Hack The Planet: Watch Dogs 2 Coming November 15th

Watch Dogs 2 [official site] will come out on November 15th, Ubisoft declared today, formally announcing the open-world crime simulator. It’s jetting off to the sunny San Francisco Bay Area and it… looks fun? Not simply fun-to-play fun, but actually having a sense of a fun, with colours and people who look like they’re having fun and no moody uncledads anywhere in sight. Here, jack into this announcement vid-o-rama:

So! Watch Dogs 2 introduces Marcus Holloway, a young hacker who joins the Dedsec hacktivisit collective after being incorrectly profiled by the city-controlling ctOS computer system. So sure, then he starts actually doing crimes, hacking computers, parkouring over rooftops, flying drones, shooting 3D-printed guns, and twatting people with a pool ball on a string. Take that, The Man!

What else is new? He gets to play with a remote-controlled car and quadcopter, remote-control actual cars with his computer, zap people nonlethally with a zapgun, and parkour way better than old Aiden. Ubisoft speak a lot about making the city feel more alive, which is good news for an open-world game.

I like that Ubisoft’s research into hackers appears to have been watching the peerless Hackers a dozen times. Yeah man, hackers are wild punks with rude ‘tude and they parkour all over the place. It’s so goofy and I’m so into it. Of course, the danger is that they’re taking this seriously but… surely not? They do know how fun and silly this is, don’t they? They must. Oh god, what if we’re meant to take this story of hacktivists and profiling seriously? No, surely not. The pre-order bonus is a mission with a Zodiac Killer copycat, for goodness’ sake. I can’t tell you how much I’ve wanted a Hackers game.

HACK THE PLANET!

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. MuscleHorse says:

I got all excited about this when I first heard about it because I was thinking of Sleeping Dogs :(

2. removeme says:

Oh great!
    Now I’m going to be profiled for me nickname:

Cue Ball.

3. Zanchito says:

Can we expect a fine game? I like AssCreedy games, and I like hacking culture, but the original looked a bit meh. Never got around to playing it, really.

• Jediben says:

Original is 10 quid on steam right now.

Nauallis says:

I guess that’s one way to answer it, how much it is X years after original release.

• DuncUK says:

I’m still waiting for it to hit the £5 mark, I want to play around with its hacking systems (which I suspect will be disappointing) but can’t really be bothered with the main game.

What I really want from a game like this is something like ‘else heart.break()’ hacking capability with the reprogramming aspect dumbed down somewhat to a GUI format.

else heart.break() was a fun sandbox but a somewhat broken game, I suspect the weight of a built in scripting engine which also powered much of the game was too much for one man to debug. It was fairly straightforward to turn yourself into a teleporting god, but could I find out what I was actually supposed to do? Hell no. I never even met my supposed employer in the first act of the game.

However, I still love the idea of a game where there’s code of some sort everywhere that can be altered to achieve whatever mischief you desire in a big sandbox universe (real life lol). I want something a bit more advanced than a “hack” button. Let me feel like an actual hacker.

• Louis Mayall says:

I had a similar experience of else.Heartbreak(). I loved it, and the art style and the characters, but eventually having no map and no journal or anything meant i kept feeling like I was missing whole chunks of game. I have never wanted to get into a game so bad, but I’ve still never quite managed it. We definitely need something between the two extremes of hacking as a mechanic

• naetharu says:

If you go into the original with an open mind and clear from the hype that surrounded the original release then its a great game. The writing is a bit dodgy at times,and there is an odd conflict between the main character as an anti-hero on a revenge drive and him wanting to be some kind of knock-off batman. But the game is solid, the world is quite interesting and the powers feel cool to play with.

• SpitefulHammer says:

Agreed. I only very recently played it and I have to say, it’s one of the few recent ubisoft titles that I like. Though I stopped playing after I finished the gang hideout missions. Didn’t really take to the main story so much.

• lglethal says:

It’s well worth your time. The story is interesting, the game play is very fun, and the online invasions are extremely original and very, very fun to play. I had a great time with the game.

Ubisoft massively overhyped the game and tried to sell it as something it really wasn’t. And so it got really bad reviews at the time of release, but when you look at the game without paying attention to the hype, you get a fun to play, really interesting world, with a lot of tools which make the experience nice and orginal.

I recommend you give it a try! :)

• AlexW says:

I feel like describing W_D1’s story as ‘interesting’ is disingenuous, because it is one of the best examples around of the worst design-by-committee and awful ‘fix it in post’ script-writing. Things like “Man, our hero just throttled a woman, we should have her call him after the FMV and agree with him throttling her, to take away the guilt,” and “Oh man, our hero just got a guy thrown out a window! Quick, have him call the hero and say ‘I’m okay, I’m totally not dead,’ we can’t get the FMV fixed at this point!”

The gameplay is functional, though. It’s an alright GTA clone in which the Use key has been replaced with the Hack key. It invalidates most of the gunplay tension by giving you a grenade launcher the first time you go to a gun shop, but the core gameplay works well enough for the amount of time the game lasts.

• lglethal says:

I would definitely go with the writing being interesting! How many other games even bring up the topics of human trafficking, sexual exploitation and mental illness (just to name a few of the really interesting topics it discussed)?

Yeah there is some dodgy writing around Aiden, but the relationships to other characters, for me at least, felt quite genuine. I liked where the story went – it’s an action film as game, and I enjoy it as that. Just as I don’t expect Die Hard to be a critique of international corporate culture, I don’t expect Watch_Dogs to win the Pulitzer prize. But saying that, it still was better writing then most AAA games out there, and at least they were willing to bring up topics, most others would have shied away from…

• Zanchito says:

Thanks everybody for your varied and well explained opinions!

• Unclepauly says:

I completely disagree with calling people company shills in online discussions.

4. criskywalker says:

It’s great that there are finally dogs in this game! But are they watch dogs?

Anyway at least it seems like a decent game this time, just like AssCreed 2 is better than AssCreed. I hope they really managed to make it fun and to make non-letal playthrough really possible.

5. GameCat says:

Kinda liked this trailer. It looks like something made in Fox Engine (MGS5) and like something which will be downgraded graphically as hell with each released gameplay footage.

6. CelticPixel says:

I’m blowin’ up! *checks pager*

7. Person of Interest says:

“Sunny” San Francisco, you say? At least the system requirements should be more reasonable this time; what with the fog that typically blankets the city, the draw distances will make Turok fans claustrophobic.

• lylebot says:

Eurogamer used the exact same phrase. I guess if you live in the UK, San Francisco qualifies as “sunny”–it’s maybe slightly less cold and rainy there than London I suppose?

• Alice O'Connor says:

I’ve only go during GDC and it’s always so sunny for March!

I do live in Scotland, mind.

• lglethal says:

Ahh yes, Alice well to explain then – the Sun is the big yellow thing that you see on TV brightening the sky. I know you never get to see it in Scotland but I assure you it does exist and is not merely a fake perpetuated by the movie and television industry… ;) :P

8. Abacus says:

Shaping up to be every bit as iconic as the first one.

• HedgeFrog says:

I sure do hope you can get Aiden Pearce’s iconic cap as a microtransaction. That’d be swell!

9. duns4t says:

Sold at the 5:24 mark of that video – Bushman spotted.

link to en.wikipedia.org

10. yogibbear says:

So can we also expect rollerblading and a cookie monster virus?

11. dkfgo says:

Ubisoft, not even once.

• funderbolt says:

Yeah, I remember when Universal Studios released Howard the Duck. After that I said “never Universal, not even once.” I missed Schindler’s List, Back to the Future, Jurassic Park, Apollo 13, Dracula… totally worth it.

• zbeeblebrox says:

To be fair, if you had instead said “not even once” to George Lucas movies after Howard the Duck, that actually would have worked out quite well for you.

• dkfgo says:

What has Ubisoft published in the last 10 years that you feel is worthy of comparing to Schindler’s List or Back to the Future? Why should I expect something good out of Ubisoft?

12. Jalan says:

Hackers is a film that really doesn’t hold up well these days. Not just for the Hollywood-ized interpretation of what screenwriters want audiences to think hacking involves either.

• Zanchito says:

For some really good hacking fiction, I cannot recommend the TV series “Mr. Robot” emphatically enough. It’s really, really good. Bonus points for being short and to the point.

• Emeraude says:

Thanks for reminding me I really need to give that a more thorough look.

What little I’ve seen of it really bluffed me in how accurately it had captured the spirit of the milieu being described, corporate-wise. At least if my personal experience is to be believed.

• Alice O'Connor says:

This is untrue. Hackers is still near-perfect.

• zbeeblebrox says:

As someone who missed it back in the 90s and only just saw it for the first time about six years ago, I would argue that it actually holds up *better* now than it did originally. Back then, it was so much more closely tied to the state of the art, and I feel like it got quickly derided and lampooned for its failure to grasp how technology works. But now, it’s so far removed from that era, it’s easier to approach it as being to cyberpunk what space opera is to sci fi.

Plus, the opening scene where a SWAT team busts into a hacker’s house is WAY more plausible now. I could imagine a lot of 90s viewers cracking up at that as totally unrealistic. Whereas today, you could point to a dozen news stories of people getting the same treatment for way less than breaking into a government website.

13. tonicer says:

Yeah … i’m gonna go ahead and skip that … why? Ubisoft that’s why! Those lying sons of nice ladies tricked me twice already.

14. Emeraude says:

Minor thing that always irks me with those Watch Dogs pictures is the “magical hacking” stuff.

What database is that evaluation of a drug dealer’s income even from? How was it parsed? By who? To what purpose?

keefybabe says:

OMG SO PUMPED! No, wait, the other thing.

16. Urthman says:

Iconic bandana is iconic.