

The constraints on capturing territory are a very nice touch which helps retain natural-seeming borders, but they also result in no real incentive to go to war with non-target factions beyond having something to do. In my Empire playthrough the Dwarfs kept requesting I declare war on minor Bretonnian factions and I eventually did so just because I’d run out of nearby Orcs and Undead.

• Silent_Thunder says:

The improvement can, cnically enough, be put down to CA’s own internal culture. They assigned a brand new team to the Warhammer IP so they could keep the “old guard” on the historical bread and butter games, not to faff about with this silly fantasy stuff. Of course, it turns out that these new guys knew a hell of a lot more about making a good Total War game than the old guard did, seeing the various improvements, better QA, improved battle AI, and so on. I’d wager even some of the steps back such as simpler seiges were the new people going “ok sieges have always sorta never worked, how about we try something different”.

More worryingly/encouragingly depending on which side of the fence you’re on, since Warhammer is supposed to be a triology, it means that newer dev team will continue working on that IP instead of transferring personnel and new knowledge presumably.

So, while I’m immensely enjoying TW:W, I still will have the same sort of skepticism of the next historical game.

Ironically, we know all of this because CA themselves told everyone this upon TW:W’s announcement, because a lot of people were afraid going to fantasy would be the part that truly sent TW into a spiral after the problems of Rome and Attilla.

• PhilBowles says:

But … they didn’t make a good Total War game. They made a fun game with a Total War interface and Warhammer aesthetic that ends up feeling and playing like neither. Simplifying the strategy layer to focus on battles is one thing; but the battles are oversimplified, and not just sieges. Given its origins as a tabletop game Warhammer is mechanically very much about formations and movement – formation breadth and depth are important, minor changes of position with wheeling etc. matter, lapping round is a tactical edge. None of that’s mechanically necessary when you can point and click, and indeed it’s all gone. Even though past TW games had interface options for fine-tuning ranks (though the effects of depth vs. breadth in TW have always been somewhat opaque) and movement, none of that is available in this game.

Typical formation options like wedges don’t exist, and while that may be because thematically in Warhammer these are restricted to the Bretonnians, it leaves a gap. Undead don’t get a voluntary withdrawal option (no, they can’t break, but you’d imagine the necromancer could pull them back voluntarily). As nice as the vampires are to get a fantasy feel from the off, they have no tactical finesse without any ranged units, and I haven’t yet worked out how to stop vampire-on-vampire battles becoming anything but a giant zombie brawl whose victor in an even matchup is determined more or less at random, or failing that by whoever has the most heroes.

7. Monggerel says:

Fallout: New Vegas.
    I haven’t played it in like 3 years, mind you. I just remembered some fond memories.

• J. Cosmo Cohen says:

After genuinely disliking Fallout 4, and being very disappointed I didn’t like it, I feel the need to go back to New Vegas. I’ll have to finally try some mods after all these years, too.

• fearandloathing says:

We desperately need an in-depth article&guide&review on NV modding. I last checked the mods back in, I guess, 2014 to start another playthrough with DLCs, frankly I’m intimated to go through that again. UI mods, utilty mods, visual mods, gameplay mods, flavor mods, uncut mods, quest mods, mod mods, modmodpatches, bug mods, modmodmods all around – and you (I) just cannot play without mods. whole compatibility side just scares me off, and I’m something like semi-modder myself. better just run with JSawyer and e.v.e, and some texture packs game looks terrible now, oh better gun sounds, hm a bit more population to freeside?damn

• fearandloathing says:

Just to let you know, it seems Gopher, a youtuber that covered NV modding pretty well, will shortly return to NV, so probably he will also review the current state of NV modding. Also it seems there have been some backward linkages, as in some people have been working on importing F4 features into NV, which makes returning to NV all the more desirable. halelujah.

8. Kamestos says:

Incredibly even for me, World of Warcraft. Blizz gave me a free week and a level boost in anticipation for the next expansion, and the old magic worked again, against my better jugement.
    These new zones and features are very nice.

• Themadcow says:

I also did the free week thing and it didn’t grab me at all. Good job really as WoW addiction cost me my job, £30k in savings and almost my marriage 7 years ago.

9. J. Cosmo Cohen says:

Overwatch and NEWDOOM. I love both to pieces.

10. Beefenstein says:

I am playing Overwatch and am terrible at it. Here’s a list of people to play with if you need one: link to eurogamer.net

Dorga says:

I returned to beloved Geralt and also I continue playing Catacomb Kids wich you all should dwell in. Seroiusly, it’s worth the time and the money.
    Just yesterday I managed to throw a frozen enemy through a portal of my own device into a lava pit, while also burning to death because in doing all of the above I also knocked over a brazier.

12. Dinger says:

Duskers is the only thing I’ve had time to play this month. And I wish I had more time to play it.

13. MercurialJack says:

I’ve got to say Doom, by far. The original was my first introduction to PC gaming, and something I sunk hundreds of hours into, even going as far as building levels and .wad packs myself. Doom 2016 feels like the perfect evolution and combination of old Doom with new gaming mechanics and technical abilities. Who knew the addition of a jump button would make so much of a difference?

14. dethtoll says:

Doom and Duskers. Superficially similar thematically but they couldn’t be more different, or more entertaining.

• dethtoll says:

I’ve also been getting in touch with my Nazi-killing side with Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny, and while Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel has been fun I’m not sure I’ve the attention span to finish.

Lars Westergren says:

I’m going through the backlog and finishing up a few games before buying any new ones, especially since a Steam sale is likely coming in mid-June.

I played The Park. It was…ok, but lacking in the scare and emotions department. A few Dota 2 matches with friends. The compendium Quests makes for some infuriatingly incompetent team mates with weird builds.

I might get Stellaris, Total: Warhammer, Witcher3, Hitman, Dark Souls 3 or Doom when the sale starts. Depends on the discount level. And about a dozen Vive titles.

16. tehfish says:

I should be playing Fallout 4, or buying Stellaris. But i’ve found myself accidentally obsessed playing Rimworld instead.
    link to rockpapershotgun.com

The difficulty level is a little wonky in places (ie. a 30+ person pirate raid can be far easier to deal with than a 10unit bug infestation)

Currently running two colonies side by side for the differences, one in an arctic biome where i seriously struggle to feed everyone and the other in a rainforest, where my colonists seem to get repeatedly savaged by enraged Capybaras for some reason :)

DrollRemark says:

Oh good. I was going to say that since I’m not a games journalist, I haven’t actually played any games released this month.

Been playing that there Shadow Warrior, from the Ubi bundle offer. It’s great fun isn’t it? I haven’t completed Wolfenstein: TNO because I felt a bit bogged down in it, but I’m happily plowing through SW. I think it’s because the best bits come from trying to manage ever increasing hordes of enemies in the big battles. Constant movement is as important a part of an “old school” shooter as the guns are, for me, so it’s really nailing it.

DrollRemark says:

And yes, based on the reviews, Doom sounds like one to get too.

phuzz says:

I started off playing some Stellaris, but somehow I’ve gone back to Kerbal Space Program. I’m wondering if I’ll ever get bored of playing KSP.
    Oh, I also tried some Forza yesterday, but then I remembered that I’m rubbish at driving games so I stopped. It looked very pretty though.

19. Haplo says:

It’s Stellaris. It would have to be by default as I played nothing else.

But even if I had it’d still be my favourite. Stellaris is a great game; it’s very much close to the sort of space game I’ve wanted for awhile. The fact that I know that it’s just a foundation for what’ll eventually be a -brilliant- game is good too.

20. King in Winter says:

Also having been my only purchase this month, Stellaris.

The Almighty Moo says:

Can we shorten it to just Total: Hammer from now on please? The only reasonfor the two wars will be some nonsense about brand dilution from Sega and GW so it seems only fair to excise them both.

keefybabe says:

I would say Stellaris but, jealous of people playing Doom I downloaded Brutal Doom for the first time at the weekend and subsequently played the hell out of that.

23. Hensler says:

I really thought it would Stellaris, but it just feels too empty right now. I bought Stellaris, loved it at first, and that led me to buy Crusader Kings 2 + all the DLC. But while playing both, I realized the mid-game of Stellaris is kind of empty, and got pretty bored with it and started throwing all my gaming hours into Crusader Kings 2. I can’t wait to see Stellaris in 2+ years!

I also gave Pillars of Eternity another shot this month, with the 2 DLC patches and all the updates. It’s so much better than at launch, and has really engrossed me.

I think this month has really shown me that if I want the best possible version of modern games, you need to wait at least a year – at which point you can grab all the DLC and still pay less than it was at launch. With that in mind, I held off on purchasing Total Warhammer, the big title I was really looking forward to – I can’t wait to play it in 2017 :) .

• Neutrino says:

I’ve done something similar. Was really pumped about Stellaris but the release reviews have me holding off getting it until it’s a bit more patched. Bought CKII to scratch my strategy itch and really loving it, although I haven’t stumped up £130 for the DLC, waiting for a patch.

Bit burned out on CKII and CSGO for now so kicking back with the odd game of Brogue.

• Neutrino says:

That should be ‘waiting for a sale’.

My kingdom for an edit button!!

24. Derpkovsky says:

I’ve been playing The Witcher 2 this month to get ready to finally plunge into the depths of it’s sequel

25. Rince says:

I have been playing both A Little Lily Princess and Dragon Ball Xenoverse.
    Dragon Ball is fun, but the RNG grind to get some drops is pretty annoying.

So, my favorite game of May is A Little Lily Princess. Lots of feels, a really well told story, and Victorian Era yuri.
    I can’t ask for more.

• zacharai says:

I’m interested in A Little Lily Princess, just from Hanako’s pedigree, but it seems like a weirdly linear story with that odd weekly practice minigame. Does it have replay value? Are the feels good enough?

It’s in my Steam library, so I’ll get to it eventually. So far, May is Far Harbor and TW:W for me.

26. Armoderic says:

For me, both Stellaris and Total Warhammer have been great.

cpt_freakout says:

That’s been my May too!

Also, the new version of Warsword Conquest, the Warhammer Fantasy mod for Mount & Blade Warband, is out. I predict that will eat into most of my gaming time this June…

27. melnificent says:

I finally got round to checking my AMD card against their promo site and subsequently have been playing Hitman for the first time ever. All the while questioning why I never played this before.

28. paddymaxson says:

I’m a bit ashamed to admit I’ve gotten elbow deep into WoW…it all started when a friend suggested some crappy supposedly awesome Free to Play affair and it made me realise that nobody does WoW-like as well as WoW.

Honestly, I have to admit that Blizzard’s writing and quest design in Warlords of Draenor is way better than it used to be. I’m actually looking forward to Legion a lot – they need to tone down the everything obscuring green flame effects though.

29. RaunakS says:

Thanks to RPS’s wonderful recommendations, Neon Drive has been taking all my time this month. I’ve been obsessing over it!

30. lglethal says:

Rise of the Tomb Raider for me. Although I’m finding it hard to get the time to actually sit down and play it properly (its hard to get properly immersed when you’re only getting 30 minutes here and there). Still it’s a fantastic game…

31. JFS says:

XCOM 2 and Darkest Dungeons are well served as distant memories. Not bad, but not really “Game of the Year”, or at least I hope so!

32. Bobtree says:

Offworld Trading Company, followed closely by Overwatch.

33. PanFaceSpoonFeet says:

Hmm.. this quickly became, and preempted, the next “what are you playing this weekend”..

34. barelyhomosapien says:

Stellaris, definitely. It’s great and will only get better. Still coming across new events and quest chains after 60-70 hours of play!!

Closely followed by Overwatch, but I hate how salty it makes me at times.

35. derbefrier says:

Stellaris and Doom. been stitching back and forth. great games both of them.

36. Ufofighter says:

I’m really enjoying a dwarf campaign in a severely modded Total War: Warhammer, far more than I thought I would.

37. vahnn says:

Dark Souls 3. Oh, that was last month? Well it’s still Dark Souls 3. Souls pvp for hours and hours on end.

Currently doing an SL130 pyro (38/38) with some 16/18 str/dex so i can rock a Chaos Astora Greatsword. Damn, it’s fun. Fight someone 2h the whole time with heavy armor on, looking like a typical UGS quality build, then nail them with a Great Chaos Fire Orb as they try to run and heal.

38. BlackMageMario says:

Overwatch is fantastic and its the first game I’ve seen that’s been super hyped and hasn’t fallen flat on its face (probably because people could play it before they bought it – definitely showed it was worthy of the hype). Just a great game all round and if I wasn’t working I’d be spending a hell of a lot of time on it.

I was also playing Final Fantasy 9 this month and I need to get back to it (I suspect I’m near the end – I just need to equalise the levels of my characters in it). It’s also a great game, though obviously I’m talking about the recent PC port and not the original.

39. freedomispopular says:

Games I’ve played this month:
    Rocket League
    Darkest Dungeon
    American Truck Simulator
    Euro Truck Simulator 2
    Saints Row: The Third

Rocket League remains a daily fixture, providing a nice hour or so respite after a long day at work. Darkest Dungeon was finally at a sale price I was willing to pay, and it was every thing I hoped it would be, and I’d like to jump back in but the idea of doing so stresses me out. After a friend of mine on Google+ started posting about ETS2, I decided to finally check out ATS, and then reinstalled ETS2 as well, and I like to run one or two deliveries a day just for the relaxation it provides. I wanted some mindless action the other day so I reinstalled Saints Row, after having only played through the first 2 missions previously. Stellaris has seen by far the most play time, roughly 30 hours since it was released. I’m kinda torn…I really enjoy creating a new species and setting the galaxy parameters at random, and then just rolling with it to see what happens, and I really enjoy the early game, but once I hit midgame I kind of bounce off it and start a new game. But with the fast patches, mods, and future content, I’m sure it’ll be fleshed out a little better before too long.

• Cuchullain says:

Have to say I agree with you about Stellaris. The early game is a lot of fun but once you get into the mid game it loses a lot of appeal. I’m finding myself restarting with new empires a lot just to try out different things and once I get to the mid game I end up losing interest again. It’s mostly from the fact that all there is to do at that point is decide who you want to attack next most of the time, and attacking any AI empires at that point of the game is fairly boring as I am usually steamrolling them at that point.

I used to have the same issue with Total War games though, where you get to a point when you have about 25% of the map under your control and then everything is just a matter of stomping everyone that’s left one by one without much difficulty at all..

40. aliksy says:

So, uh, Crawl Stone Soup released v0.18, and there was a tournament. I played in the tournament, and got within the top 50 (out of 3000 or so). That was a lot of fun. Crawl’s my favorite classic roguelike. ( link to crawl.develz.org )

Also Dark Souls 3, and yet another attempt at pillars of eternity. I could write a book about the things PoE does wrong.

41. Moonracer says:

I’ve been enjoying Orion Prelude more than I thought I would. And just picked up Stardew Valley which is great.

• Cuchullain says:

Stardew Valley was a surprise for me for how much I played and enjoyed it. It’s a really solid game with some really nice additions to the genre

AutonomyLost says:

DOOM, unequivocally.

43. notcoffeetable says:

I haven’t bought any May games because I’m so stuck trying to pick one. Thus I’ve just continued playing Fire Emblem Fates.

I want to pick up Overwatch, I really liked the beta, but so far I can’t convince myself to. (The friends I game with feel too invested in Mechwarrior online, the other friends I could game with don’t really play Arena shooters).

44. Horg says:

Total: Warhammer® this month. Faction diversity is a strong point for this one, graphically and mechanically. The battle controls feel incredibly responsive, probably the best of any TW game so far. The AI isn’t perfect yet but it’s much better than it used to be about skirmishing, attacking flanks and cycle charging cavalry units. Negative points would mostly be focused on game balance. AI agents are too strong right now, there are a few units that are completely useless, the AI tends to build far too many ranged units, and the biggest problem is magic damage not scaling up with unit size settings (overpowered as hell on small, very under powered on ultra). Nothing game breaking but it needs a little more work.

45. yogibbear says:

I’m playing Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag for the first time. It’s really really awesome. Was kind of bummed out on the AC franchise after AC3 so ignored them all since then. But had snagged ACIV in a steam sale for nothing. About 30 hrs in and the destroy/board/loot/upgrade ship combat loot is REALLY engaging.

• Dr Biffo says:

I loved Blag Flag on the islands but hated the arcadish sailing mode. I mean, after classic sailing games years before like Akella’s Sea Dogs and Pirates of the Caribbean, it was a bit jarring to literally crash into other ships every 30 seconds as if the Caribbean was set in a bathtub. The scale was so wrong it was as if it was intentionally dumbed down for no other reason than to patronise the player as an idiot. Otherwise, the boarding and sea shanties were very nicely done, aye.

46. Carra says:

The 44 hours played yell “Stellaris”. Now, time to find another game :)

47. Freud says:

I’ve played only two games this month. Dark Souls 2: Sins of the First Scholar. As expected, better than the whinging on the internet made it sound.

Also, a lot of Heroes of the Storm, which is my staple game. Still brilliant after nearly 3000 games.

48. Frank says:

Soulcaster 1+2 finally arrived on Steam this month, and they’re great.

particlese says:

Devil Daggers and Elder Scrolls Online are still near-daily drivers for me, but the former has been my game of the month since it came out. I’ve never enjoyed a “hard game” this much for this long. Part of it’s that it gets out of my way and lets me improve, but I didn’t fall for Super Hexagon like this.

And that vaguely brings me to more recent games: Ori and the Blind Forest’s definitive edition is my first encounter with the game, and I’ve been loving it this month. Everything about it. And Devil Daggers seems to have built up my tolerance for frustratingly difficult but kind games, as I actually really enjoyed the first escape sequence I’ve heard so much about. It took me many tries, but I had great fun making incremental improvements, and finally escaping was glorious. When I call these games “kind”, I mean that they put you right back into the action and give you excellent control over it as soon as you’re ready, tough though they may be. Dark Souls is vaguely tempting now that I find myself enjoying hard games, but I get the impression I would find it far too tedious to tolerate. For my tedium fix, I’d rather walk at a walking pace around Tamriel. :)

Oh! And Job Simulator on the Vive is really neat, and I’ve been playing that this month. I think it has the overall best interactivity of any VR game I’ve played so far, and it even gives Valve’s The Lab a run for its money in terms of amusement, as far as I’m concerned.

But yeah: Devil Daggers.

50. PsychoWedge says:

I’ve been playing Final Fantasy 13 the last couple of days and I have to say I actually had quite a lot of fun. I think its total incoherence in almost all areas is what makes it rather entertaining. What an odd game…