Steam Charts: Further Adventures In Firearms & Fantasy

It’s yer regular round-up of what shifted the most copies on Steam over the previous week. Last week, Total Warhammer was dark master of all it surveyed, but a bug-eyed old friend has displaced it after just one week…

1. Grand Theft Auto V

Rockstar’s undying loot’n’sadism sim spent the first week of June discounted by a third (it’s back up to full whack now, I’m afraid), and somehow the twelve people who didn’t already own it were sufficient to push it back to number one. This was ahead of today’s release of the Further Adventures In Finance and Felony DLC for GTA Online. I like the way the title suggests they’re just going to keep on cranking that handle.

2. Total War: WARHAMMER

Last week’s number one slips a place, but Sega have declared that it “broke franchise records” in its first week on sale so I doubt they’re too grumpy. Expect a steady stream of DLC soon. Where them Skaven at?

3. Total War: WARHAMMER

The reason for the two seperate entries is that, up until mid-way through last week, buying Total Warhammer also nabbed you the Chaos Warriors DLC (as revieworised by Adam here). These days it’s a separate £6 purchase however, and the number 3 entry here reflects sales of the parent game once the offer had expired. SO NOW YOU KNOW.

4. DOOM

I still get the warm and fuzzies whenever DOOM is mentioned. I really must make time to go and punish myself in Nightmare mode.

5. Youtubers Life

Literally anything I might say about this will only make me sound like a frightened old man. Go read about Pip playing it instead.

56 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

It puts a sentence about CSGO in the CMS or it gets the hose again.

7. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Discounts!

8. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt – Blood and Wine

Discounts! (Also please see review here k thx.)

9. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Game + Expansion Pass

DISCOUNTS!

10. Steam Controller

Valve’s unlovely but hugely customisable controller was 30% off for much of last week in honour of its one-year anniversary. Valve recently put out a post detailing the many software updates and tweaks added since release, and it turned out that a whole load of people still wanted to find out if it really could do the mouse-meets-gamepad thing. I admit, I haven’t used mine for quite some time so can’t speak to whether the upgrades have done much – but there’s a reason I haven’t used mine for quite some time, which is that I wanted to fire the cheap-feeling, disconcertingly-buzzing oddity into the sun whenever I did.

From this site

1. Dwarph says:

I kind of really love my steam controller. But maybe that’s because I’ve never owned a 360 pad and went from an old logitech pad to it. Hmm.

• slerbal says:

I’m looking forward to receiving mine. Once they allowed you to be able to configure the controller in desktop mode as well as Big Picture, I was sold. Plus I recently started playing the Sorcery! games with my wife in the sitting room with Steam Streaming and suddenly I see why it is cool :D

• gunny1993 says:

It’s a great piece of kit, i’ve been using mine to play emulated PS2 games, takes a fair amount of setting twiddling on a per game basis, and so far i’ve not got a setup I like for shooters, mostly because going from a mouse to a controller is a massive step down and then going to a steam controller is a massive step in a completely different direction.

• Carr0t says:

Wait, they allow that? I’ve not managed to find out how yet…

hemmer says:

I still use my PS3 controllers for pretty much everything and am happy as can be. Scarlet.Crush’s drivers have made it the most painless experience I’ve hever had with any pad. It just works, always, with everything, without me every having to configure anything seperately. (which is saying something from someone who emulates a shit-ton of old consoles)

That said, I’ve never been a fan of the big hunky controllers so I’m probably not the target audience anyway. People not only have different preferences but also different hands! Which is something I feel gets lost a lot in (frankly rather pointless) discussions about “best controller is clearly herpderp”.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

It comes down to whether you like holding the controller with your fingers or with your palm. The Dualshocks are much more comfortable if you hold them with your fingers. The button and stick layout is much better on the DS than the Xbox controllers, too.

• Blasteras says:

I fucked your online! You Rockstar put a lot of lawlessness BAN – fake BAN, players are not to blame!
      Fuck you with your game and Dirty online!
      Give me my money back or I will catch you and shoot you for fucking your mother, will send to the light!!!

• mechavolt says:

Same boat, was using a Logitech F310 or whatever and switched to a Steam controller. It’s a little heavier, but far more customizable. My only gripe is that the trackpad is *still* not good enough for FPS games, where I go back to K+M.

• exile2k4 says:

I love my Steam controller too, and I do own a 360 controller – it definitely takes a bit of customisation for each game to get the best out of it, but I really enjoy using it once I’ve done that. Loved it for Dark Souls, Invisible Inc, XCOM – pretty much everything except for FPS games.

I do remember thinking it felt cheap when I first picked it up, and I’d still rather clicking with the shoulder buttons and trackpads felt a little crisper, but it’s really grown on me.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I’m hoping they make a v2.0 with a little bit better build quality.

2. gunny1993 says:

I would like for their to be a preimuim version of the steam controller, the thing is incredibly well built but the plastic feels cheap, not a massive issue if you’re able to adapt, but I’d gladly pay an extra 20 quid for some more quality materials.

Also you can turn the haptics off or onto low, which is what I do, cos I feel they cheaped out on the vibration machine.

3. Ross Angus says:

10. Steam Controller

… reminds me of:

We all remember last year’s fiasco, when the Post Office Tower spent six consecutive weeks at number one.

link to dailymotion.com

4. Rosti says:

Man, I’d forgotten that line! Time to listen to Little Mouse for 3 hours and make some time later in the week to rewatch the series.

• Rosti says:

And yes, this was intended to be a reply to Ross Angus, above. I am good at internets!

“On Topic”: I’ve found the Steam Controller to be a useful companion. I’ve been able to enjoy low pressure mouse-driven-with-light-keyboard games like FTL and Invisible Inc. without needing to be at a desk, and with time taken to tinker it can give any control scheme a run for it’s money.
      There’s the rub, though. It only works if you’re willing to put time into it. I have a Helldivers profile I’ve been tweaking for a while now and whilst it’s great, there are evenings where I mostly tinker on, say, how to smoothly transition into an optimised mech-piloting control scheme.

• Ross Angus says:

“Next week, we will look at … Reggae.”

5. Blackcompany says:

“Further adventures in Firearms and Fantasy.”

And herein lies my biggest problem with gaming of late: this title pretty much sums up the medium lately.

We rarely escape fantasy games based on some romanticized version of a horrible period in Western history. And when we do go somewhere else – Space,Dtstooua, Post Apocalyptica – it’s to shoot at and kill whatever we come across.

I think of shows like Torchwood and Doctor Who, and even Firefly and the Twilight Zone. Sure, there are violent solutions in those shows sometimes. But so often there aren’t. So often there’s a genuine sense of wonder and discovery.

Game developers love to flap jaws about this industry growing up. OK.

Let’s see you just once create something that engenders feelings like Torchwood did when Jack found that captured alien being used for meat. Or how about the time The Doctor discovered the Devil on an asteroid. Or The Girl in the Fireplace…

Gaming talks about growing up. Blathers on about it even. Then it hands you another gun or sword, waves you off and says, “Crikey, I don’t know. Go kill some things while I gave a good long think about it, why don’t you?”

It’s really sort of getting tired.

• Blackcompany says:

Ugh. Autocorrect again.

That was: Space, Dystopia or Post Apocalyptica.

Qazinsky says:

Wait, wait. It autocorrected TO Dtstooua?

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Man, if you don’t know what a Dtstooua is at this point you’ll never know.

• lglethal says:

I can see what your saying, but I think there’s a greater range of choice out there now, then there was in the past. I can think of a number of games I’ve played recently which gave you the option to play through completely non-violently (Deus Ex:HR, Thief), and others where most of the time you could play through non-violently (Rise of the Tomb Raider, Watch_Dogs, LA Noire). Go back 10 years and the option wouldn’t have even been there.

So I think the options are coming, it’s maybe that we’re just not fully there yet.

It could also be that it’s harder to maintain a sense of wonder in a single extra long story (across an entire game – say 20 hours) compared to a 30 minute TV episode without that sense of conflict. And the easiest way to do conflict in a game is with violence. I don’t know, just thinking out loud…

• Blackcompany says:

I think I did a typo first time…

Good points. Very good points.

One if which raises the question of focus in modern gaming. Do games last too long? Are devs more focused on Quantity over quality? (Other than Ubi and Bethesda I mean; I KNOW they are).

I don’t have a solution. Heck, maybe I just need to do more digging where games are concerned. Look a little harder for alternatives to major releases (like I did for ETS2/ATS) and get away from recommended lists…

Thanks for chiming in. Made me think some…

gritz says:

Maybe on the top 10 charts (even then you have Youtuber Life), but I don’t think there’s ever been a period in gaming history with more unique and varied experiences available on demand.

Just look at some of the posts on RPS these last couple days: American Truck Simulator, Va-11 Hall-A, ProjectorFace, YookaLaylee, Oxenfree, The Witness, Hearts of Iron. PC Gaming is currently littered with non-manshoot non-swordguy experiences, and they’re not exactly hard to find.

• AngoraFish says:

Dude, Sol Trader, released today. Get it.

6. XxBrentos9xX says:

“It puts a sentence about CSGO in the CMS or it gets the hose again.”

Thanks, made my day. You’re not the only one who wishes CSGO would GO away.

phuzz says:

Is the mere fact of it’s existence that offensive? It’s not like it’s showing up everywhere, all the time any more (that position is currently reserved for Overwatch), so what’s CSGO doing that annoys you so much?

7. larpsidekick says:

“Where the Skaven at?”

Well, a certain growth reducing event has a major ratty hint in it, such that I will be unamused if it isn’t followed up on…

8. Blastaz says:

That is, hands down, the best bum in the Witcher.

The textures on that statute are ridiculous!