Deus Ex’s Breach Mode Enlists NeoTokyo Composer

The Official RPS Campaign To Get Billy Idol In Deus Ex gathers momentum. No, Eidos Montreal haven’t yet given a rebel yell confirming ole spiketop’s presence on the soundtrack, but it’s surely a matter of time now I know we’re musically on the same page. You see, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided [official site] has drafted the chap behind the flipping lovely soundtrack for Source mod NeoTokyo.

Ed Harrison is providing ‘tunes’ (and likely some ‘choonz’) for Mankind Divided’s newly-announced leaderboard-climbing cyberspace mode Breach, says a hot new tweet.

Breach, to briefly recap, is a mode separate from the main campaign in Mankind Divided. Popping on the datahat of a leet hacker, players jack into cyberspace to hack the Gibson – by running around shooting cybermen who represent security protocols and whatnot. Success means points and points mean prizes, in the form of upgrades and new loadout options. Here, this explains it all.

That’s what Harrison is musicmaking for. Which I’m jolly excited about, as his work on NeoTokyo is some of my favourite cyberpunky music.

Look, you have to understand: I’m not usually someone who listens to soundtracks outside their home games. The angriest I’ve been in recent years was when I discovered “GIVE CHIPTUNES A CHANCE” scrawled on a bar toilet mirror during GDC.

Listen: the NeoTokyo soundtrack is pretty great.

The NeoTokyo soundtrack is on Soundcloud, Bandcamp, and Spotify. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is due out on August 23rd. There’s still plenty of time to get Billy Idol involved, Eidos Montreal. Tomorrow People for the end credits, I’m telling you.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. DutchLaw says:

Billy Idol? Surely that’s a typo and you’d meant to suggest Sigue Sigue Sputnik? At least they are still releasing and don’t tend to fail at lip-sync’ing!

• Stompywitch says:

Have you never heard Billy Idol’s Cyberpunk album?

You’re so lucky.

2. The Sombrero Kid says:

March 2016:
    “We should spend the next 6 months adding multiplayer and microtransactions to this finished single player game we’re about to release”
    “But no one will play it because you can’t just bolt on multiplayer as an afterthought in 2016!”
    “You’re fired”

August 2016:
    “Why is no one playing the multiplayer or buying the microtransactions we spent 6 months making”
    “Because people bought the game for the single player and 6 months is nowhere near enough time to develop a compelling multiplayer game”
    “You’re fired”

I never asked for this.

3. sfury says:

Sweet! Ed Harrison’s NeoTokyo soundtrack is just pure awesome, my favorite cyberpunk album (and thankfully it’s a double one).

• slerbal says:

Yes. Ed Harrison’s soundtrack is brilliant. I gladly bought it several times to try and encourage him to compose more stuff! :)

caff says:

Totally agree. I bought the soundtrack independently of everything else because someone recommended it. It’s still amongst my top 50 albums of all time, purely because of it’s melody and rhythm.

4. Rosti says:

Hurrah! It’s ‘im wot provided the intro music to the excellent Netrunner podcast Terminal7! Or rather, they pinched a bit from Tin Soldiers in the NeoTokyo OST.

Thanks for the news thinks, though. Reminded me that I need to sit down and listen to the whole album.

• Emeraude says:

Glad I’m not the only one that made the connection… part of my Shaper playlist.

5. dorobo says:

this breach thing.. i think it should take you to knights templar times where you would have a hidden blade and the white hoody for coolness maybe a sword too.

6. TychoCelchuuu says:

Oh boy oh boy oh boy! The NeoTokyo soundtrack is one of the greatest soundtracks of all time. This is exciting!

7. rapchee says:

care to explain why that graffiti made you angry? i’m curious

• Llewyn says:

Because when she looked in the mirror it looked like she had HIP scrawled across her forehead, obviously.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Because somebody erased her “For a good time call…” that she had put up earlier to write that.

8. kud13 says:

The Breach feels suspiciously like an attempt to take IO’s “contracts” idea and wedge it into Deus Ex.

I really don’t care if it’s there or not, as long as I can still unplug my Internet and have the main game not spazz out.

9. Distec says:

A lot of parts in the NeoTokyo soundtrack already sound a lot more DX’ey (and therefore superior) to McCann’s work. They should have just gotten him to do the whole thing IMO.

I also flipped a little bit when reading this post because I thought “Oh shit, Ed Harrison! He did the soundtrack for the old Public Enemy mod for Half-Life!”. Except it turns out I was thinking of a completely different Ed with a completely different last name. Oh well.

10. epmode says:

I kinda want Ed Harrison to do the entire soundtrack. NeoTokyo reaslly is one of the all time best videogame soundtracks.

• epmode says:

“really”. My kingdom for an edit button.

• Catesby says:

Withdraw, epmode; I’ll help you to an edit button.

• icarussc says:

Slave! He’s set his life upon an opinion, and he will stand the hazard of a typo.

11. gabrielonuris says:

Just to make this clear: NeoTokyo isn’t a game with a nice soundtrack, it is the soundtrack that almost has a game with it.

12. hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

It’s criminal not to mention the gorgeous art direction the game has too though. Sure, most of it is cribbed from Ghost in the Shell, but it’s got its own twist to it, and it’s perfectly executed. For what it’s worth, the game was pretty fun too but the soundtrack and art for this mod are head and shoulders above what most commercial games have to offer.