Minecraft 1.10 Adds Polar Bears, New Technical Blocks

Minecraft is so popular, and so dear to so many of its players, that I think I’d be terrified with each new update. The chance for potential upset seems enormous. In most instances, anyway. I’m looking at the patch notes for 1.10 – which adds polar bears, a new “Structure Block,” and “A rare chance to find lonely trees in plains” among other things.

The structure block seems the fanciest addition in the sense that I don’t understand what it does and would likely never use it. “This block allows map makers to store templates of structures and place them dynamically with the help of Redstone trickery,” explains the above linked blog post, which suggests you might be able to build something, store it and then use redstone machinery to rebuild it in new places? I’m not sure!

I am sure about the polar bears however, which look lovely. In fact this update seems particularly high on loveliness. Aside from the lonely trees, there’s also the news that “Some huge mushrooms can be even larger” and that there are now “Underground fossils made from bone blocks”. It seems like a fair antidote to the recent combat update, which I know has rubbed some people up wrong, or the legal grey areas created by recent changes to the game’s terms of service.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Press X to Gary Busey says:

Polar bears in a game from Sweden. They’ll feel just like home in Helsinki when adventuring now.

• FCA says:

Now they’ll only need to add pinguins.

• int says:

Die Hard reference?

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Bestest movie. Except that the hero and scholar gentleman Mr Gruber is brutally murdered in the end. With his genius plans foiled by the everworst at family and brutal serial strangle-cop who caused the deaths of several FBI agents with his lacking communication skills, poor diplomacy and a total disregard for authority, protocol, laws and human lives.

2. Chaz says:

Great. Now if they could just get the regular Minecraft working with Win10 instead of the Win10 beta edition I’d be more enthused.

• Zanchito says:

My Java Minecraft works without issue in Win10 x64, What exactly is this incompatibility?

• Chaz says:

Well I’ve never been able to get mine to run. I just used to get a black screen when I ran it. Haven’t tried it for a few months though. Perhaps something has been fixed.

The Win10 beta version is all well and good, runs very well, excellent draw distance with no pop in, but no mods and it’s behind the release curve of the java version.

• Smashbox says:

It will never get mods, so I’d suggest some Java fiddling. It works well for me.

• Razumen says:

Never is a bold claim, it probably will at some point, but the Java version already has such momentum that it’s hard to see them adopting an OS specific version.

• Phasma Felis says:

Microsoft isn’t that stupid. They paid a completely ridiculous amount of money for Minecraft and they want a return on their investment, and they know that a very large chunk of the userbase only plays mods. They’ll get mod support into the new version sooner or later.

I imagine the modmakers will welcome it, too, since it means they won’t have to recode every god damn time there’s a new version.

My concern is that MS might cut development for non-Windows platforms. That would suck.

• PseudoKnight says:

Make sure your video driver is up-to-date. There’s been some Intel graphics driver issues for my players lately. Also enable VBOs in graphics options. Fortunately for that one they made it defaulted on in 1.10.

Hopefully you figure it out because the Java version is much better at being a PC game. The Win10 version is just a portable edition port.

• Razumen says:

Saying it’s “just” a port of the Pocket edition is disengenious, the Win10 version is just as capable as the Java version.

• PseudoKnight says:

Except it’s not just as capable. Almost none of what I do with MC is possible on PE. It’s catching up in many ways, but in other ways it’s just so far behind it’s impossible to predict if it’ll ever happen. It’s got one advantage though: it’s a complete rewrite, so it’s faster.

3. BorgiaCamarones says:

You place structures by building an in game 3d printer duh… Minecraft 101

4. Razumen says:

I wish they’d make the survival mode actually more interesting, ala Terraria with random events, stronger enemies and some bosses as well. But alas they seem content with adding in random crap that adds little to the overall game.

• PseudoKnight says:

“random events, stronger enemies and some bosses as well.”

It could certainly use more work, but all those things exist in MC, just not to the same degree. Community maps (and of course mods) fill in that gap, though. There’s some very challenging ones, many of which are still open-world like CTMs. (Complete the Monument) I highly recommend those for people who want a more challenging and directed experience.

• PseudoKnight says:

It’s also worth noting that some of the “random crap” they added was specifically for map makers. Some maps are fairly technically impressive these days.

• Razumen says:

Like what? The only interesting thing here is the structure block, everything else has been rather blah. Even then, the survival mode is still rather undeveloped even after all this time.

• PseudoKnight says:

In 1.10 alone (which is a small update compared to the last few) there’s structure blocks (which are a big deal), a new loot table parameter, a new particle, a new FallFlying tag, a couple new AreaEffectCloud tags, a void block, a functionally interesting magma block, 2 new hostile mobs, and of course a new NoGravity tag that people are having a lot of fun with.

• Razumen says:

That’s nice, but most of that does little to enhance the core survival experience which really the biggest draw of Minecraft to me, and IMHO, one of its most undeveloped strengths.

• PseudoKnight says:

You asked what they added for map makers, so I gave a list. Incidentally in that list were “stronger enemies”, which you requested and they still managed to fit in this small update.

• socrate says:

while i agree they should add better stuff but then again even when notch was in charge the game did very little progress and people working on this to me always seemed payed to do almost nothing….that said Minecraft is about mod if you are not using mod you are clearly missing out on 99% of what minecraft as to offer since mod are 1000x better then anything minecraft vanilla as to offer and improve…modder are like bethesda modder they basically make the game fun and get 0% of the profit which is sad but i doubt they would hire all modder anyway…they did for the horse thing but other then that modder will stay modder…they usually dont last long in company like that since they don’t have the same view and are not used to be pushed to do something specific they go about their creativity thus why it is so good for mod and so lacking in gaming development these days.

• Razumen says:

While I agree mods are great, the mod ‘fallacy’ doesn’t excuse the game from criticisms in its vanilla state at all.

5. allthingslive says:

Are we going to have a post for every update this game ever gets?

• OscarWilde1854 says:

Is that a problem? It’s a PC game… this is a PC gaming website… Some (like me) maybe haven’t played this game in a long time (over a year). Knowing the new things that they add makes me go back sometimes (just like other older games on here).

I hate people who say stuff like that. Just because it isn’t important to you, that means it isn’t important for anyone? In future, make sure you email RPS your approved topics list each day, so they can be sure all posts interest you!

Aitrus says:

Better question is why we talk about board games on a PC gaming website. 0.0

• Smashbox says:

It IS the bestselling PC game of all time …

• AngoraFish says:

Yep, this is of far more interest to me than an article about a company teasing the future announcement of another teaser.

• Poor People says:

But Minecraft barely receives any updates. It only seems frequent because 1.10 was developed more rapidly than most updates post-1.0. Before this it took months upon months to drop a new update.

At least it’s not another incessant RPS coverage of Overwatch. There has been a good 15 articles written about it since its release a couple weeks ago.

6. Kowie says:

Other early access games put this game to shame when it comes to updates i don’t know what you are complaining about, its laughable it got sold for so much and yet has had done so little to it.

7. klownk says:

Minecraft vanilla is just shit.

8. Universal Quitter says:

I don’t see how anyone could hate the new combat system. How is spamming the left click more fun than something that requires the slightest amount of skill and timing?

If they added in Salt-style directional dodges, it would be perfect.

It’s not like the game is that hard, anyway. You can fight mobs with fists, if you’ve been playing long enough.