Torment: Tides of Numenera Delayed Till 2017

Torment: Tides of Numenera is one of the games I was most looking forward to this year, owing to the dense RPG being based on Monte Cook’s excellent Numenera pen-and-paper game. Now it’s one of the games I’m most looking forward to next year, owing to inXile delaying it for polish and localisation.

A Kickstarter update explains the decision:

All said and done, our combined iteration and localization efforts are looking to be a 6-month process. So, we have two paths open to us, a bit of choice and consequence, if you will. Those of you who have been following our updates know we have been hinting towards a late 2016 release, and we could crunch and rush to get the game out around November. But doing so would mean both sacrificing the quality of our localization and would lead to a less polished game for the nearly 100,000 people total who have backed the game. Therefore, in the interests of giving everyone the best experience, we will be releasing Torment in early Q1 2017.

Too many RPGs like this have come out and been littered with as many bugs as they are finely written quests, so I’m more than happy for it to be delayed if it means a more stable game. It’s not all bad news: the same update also mentions that the current beta version is now available to all backers.

Those who didn’t back it can still get it via Steam Early Access, though I’d suggest holding off. What’s there is still early doors in terms of combat balance and in terms of how complete its world is. Richard Cobbett broadly agreed with me when he played it upon first release.

Should you pick up a copy now though? I’d say the best answer is whether or not you already know the Numenera universe and so will be visiting a known quantity, in which case your feedback could be invaluable. There’s only a small part of the game on offer anyway. If you’re coming to it fresh, as most people did to Planescape back in the day, I’d hold fire until its finished. Games only get one chance to make a first impression, and Torment: Tides of Numenera feels like a game that warrants a bit of patience.

I do know the Numenera universe, but still, it’s not yet for me. I am excited for the pains inXile are going to in order to turn those pen-and-paper systems into videogame mechanics, however.

From this site

1. Sakkura says:

Backed the game, and I suppose I am a bit disappointed, but a small delay in order to have a polished release is definitely worth it. I felt like Pillars of Eternity could have used another month or two, and Wasteland 2 could have used even more, so this looks like a good decision to me.

2. lglethal says:

I read the end of that first paragraph as “Now it’s one of the games I’m most looking forward to next year, owing to inXile delaying it for Polish localization.

And I was just thinking “is Polish really that difficult a language?”

My bad…

Alfy says:

No, but Poland is really difficult to find…

• DrMcCoy says:

Apparently, the Polish company Techland Publishing is handling the publishing and (also Polish) localization, so it’s even a double future pun: link to gry-online.pl

• scrwtp says:

Silly jokes aside, the original Torment had a superb Polish localization on release, delivered by CD Projekt (the guys who would go on to make the Witcher series). That was a golden age of localizations in Poland. They were able to secure top-tier actors for games like PS:T or BG series – significantly higher grade then the originals.

Jekadu says:

I really, really hope they manage to avoid crunch. I don’t want to hear another so-called success story about a game that was made because the project deadlines were too tight or the game too ambitious. Games like that are good in spite of crunch, not because of it.

• pepperfez says:

The fact that they’re delaying it over the holiday season suggests to me that they’re totally serious about not rushing. It probably won’t cost them as much as it would a AAA monstrosity, but I’m still impressed they made that choice.

• freedomispopular says:

I’ve literally never read anything like that.

Jekadu says:

You’re not familiar with crunch? It’s one of the biggest problems in the industry from what I gather.

• Zekiel says:

A thoughtful look at why crunch isn’t automatically bad: link to shamusyoung.com

Permanent crunch is definitely bad. Short-term crunch at the end of a project is hard to avoid.

Nevertheless I agree it would be lovely if the new Torment could be an excellent game while avoiding crunch!

4. Infinitron says:

Where’s the guy who thought they kicked out Kevin Saunders to rush the game out

5. grimloki says:

Delays are good for games. Bad for players.

Andy_Panthro says:

This is good for me, I still haven’t finished Pillars of Eternity (and about a dozen other RPGs!)

7. vorador says:

AFAIK Pillars of Eternity was quite buggy at launch so getting it right this time around is important.

8. Time4Pizza says:

About this time next year: “Delayed Until 2018”

9. Scrofa says:

I’m happy every time I hear that a game I’m looking forward to is delayed. It means the publisher sucks it up and the developer has more time to make the game good.