Rainbow Six Siege Gets Discounted Starter Edition

Starter editions – concise versions of bigger games that sell for a fraction of the price – are all the rage these days. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege [official site] is the latest inline, so, instead of parting with £30/$50 of your hard-earned cash so as to sample the environmental destruction-heavy FPS that Adam really quite liked, why not consider dropping just £12/$15 on its Starter Edition? You’ve got until June 19 to do so.

For the next two weeks, Siege’s Starter Edition gets you access to the “full Rainbow Six Siege experience”, which includes its weapons, its maps, and its modes. The main difference, then, besides the price, is how Operators are unlocked. As opposed to the standard 20, Starter Edition includes just two Operators who’re chosen at random from the six soldiers featured in the above header image – the “most intuitive for entry-level players,” according to Ubisoft.

The Standard Edition will also bag you 600 R6 credits that can be used to unlock a further two comrades from that there motley crew, and if you feel like accessing more it’ll set you back 12,500 renown (Siege’s in-game currency), instead of between 500-2,000 as per the game’s Standard Edition. So you’ll grind for your penny-pinching sins, in essence.

One thing I really liked about my time with Siege was how it felt like I was learning on the job. Developing an understanding of how inventories, mechanics, in-game tech etc. work in any game is crucial, yet Siege makes you feel more accomplished, more capable, a better soldier for doing so. It’s a gradual process and it’s really quite rewarding. Here’s Adam on that very point:

“As you gain experience – in the form of in-game levels and unlocks, but more importantly, in the form of ACTUAL EXPERIENCE OF THE GAME – your reaction times will improve. This is one of the essential and most important facts about Siege; you can feel yourself becoming a better player as you learn how to use its tools and systems. That’s vital. If it weren’t the case, the fairly barebones package that comprises the actual #content wouldn’t be anywhere near enough to keep anyone’s attention for long.”

June 19 is, what, just over two weeks away? Is that time enough to learn the ropes? I guess that’s up to you to decide. Rainbow Six Siege’s Starter Edition is out now (until June 19) for Windows on Steam or via Uplay priced £11.99/$14.99/14,99€.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Zankman says:

Sounds good to me, to be completely honest. Fair trade for those of us more limited in funds.

2. Axyl says:

Can we upgrade from the Starter Edition to the Full Edition to remove the extra in-game price on Operators if we decide we’re comfortable laying out the Full Price for the game? Seems pretty restrictive if you’re stuck in “Starter Edition” prices forever.

• Ksempac says:

As ubisoft said in their FAQ about the starter edition, you can buy R6 credits to unlock the operators, which would be similar to upgrading to Standard Edition. Good thing about is that you can buy only some of the required R6 credits and grind the rest of the operators that you don’t care too much about.

As a regular player, i really like this initiative, i think it’s a fair offer.

3. J. Cosmo Cohen says:

Are Operators like different classes or something?

• AshEnke says:

They’re more like characters in a MOBA or Team Fortress 2.
      They share the basic moveset, have their own weapon (some have shotguns, some have SMGs) and they each have a “gadget” that is kind of like their power.

Someone can detect heartbeats through walls, another has a scope on his rifle, another can reinforce walls, another can plant traps on doors and windows, another can fire Drilling rockets…

They each have their role and play a bit differently

• Ksempac says:

There are 20 unique operators in the base game + 4 from the dlc (get them either by buying season pass or grinding renown). That’s 12 defenders and 12 attackers.

Game is 5v5. A team starts as defenders, the other as attackers, and they will switch role with each new rounds.

So let’s say your team is defenders, you are 5, you each pick an operator among the 12 operators. You can only pick an operator if you have personally unlocked them, and two players can’t pick the same operator. Each operator has a unique skill, usually a gadget of some sort and also has a limited selection of loadouts. Thus picking an operator will allow you to customize your playstyle for this round.

Finally, both on the attacker and defender side, there is the default recruit. Recruits are unlimited, you can have 5 recruits in your team. They do have a special skill but have all loadouts available. So recruit doesn’t have that extra skill, but is still a valid operator that veterans do pick from time to time.

• Ksempac says:

*dammit i meant “recruit DONT have an extra skill but do have all loadouts available”

4. Tsumei says:

This is an absurdly excellent game, and I reccommend trying it!

I figure perhaps people would like suggestions for operators, and in the interest of being brief:
    IQ/Ash, Sledge, Thermite, Twitch

Smoke, Jæger/Bandit/Pulse, Rook, Doc

Q: But Tsumei, Isn’t that list a little reductionist, I thi-
    A: I just wanted to list some operators that are Very Good^TM. These are operators that are not bad, used in competitive play, and nearly always fulfill a role. They also span varied playstyles due to their guns and abilities; from the roamer to the point defender, from the team player to the flanker.

• Ksempac says:

Considering a starter edition person is only gonna get 4 operators for a while, i would actually recommend them to not pick the ultra popular ones.

Operators like rook or thermite are likely to be picked, which would force you to play the default recruit (who isn’t bad, just generic).

I would go with good but less populars like pulse/bandit/jager on the defenders side, and on the attacker side twitch/sledge or if you can/want to play with shields :blitz.

• Tsumei says:

Oh certainly. The main thing I wanted to get across is that if operators come at a premium, you probably definitively want to get the ones that are “core” operators; operators that are positioned to always be useful throughout any future patches.

Like the entire spetznas lineup could use buffs from where they currently stand, and none of them are remotely close to being considered necessary.
        Still perfectly fine choices, mind. Just for the competitively minded.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Too little too late. If this was on offer when it came out I would have jumped on this.

• Ksempac says:

Honest question: why is it “too late” for you? The game has a healthy community, is regularly updated and is, according to beta players (i wasn’t one), in a much better shape than at launch. So, why not jump in?

Without context, your statement doesn’t make sense to me

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Because at this point the game is going to be entirely occupied by people who know everything about all of the levels so attempting to learn how to play will not be enjoyable.

• Ksempac says:

I can guarantee this is absolutely false. I’ve started playing only 2 months ago and I have 130h into the game.

Right now, almost every game I play has at least one beginner out of 10 players (beginners can be noticed by their visible player level which is basically equal your playtime). As i said, the community is healthy, with both veterans and new players. Also, remember it’s a team game, so others will help you.

Recently I played a game where one of the player was a level 2 (which is like, 1h of play max). We welcomed him, and the first few rounds showed he was actually a beginner (not just a secondary account from a veteran), we could tell he had no map knowledge, etc. But he was trying to help the team so all is good.

Then we’re down to the last round. 2-2, so this is the decisive round. Kills are traded, we’re down to 1v1…with the guy left in our team being our beginner. I thought we were done for, but we gave him tactical info as to where the last opponent was…and he clutched the game ! That was awesome :)

That being said, R6 is a tough game to learn, there is so many things that others FPS don’t do that you will have to learn. So beginnings might be rough, but it’s not gonna be because you face only veterans, just normal progression like everyone else.

So really, if “I’m only gonna face veterans” is the only reason you fear getting into the game, i can assure you that’s not the case and you can jump in.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Perhaps. The fact of the matter is that I have no motivation to play the game at this time where as I did when it first came out. That’s for more reasons than the one I gave but yes, the biggest being that I just can’t be bothered to learn this type of game as it’s not really my thing. When the game first came out I might have bought it had it not been $80 and screwed around for a couple of weeks while everybody learned the ins and outs of the game. Now it has been established that THIS is how you play it’s not a matter of discovering new things but following orders and that’s not as fun for me.

Nauallis says:

In most cases I enjoy your opinions and insights DelrueOfDetroit, but this comment flies in the face of all reason. If the price drop for the base game is sufficient to entice you to buy it, it’s likely also enticed other hold-outs to purchase the game too. Most gamers I know (including myself) usually want to play a game as soon as they buy it, which then suggests that the playerbase will be inflated with more newbies than before. I can’t reasonably speculate on how long those new players will continue to play. Until they get the value they sought, I suppose.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

As I said above it’s not entirely that I’ll be playing against veteran players (although that is part of it) but more that the levels now have a way you are “supposed” to play them that has been established by 6 months of people playing them.

I also don’t have much experience with games like COD or Counterstrike or Arma ect. meaning that a lot of those rookies will have an advantage over me.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Also, thank you. I appreciate the compliment.

Nauallis says:

I appreciate how you feel there – I used to be pretty darn good at Halo multiplayer and really enjoyed Halo 4, but… 5 just doesn’t work for me. Mostly it seems like the networking is off (I live in Colorado, and I strongly suspect most of the servers and players are on the east and west coasts of the US, thus higher ping for me, yay), but frankly it’s just as possible it’s me getting older.

gritz says:

7. Normy says:

Didn’t cut-down versions of games used to be called “demos”? And didn’t they used to be free?

I know, I know… demos died out when publishers figured out there was no upside – they only discouraged potential customers when the demo was crappy, never encouraged a fence-sitter to go buy when they were great (they’d have laid down full-price based on reviews anyway). But, still… Recasting an old idea and charging money for it? Ew, no…

• Ksempac says:

I wish R6 had a proper demo, so I could finally show my friends how awesome the game is.

However, that Starter Edition is definitely more than a demo. Somewhat who doesn’t mind grinding will get the full game through the Starter Edition.

• ludde says:

I’ve bought plenty of games based on demos. Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield for example.

It had an excellent multiplayer demo that I played with about six friends before we all went and bought the game. Would’ve likely not have happened if not for that demo.

8. DeadCanDance says:

My problem with this game is the same as Overwatch. Often the person who kills you sees something entirely different of what you were doing (as shown in the killcam). In overwatch I jump like hell and die mid air only to see that my killer shot me on the ground.

9. BrickedKeyboard says:

This will make the severe hacking problem even worse. This is about the price of a month of VIP hacks for typical cheater, so cheaters can just purchase more copies to evade any bans.