Hitman’s Third Elusive Target Now Live

Honestly, you wait ages for one elusive target and then… No, I can’t even be bothered to finish that joke. Let’s get to the meat of this announcement so you can get on with your life of assassinating targets and polishing your barcode.

The third Hitman’s [official site] elusive target – The Prince – is now live in Sapienza. Well, he is unless you’ve already taken him out, in which case… good job? Leon would be proud. If not, read on for more:

Okay, so the target is Father Adalrico Candelaria, a cardinal who is apparently a hot candidate for the papacy. “What a lovely man of god”, you may be thinking. But the game swiftly tells you he had links to the Pinochet regime in Chile during the seventies and eighties and I don’t think the game believes in things like redemption or personal growth or international justice. It’s all chandeliers to the neck and bullets to the zucchetto

Your hints for this are that Candelaria is going to visit the chapel in Sapienza and spend some time in prayer. Security will be tight, perhaps because SOMEONE is trying to assassinate him.

I was a bit underwhelmed by the last elusive target, but that was because the plan was to do it as a kind of collaborative effort with my partner – him playing and me doing the advice-from-the-sofa thing so we could come up with a solution together. Unfortunately all that happened was he took Agent 47 onto a little rooftop behind the safehouse and waited a few minutes to see if the target came out of the house via the front door. He did exactly that so the target got taken out with a sniper bullet and Agent 47 moseyed on down to the docks and his getaway boat. I was left with nothing to do but check my phone.

The Prince arrived 2pm (BST) on 8 June and will be sticking around until 2pm (also BST) on 11 June.

Here’s their recap for what an elusive target is in case you’re new to this:

Need a recap? This is Elusive Targets in a nutshell:

– Elusive Targets are added to the game for a limited time in real-time. They won’t return.

– You only get one chance to take them down. If you die, you fail the contract and cannot retry it.

– Elusive Targets do not show up on the in-game map or Instinct. You need to locate and identify them with limited intel.

– Earn in-game rewards for completing multiple Elusive Target contracts throughout the season.

– Every Elusive Target adds two unique challenges to the game; one ‘target’ challenge for eliminating the specific Elusive Target and a ‘Silent Assassin’ challenge for eliminating the target without being spotted and without any non-target casualties.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. LionsPhil says:

I wonder how this is working out for them in encouraging people to buy the game before it hits a deep Steam sale.

• Drew says:

Given there’s still 2 (or is it 3 – I forget) full pieces of “DLC” (or episodes or however you want to consider them) still to come out for it it’s going to be some time before there’s an overall price cut.
      Perhaps the final piece will come out and put the whole thing at a discount but I sincerely doubt it.

• LionsPhil says:

More that fact that this content is now GONE FOREVER if you didn’t buy it at launch.

Somewhere, a archivist (or just someone who likes going back to things that were fun some years later) is weeping.

• socrate says:

yeah i hate content like that it actually do the opposite for me it drive me totally away from a game if i somehow miss out on limited stuff…its like restarting WoW after a long break and realise you missed out on tons of “exlusive time limited stuff” and the stuff that is actually possible to still get will make you have no life for half a year to get back on track…thanks but no thanks

• sysop39 says:

Well, considering no-news like this gets reported on pretty much every gaming site…
      Like I said in an earlier article about episodic release: Pure Ubi PR genius.

melnificent says:

I agree that it’s definitely a genius move for getting extra PR from a single game. However it’s still Square Enix and not Ubisoft, give it time and I’m sure Ubi will start doing it as well.

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

Where are you people getting that this is made by Ubisoft?

It may have even been you in a previous Hitman related article, but some other fool said that Ubisoft were pulling off xyz in the comments.

This game was developed by Io and published by Square.

2. Drew says:

This one failed fast for me. I thought I had a chance to sneak off one of the guards and disappear his body into the sea down on the left side of the chapel. Didn’t notice the tourist literally staring right at me as I snapped his neck.
    I thought I might have got away as she’d run off before I changed into his outfit but she’d summoned one of the other guards who was wise to me and I was fairly rapidly gunned down…

3. Manburger says:

I was about to say that there might not be a good sniping spot for this target – but you could pop his pruny head from the church tower, and then if guards investigate your position you could hang off the side until things calm down.

I got him with a knife as he descended the stairs to the catacombs – managed to subdue his private bodyguard earlier.
    Totally Silent Assassin! That felt pretty great!
    (This is a pretty chilling pair of sentences out of context. I’m probably on some sort of list now.)

The first target turned into a bit of a shit show, but I managed to contain the situation and get out alive, which uh, is a win in my book. The second one fared a bit better – successfully poisoned him, but I did arouse suspicion at one point.

I’ve really been liking these Elusive Targets, not sure if they need to be ephemeral (some people might have commitments and business to attend to – not this guy!) but the fact that you only get one shot and cannot save scum definitively adds tension.

4. Mortivore says:

As someone who never got into Hitman, would this be a nice entry to the series?

I’ve been reading more positive things about this game the more episodes are released and these elusive targets seem quite interesting.

Hold my money or throw it at my screen, the eternal question.

Cross says:

If you are indeed on the fence, i might recommend you buy the intro pack, consisting of the tutorials and Paris mission. If that gives you hunger for more, splash on the whole thing. Doing it this way is only $5 more expensive, and saves you risking much.

• xcession says:

As someone who also never got into Hitman I’m finding the whole thing a bit disappointing. You’re allowed to assassinate your target(s) however you want, provided you can get away with it. Your level of “completion” of the mission is scored on how skilful you were in doing it – who saw you, how many innocents you killed etc. There’s no negative repercussions from just killing literally everyone you see, so I’m unconcerned with the way I complete it. As long as you can get your target then limp to the exit you can just shoot everything that moves.

There’s only 4 “levels” currently (if you want to think of it that way) and you’re expected to get longevity out of the game by repeatedly trying to improve on your previous score. It’s a fairly standard paradigm. However having usually shot my targets right in the face, I’m finding I’ve no interest in replaying the levels.

Since “replay and improve” is the crux of the format, I’ve kinda wasted my money given I don’t really want to try. A shame, since I thought i’d like this kind of game, but it turns out I don’t.

• MarkB says:

Have you tried the esclation missions? I overlooked them for a long time and didn’t really start enjoying the game until I started playing them.

If you aren’t familar they are sets of missions (generally 5 per set). The first mission will have a relatively simple objective, such as killing a target with a certain weapon while in a certain disguise. Each following mission adds some sort of complication or additional objective so by the end of the set it is quite challenging.

I like the format a lot because the missions are quick and more about trying to get a successful run at all instead of trying to get a perfect run, but still manage to be interesting. There is also a huge number of them, like 12 sets of 5 missions for Paris alone.

In addition to that I would recommend trying for a silent assassin run on one of the story missions (that means no non target deaths, no found bodies and never get caught doing something illegal). The game plays very differently when that is your goal and you may enjoy it more.

X_kot says:

This is the reason I couldn’t get into Devil May Cry or Bayonetta. I’m graded on my performance each level? But regardless of score, I can keep going, so the only reason to do it again is for style and ego?

Perversely, I enjoy the Hitman games (sans Absolution) a lot, so in my case there’s probably something else to it.

Thirith says:

I always liked the idea of Hitman but the actual games (including everyone’s favourite, Blood Money) much less so. This one I’m enjoying a lot, though; I’m usually not given to sandbox experimentation, but I enjoy trying different approaches and getting better – the escalation mode is especially good for this.

I think the main reason why I’m enjoying this one where I bounced off the earlier ones is that it’s much easier to navigate the levels and control Agent 47. I found Blood Money’s KBAM controls clunky and they kept me from feeling ‘in control’ of the game. In addition, while BM very much felt like a puzzle with a clear preferred solution, this one feels more systemic to me: there’s a world with certain rules, and you’re asked to work within these systems to achieve your goal. As a result, I don’t feel that Agent 47 needs to be clairvoyant (i.e. I have to replay every level repeatedly) in order to get closer to that ideal execution, it feels more emergent (and yes, I know that emergence in games is often an illusion more than anything else, but I still prefer it to be a convincing illusion).

Cross says:

The Prince is definitely a tougher and more interesting target than the Congressman. I’m a little worried about how quickly the difficulty on these missions is escalating, though.

6. Ksempac says:

So, having never played Hitman, i don’t know much of the context like who 47 is working for, but seeing these elusive targets i’ve got to ask: are all your victims always “bad” people with a past that give you a moral justification to take him out ?

Or are there some times when you’re asked to kill a good person that pissed off the wrong kind of people (like a human right activist or a company whistle-blower ?)

• LionsPhil says:

At least up to Blood Money, they are at least sorta ambiguously bad. You aren’t a do-gooder, even in the avenging antihero sense (one of Blood Money’s mechanically more entertaining missions is taking out a gangster under witness protection before he can testify). But you’re mostly murdering murderers and their ilk.

I can’t remember any mission where your target is “a good guy”, and the general preferred canon-y narrative is that 47 is too clean and professional at his job to get innocents involved in a hit (a challenge you are usually rewarded for meeting). Ignoring the trailers, anyway, which have been nonsense since the very first game.

7. doorgunner says:

I agree, Cross. I really liked this one. And I blew it, sadly. After finishing #2 and unable to try #1 but watching clips about it, I definetly see the skill level giong up from target to target. IMHO #1 was piece of cake. #2 was harder but with a little patience it worked out quite well. For #3 You really needed kind of a plan or strategy. I just went in, trying to see what happens, found me close to the goal, adrenaline set in at some point and made me go too hectic and thats when it started to went wrong. Got him, 3 seconds later I was on the floor. 10 seconds later I knew what went wrong and why. So besides the fact I failed, I think this mission worked out quite well for me in a way the developers might wanted it to. Looking fwd to the next one. And secretly hoping that in far future those targets will come back as a bundle addon or whatever. Would loved to try that one once more…

8. freedomispopular says:

As I just got Hitman about a week ago (and have played the heck out of it) this was my first Elusive Target. I naively assumed that I could snipe him from one of the balconies neighboring the ICA safehouse, but after about 10 minutes of waiting, I realized he was never going to leave the confines of the church.

I went and grabbed the church staff disguise and church key and went to see if they’d let me in. They would, but not without frisking me, which I didn’t consider an option as I then wouldn’t have anything to kill him with. I went and checked out the tunnels…they’re all covered.

Then I had an idea. I dropped my pistol on the ground when the guard to the left of the chapel had his back turned. He sees the gun, takes it over to the morgue, and then I get him. Now I should have an easier time getting around. I peek out the door leading to the church (I REALLY wish there was an actual peeking mechanic) and there’s the target moseying out of the church…ALL BY HIMSELF. I could have easily headshotted him without anyone knowing but I didn’t react quickly enough before his bodyguards came out. So I waited for him to pass by on his way back in and casually tossed a proximity explosive in front of him and quickly shut the door. Both he and two of his bodyguards bit it, but no one knew it was me.

I casually walked over to the speedboat and left the scene.

This was a lot of fun and I hope they keep doing these for a while.