Pilot Mechs In Brigador’s Chill Cityscape, Out Now

Mech combat game Brigador is out today. It’s a game about mercenary mechs-for-hire causing destruction in an isometric city. I played an early build of it and it had real promise, as aside from looking great its combat supported stealth runs, zippy raids, and straightforward damage dealing. We’ll perhaps have some thoughts on it later, but for now you might want to watch its launch trailer and start listening to its soundtrack.

The trailer has my name in it, beneath the quote “Brigador is cool.” That’s the kind of deep, cutting insight you’ve come to expect from me, I bet:

But Brigador is cool. Customisable mechs are cool; urban nightscapes are cool; its engine, which allows for destructible scenery and dynamically lit sprites through methods I do not understand, is cool. Just as important as the game coming out is that its soundtrack, by the excellent Makeup And Vanity Set, is also now available – and very cool.

The game spent a while in early access, during which people had some concerns over its price. It’s now £23/$30 on Steam when bundled with the soundtrack and an audiobook set within the game’s fiction, or $20 (around £13.85) when the game is bought by itself via Itch.io.

From this site

1. wake says:

To be clear– v1.00 doesn’t go up until 10am central, so make sure you update after that if you’re already playing. Also, the steam page for the $20 standalone launches with the game on the official release also at 10.

Thanks for posting Graham, hope you’re doing well.

-Hugh

• paranoydandroyd says:

Looks like the just dropped the price to $10 on itch.io until 10 June. And it comes with a Steam key.

Elusiv3Pastry says:

Was just about to say the same. Easy sale for me!

• J. Cosmo Cohen says:

Was that a glitch? It isn’t that price for me.

• Hobbes says:

Not seeing that price here either, must have been a glitch.

• wake says:

The sale was a glitch, but we’re rollin with it. So you guys who grabbed it half off, hope you like it, and pass the good fortune down the line.

2. Kvart says:

The graphics reminds me a bit of the original starcraft, which is great!
    I’ve been having a bit of an eye on this game for a little while now, seems to be just my taste.

3. iniudan says:

Not that it look bad, but not what hoped it was, which looked like Front Mission from the isometric view of the screenshot in the heading, so can’t say I wasn’t let down.

• iniudan says:

Btw before someone take it badly, as I might have worded it a bit too negatively, it’s still going on the wishlist, just mean it won’t go to the top of my steam wishlist, which is mostly strategy and RPG in my case.

• Ansob says:

That’s fair!

The most obvious points of comparison are Desert Strike, Future Cop: LAPD, and Mechwarrior 3050, really.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

And yet the devs claim to have never played any of the Strike games or Future Cop. Syndicate and Crusader are the two they’ve actually cited as influences.

• Bassen_Hjertelos says:

My first thought was actually, “Wouldn’t it be awesome to make a TC of Crusader: No Remorse/No Regret in this engine?” It just feels very Crusadey.

4. Someoldguy says:

I have loved games about big stompy robots delivering death since the days when it had to be done with pencil and dice. Unfortunately watching this clip it looks like this is just an arcade game with bullets and lasers spewing indiscriminately than the sort of tactical game of mech loadout, manoeuvre, heat management, ammo management and targeted damage dealing.

• MurcDusen says:

It’s no Mechwarrior, but saying it’s arcade with “bullets and lasers spewing indiscriminately” is not right either. Ammo management is pretty important, so is positioning and movement. There is also directional damage and an alarm mechanic, and the destructable environment is good for more than just looking cool. Weapon ballistics are also a little more intricate than it might seem at a glance.

It depends a little on what build you play, certain ones are straight up easier than others and can take more punishment, but especially the lighter and stealthier builds are all about using the strenghts of your build smartly and drawing the enemy all over the map into the right positions for an ambush (or just away from the arty guns so you can destroy them). And even with the heavy ones you need to know what you’re doing, otherwise you’ll quickly find enemies falling into your back and rinse you within seconds.

TL;DR: Out of “mech loadout, manoeuvre, heat management, ammo management and targeted damage dealing” I’d say all except heat management and targeted damage dealing (if you’re talking about individual parts on mechs, target selection overall is pretty important) play big roles in Brigador.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Keep in mind too that this is not a twin stick shooter. You control the movement of your robot/tank* with WASD where A+D turn your vehicle and W+S move you forward and back, so yes you do need to learn how to maneuver. Aiming is done with the mouse which rotates your turret/robot-hips and the cursor’s distance from you determines the height of your shots.

*Anti-gravs are a little different in that they strafe.

• Phasma Felis says:

Haven’t played it, but the website mentions 40 different weapons and 45 vehicles to choose from, so it seems like decisions about chassis and loadout may yet be very important.

(Heat management can be interesting, but it was really a thing of BattleTech in particular, not mech games in general; and location damage was never going to be practical in a game with a pulled-back camera like this.)

• SomeDuder says:

The units look a bit too… floaty for my tastes. Doesn’t give the same impression of weight and scale like the various Mechgames did

5. SirDeimos says:

Seems like an appropriate spot to say “thank you” to Graham for first mentioning the name ‘Makeup and Vanity Set’ during a Crate and Crowbar podcast sometime in 2014. He rapidly became my favorite artist (MAVS not Graham. Although, I’m sure Graham does art good too). Also, Brigador is cool.

6. Raoul Duke says:

Anyone know whether this will work with a controller?

• Sian says:

Not yet, but potentially in the future:

link to steamcommunity.com

DelrueOfDetroit says:

It was designed from the ground up to work with M+KB so controller support is a big maybe but probably not.

• Raoul Duke says:

It seems completely insane to design a game like this for mouse and keyboard only (and I say this as a diehard PC master race-r who generally hates ‘consolised’ games).

This would be perfect for Big Picture mode on a big screen TV in the living room.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

As I mentioned above the distance your cursor is from your vehicle determines the arc of your shots, which as I understand is the biggest challenge in getting the game to play nice with analog sticks.

I’m not sure if this is a couch game either, it almost plays like an RTS where you are controlling just one unit. You need to be aware of your surroundings and some of the sprites are pretty tiny.

• Raoul Duke says:

Seems to me you just push a bit further to extend the range of your shot, if that makes sense, probably with it set up so that the controllers joysticks zero points bring your shot back to minimum range.

As for size… I dunno about you, maybe my TV is just preposterously huge, but it’s a hell of a lot bigger and easier to see stuff on than my 27″ monitor. Plus I want to hear this game’s soundtrack pumping out of my hi fi setup.

Anyway, game looks great, and based on various comments around the interwebs, I suspect they will eventually put controller support in.

• Phasma Felis says:

I haven’t even played the game yet, so maybe it’s in there already, but I’d love to see an implementation of tank controls, i.e. four buttons for forward/reverse left/right tread (or leg, or…whatever). Would map really well to shoulder buttons, if you wanted to use a gamepad while keeping the sense of ponderousness that is often lost with twinstick shooters; but could also be fun just with mouse and keyboard. :)

7. FreshHands says:

I don’t know. This game looks pretty awesome.

Now I am really torn between paying the somewhat steep price and finally getting that Nickleback poster I have always dreamed about.

Ah, decisions!

• Raoul Duke says:

I don’t care what you pay for this, so long as it isn’t a price dictated by supply and demand in a competitive marketplace, which would be a terrible crime against all concerned.

8. Ansob says:

For anyone who played it in Early Access, it’s worth noting that the content available up until a couple of weeks ago was roughly 20% of the game. It has a ton more vehicles, guns and maps now, as well as campaign mode and player progression (you earn money during missions to unlock new mechs/guns/etc.).

• SquidgyB says:

That’s exactly what I needed to hear :) I purchased a couple of months ago, and while I liked the gameplay mechanics it felt a bit… “single map skirmish”-ey.

I’ll have a look this weekend at the campaign, if I can tear myself away from the ‘Souls.

9. Leucine says:

Also, for anyone who might be interested – if you’ve enjoyed the music from the trailers and game (except one of trailers which had a track by gausswerks) it was done by the excellent Makeup and Vanity Set. Rather nicely, coinciding with the release of the game, the soundtrack has been released independently on Bandcamp, where you can also preorder vinyl and (I’m not joking) cassette versions.

Now, I know the sentiment around preordering here is quite negative and with good reason but in this case: you can listen to the entire soundtrack before buying and there are limited physical copies (500 on vinyl), so if you’re interested it’d be a good idea to pick it up now.

As for Brigador, I played it for just a little not too long ago but found it a bit limited so put off any further attempt until release. Delighted to see this now and I’ll be sure to give it another go. What I did play was really very enjoyable.

• Leucine says:

Oh I just saw that it’s linked in the article already. Balls. And I’m usually so careful!

Now all the cool RPS kids will laugh at me…

Nauallis says:

Don’t feel too bad, because I kinda glossed over that last bit on the article. Now I’m actually listening to the soundtrack on the artists’ page, and I’m very impressed. So thanks! It was worth reiterating.

10. Joey Fudgepants says:

This is not the RPG adaptation of Brigadoon I had been hoping for :(

AutonomyLost says:

The trailer got me. I’m refraining from buying it, as I’m trying to concentrate nearly all of my gaming-energy on the 100-or-so hours of The Witcher 3 (including both DLCs) I have left, but I am putting Brigador on the Wishlist.