Euro Truck Simulator 2 Celebrates Euro 2016 With Flags

Euro Truck Simulator 2 [official site] now has “National Window Flags” DLC, allowing you to stick your preferred country’s flag onto the side of your cab. It’s a small cosmetic paid-for bit of DLC but its release coincides with the ramping up of Euro 2016 interest and prompted some interesting reading about how national sides work in international football.

Okay, so.

The first thought I had was actually that I like that this DLC exists. I associate big footballing occasions with flags on cars or hanging in people’s bedroom windows. I remember during – I think it was Euro ’96 – a newspaper had an edition where the centre page was just a printed England flag and seeing that in loads of house windows or blu-tacked to the dashboard of so many white vans. You’d see England flags flying from the roofs of various cars, or little England pennants suckered onto a back window. Sometimes the patriotic festooning would have you asking whether that person could even see out of the windows at all, so I guess I came to associate vans and trucks and cars with sports flags – or rather, it feels natural to see them paired up.

But on reading the blog entry I pinged the devs an email to ask about the UK. That was because the blog entry says that the timing of the DLC is to coincide with Euro 2016. It also says that the DLC “covers the countries listed by the International Organization for Standardization”. Those two end up at loggerheads when you get to the UK.

Because of how national footballing associations developed in the UK, we don’t field a UK team at these events. Instead, when it comes to events like Euro 2016 or the World Cup, you’ll find separate teams for each of the Home Nations. For this specific tournament England, Wales and Northern Ireland have all qualified separately, yet the International Organisation for Standardisation only lists the Union flag.

Before I go any further I’m going to tell you that SCS Software replied to say that yes, “United Kingdom, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland AND England” are included in the DLC, so if you were pondering the matter, there’s your answer. “I hope we didn’t disappoint anyone :)” they added.

I actually drew England in the RPS Euro 2016 sweepstake so it’s good to know that if I want to drive my cab around being obnoxious and sending screengrabs of my jolly hubristic pootling to Alec or Adam I would be able to without issue.

But I also wanted to point out this Slate article about why there isn’t a UK team at these events. Not because of the UK bits, but because the part about Spain is really interesting:

“Inspired by the tiny Faroes, Gibraltar applied for [UEFA] membership. The Spanish delegation balked. Spain worried that a national team for the British-owned territory and its 29,000 inhabitants would undermine their claim to the rock. They also feared that each of their own 17 autonomous regions would try to break away from the national team. The Spaniards would lose some of their best players if Catalonia were to declare footballing independence.”

Adam also recommended me Sid Lowe’s Fear And Loathing In La Liga for a really good in-depth look at Spanish football and those teams’ rivalry.

Regarding the flag DLC: it’s 79p on Steam but you can get it free of charge if you follow the following instructions:

Between today June 8th and June 15th 2016 midnight CET, deliver three (3) World of Trucks contracts in Euro Truck Simulator. To avoid cheating with extremely trivial jobs, each contract must be over a minimum distance of 200 km (125 miles) (segments on a ferry are not counted!).

And if you’re interested, here’s the full RPS Euro 2016 sweepstake listing:

What could possibly go wrong?

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Optimaximal says:

The Spanish thing wrt their internal states is always coming up. It was a pretty significant rumbling with the Scottish Independence referendum, because Spain wanted to attempt to block it at EU level just in-case success meant the Catalans or another bloc would want to go independent.

2. lglethal says:

Unfortunately I cant read the article at work, so I’m not sure how up to date it is, but for the record Gibraltar is now a full UEFA member (despite Spain’s objections).

It’s funny how sport can get around to acknowledging new nations well in advance of the UN (hello Kosovo and welcome to FIFA!)…

• Llewyn says:

Although it’s worth pointing out the contrast there. Kosovo was welcomed into FIFA with open arms, with only the obvious local objections (just as it’s been reasonably widely recognised as a country by other countries).

Nobody wanted Gibraltar in international football. Yes, Spain’s objections were loudest and most obvious, but it took an appeal to the CAS to force UEFA to accept them and a second appeal has recently lead to CAS insisting that FIFA reconsider Gibraltar’s application and take steps to accept it at the earliest opportunity.

Of course, all this makes the pathetic refusal of the Home Associations to work together on GB teams (especially the women’s) for the Olympics even more spineless and immature. With Gibraltar showing that international football isn’t only for nations, the paranoia about losing representation for each home nation is more empty than ever.

• BlackeyeVuk says:

And that is why international rules exist. So we avoid seemingly same situation being treated differently.

More countries will start doing exactly what Kosovo did.
        And no butthurt Serb will be needed to mock that.

• Llewyn says:

Are you suggesting that the only country in that region (not only in football terms) should be Yugoslavia?

Or are you suggesting that the secession of Kosovo from Serbia is somehow fundamentally different from that of Serbia from Yugoslavia?

Or are you suggesting that, hypothetically, Corsica should declare independence if it wants to play international football, to avoid the trouble of trying to force the issue through CAS?

When you begin a comment “and that is why” it’s commonly accepted that it should relate to the comment you’re following in some way. If yours does, please explain more clearly.

• Llewyn says:

Fingers and brain out of sync: secession of Montenegro from Yugoslavia, not Serbia.

• Cinek says:

Since when Gibraltar is a nation? Last time I checked they wanted to remain a part of UK.

3. RaoulDuke says:

currency convertor logic = silly

link to postimg.org

4. Qazinsky says:

Help, Alec, John! Pip is trying to teach us about sports!

5. Cinek says:

lol @ Alice picking Poland. Sooner hell would freeze than our broken legs would win anything meaningful.

6. Barberetti says:

Ahhhhh football. I thought the local Tesco having loads of flags hanging about the place was to do with them wanting to stay in the EU or something.

7. Unsheep says:

Yay football … the finest acting on television.

I would have preferred something actually related to trucks and vehicles, even motorsport would have been more appropriate. This feels pointless.