Runescape Marks Anniversary Of 6/6/6 Glitchy Massacre

Ten years ago to this very date, the world of Runescape [official site] was devastated by an event so malicious, so evil, that of course it could have only happened on the six day of the six month of the six year of this millennium. I’m talking about the dreaded Falador Massacre—where thousands of Runescapians lost their lives and their items in the span of just a few hours. Today, Jagex are celebrating the ten year anniversary of that awful day by opening two special servers for subscribers, World 666 and World 111, where players can relive those awful events again and again and again.

Now gather ’round children as I tell you about this awful event. Back in 2006, when the world was alive and full of wonder, a carpenter named Curse You wanted to celebrate being the first to level his construction skill to 99—the highest it can get. So, Curse You did what any of us would do and threw a rockin’ house party and invited just about everyone to join. Drinks were drunk, laughs were laughed, and a special combat arena let players engage in some jolly good duels.

But as the party continued to grow, the lag in Curse You’s private estate became unbearable and he had no choice but to forcefully eject every player back out into the open world. The only problem was that those who had engaged in duels retained their ability to attack players—something that Runescape prevents except in specific PvP zones. So what did these gods do with their new found power? Why, they began mercilessly slaughtering everyone they encountered of course. The massacre started in the city of Falador, but quickly spread to neighboring regions until Jagex were able to intervene and ban the aggressors. If you fancy a chilling interview with a virtual murderer, you can read the first hand account of the most prominent instigator of the massacre, Durial321.

Our archaeologists here at RPS have also unearthed some lost footage of the event, which you can watch above if you have the stomach for it. Take special note of the way everyone seems to flee in panic when they realize that they’re unable to even fight back against their assailants. Even worse, death in Runescape is punished by losing all but three of your most prized items, and some players lost millions of gold worth of possessions as they all raced for the nearest bank.

But ten years is a long time, and Jagex are now willing to make light of the massacre with a special server for subscribers to relive the events. You can play on either the oldschool 2007scape version or the current modern version of Runescape. Both servers kicked off with an invitation to a house party, which has now degraded into complete chaos as a giant Durial321 appears randomly in the city of Falador. His appearance signals the ability to attack anyone. Between appearances, some players have reported being transformed against their will into the fabled killer, describing a compulsion to kill… everything…

We here at Rock, Paper, Shotgun would recommend you stay far away from World 666 and World 111. But if you’re a Runescape subscriber and feel like reveling in the most tragic chapter of the game’s long history, we can’t stop you.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Sir_Deimos says:

How come there’s no words on the new Chronicles Runescape Legends? It’s actually quite good!

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I came here to ask if anyone had any opinions on it. Care to elaborate on what makes it quite good?

• Sir_Deimos says:

Sure, I’ll give some thoughts. Honestly though, it’s free to play so I’d say the best thing to do is play through the tutorial and a couple NPC games – it gives a great introduction to the systems while letting your mind run with possibilities before even looking at the card list. If something doesn’t click in the first half hour, it’s not going to.

First of all, even though it plays very different from Hearthstone, it scratches that same itch and easily replaced it as my game to play while watching TV/YouTube. I really enjoy how structured it is (5 chapters, each with 4 phases, ensuring no game is more than 10-15 minutes) and the amount of strategy involved. As someone who doesn’t particularly enjoy PvP, it’s a really nice middle ground where you and your rival are trying to beat eachother, but it’s a perfectly viable tactic to focus on buffing yourself instead of directly attacking them. It almost reminds me of the old cartoon Wacky Racers – you’re both racing on the same track, trying to screw eachother over but instead of trying to win the race, you’re trying to be in the best shape at the finish line.

It would have been really easy to make a simple card battler like everyone else, but JaGEx went for something different and I think it really payed off. You get card types (pirates, calphites, undead, etc) that define your deck and make interesting combos, but it flat out won’t work if you don’t play the cards right. Granted, playing the right cards depends on drawing the right cards, so there’s some randomness to it, but that’s what makes it interesting. You’re always thinking along the lines of “I could play this monster now and take some damage, but maybe I’ll draw a weapon next chapter” or “if I trade health for armor, I can heal it later but if they hit me hard enough I could lose”. That’s much better strategy than “I just gotta survive until I draw X, then they’re screwed”.

2. Wagrid says:

Oh fuck, I remember this happening. It seemed like the biggest deal in the world.

IIRC, I was between Falador and the Barbarian Village when the rollback hit. I lost an attack level.

Runescape wasn’t the best MMO in the world, but it felt like a huge deal back then. All my friends played it (because we couldn’t afford to play WoW – it would have been all of our pocket money and we were also Warhammer 40k nerds). I think I last played it, I dunno 2010 maybe?

3. Artificial says:

What memories. Such fond times were had in this game, even though I wasted a lot of my life on it.

4. Distec says:

Events like this and WoW’s “Corrupted Blood” fiasco are unintentionally glorious when they occur. I’m sure they’re frustrating to many players, but at least they impart a sense of severity you don’t get from endless dungeon runs and spamming chat all day.

• MrFinnishDude says:

I read a scientific article once about how Cursed Blood fiasco could teach us about the dynamics of real life pandemics.
      Such strange events, it was only in a video game but 10 years onward they are still remembered.