Watch Dogs 2 Announcement Announced, Teaser Teased

Ubisoft today announced the formal announcement of Watch Dogs 2 [official site], a sequel to their open-world crime simulator about a magical hacking telephone. They also released a trailer teasing the release of a trailer. What do we know about the announcement of Watch Dogs 2? It will be livestreamed at 6pm CEST (5pm UK time, 12pm EST, 9am PDT). What do we know about Watch Dogs 2 itself? Its hacking is also a bit silly, and its protagonist also has terrible dress sense. Observe:

Not much to go on, I know. This is E3 season, baby!

The first Watch Dogs was a mess, yeah? The rubbish plot bears the traces of a thousand cuts and rewrites, its tone is all over the place, it’s repetitive, and those first gameplay demonstrations were wildly misleading even for games. But I think that was partly down to its tortured development, which spanned two console generations and clearly changed direction a few times. With Watch Dogs out of the way (and, seemingly, uncledad Aiden Pearce too), maybe Ubi now have a clearer idea of what to make from the start. They’ve certainly had a lot more practise making open-world games.

But really, what’s up with that awful outfit? I already want to dislike its protagonist. Rumour says this leak gave a look at him. Oof. Still, at least that fella’s no uncledad.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Anthile says:

Awful outfit? It’s really more iconic, if you ask me.

2. yogibbear says:

You know what would be an awesome stealth game idea to you know rival these Ass Creed etc. boredom fests. A Faceless Men game. DO IT!

3. Monggerel says:

Watch Dogs: the game that can’t quite decide if your protagonist’s motivational woman is his wife or his sister!

• Monggerel says:

Oh. That’s what “Uncledad” was referring to. I’m a dumbass!

AutonomyLost says:

Haha. I had to go over that word a few times myself, as I was wondering “why have I never heard of that particular adjective?”

Then I remembered the plot setup and it all came together. Duh, me.

4. lglethal says:

I’m going to put my hand up here. I REALLY ENJOYED Watch_Dogs!

I didnt think the plot was any sillier then any action film made in the last 20 years and in fact covered topics that I cant remember any other AAA game covering, well ever. From people trafficking, to mental illness, to sexual exploitation, it covered them and in my opinion covered them well.

For me, Watch_Dogs was basically an action film as a game, and I played it that way and had a great time. Sure Aiden Pearce is quite obviously a sociopath (one minute crying over his niece, the next minute (literally) making plans to “silence” someone for having seen his face), and is a completely unsympathetic character, but just about all the other characters came off as actual people, and not caricatures. The relationship to his sister, and the early dynamic with Clara were done excellently in my opinion.

No doubt, others will disagree, and I’ll be derided for my opinion, but I really dont get why we continually hold up our games and say that have to be better/smarter then a “simple” action film. If I’m enjoying it, who cares?

• J. Cosmo Cohen says:

I bought it for $9 and loved it. In fact, I still play around with it. The low price and the extreme hate towards it surely affected my enjoyment (as in, I had very low expectations). I’m pretty excited about the sequel.

• Guy Montag says:

No derision here, but plenty of disagreement. See, I also (somewhat) enjoyed it as a dumb action game, but it was trying so hard to not be that, at which it spectacularly failed. There’s plenty of room for simpler stories out there (I’ve yet to play it, but I understand the new DOOM was built specifically like that), but Ubi open world games are continuously trying to reach above and failing to get a hold, and frequently misunderstanding their own stated themes. It’s to the point where I just attempt to turn Ubisoft stories into white noise, if I’m convinced to buy one of their games based on mechanics.

• grimdanfango says:

From what I’ve read of DOOM, far from being a “simple” story – the cool thing they’ve apparently pulled off is not just to have a genuinely decently written and interesting backstory for once, but to then have a primary protagonist who shows willful contempt and disinterest for that backstory whenever it crops up. I’ve yet to play it, but it sounds like a glorious reversal of the usual self serious droning mass of tedious audio-logs and attempts at injecting emotional resonance into games where you otherwise slaughter countless waves of nameless baddies.

• Etsu says:

I really like Watch Dogs, as a game and as a plot, and don’t really share popular opinions regarding it. I also don’t understand why people was disappointed for the gameplay not being as good as the promotional videos or whatever. I didn’t see anything in the videos that wasn’t there, in the final game.

Yes, of course I would make changes, but we are all critics so is to be expected. (The driving mechanics, particularly the control of the camera, were less than ideal for example.) However, the stealth mechanics, the graphics, the brilliant animations, the voice acting, all of that and more was really beautiful… I think is an exceptional game and people were maybe a little too harsh with their reaction toward it.

• Nucas says:

i rather liked it. i thought the mission structure was varied (i liked the jason-bourne-waterloo-station-esque scene of escourting a criminal through a crowd of hostiles using security cameras and a telephone and it had a suitably long campaign, a rarity these days. i even liked pearce’s brood max payne style “everything i try to fix falls to ruin” arc. even the villain Iraq was unique.

this constant mock derision of the game, like it’s some open and acknowledge fact that it was terrible, is one of the internet’s most pervasive and annoying circlejerks.

• Henke says:

Oh thank goodness, other people who liked Watch_Dogs as well! Let us all huddle together so that we may survive the harsh conditions of this comments section. The Gang Hideout missions were fun and Aiden’s coat looked really cool when he rode a motorcycle, didn’t it? Yes, yes it did. And it’s ok to think so!

Harlander says:

I had fun with Watch_Dogs too, but it was absolutely less than the sum of its parts.

zigguratvertigo says:

How can that guy see what he’s doing?

basilisk says:

I’ll never get tired of saying this: Assassin’s Creed was a flawed game with potential, and Assassin’s Creed 2 was great. Watch_Dogs was a flawed game with potential, so… maybe it can happen again?

AutonomyLost says:

I’m personally hoping so. I badly wanted to enjoy the first game and just couldn’t, and have heard the sentiment you just expressed many times since the inevitable sequel has been murmured about. I’m cautiously optimistic.

• Buggery says:

Watch Doges had some interesting ideas wrapped in Ubisoft not really knowing how to make them the focus of a game – so they gave up and made a third person shooter. The plot was an awful mess and there were some very silly bugs. Some of the minigames you could “purchase” from street vendors were more fun than the base game.

On the other hand, some of the design was cool and it’s conceivable that they have figured out that they need to make hacking the main focus. It could be fun. Hopefully.

7. Etsu says:

I like Watch Dogs but the character model on that teaser look a bit odd and low resolution, and those hands seem to be made of rubber due to the animations. Weird.

8. Farsearcher says:

Hopefully it’ll be the Assassin’s Creed 1 to 2 situation. The first game was a tech demo for them to experiment with stuff and get an idea of what they’re doing, the second they’ll hopefully figure out how to make a game out of it.

9. SaintAn says:

I’m announcing now that later I’m going to announce that I’m passing on this game because the first game was garbage. Tune in at 6 CEST for the announcement!

10. AngoraFish says:

Wasn’t RPS supposed to have banned reporting of teaser announcements teasing future actual announcements?

Or am I misremembering that?

Two bursts of free publicity for the price of one!

11. Kollega says:

The trailer with its fuzzy swirls on the screen reminded me of Weird Al’s “Foil” more than anything. Even if, considering the game’s plot and premise, “Party at the CIA” would’ve been a lot more appropriate.

12. NephilimNexus says:

“Nothing ever gets so bad that it can’t get any worse.”

13. kap42 says:

I would love it if they fixed the sound problems in the first one before moving on to a new one :-(

14. tonicer says: