Honnnk! American Truck Simulator Adds Arizona

The red dust, big skies, twisting roads, and dirty gert big hole of Arizona are now open to visit in American Truck Simulator [official site]. Creators SCS Software today properly launched their truck ’em up’s free Arizona expansion, following a short stretch in open beta. Young Alec really enjoyed visiting Nevada in ATS.

The free add-on brings 15 new cities to the simulated America, complete with landmarks like the Colorado river and, obvs, Grand Canyon. No, I don’t believe you can Thelma and Louise your rig – that’s not ATS’s preferred sort of break from everyday life.

Arizona is free for all American Truck Simulator players. It joins California and Nevada as the last of the three states officially confirmed for ATS. SCS Software have said they want to make more states, but folks will likely need to pay for them.

ATS states are much smaller than their real-life inspirations, of course, but adding Arizona brings a variety that made the game feel a whole lot larger to our Alec:

“I don’t want to say that the Arizona DLC completes American Truck Simulator, because when I look at the map or encounter a road blocked by translucent Xs I feel a powerful sadness that its world is nowhere near as vast and boundless as it seems, and needs to fill out at least half a dozen states before it can truly earn the first word of its name. What I am confident in saying is that it completes ATS as a launch package: an added third to its landmass transforms the offering from small to sizeable, so a long haul trip can now feel truly long haul, the scenery will change that much more, and the thought of a full trek from end to end is now something to baulk at rather than spend a lunchbreak on.”

Today also brought updates to both American Truck Sim and Euro Truck Sim 2. Along with giving the option for physically simulated truck and trailer coupling to folks who really want a challenge, it adds external contracts, some tweaks and improvements to the driving simulation, and more. See the changelog over here.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Blackcompany says:

Been waiting for this. Just stumbled onto a world full of intriguing podcasts and this will go so well with Nightmare and Alice Isn’t Dead in particular.

Very eager to see Arizona in the game as well. These are very enjoyable, relaxing games.

2. FCA says:

Now add Utah please, which is the best state for driving and gawking at the scenery.

3. foszae says:

I’m still holding off on ATS simply because i’d rather see a little more variety of locations. While i might be inclined to pay for the Pacific Northwest expansion, after the Grand Canyon there’s simply not much more than flyover states for them to cover at this point. Maybe they could package a dozen or so of the desert and prairie states into one bundle, so we could leapfrog to Chicago and New Orleans and points further East.

At the very least, i can hold off buying ATS until i see how much i have to pay to get to the interesting states. Though at this pace, it looks like i could be waiting a while.

• Nogo says:

Hey meow, I-70 through the Rockies would be quite majestic.

• Unsheep says:

I heard in a podcast that SCS plans to support ATS for at least 10 years or so, which is probably how long it will take for them to roll out all the states. This business model is new for this franchise but is quite common in other sim franchises.

As I have pointed pointed out before in other posts, $20 for this amount of content is cheap compared to the vast majority of indie games, that charge you the same or higher yet offer much less content.

4. Red_Fox says:

The truck simulator is one of the most boring games in existence. You’re literally working for free in a simulation.

You’re only real goal is to be bored longer with longer distance routes. Wake up people.

• Red_Fox says:

I’m curious as to how many people buy it and regret it in 2-3 days after the novelty wears off and they realize what I just said.

• Blackcompany says:

I’m curious how many people used to think the same, until trying a free demo and discovering a wonderful, relaxing experience that’s great for winding down of an evening, perhaps with music or a podcast.

• P.Funk says:

In defense of the criticism, but with less latent hostility and superiority, I honestly cannot enjoy ETS or ATS anymore. Yes its relaxing, but its so boring too to the point that it stops being relaxing. I’m not one of those people who can enjoy a “sim” that’s not really simulating anything or asking me to do much of anything.

This is why for me Omsi is my equivalent. Its a far better “sim” of the vehicles in question and has a much richer sense of authenticity, and even if its graphics are astoundingly poor there’s a charm to them as well.

Also the activities of Omsi are far more rich and keep me busy without being too much of a chore whereas the whole SCS interpretation of driving is so bland and unchallenging that I find myself bored within minutes. The only thing that ever interested me in Truck Sim was the reversing of the trailer and that comes after 40 minutes of driving nowhere so its not often enough. Whats more I can do that anyway with Omsi 2’s articulated buses.

Yes, its all about Omsi if I want to waste my time “working for free”. The buses groan like a real bus, they struggle in the snow like a real bus, the fans and compressors whirrr intrusively like a real bus, the amazing sounds place you well in the moment so you can hear the passengers walking around as you near the stop, complain to you if you’re late or your bus is too cold, mutter loudly when you nearly run a red and use every bit of traction slowing down as the ABS clicks madly into action. I find myself giving the stink eye to stale green adamant that I won’t go behind schedule because that last car took its time changing lanes in front of me. I find myself saying “almost, almost… not stopping” as I sail through the amber and elegantly slide into the berth of the stop just beyond the far crosswalk content that for one more stop on the list I’m where I should be when I should be, easing the front wheel up against the curb just far enough that the boarding and alighting passengers needn’t wet their feet in the gutters.

I’m an Omsi man through and through. To me ETS/ATS is just too hollow in comparison.

• KastaRules says:

I used to think the same then I realized it’s only boring if you play it as a game.

A simulator properly played is extremely fun and rewarding: hook up a racing wheel with an H shifter + a custom Eaton Fuller knob (like this one: link to csio.tech) a three screen setup + trackir OR a VR set… and driving and parking trailers become pure joy!

Real “simmig” is *not* for everybody.

• KastaRules says:

*simming

• Smithee says:

Conversely, how people bought ETS2 out of ironic novelty, only to realize a few hours in that they were genuinely enjoying what they were doing? That was my experience. Sometimes you just need the zen of the road, the radio, and your own thoughts. Not many games can offer that.

• Hobbes says:

This. I bought ETS 2 mostly as a laugh, then I ended up making it my “Go to” game when I needed to get away from the world. Studio Brussels became my haven from THE INTERNET, along with nice relaxing drives through the painterly version of Europe. Bliss.

• Scripten says:

It appears that you’ve found the elusive “Game I don’t like but others do”. Congratulations! Now you can feel really superior to all of those poor people having fun doing something they enjoy.

• anHorse says:

Aren’t you pretending to do a job in most games?

FPS – pretending to be a soldier
      Strategy – pretending to be a ruler or general
      Racing – pretending to be a driver

• Slazia says:

Posting comments on the internet is one of the most boring tasks in existence. You’re literally working for free.

• Slazia says:

I’m curious as to how many people do it and regret it in 2-3 days after the novelty wears off and they realize what I just said.

• rochrist says:

Many people like something I don’t like! What is wrong with them?

• Unsheep says:

I don’t think you have spent any time trying to understand what this genre is about.

• fish99 says:

Have you played it, and for how long?

5. walrus1 says:

When I’m stressed I put on some streaming music, brew a cup of tea and play some ETS2 or ATS. I refer to it as gaming zen. Never found a more relaxing gaming experience and I doubt I will.

Give the demo a shot beacuse you might end up agreeing.

6. Abacus says:

My favourite thing about ATS nowadays are the crash compilations of people crashing in the multiplayer mod. Made even stranger now that they’ve added VOIP.

• FCA says:

That is indeed hilarious! Reminds me of the infamous Farm Simulator video.

7. Missing Cat says:

The current “licensing and copyright” legal model is so ass-backwards and wrong on every level it’s unreal. Who exactly is “financially injured” if SCS (or whoever is responsible for the game content) included a pristine example of an old 1970’s Mack RS700L? You know, Kris Kristofferson’s classic black Mack in the Convoy movie? There is still no finished third party Rubber Duck Mack mod other than a half-assed job, besides given the choice I would rather see something made by professional artists and modellers than a rough effort. Or indeed any number of other “licensed” trucks from any number of manufacturers we could’ve had. Who is hurt here? If anything, it’s *free advertising* and the Mack corporation should be grateful and think themselves lucky for it, right? Or not? Can anyone explain the thought process of this and justify the legality of it?

It isn’t just this game though is it? e.g. Hitman replacing the old guns with toy generics. Arms manufacturers like Walther, Colt, Heckler & Koch etc suddenly lost all that previous free advertising. Oh, and not forgetting the SOG Pentagon knife, also removed. All this “licensing model” has achieved is ruining the authenticity and content of our gaming in a huge dumbification of double-think and ass-clenching legalese. The CEO’s of games publishers and dev studios need to sack their accountants and lawyers for giving them such bad advice the last ten years. We then need a new law in place that makes licensing and suing someone for in-game “breach of copyright content” illegal in itself. It’s free advertising, isn’t it?

• Dr Biffo says:

if we’re talking chivalry and honour, MACK should be paying SCS Software for the privilege of MACK being displayed in SCS’s game, not the other way around. it is arse backwards. same as Walther and Colt should be paying serious money to IOI software for the privilege. it was fair before when we had the free advertising and fair gentleman’s agreement. i think it’s a bit of an understatement saying advertising costs serious money these days… the various companies we see on football players shirts, the ad boards around pitches, the silly looking tags on snooker players and all over F1 cars… Bernie Ecclestone is paying Shell, Mobil & Goodyear now? Mark Selby is paying Betfred? Christiano Ronaldo is paying Emirates? um, no? so why is it any different in the videogames industry, when videogames and sport are both part of the entertainment industry? something smells fishy in Denmark…

• Slazia says:

Companies want to protect their brands. Pretty simple. If their products look bad in a game, it’s bad for their reputation.