Perfectly Spherical Balls: Fifa 17 Moves To Frostbite

Football finally stopped recently, when Pepe’s Injured Aura and the rest of the plucky Real Madrid scrappers won the Champions League in a penalty shoot-out. It all starts again on Friday, of course, with the first game of Euro 2016, but football definitely stopped for a minute there. It might have been a half a minute if you’re interested in the Copa América, which kicked off the weekend just gone.

The point is, football never stops for long and EA know that, which is why they’re already teasing next season’s FIFA [official site]. Big changes may be afoot, as the game is moving to DICE’s Frostbite engine. Destructible pitches incoming?

Do people really say “football never changes?” I’ve heard it said about war but anyone who argues that football is unchangeable should trot off and read Jonathan Wilson’s Inverting the Pyramid (I’m fairly sure I recommend it at least once a year ’round these parts). FIFA has certainly changed a lot recently – just ask the FBI.

FIFA 17’s changes won’t be fully revealed until June 12th, presumably during EA’s E3 extravaganza, which I’ll be covering live, but this little teaser confirms the move to the Frostbite engine. Hopefully that means there’ll be some major changes. I quite enjoyed last year’s offering but didn’t stick with it for very long and if Pro Evo’s return to grace isn’t short-lived, FIFA is going to need to put in a lot of extra work at the training ground to keep up with its rival.

Since there’s not a lot of game to think about here, I’m caught up thinking about how early the coverstars are signed. Presumably they knew they were going to have Hazard front and centre and were slightly dismayed when Chelsea’s season unraveled and the young star performed below the standards expected. But did they have Mourinho signed up for the voiceover because of the Chelsea connection? Is that one of the reasons Manchester United’s Martial has been given prominence in a teaser trailer, to make Mourinho seem slightly more appropriate after his sacking and job switch?

Football is mostly about lawyers, sackings, transfers and media appearances. Occasionally somebody kicks a ball.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. gpown says:

One of my favourite books! Its depiction of the British mentality scattered across all those little stories (“if we ban hacking, some Frenchman will be able to come here and defeat us using SKILL! and we aren’t having any of that!”) was wonderful.

2. Legion1183 says:

Frostbitten perfectly spherical balls – ouch!

Also, football! Yay!

3. Alberto says:

I want a Truly Realistic Football Simulator with tax fraud, dope, Real State scandals, bribes to politicians, racist songs in every match, police charges when fans riot, and hatespeech against basically any other sports team.

Why doesn’t any football videogame do this? They break my inmersion with all that silly skill and fair play rules!

Also, +100€ sports clothing made in sweatshops and store management as dlc.

4. CurseYouAll says:

Interesting. But new engine or not, at the end of the day gameplay is what matters. And there PES is king.

• sg1969 says:

while I agree that gameplay is the most important (or fun, if you prefer), I also think it’s important to consider the playerbase if you’re into online matches. And i think Fifa has a bigger playerbase at the moment.

5. ChromeBallz says:

Lol! Loading time extravaganzza!

6. Umberto Bongo says:

If it had Gang Beasts style player and ball physics then I’d play this.

7. Zankman says:

I do wonder what changes the new Engine will bring.

Andy_Panthro says:

I’m still waiting on the announcement that PES & FIFA will become free-to-play, given how much they prioritise their respective “MyClub” and “Ultimate Team”.

It seems the single-player bits that I prefer tend to get much more limited attention than the multiplayer parts.

• malih says:

I really like FIFA Player Career mode and PES Become a Legend mode, it’s RPG except you’re not killing monsters, but winning games instead. It’s shame they choose to focus less on these and more on the free-to-play-like part.

But then again they’re EA.

9. Koozer says:

I have discovered the only possible reason for me to read a football related article:

Where’s me Staring Eyes tag??

10. G_Man_007 says:

Football… Football never changes…

11. Waltorious says:

The football will never stop.