GOG Connect: Add Steam Games To Your GOG Library

“You own the games, so why buy them more than once?” asks GOG Connect’s tagline, which totally seems fair enough. GOG Connect, you see, is a new initiative from the CD Projekt Red-owned distribution platform that allows users to add some DRM-free Steam games to their GOG libraries. Find out what it’s all about after the drop.

So, in order to connect your Steam library to your GOG one, you’ll need to sign into an active Steam account via the GOG Connect page. Doing so is a permanent, non-reversible process so be mindful of that if you flutter between more than one Steam account at any given time. Any previously purchased games that are eligible for the switch are detailed on the Connect page, and are said to be “limited-time offers made possible by participating developers and publishers.”

What that means, then, is that the duration of eligibility varies from game to game. And if the thought of restrictive time limits sounds like a bit of a pain, you might be happy to know once you’ve imported a game, it’s yours to keep thereafter – even if it’s no longer eligible for import. A handy wee designatory clock tacked onto each game’s thumbnail lets us know how long we’ve got to make the changeover.

A comprehensive Q&A can viewed over here, however the response to the following question is probably the most helpful: Do I get to use my Steam save files in their GOG.com versions?

“As a rule of thumb – yes. Save files are generally compatible across distribution platforms although there may be exceptions to the rule. Keep in mind that your Steam cloud saves will not be automatically transferred or backed up.

“Make sure that you choose to keep your save files if you’re uninstalling a game (or have a backup on hand) and you want to continue your progress with the GOG.com version of your game.”

Playing GOG versions of games with Steam friends “depends entirely on the game”, adds the Q&A, and for now cloud saves, achievement and friends lists are non-transferable.

At the moment, there are 21 games available via Connect including the likes of Braid, FTL: Advanced Edition, Mount & Blade, Project Zomboid, The Witness, To The Moon, and VVVVVV. Check out those and the rest over in this direction.

In other GOG-related news, they’re hosting a sale which is running from right now until June 6.

From this site

1. melnificent says:

Over 2k of games in a steam library causes timeouts and other connection issues.

• Andrew says:

2k? have less than 1k and it’s not working.

• Mags says:

566 and it hasn’t worked yet.

• Andrew says:

Pretty sure it’s a problem of the whole thing, nothing to do with amount of games I will never have time to play. Ahem.

• Slazer says:

380, not looking good

• Slazer says:

“We couldn’t reach the steam service right now”

Maybe it is just a high number of users trying to do this right now. They seems to push it fast as it appeared on top of my facebook updates, and probably did the same for many others

• Andrew says:

Well, it checkmarked two games I already own on GOG, but refuses to add six others that are on the list (“No eligible games found”). Mkay.

• Andrew says:

Finally, it worked! Now the question is, is there a way to add new games automatically? Or, at least, some way to receive notification of new games?

• tehfish says:

2k? Goodness me :)

I thought i had an extremely excessive steam library at 235 games, so that makes me feel better :D

2. alsoran says:

Not for me at the moment, I tend to get the games on GoG before Steam if they are there. The games on the list are ones that I particularly don’t want or play with on steam, the others I already have on GoG.
    I’m not happy about the perma link, I think the two should be separate, for now.

3. kud13 says:

I don’t think any of my games fall under this. I already re-bought a lot of them to be DRM-free: the Thiefs, the Deus Exes, the Legacies of Kain, Bloodlines, Darksiders 1 + 2, Saints Row 2, F.E.A.Rs, S.T.A.L.K.E.Rs and Metros, off the top of my head.

Will be nice if 2K ever brings their newer games to GoG. Or Zenimax with Dishonored or Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth.

I’d say I want the original UFO on GOG but the steam version already plays nice without Steam. So does Alpha Protocol.

Maybe the Arkham Games? That’d be nice to have Steam-less.

Oh, i’d love to have the 2nd Spellforce 2 expansion on GOG. The base game, Dragon Storm and 3rd expansion are all on GOG but “faith of Destiny only got a Steam Release”…

And Tron 2.0 if it’s on Steam, let it come to GOG.

Hmm, this could be a long list…

4. MrFinnishDude says:

Huh, I suppose this is like a symbiotic relationship.

• BlueTemplar says:

More of a “parasitic relationship” I’d say, as it’s one-way only.
      I wonder if GoG has warned Steam about this?
      Because they seem to have DDoS-ed Steam Web API…

5. mcwizardry says:

Seems to be having issues at the moment.

6. froz says:

Well, it was nice to read up until this point:

“At the moment, there are 21 games available via Connect”

With 21 games it’s just a joke.

To be honest, I believe it should be enforced by law that you can move your games between any online game stores as much as you like. So that Steam could actually be a little more motivated to improve the quality of its UI and customer service.

• Andrew says:

Well, publishers just gonna wiggle out of it by creating specific Steam/Origin/Uplay/GOG/whatever versions of their games, that totally different from others, you guys.

• BlueTemplar says:

They’ve already been doing this, for instance Stardock considers SteamWorks and GoG’s Galaxy as separate platforms (just like XBOX vs PlayStation), and doesn’t offer full Internet Protocol multiplayer in their recent strategy games, only platform-dependent, incompatible multiplayer :
        link to forums.ashesofthesingularity.com

• Buggery says:

I think they’re working with publishers to add more to the list. It ain’t perfect, but it’s a good start. Hopefully it will see more people moving to GOG (and other, non-Steam marketplaces) as well.

• BlueTemplar says:

Well, they do have to start somewhere…!
      Steam too at some point had less third-party games than other Digital Distributors…

• froz says:

Sure, of course you are right. It’s just that it’s not really news until they get much more games on the list. A system like this with 21 games (or anything around that order of magnitude) is practically the same as if it had 0 games.

We’ll see how it will improve. I do hope it will get much better with time.

• BlueTemplar says:

Ah, but wouldn’t you have complained if RPS did NOT cover GoG Connect on launch, and _only_ reported on it when it had reached an arbitrary number of eligible games?

7. Kefren says:

Great idea. About 6 games off the current list are in my Steam account and can be transferred – though they’re not currently recognised. I’ll follow it up when the frantic global pressing of F5 calms down a bit.

GOG keeps surprising me with things like this. I’m impressed. I also found out today that one of the online e-bookstores, OpenBooks link to openbooks.com, was actually set up by the GOG and Witcher game co-founder – link to openbooks.com
    Once I saw that I was less surprised that OpenBooks are DRM free, and let people pay what they want for books after reading them! Equally radical.

8. gbrading says:

This is awesome; I liked it when Origin allowed you to input CD keys of old EA games onto you might own on disc into the system, and this is great too. Alas as it’s such a limited number of games at the moment, that is going to hamper the initiative until they have a more robust offering.

9. thelastpointer says:

What is exactly the point of this…?

• kud13 says:

The point is for people who prefer their games DRM-free if possible but had to buy from Steam because they weren’t available DRM-free can now get them DRM-free w/o re-buying.

Granted, the current line-up isn’t too good for that (all of these games have been available on GOG for a while), but in case of some games that have not yet come to GOG, it has potential to become fairly useful.

• Kaeoschassis says:

To be honest in my case it’s “I would have preferred them on GOG, but they were cheaper on Steam at the time I happened to want to buy them”. Also, yknow, this specifically applies only to steam games that ARE drm-free.

• Llewyn says:

It does, but since it’s supposedly publisher/developer driven there’s no reason it need continue to be so. If a publisher who’s previously used Steamworks DRM wants to include their game in this programme I doubt GOG are going to object.

• Don Reba says:

As I understand it, all the games on offer are DRM-free in Steam, as well.

• Ksempac says:

I’m guessing it’s to help people transition out from Steam. If the “DRM-free” speech of GOG isn’t enough to pull you in and you’ve got hundreds of games on Steam and 0 on GOG (or very few), you’re more likely to keep buying on Steam rather than GOG.

Creating your GOG library out of your Steam library allow GOG to say “hey see, you’ve got that nice library, you don’t need Steam anymore”.

• BarneyL says:

GoG often run bundle deals where you only have to pay for the games you don’t yet own. There’s many a time where I would have bought one of these deals but the games I owned in the bundle were on Steam not GoG so it expected me to pay the full cost.

10. KillahMate says:

Wow. This is exactly the kind of thing everyone was hoping GoG would do at some point, but everyone knew could never happen. I’m very impressed they managed to pull this off.

Now, about adding some more titles to that list…

• Frank says:

Yeah, I’m surprised at how muted the response is in these comments. I’m really impressed and happy about this.

Now, GOG just needs to clean up its library management system.

11. Det. Bullock says:

I guess a lot of people are trying to use the sync at once, well, I’ll try again later.

12. Barberetti says:

No idea if either of the 2 games I’ve got on Steam are DRM free, and I can’t be bothered to install the Steam client to find out, so I guess I’ll pass.

• Bassen_Hjertelos says:

Since everything on GOG is DRM-free there’s no need to check that. Steam is DRM in and of itself so any game on Steam has some form of DRM. I’d say having the games on both distribution platforms at the same time is reason enough to sync the two services.

• BlueTemplar says:

How exactly Steam is DRM in and of itself when you can copy the Steam folder with the games that only have the “Steam-client-has-to-run”-“DRM” on another computer and then run there Steam offline forever?
        link to gog.com
        (Not to mention the DRM-free games on Steam.)

gritz says:

The other side benefit of this is that GOG regularly runs bundle deals that have a bigger discount the more games you select from the bundle. If you already own the game in GOG, your discount isn’t changed, but in the past, if you owned the game in Steam and didn’t want to rebuy it, you’d lose out on the best discount.

Mungrul says:

This is an awesome initiative I’ll definitely be taking advantage of.

Even discounting the fact that I’ll be able to claim sweet, sweet DRM-free versions of games I have on Steam, it’s ace that I can have some of my eggs in two cloudy baskets just in case one or the other virtual storefront karks it.

• Cederic says:

Yep, ‘free’ insurance for my games collection. Well, 0.5% of it.

15. MadTinkerer says:

Here’s Wot I Think:

This is all actually about Humble Bundle.

There has been a big problem with stolen / shadily traded codes lately. If one Steam code can get your new Indie game on Steam and GoG at the same time, that will cut down on outright theft and EULA-breaking trades. So now, potentially, you could have a Humble Bundle where you buy a game, get one code, and still have it on Humble, Steam and GoG. I am all for this.

• Baines says:

That’s only true if GOG can get enough publishers on board, which isn’t likely. GOG is rivals with Humble, anyway.

Instead, this just seems to be an automated approach to something GOG and others have attempted in the past. Like buying an EA game on Steam, having Steam show you the product key, and using that key to add the game to Origin. Or doing the same with The Witcher. This is a more user-convenient approach that also prevents passing around such keys.

• BlueTemplar says:

Could you be more descriptive in Wot U Think?
      What does it has to do with the stolen Steam codes and how would GoG Connect help?

16. jonfitt says:

Doesn’t this throw up a red flag for returning games? Couldn’t you purchase on Steam, sync to GoG and then return the game on Steam?

Is it continually checking that you still own a game? It looks like it’s doing a one-time import.

• jonfitt says:

Oh wait, it does say:

If a game is removed from your Steam account for any reason, such as through manual deletion or a refund – we reserve the right to remove the games from your GOG.com library.

• suibhne says:

You’re still not wrong, given that one could buy on Steam, sync to GOG.com, download the actual app from GOG, and then refund via Steam.

On the other hand, this is only available via publisher/developer consent on a title-by-title basis, so they’ll be choosing whether or not to accept the risk.

• BlueTemplar says:

Well, in that case, since that seems like an illicit thing to do anyway, wouldn’t it be easier to just get the GoG version, illegally, elsewhere than GoG?

Though in this case GoG ends up paying for the download costs…

• Bassen_Hjertelos says:

It’s not illicit. It’s in GOG’s terms that all their games are available to download for backup purposes, and I’d be hard pressed to believe any publisher or company do not read that agreement with a bleedin’ microscope.

• BlueTemplar says:

I meant getting the GoG version of the game that you don’t “own” from elsewhere than GoG.

• BlueTemplar says:

Yeah, but if GoG is going to do this on a case-by-case basis, by hand, I fear it still will be abused. They will just not be able to keep up…

17. MrBehemoth says:

I’m not sure I get this. I mean, like Joe wrote, if you want to have some games you bought DRM free on Steam appear on your GOG list then that “totally seems fair enough”… but why?

I just don’t understand what’s to gain from doing it. If you buy a DRM-free game, why does it matter whether you associate it with another account. Is it because people don’t like Steam and would move all their games away from it if it was possible and practical? Or am I just totally missing the point?

• abobo says:

“Bought DRM free on steam” is not a thing. Until now all games purchased on steam were locked in to the steam platform. This move by DRM-free-friendly publishers allows their customers some mobility away from steam without feeling slighted by the need for a duplicate purchase. You can now play their games legitimately without steam installed on your PC. They’ve breached the walled garden. GOG and said publishers are now heroes in the war against platform exclusivity.

• Dare_Wreck says:

Er, what? That’s not true at all. There are quite a few games on Steam that you can play outside the realm of Steam after downloading it. See here: link to steam.wikia.com

• abobo says:

It seems I don’t know what I’m talking about. Thanks for the correction. I suppose I was basing this on my limited experience and mild annoyance with steam always getting itself in between me and the game launching.

For many of the games in that list it seems that, while they can be run in the absence of steam, they require some disentangling (e.g. deleting DLLs, command line editing) and have limitations on achievements and saving/loading games in some cases.

Also this :
            link to pcgamingwiki.com

Notice all the SteamWorks games (and Valve games in particular).

Though SteamWorks titles tend to (obviously) have the SteamWorks features not working,
            features like Multi-Player, Mod Workshop, Cloud Saves, Achievements…

• Ksempac says:

If you have hundred of games on one platform, you’re unlikely to give it up for a new platform if it means giving up on your games. As their banner suggest, this is a way to jumpstart your GOG collection.

If you’ve got 200 games on Steam and 2 on GOG, you’re probably still gonna buy on Steam. If you’ve got 200 games on Steam and 50 or 100 on GOG, then GOG may become your new favorite place to buy, or at least, you’ll keep it in mind.

• shadow9d9 says:

Games don’t need a “platform.” Just install them and voila.

• Buggery says:

Sure – and that’s exactly why GOG is extremely decent. You don’t have to use GoG Galaxy, simply buy the game and then download the installation exe. No fuffing about with overlays and online connectivity.

• suibhne says:

Sure. But surely Steam’s success suggests there’s some market value in offering convenient library management. Not saying Steam does it especially well, mind, but it seems like it’s a capability set that some piece of the market really appreciates. That’s why I think Ksempac’s comment is the most relevant in this whole comments page, as far as teasing out GOG’s actual business logic here.

I’m part of that market, by the way. I remember the bad old days of installing a ton of different games that were tied to physical media, organized themselves differently on my hard drive, dropped save files in different spots (rarely following Microsoft’s spec), and had to be entirely reinstalled when I built a new rig every few years. Steam handily solves all of those problems. GOG has pretty much gotten to parity, and they now offer the best of both worlds – you get full user freedom if you want it, or a competent launcher and library manager if you prefer that (as I think most of the market does).

Sadly, GoG’s Galaxy does still have some issues :
            – No “cloud” (server) save storage (not even being planned it seems)
            – Steam Workshop basically makes modding of compatible games Steam-only.
            – SteamWorks tends to make multiplayer of compatible games Steam-only.
            – Games/Expansions/Updates are sometimes weeks/months/years late on GoG compared to Steam

• BlueTemplar says:

Before installing them, you have to get them from somewhere.
          And the InterNet being what it is, it tends towards monopolies & monopsonies…

18. Emeraude says:

So, basically, GOG is becoming Steam support?

I mean, why buy a game on GOG when you can buy it on Steam and get your free GOG copy on top, while the reverse doesn’t hold true?

Nice gesture though.

• Llewyn says:

Yeah, I find this rather odd too, despite my views on Steam being very different from yours.

Personally I’d find the other way around far more useful – buying games DRM free on GOG and also getting a Steam key where available, just like I do from Humble. I want my games on Steam, not because it’s in any fundamental way better but because it’s the obvious single portal for my collection. Ideally I want them in Steam+x (in a backup sense, not in a Steam+uPlay sense) which DRM-free on Humble tends to give me. GOG doing that would drive far more of my games spend in their direction, and I’m sure I can’t be alone in that.

• Tryryke says:

This is something I was hoping for too… Though only because I bought Witcher 3 on disc, the codes allowing it to only be registered on GoG.

Now it’s just nitpicking but it really bugs me that the game isn’t on my steam list like the other two.

particlese says:

Keep in mind that your Steam butt saves will not be automatically transferred or backed up.

Well, that caught me off guard. Totally forgot I was running in cloud to butt mode, and now that’s going to say “I was running in butt to butt mode” when I submit this comment.

Anyway, this is kinda nuts. I like it! I don’t like the account linking thing in general, but I’m kinda tempted by this one. Leave it to CD Projekt Red to do something unexpectedly awesome like this… (I’m under the impression they made a lot of good free stuff for the Witcher games, but I haven’t played any of them myself.)

20. fco says:

this could be particularly useful for games that were bought on steam but have a better version on gog.
    i’m thinking older games for which gog have done a bigger effort on ironing compatibility issues.

21. PseudoKnight says:

I’ve always wanted to see cross-platform ownership, but more consistently and for a small service fee. I’m definitely going to take advantage of this, so that among other things I have more reasons to open GOG. Steam did something like this with humblebundle, so I hope they do this with GOG as well.

• BlueTemplar says:

I doubt it since, Steam and GoG are direct competitors, while Steam has basically has transformed Humble Bundle into another seller of Steam Keys… (and surprisingly so, considering Humble’s DRM-free stance at start!)

22. Derpkovsky says:

I have just read evey single comment, and I still don’t fully understand why people get so excited. I know it means your game will be drm-free and all, but surely it would just be impractical to not have all your games in one place.
    People seem to be really glad to not have to use Steam. Why? What’s wrong with steam as opposed to GOG? I personally don’t mind using it and find it handy to have one program that will just launch my game and let me easily play together with other people.

• fish99 says:

I have Origin, Uplay, GOG and Steam accounts, and plenty of games on all of them. I don’t find it impractical at all.

• Buggery says:

Competition. If you buy all your games on Steam and don’t bother with any other platforms then Valve essentially owns the PC market. There are some complaints from publishers about how Valve sets their pricing structures which is a pain, but frankly, for the average consumer, it just means that Valve actually has to try and better their services – for example, GoG has had refunds longer than Steam, has more reliable customer service and technical support for all the titles they sell, and consistently attempts to improve their marketplace and the way you can manage the titles you buy from them. Valve hasn’t done much to improve their service in any meaningful respects for years now.

• Aerothorn says:

Benefits of having a second GOG copy:

1. You can download the extras released alongside GOG games (that aren’t on Steam).

2. Discounts in GOG bundles where you already own the game on Steam.

3. Ability to play older versions of a game, which Steam currently doesn’t allow (since it force-updates to the latest version and doesn’t have any reversion functionality).

None of these may interest you, but they are definitely more than nothing!

23. racccoon says:

Just when you/I thought I/you where FREE OF STEAM they fall for this, I think they are so blinded, as this is a future steam conspiracy plan as per usual to take over GOG. Shame on gog to think they are doing something, when they aren’t really doing anything but allowing noose around necks. I preferred the separation from this PC game monopoly, not the stupidly helping them(steam) by way of hand shake to the devil to be more of one!
    Its so naive of gog to think this is a good idea.

• GraveSalad says:

You can play Steam games DRM free already (Games like Don’t Starve and FTL you could move the folder after install and it wouldn’t launch Steam if you clicked on the .exe directly) so all this is doing is allowing that key to unlock a GOG copy as well. Steam keeps players right now because they don’t want to lose their library, but if you gave someone that library somewhere else, they’d be inclined to take a look.

24. timespike says:

I’m hoping this works for me soon. I think the system is just swamped right now. :/

25. satan says:

I like that GoG and steam are separate, it’s refreshing to get out from under the ever watchful eye of Steam tracking every minute I’m playing, and announcing every game I’m playing to my entire friends list.

• BlueTemplar says:

Well, if these are your issues you could just Sign Out of your Friends List, or run Steam in Offline Mode?