Blizzard: WoW, Overwatch, HotS And More Getting Facebook Login And Livestream Options

Blizzard have announced that players will be able to use their Facebook login for Blizzard’s PC games starting later in June. Blizzard and Facebook have an ongoing collaboration but this will be the first time players can use their Facebook accounts to sign up or sign in to games like World of Warcraft and Overwatch.

Additionally, the companies will be adding the ability for players to use Facebook’s native streaming technology to livestream their sessions to their Facebook timelines.

This doesn’t surprise me because Facebook are actively seeking ways to keep people within their ecosystem. Streaming is part of that, as is instant articles, as is the thing where they’re prioritising their native videoplayer (and trying to minimise Google-owned YouTube presence).

Are you going to use it, though?

Perhaps I’m asking the wrong people. Presumably PC gamers who are already playing the games and have a Battle.net ID are unlikely to switch to using a Facebook login, but the streaming stuff might be of interest?

I absolutely refuse to hand Facebook any more of my data. It gets enough from me using it as a basic social network and to do the things I need to do for the official RPS page [WHICH IS HERE, BY THE WAY BECAUSE I’M NOT ABOVE GIVING IT A SHAMELESS PLUG]. I mean, I’d actually prefer to pay money for services and eliminate the ability for those services to use my data beyond a minimum level but, in a world where that’s not possible, I try not to give one company too much. I guess that’s as stupid as saying I try to only do a small amount of bloodletting and I don’t want one leech getting fatter than all the others.

Also, my dad once told me off on my Facebook timeline for using a swear in an article I’d written so I have no idea how he would react to a livestream of a frustrating game.

Here’s part of the press release. It’s kind of dry and marketing-y but worth reading because I think it’s important to know how these services are being used to target consumers. You might like that idea because you get tailored services instead of a scattershot approach to products, or you might find it insidious and creepy. Maybe both.

“As part of the collaboration between the two companies, Blizzard recently hosted multiple livestreams via Facebook. The first series of streams centered on Heroes of the Dorm™, Blizzard’s collegiate tournament featuring its popular team-brawler Heroes of the Storm. Last week, Blizzard hosted a livestreamed launch event for Overwatch on Facebook.

“‘Blizzard has a passionate community of players, and an incredible track record for launching innovative and high-quality gaming experiences,’ said Leo Olebe, global games partnerships director at Facebook. ‘Our collaboration on Overwatch demonstrates Facebook’s commitment to partnering with AAA game companies, while further empowering Blizzard gamers to connect and share the content they’re most passionate about with the friends they play with around the world.’

“In preparation for the Overwatch launch, Facebook worked with Blizzard on a comprehensive mix of Facebook and Instagram marketing solutions—including Carousel ads, Canvas, and Instagram Marquee. Using the platforms’ powerful targeting capabilities, Facebook helped Blizzard present the game to a broad set of gaming and entertainment audiences within Facebook’s and Instagram’s global audiences of 1.65 billion and 400 million people respectively. On Facebook, more than 650 million people play games connected to Facebook every month across web, mobile, and console.”

Something I am interested in as Facebook/Blizzard push this streaming side of things is how the moderation does/will work. I hate using streaming services with a chat option because moderation is a thorny issue. At this point, I’d rather not have to deal with it personally so I just don’t stream. I wonder if Facebook are doing anything interesting on that front?

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. tonicer says:

That’s it … bye Blizzard. I will never buy another Blizzard game again. Bookface is grade-a internetcancer and no one should support companies that endorse it.

• mechanixis says:

If that’s the hill you want to die on, I guess.

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

He says, wearing clothes and shoes made by children, typing on a keyboard made from unrecycled plastic, connected to a computer containing circuits built by suicidal labourers.

• Don Reba says:

Ha! Joke’s on you, I’m stark naked and dictating to my secretary.

• Emeraude says:

I really dislike that fallacy that just because other – even if far more pressing – issues exists, one shouldn’t try to tackle the smaller issues that matter to one.

That’s how communities deal with problems: some people care, and when enough do, the would-be-problem gets addressed. Sometimes even before we have the displeasure of it becoming an actual big issue. When we’re lucky.

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

I have no problem with recognizing pressing issues which exist in the world. What does irritate me though is the way with which said issues are sometimes put forward. Also annoying is when someone says ‘you shouldn’t do that, you’re wrong if you do’ while indulging in their own brand of hypocrisy. There is no need to imply automatic judgement on anyone else based on their difference in opinion.

Basically the post was fine until “Bookface is grade-a internetcancer and no one should support companies that endorse it”.

• QSpec says:

Maybe we should be less judgemental in general, but you’re on the wrong side of this one.

If he’s right that Facebook is an unethical internet cancer that should be completely cut out, then that’s the point that needs arguing. It doesn’t matter if he eats meat, hates minorities, or collects blood diamonds.

Hell, it isn’t even hypocritical depending on your beliefs regarding vegetarianism, racism, and De Beers.

The upshot of your statement is actually quite horrifying… if you act unethically, you have no say in something ethical? Come on… maybe a dude steps out on his wife and kid, does that mean he’s not free to be a pacifist? Should all of his morality *necessarily* be thrown out because he was a piece of shit in one area of his life? Obviously not.

• ButteringSundays says:

Yea! I mean how can they care about something when there are other things you could care about? I personally don’t care about anything other than the ultimate collapse of the universe, anything else is a waste of my caring quota.

teije says:

So, your suggestion is to boycott all companies (and persons too I presume) with a Facebook presence? That’s going to cut down on your interactions with the world considerably. Which maybe is the goal.

• ButteringSundays says:

I can’t answer for OP but there’s quite a big difference between maintaining a presence and encouraging usage.

Companies that encourage or insist on using Facebook logins are generally trying to gain access to your and everyone you know’s personal data. Those maintaining a presence are merely making sure people know they exist.

I’m not personally going to boycot anyone that offers Facebook login as an option, but it’ll definitely tarnish my opinion of them. And if it’s a requirement then it’s a nonstarter, because I closed my account 5 years ago.

• QSpec says:

>And if it’s a requirement then it’s a nonstarter, because I closed my account 5 years ago.

Three years here… healthiest thing I ever did. I literally miss nothing about it too.

• Emeraude says:

I’m kinda surprised at the idea that Battle.net was deemed acceptable, but Facebook isn’t.

We all have our lines not to be crossed though.

• thelastpointer says:

>Bookface is grade-a internetcancer
      That’s some fine 4chan wisdom right there.

Just out of curiosity, which is the problematic part: Blizzard somehow knowing which bands you liked on Facebook, or Facebook somehow knowing how many XP you have in Diablo?

2. Assirra says:

As long as it ain’t forced i don’t really care.

3. YogSo says:

So, there was this big uproar a few years ago when Blizzard was trying to force everyone to drop anonymity and start using their real lives IDs. As I understand it, they had to backtrack and that system (Battle.net’s Real ID) is still optional, and players can choose not to use it, for a number of very valid reasons. Cue some years later, and Blizzard have figured out that most players are idiots that will hang themselves out voluntarily if they are just handed the rope in a silver plate.

4. ButteringSundays says:

Well who wouldn’t want to give as much personal data to Blizzard as possible?

Seriously why is anyone still using Facebook? Last I’d heard the mum’s had taken over anyway.

5. Zankman says:

Heh, look at that header image and tell me that they aren’t using Tracer for sex-sells tactics.

They’re even quite blunt about it.

6. thelastpointer says:

That’s not actually a bad idea; I can see it take off if it means it’s easier to share your live sessions. Would be more interesting than most of my notifications anyway.

However, care must be taken to prevent bullying and abuse. If there’s a way to reach strangers’ FB accounts after an Overwatch match, then it’s a disaster waiting to happen.

Disclaimer: I haven’t played Blizzard games since a long time, so I don’t know how toxic the community is.

• Zankman says:

During a (relatively) recent Heartstone event Twitch chat REALLY wanted you to know that one of the players was black.

So, the community just has a lot of immature people with a small amount of legitimately toxic/hurtful people.

7. thedosbox says:

Be wary of websites that integrate facebook logins – it can be difficult to tell whether they’re legit or not:

link to adamcaudill.com

8. TWChristine says:

So does this mean when your WoW account inevitably gets hacked that your Facebook one does as well?

9. It's not me it's you says:

I don’t really understand who this is for. FB is where you share what little of your life can be shared across a broad spectrum – your family, your friends and maybe some colleagues. You’re telling me there’s people who would happily put their video games on blast to literally everyone, regardless of the social circle they know them in?

It’s the weirdest sort of digital exhibitionism.

• thelastpointer says:

I thought it would be more like posting your stuff in specialized groups — ‘Friends who play Diablo’ or generic ‘Share your stream’ groups.

I realize I’m trying very hard to be optimistic here, I recall memories of countless people with Candy Crush invites…