Destructo-Sport: Dangerous Golf Out, Requires Xbox Pad

Dangerous Golf [official site] is a game about smashing environments to pieces using the traditional weaponry of club ‘n’ ball, as seen in sporting competition all around the world. In this version of the game known as golf, you’ll leave the greens behind and set to work smashing kitchens, castles and convenience stores. Developed by new studio Three Fields, which is led Criterion co-founders Fiona Sperry and Alex Ward, the game is now out on PS4, Xbone and PC. It’s the PC release we’re interested in, of course, and Dangerous Golf has landed somewhat in the rough thanks to a lack of mouse and keyboard support.

The Steam store page does include a note on the need for a controller, at the bottom of the system requirements (you need to click ‘read more’ to see it), and the devs are active on the Steam forums explaining which controllers are supported:

Dangerous Golf does not support mouse and keyboard play. Unfortunately there is no native Windows support for PlayStation 4 controllers. Third party tools do exist. We suggest you refer to the Steam forums for support as there are many discussions there about this issue. Hope that helps.

We have had no issues to date with the 360 or Xbox One controllers. We don’t have any control over the PlayStation 4 controller – Windows doesn’t officially support it. Hence why we refer you to the Steam forums for advice on third party tools that will get it to work. Best of Luck.

That’s the Xbox controllers as far as official support goes then, in both 360 and One varieties. If you can get your controller running using xinput or an equivalent of your choice, it might well work in-game, but there are no guarantees. This thread contains apparent confirmation that some Logitech pads will work, but I haven’t checked that myself. For a PS4 pad, DS4Windows is our own Alec’s software of choice.

Once in-game, with a controller ready to go, some people have also been struggling to find a way to adjust settings (options can be seen on this user screenshot). Three Fields have responded to those concerns as well.

The Settings are in the Clubhouse Menu option. Some people have reported not being able to find it.

I’m planning to try the game later on, using my crusty old 360 controller.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

Matchstick says:

Sounds like a really good reason to give this one a miss.

2. King Mustard says:

Real PC gamers have an Xbox 360 or One controller, anyway.

• laiwm says:

Aye, they’re basically an essential purchase these days unless you only play strategy and other clicky genres. Surprised to see a semi-major release go completely without any KB&M support though, especially a golf game.

• KDR_11k says:

Eh, depends on your familiarity with the keyboard for action games, if you’ve been playing games in the DOS era you often didn’t have a choice other than the keyboard. Especially arcade games benefit from the keyboard as it’s used like the arcade sticks (palms pointing down, individual fingers pushing buttons as opposed to palms inward, thumb pressing all buttons). It’s only the games relying on analog sticks for analog movement or moving two sticks at once for things that aren’t aiming or a ton of buttons that get awkward on the keyboard as you’ll be moving your hands far too much and losing your alignment.

Most games play fine with a keyboard, the exceptions are pretty few and this game doesn’t look like it really needs the controller all that much (button usage is sparse, doesn’t seem to require analog input).

Also for a PC controller I’d normally suggest one with a good d-pad as well as an analog stick since there are a lot of 2D sidescrollers on the system that feel better with digital input. The standard 360 pad is pretty pathetic in that regard.

• Kefren says:

I agree, real PC gamers always have console accessories.

• laiwm says:

Eh, videogames is videogames.

• Mokinokaro says:

A huge advantage of PCs is that they support a wide range of controllers and some games simply do work better on things other than mouse and keyboard.

I still find it weird when the “PC Master Race” completely dismisses this ADVANTAGE of their chosen platform.

• Kefren says:

I totally agree with your first sentence.

The second one seems a bit strange. I’m not in a “PC Master Race”; I have no problem with consoles and other platforms (I have an Xbox for Rock Band 3); I am not dismissing any advantages of the PC; I don’t mind what people use to play games. I’m just surprised that a game released for a platform doesn’t include the option to use its default interface. Maybe kb+m might not work as well for some people, while for others it might play better. All I’m saying is that you’d think there’d be a choice. Hardly a radical point.

• Eclipse says:

If you are into PC gaming seriously, you have at least one pad, be it a dualshock or an xbox or a third party compatible one. That doens’t mean you use them to play fps or strategy games, but you cannot be into pc gaming and not own a pad these days, as they are dirty cheap

• pepperfez says:

It would be nice to have my choice of pad, though, rather than having to fight Microsoft’s brand consolidation strategy.

• Kefren says:

True. I have an official Xbox controller that doesn’t work on the PC (it’s one of those that charged via cable and can be disconnected form it). I have another controller which is third party. Some games that offer controller options don’t work with either of them. So much for plug and play…

• KDR_11k says:

The wireless ones should work if you connect their proprietary USB dongle to your PC, do you have one of those?

• Kefren says:

I am not sure ow to answer this. I play PC games every day. I have done for 20+ years. Puzzles, strategy, FPS, platformers, adventures, arcade games, all sorts. I rarely choose to plug in a gamepad. Obviously all my gaming is frivolous rather than serious.

• badmothergamer says:

Been playing PC games for 20+ years and finally broke down and bought a 360 controller about 6 months ago for a golf game. I plugged it in, realized after about 5 minutes I’m still terrible with thumbsticks, unplugged it and went back to m+kb. The 360 controller has been in the closet ever since. I am considering a Steam controller though as the touchpad seems much more suited to my tastes.

I think a lot of the younger crowd that grew up playing with thumbstick controllers on consoles have a much easier time using them. For those of us who grew up with d-pads then transitioned to m+kb PC gaming and have never really played modern consoles, thumbsticks are a nightmare.

• Kefren says:

My luxury gaming peripheral is a microswitched Kempston-type joystick which works via USB. Only used for games on my emulators (C64, Spectrum, Amiga).

DelrueOfDetroit says:

You picked the worst controller you could have gotten if you want to use the d-pad as the one on the 360 is absolute garbage.

• bill says:

Any new control method is going to take more than 5 minutes to get used to.
            But it shouldn’t take more than a week to learn.
            I grew up with M&KB, but I got a gamecube after many years of PC gaming. The first game I played was all spent looking at the ceiling or the floor, but after a week I could play with no problems.

That said, I have a perfectly good directx gamepad that I’ve had for years now, and I refuse to replace it with an xbox pad just because MS wanted to force all PC owners to buy their brand of peripherals.

New control methods and gamepads on PC = yay!
            xbox controllers only = boo!

• kud13 says:

I have over 300 titles on Steam, probably around 150 on GOG, and a few “Publisher’s Collections” on Gamersgate. Not to mention odd games on Origin or Uplay.

I play strategy, FPS games, RPGs (old-school and modern), and 3rd person action-adventures. Single player only.

I’ve yet to play a game I would have difficulties with using M+K.

But clearly I’m not a “serious” PC gamer, because I don’t own an optional peripheral input device. The fact that I never owned a console in my life and don’t have the ingrained thumb-reflexes of some other “gamers” is clearly irrelevant. Because Eclipse decreed that I’m not a “serious” PC gamer.

• Enso says:

Im sure people have grown up and never owned a console and maybe even never knew anyone with a console. But so many people have at least played a NES or something.

But if you’ve really never used analogue sticks then why not give it a go. You can get a 360 pad for about £20. What do you stand to lose?

• Kefren says:

I mostly agree. As I said above though, I have controllers; I’ve used them for loads of games in the past. I always find them to be more faff and less intuitive than other control systems. We’re all different. I always groan when a game says “best played with a controller!” since for me the experience is always better without it. Call me weird, call me a mutant, call me a defective cyborg; it doesn’t change the fact that I play better with a keyboard and mouse, enjoy the controls more, and find them more intuitive.

• Enso says:

I didn’t consider that they might just not click with some people.

And I know it’s not everyone’s prerogative but I’ve just got 2 new controllers; hori fighting stick 4, for street fighter, and a steam controller out of curiosity. I found the arcade stick really difficult at first but I’ve been persevering and Ive started noticing the advantages.

The steam controller is a little more difficult because I’m not playing a lot of games that it really is suited for at the moment.

But with learning everything there is an initial hump and its difficult to detect whether you’re experiencing that hump or something just doesn’t suit you.

• Kefren says:

Sounds like you have all the options covered! I imagine a proper stick helps immersion for flight sims.

But it’s interesting that some things would just feel wrong to some people. You could probably play a fighting game on a flight stick or a flight sim on an Xbox gamepad, but it would probably be a similar experience to how some people find gamepads in general. I’m just guessing though.

I remember when I used to play F29 Retaliator with a Quickshot 2 Turbo [8-direction microclick with suction pads] – seemed amazing to me, would be laughed at nowadays. :-)

• Kefren says:

Doh, ignore part of what I said – I read “hori fighting stick” as “hotas flight stick”.
            Where’s the edit button? :-)

• Kefren says:

I apologise for attempting to use satire in response to a comment that implies all people with interest X should have view Y.

3. AskForBarry says:

It is a good thing that they are being honest about this, if it actually is very impractical playing with keyboard and mouse.
    The alternative is that a lot of people without controllers buys the game, and have a miserable time. Rocket League is a good example of this.

• Urthman says:

I’ve played Dark Souls, Darksiders, Psychonauts, LEGO Marvel, all with mouse and keyboard (or just keyboard). I own a 360 pad, but prefer mouse and keyboard for a lot of games that some people claim “require” a pad. The only game I’ve ever played that genuinely required a pad was a cool little indie game, Paper Plane, that relied on the analog triggers.

• Urthman says:

Oh, and Brothers Tale of Two Sons. That game all by itself justified owning a 360 pad.

caff says:

I managed to complete Brothers with mouse & keyboard. Well, keyboard. It was hard but it was worth it.

4. Unsheep says:

Golf is not the fast-paced sports game that NHL and PES are, where playing with a controller is probably the optimal. Golf is a slow-paced precision game, where I think it would be more efficient with keyboard & mouse.

Herzog says:

Wii mote plus wii u pad with display are the optimal way to play golf games!

• badmothergamer says:

One thing PC golf games have always had issues with are swing mechanics using a mouse. This is why most early golf games used a 2-click or 3-click system and even most modern ones still offer the option. It isn’t the pace of the game so much as how difficult it is to move a mouse straight backward then quickly thrust it straight forward without hooking or slicing. Despite my total incompetence using thumbsticks this is one area where even I am better using a controller than m+kb.

5. kwyjibo says:

How fucking strapped for cash are these guys if they can’t even afford to implement KVM input? Did all the Burnout money run out?

6. something says:

I don’t understand why, even though Windows natively recognizes my generic Playstation-style controller, some games manage to specifically require an Xbox controller. What API are they using that bypasses the native OS controller support?

• bill says:

As far as I can understand it, we used to have DirectX which worked with a wide variety of input devices and controllers.

Then microsoft created xinput which only works with their xbox controllers.

Then they made the XNA framework that made it easy for game developers to make cross platform games for xbox and PC (particularly indie games) and gave away the dev tools for free. But XNA only supports xinput.

So, in a great display of generosity, they managed to lock everyone in to their own brand of controllers.

liquidsoap89 says:

I’m pretty sure they’re just straight up wrong about Windows not supporting DS4’s. A driver was installed when mine was connected for the first time, and Rocket League detects the controller as is (the keys are all mapped as Playstation buttons, not XBox buttons).

8. tonicer says:

lol no kb&m support … that’s like saying “please don’t buy our game” … okay devs i won’t.