The Foxer

Tonight we’re christening the defoxing annexe’s hexagonal floor tiles. At 1930hrs Roman and myself will commence a game of Spaghetti, an Old West miniatures wargame driven by Snap-like card play. The actual gunfight segment of a session is usually done and dusted in under five minutes. You spend most of your time moving 54mm gunslingers around the map, engaging in brinkmanship with tension-building/dissipating cards like “Squeaky Weathervane”, “Annoying Fly” and “Languorous Fart”.

Last week’s theme: The Immortal Game (defoxed by AFKAMC)

a Queen (Stugle)
b The Strand (Stugle, Shiloh)
c Bishop (AFKAMC)
d Immortal (unsolved)
e Bd6! (unsolved)
f Sacrifice (All is Well)
g Rooks (Rorschach617)
h Adolf Anderssen (Shiloh)
i Lionel Adalbert Bagration Felix Kieseritzky (mrpier)
j The Great Exhibition (Shiloh)

* * * * *

Foxer Fact No.506

More than half of the mosaic floor foxers discovered to date were found within the same Pompeii villa. Archaeologists believe that the short corridors linking the Casa del Volpe’s six defoxing rooms may once have housed puzzle solutions in the form of small bronze statues. Such figurines certainly existed elsewhere. Vario’s ‘The Lambs’ begins with two mischievous children switching solution statuettes in an opulent Rome residence.

From this site

1. AFKAMC says:

Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon in “Some Like It Hot”

2. AFKAMC says:

Supermarine Walrus probably

3. Artiforg says:

First time in months I’ve been able to answer something in the Foxer and I couldn’t log in, and when I did was beaten by AFKAMC!

It’s the poster for Some Like It Hot Some Like It Hot Poster

The image on the right is the cover of The Cardigans second album Life

4. Artiforg says:

The metal thing in the top-middle is a Snooker rest, usually called a Spider.

Matchstick says:

I think the ship is either the Tom Sawyer or Huckleberry Finn operated by TT-Line between Germany and Sweden and Poland and Sweden

6. Cooper says:

None of ths ships listed here:
    link to ttline.com
    Match the TT-Line ship properly. The closest, based upon funnel shape, is the Tom Sawyer / Huckleberry Finn.But it’s not quite right:
    They travel from “Travemünde and Rostock to Trelleborg”

7. mrpier says:

Keyboard probably belongs to a Tiki 100 computer.

8. Artiforg says:

The Bryt word on the keyboard, according to Google Translate, is Swedish for “Break”. Though the word “Angre” doesn’t translate from Swedish but from Norwegian to “Regret”. Google Translate isn’t always accurate.

9. Cooper says:

That red castle / water / B&W shield is annoying me. I’ve seen it before. Originally I thought from holiday somewhere, but now I’m thinking maybe EU or CK…

10. Shiloh says:

The red castle emblem at top right looks suspiciously like one of the city coats of arms they used to paint on U-boats.

11. lglethal says:

The mosaic in the background is bugging the hell out of me. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen that in real life, but I’m buggered if I can think from where…

12. phlebas says:

The control panel at the bottom is from an arcade game called Timber:
    link to gamesdbase.com

13. darsle says:

Thor Heyerdahl maybe?
    He built a raft (Timber) called “Ra” (the sun god). He also headed the Kon-Tiki expedition, and he was Norwegian.

• darsle says:

Actually, the Ra I and Ra II boats weren’t made from timber, however Kon-Tiki was built with balsawood.

George *Raft* was in Some like it Hot.

He served with the Free Norwegian Forces in the *Finn*mark during WWII.

• darsle says:

Appearantly, sea otters can form “rafts” by clinging together in the sea. Maybe “raft” is the keyword. Huckleberry Finn, Ra, Kon-Tiki, timber etc.

There are a species of spider called “raft spider”.

The Treaty of Tilsit was signed on a raft in the Neman river.

• Shiloh says:

Yep – “Life” raft fits too. Well done!

• Cooper says:

Yep, looks like it’s RAFT.

In addition to your list we also have the Medusa mosaic (as in raft of…)

And the Kalingrad heraldry probably relates to the Treaty of Tilsit (signed on a purpose built raft):
          link to en.wikipedia.org

• AFKAMC says:

The link might be RAFT in general?

Raft Spider

14. lglethal says:

So what have we got as a summary:
    The Sun
    Some Like It Hot
    Supermarine Sea Otter
    Spider
    Tiki
    Tilsit (Sowetsk)
    Timber
    Plus some still unidentified

Hmmm… Its gonna take a smarter mind then mind to put all that together! ;)

• Shiloh says:

And that picture of Nina Persson *sigh*

• Stugle says:

Also approvingly name-checked in The Divine Comedy’s ‘Sweden’. :) Ah, Nina…

15. AFKAMC says:

Nursery rhymes?

Pease Porridge/Pudding Hot includes the line “Some like it hot”
    Incy wincy SPIDER
    According to Wikipedia, “Cherrington Manor, a handsome TIMBER-framed house in North East Shropshire, England, is reputed to be the actual House That Jack Built.”
    Old MacDonald had an otter on his farm (probably)

OK, I’ll admit I’m now clutching at straws (which is partly where the three little pigs went wrong)

But seriously, I think darsle might be on to something…

16. Stugle says:

Greetings from the Netherlands, where I will be visiting my folks for the next three Foxers! The navigational chart center in the background shows Key West (it says so right on the map).

• Stugle says:

The waters between Key West and Cuba are the narrowest passage between the two countries. Cubans attempting to flee to the US often aim for Key West and are called ‘balseros’ (‘rafters’), so says Wikipedia.