What Are We All Playing This Weekend?

E3 is coming. What will you play in these last days before all current games become old and worthless and you weep at having ever played something so decrepit?

Adam: [Adam’s mum has sent me a note saying he doesn’t have to write a WAPWPAPWPTWPTW?? this week because he’s jetting to Los Angeles for E3, and so I should feel sorry for everything we’re doing to her beautiful boy. Fair enough.]
Alec: [NO EXCUSE]
Alice: I’m at that dull point in Darkest Dungeon where losing high-level adventurers isn’t a terrible loss, it’s just boring re-levelling a replacement. This isn’t helped by the game lacking a good testing ground for high-level party compositions and tactics – level 1 quests are easy and 3s aren’t much harder then 5s spike massively. Bleh. But it’s fine, I probably shouldn’t play games this weekend. E3 week is always a big ole stress, and I’ll be working this weekend to cover a few announcements anyway. Chillax, Alice.
Graham: [NONE]
John: This weekend I was supposed to be playing with Uncle Daddy Craig Pearson, but he’s got the stupid flu so we’re not letting in our house. All our plans for watching bizarre wrestling matches and bad movies are DEAD. DEAD I SAY. The weak fool.

Instead I shall hopefully occupy some of the resulting spare time with a spot of computerised gaming. I still haven’t played dOoM, so I should probably do that. And I have a burning desire to return to The Talos Principle lately.

Philippa: This weekend I will be playing “finding a new dress to wear to summer weddings and other formal events”. It’s one of those things that will be a useful investment but the process of actually procuring it will be an absolute grind-fest of fetch quests from the changing room. More happily, I’m going to be playing Mysterium on Sunday.

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

From this site

Aitrus says:

This weekend, and the next weekend, and the one after that, I will be playing the game called “Press Play Over and Over Again on the Dishonored 2 E3 Gameplay Preview”.

• zat0ichi says:

C&C generals zero hour.

The 3rd USA campaign mission is kicking my arse.

Andy_Panthro says:

M&B Warband (yet again), and perhaps finally finishing Dark Souls 3.

TehK says:

Not much, since I’ll be following the Manila Major in the mornings and the footballs in the afternoons/evenings. Yes, I’m one of those!

Gonna sneak in a few rounds of Overwatch, though. :)

4. Chaoslord AJ says:

Nothing, what I would play if there was time- new Metoidvania Ghost 1.0 from the Unepic devs, American Truck Simulator with the new content release, Path of Exile’s new league, Stellaris which is terribly time-consuming or Watch Dogs complete which was discounted and they got me this time (low prio). Backlog keeps growing…

5. A Wanderer says:

First, I will play a lovely game called “The exams are now finished and I am happy”…then probably Diablo 2 which I just discovered a week ago (I know, I know, shame on me) and Fallout New Vegas…though I still have the Banner Saga 2 to finish…and a new Skyrim playthrough to start because why the hell not…man, even with a crappy 5 years old laptop which can’t play the newest games (my graphic card is a good old gt540m so…) I have much more games than free time…

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Did it take you a bit to get over the aging graphics? Regardless, good game and excellent accompanying music.. hope you enjoy it.

• A Wanderer says:

I think I’m going to buy a real gaming computer soon though – but honestly, I never expected my current laptop to work perfectly for 5 years…aging but solid beast apparently. And at least I play games that I probably never have played with a real computer…

6. Orix says:

Mirror’s Edge Catalyst, possible the first game I’ve bought at launch the whole year. Loving it so far, I suck at combat and time-trials, but am loving the exploration. In this age of poorly written blockbusters, I don’t think the story is nearly as awful as everyone says, I’m quite liking some of the characters. Sure, they’re one-dimensional, but it’s kinda what I expected.

BTW, it’ll never happen, but how fitting would a Deux Ex/Mirror’s Edge crossover be? They basically rob each other’s geometric art style.

7. Darth Gangrel says:

I was planning on play the free Wasteland 2 this weekend on Steam, but after only 2,5 hours I found out what I needed to know. It’s well-made, I like the voice acting, general features are good and it’s slow paced. That last one isn’t a bad thing, just something to keep in mind. I didn’t get far during those 2,5 hours, but that’s fine, since it’s a good game, although perhaps not a great game.

Will probably keep on playing Borderlands 1 this weekend.

8. banana says:

Dark Souls 1!
    What? Why, you ask?

Well, I wanted to inform you guys that the folks over at /r/darksouls initiated a “global restart day” (#ReturnToLordran) on every system (PC, PS4 and XBox) yesterday to celebrate 100,000 subreddit-subs! It’s purpose is to populate the game world like on release day, and the news spread really fast, a lot of people are playing! So, if you happen to own DS1 and are in the mood, why not join us for some good ol’ jolly-cooperation or invasion fun? (try DSCM if on PC)

It’s really amazing to see so many soap-signs and hear the bells ringing once again! Praise it!

AutonomyLost says:

Ah, I saw something of a headline regarding the “global restart” but didn’t look into it any further. I also didn’t realize it was referring to the first DS; for some reason I just assumed something having to deal with DSIII. I think it’s a very cool idea and, even though I won’t be participating myself, wish all those doing so a fiendishly good time invading and aiding.

Thulsa Hex says:

I did a 100% achievement run from scratch last month and the online game was well-populated even then — no-doubt thanks to DSCM. I Darkwraith-ed my way through NG and invaded lots and lots. I also heard many a bell toll and felt the benefits of countless kindled fires. It was admittedly wonderful since when I’d last played it in 2012 it was on an Xbox with no Live subscription. Enjoy!

9. welverin says:

Some combination of Doom, Destiny and D&D.

Awesomeclaw says:

I picked up Hitman a couple of days ago and have finally had some time to play it. I’m trying to kind of pace myself and get the most out of each area before I move on to the next one – there’s a lot going on in each area, plus lots of extra challenges and community made stuff to keep things fresh.

AutonomyLost says:

So much The Witcher 3. I AM Geralt this weekend.

After I finish work.

• TheAngriestHobo says:

Hey, me too! I just finished my second playthrough and have finally started in on the DLC. I gotta say that the difficulty spikes something fierce in Hearts of Stone. Story’s pretty great, though.

AutonomyLost says:

I had a save file with 60-something hours in it disappear/not sync correctly with GOG (not exactly sure) after I built my new computer, and I was very near the end of the game. SO, I have begun a new playthrough, which I suppose is still technically my first, in order to beat it finally and get on to both DLCs. I own the two of them, and each time I boot up the game and they’re displayed in the main menu I’m just a tiny bit bitter.

Honestly though, it’s such an incredible game that I’m happy I’m giving it another go. I had a quest occur last night that I know didn’t happen last time I played and I know how it will have an effect much later in the campaign, which is awesome! So, new discoveries and the anticipation of moving on to the wonderful DLCs is keeping me focused and determined. Have fun being the White Wolf as well this weekend.

• Aerothorn says:

Impostor! Charlatan! *I’M* Geralt!

12. anHorse says:

Stranger of Sword City

It’s a lazy vita port, the introductions take forever and the writing is weak.
    But it’s a dungeon crawler released on pc!

13. TheAngriestHobo says:

TW3 and HoI4.

Hearts of Iron made a pretty strong showing on release. Unfortunately, I’m dead-set on finding a way to win the war as the Międzymorze, and from what I’ve seen, Germany inevitably declares war on Poland if Poland forms the faction. I’ve had to restart my game three times so far. :(

14. gabrielonuris says:

Blood. Yes, that old Build Engine game. God, it needs a GzDoom port as soon as possible, even with mods and mouse look it still looks and plays… odd. But damn, that sawn off shotgun is as good to shoot as the super shotgun from Doom! Btw, I miss that dark, satanic atmosphere that some games used to have back at the 90’s.

15. Danny says:

I’m playing the sell my GTX970 game today and after that the wait-for-a-GTX1070-gpu game.

Some onboard gpu action it is. Civilization or Mount and Blade never let me down.

• fish99 says:

After seeing the 1070 prices I decided to stick with my 970, at least until the 1070 is a bit more reasonably priced.

16. Faldrath says:

Currently clearing Brightstone Cove in Dark Souls 2.

Dark Souls 2. I had a moment of revelation not unlike Alec’s, and after years of thinking “nah, Dark Souls isn’t for me”, I finished the first game, and immediately bought the second. So good. So, so good. I was blind, but now I see. Dark Souls is for me. Dark Souls is for you. Dark Souls is for everyone.

(also playing some Overwatch on the side because I, uh, am not very faithful to my new creed.)

Awesomeclaw says:

I’d intended to play through the whole Dark Souls series but I gave up after I got to Black Gulch in DS2. The combination of the poison statues, tentacle monsters and that one NPC invader (plus it essentially being the third poison area. Come on, guys.) led me to give up. I think I’m actually close to the soul memory requirement to open up the latter parts of the game anyway but I don’t really want to just grind it out either.

Thulsa Hex says:

Don’t let that stop you because Black Gulch is really short! It’s also made easier by the upcoming spoiler:

SPOILER: There’s a hidden bonfire near the boss fog gate.

That said, the abundance of poison-y bits was not my favourite thing about DS2, and I’m someone who really likes Blighttown!

17. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

It’s looking like more Total Warhammer. Finished a campaign by the cunning process of hiding in the mountains while the Empire did all the work, now have to decide who to play next (the discovery of faction unlocker mods making this tricky). Probably not Empire, they have to do all the work.

18. Xipheas says:

Elite Dangerous. I’ve got back into it and I’m really enjoying power play, having sacrificed my allegiance to the federation (sorry!) in order to play with some mates who insist on drooling over Aisling Duval.

19. Shinard says:

Picked up 80 Days in the Humble Bundle, tried it last night and I think I might be in love. So that’s me for the weekend, probably with a bit of Overwatch to mix things up a bit.

20. malkav11 says:

Oh god, that’s right, E3 is looming. The annual time when all meaningful games coverage ceases in favor of a Chinese water torture dripping of extremely limited preview coverage of games that aren’t out yet, may never be, and probably won’t look or play like that if they do come out. I sure do wish people would get over it.

In order to distract myself from this impending doom, I will be working on finishing Avadon: The Black Fortress, which I just picked up again on Thursday (after apparently two and a half years of neglect) and discovered that I was pretty close to the end. By the time I finished the quest I had in progress, my characters were level capped and geared to the nines, and indeed it seems that the very next quest I was given initiated a rather frantic (by the game’s standards, at least) endgame, which I am roughly halfway through.

I’ll also try to validate my financial investment by playing a bit more Overwatch, which seems fun so far (and I really like the additional tools Mercy brings to the Medic kit), but not the sort of thing I’m likely to play for hours on end without friends joining me, and that’s not going to happen in the near future what with none of them being big enough Blizzard fans to drop $40+ on it. I got them into Heroes of the Storm only because it’s free.

I have some other games on the docket – primarily RPGs like Pillars of Eternity, Dragon Age: Inquisition, etc, and in particular I’d like to revisit Age of Decadence (which I finally dipped into also on Thursday), though possibly with a character revamp. They aren’t kidding about the combat being tough. But we’ll see if I get to them.

• LionsPhil says:

Hear hear on that first paragraph.

• anHorse says:

I’d love E3 if they could only show stuff that’s due to be released before next e3

I liked the look of some ubi game last year (ghost recon?) and it’s still not due till next year, so what’s the point in watching promotion of it.

• malkav11 says:

I like it when games are announced and released in the same breath. But failing that, all I really need to know (unless a game is Kickstarting) is that a game is being made and maybe a brief paragraph describing the basic pitch if it’s not a sequel. Everything past that is a) subject to change or omission and b) will almost never be subjected to any sort of critical scrutiny (because, after all, it’s not done and you can’t form a holistic view of what the end product will be). And even if it ends up being exactly what was previewed, which is vanishingly unlikely, it’s still completely bloody irrelevant to me as a consumer until I can actually play the finished product. Previews are a waste of my time, and E3 is nothing but.

• malkav11 says:

I did beat Avadon today as a loyalist. Gotta say, it’s a bit of a downer. If you’re supporting Avadon (especially with Redbeard as Keeper), you’re supporting a lot of brutal tactics and a moral calculus that feels unjust. But the alternative seems to be chaos and treason, spurred on by a few people who seem decent but ultimately are motivated as much by revenge as by justice, with the backing of shadowy forces that quite possibly are really bad news.

Which is to say, not your usual feel good fantasy heroic fare. Love it.

21. Ex Lion Tamer says:

The release of the giant patch for Homeworld Remastered finally prompted me to play the (remastered) first game, which I’ve had sitting on my hard drive since release.

Whew. They’ve done quite a job with it. As others have said better elsewhere, as beautiful and elegant as I remember (without the accumulated damage of years of graphical iteration etc.). Through the first few missions, and I’m reminded that there was and is nothing quite like it. The word “elegiac” gets thrown around quite a bit; I think it actually fits here.

Ben King says:

Imbroglio, Destiny, D&D and spectating while my GF murders cave people and rides Mammoth Babies in FarCry. Maybe Talos principle, but I keep trying to get the bonus stars in each level and getting pissed when the skills required to access it have nothing to do with the usual circuits and switches puzzles but require a completely different mindset.

23. derbefrier says:

Overwatch probably a bit of star citizen since the new patch just went live and adds the first bit of persistance. Also lots of board and card games and possibly some dnd

24. Parrilla says:

Hearts of Iron 4. Currently grinding through China as Japan, just need to take their current capital and I win. Probably fit some Total Warhammer in too.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Probably play at least a few games of Overwatch. I am starting to get a little tired of it because the load-outs people pick seem to be getting less and less varied. It’s snipers, Torbs and Bastions all the way down.

I have also started playing Dark Souls again. I am trying to finish the game I started back in November but never finished because Dragon’s Dogma was all like “Who wants to throw some goblins off a cliff?”. I went through Great Hollow/Ash Lake earlier this week as I missed them on my initial playthrough. I am now doing the DLC section before I take another stab at Gwyn.

Thulsa Hex says:

Manus is easily the most difficult boss in the game (unless you’re trying to melee-solo Kalameet). Stay strong!

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Yeah, if I have to I’ll just be a cheap bastard and bow him for an hour.

Thulsa Hex says:

I’m not using any mods and I’m finding it mostly fine. The complaints about weapon jams, checkpoints, and malaria seem over-blown to me. I usually pop into the arms dealers as I’m passing by, so my weapons are almost always functional, checkpoint respawn rates are oddly quick, but not enough to cause much trouble, and the malaria is just a non-issue. The main downside of the game for me is that it seem like you’ve basically seen it all after a few missions.

I knew nothing of the 27% glitch but just looked it up. Thankfully, I seem to have avoided it since I just crossed into the second area today. Even so, I have a whole load of saves to work back from since quicksaves don’t appear to over-write each other.

The aspect of Dylan’s mod that I do find appealing is that it stops enemies from being bullet sponges, but some of the other “re-balancing” features don’t seem too great to me.

Herzog says:

Broforce – almost finished on hard difficulty. Getting quiet competent at it. Still won’t try Ironman mode after it.

Spelunky – as always.

Last few weekends always the same. Should start something new soon…

27. Det. Bullock says:

Phantasy Star for Master System/Mega Drive
    I finally got the robot and the spaceship (the last time my saves got corrupted, probably because of a bad contact, before I could understand how to get him out of the junk pile), they also sequestered my passport (which is strange to see in such an old JRPG)and I started exploring the new areas.

Captain Narol says:

Football Manager, because Euro2016 ! Go France !

Between matches : Tyto Ecology, Stellaris and CK2.

29. McGuit says:

Dark Souls 3 PC and Odin Sphere on PS4 (I know blasphemy to mention on RPS, but there it is)

30. liquidsoap89 says:

I’m the cool guy over in the corner playing Lords of the Fallen. Screw all you Dark Souls kids with your trend setting ways!

Anyways, this game is kind of good so far. It has quite a slow pace, which was unexpected, but I’m kind of liking that. And I like that there is a story being told to you instead of the Dark Souls way, which I’m not a fan of. Also it’s pretty… So, so pretty!

31. SamV says:

I’m playing Crea. It just was released out of early access a few days ago and I am finding it to be a great Terraria-like with RPG elements like leveling up and using exp points to upgrade and add new skills.

particlese says:

Yesterday (extended weekend) was Ori and the Blind Forest, Devil Daggers, and getting annoyed at various programs’ disregard for color management facilities. Today was spent getting up-to-date on Skyrim mods now that I’ll be playing it on my new computer…plus recovering from a flu or something I thought was merely bad pollen allergies yesterday. Tomorrow is a mystery! (I’m exhausted with regard to Skyrim now.)

particlese says:

And Ori it is! Jeez this game is good. It’s even more difficult than I was expecting, but it’s so pretty, and it’s such a joy to do everything. I even like the escape sequences…a lot. I can see how people might hate them, but I’ve found them really satisfying to perfect and get through.

33. vahnn says:

Dark Souls 1.

When I played and beat it originally, I played in offline mode (torrented it…hush your face. DSfix was getting people VAC bans in Steam and softbans from From. I owned the game on Steam.)

Fortunately, Friday saw the “launch” of global DA1 Restart Day. Thousands of people are creating new characters and playing through the game all over again. It’s wonderful so far.

If you’ve ever wanted to try the Souls series or started with 2 or 3, here’s a great time to start!

Thulsa Hex says:

On PC, I’m decently far into Far Cry 2 after re-discovering last week that I own a GOG copy. I’m finding it both fascinating and boring, fun but dull, etc. yet etc. The open world mechanics and general freedom of movement must have been pretty exciting when it came out, but I can’t shake the feeling that the repetition of the core gameplay probably would have suited a more linear experience (a la the first Far Cry). Assaulting the cattle ranch just loses it’s lustre on the fourth or fifth time! I do kinda like how you’re a mundane man, though, doing a (questionable) job because it’s a job, but it could do with just a tad more narrative pizazz or more variety in the gameplay itself.

Playing FC2 sort of amplifies my frustrations with Far Cry 3. FC3 built upon this real solid foundation and really did improve a lot of the gameplay mechanics. Unfortunately, the narrative went way too far in the other direction — and that’s before factoring in the puerile tone of it all. I think a sort of half-way point between FC2 and FC3 would have been perfect. Obviously, losing the now-standard Ubisoft collectophile nonsense padding would be good too.

Thulsa Hex says:

Oops, I specified “on PC,” because I’m also trying to convince my wife to finally start her copy of Monster Hunter 4 U on 3DS so that we can co-op.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Are you playing it with Dylan’s Mod? I’ve never played it vanilla and my short time with the game doesn’t seem to have a lot of the complaints others have with the game. You know, until I ran into the infamous 27% glitch.

Thulsa Hex says:

(I accidentally already posted this as a reply to the DS/Manus thread, but thought I’d stick it down here too.)

• Det. Bullock says:

I usually tried to get creative with the missions, most of them allow different approaches to the targets, more than once I just put myself on a hill with a sniper rifle and than skedaddled using a vehicle, mission acomplished and all.
      Getting the diamonds was an advantage as having fresh weapons constantly eliminated the gun degradation problem (which wasn’t really that bad anyway in the first missions, only once I had a gun failing on me) a you could unlock a few weapons that were extremely rare to find on enemies.

Thulsa Hex says:

The game does allow different approaches, but doesn’t do a lot to encourage it. I’ve tried mixing it up of course, but even then it never ends up being all that different. Outside of running and gunning, stealth isn’t very satisfying, and sniping basically ends up being the exact same every time — mostly due to A.I. running towards you or standing in plain sight (I limit myself to the bolt-action rifle because the game becomes trivial otherwise). Flammable environments is a cool feature, but I wish it had more strategic value.

I think FC3 addresses a lot of these issues, and does something particularly valuable: escalation of the enemy threat. It’s a more game-y concept, sure, but gradually introducing new enemies that forced you to change-up your approach made for more interesting minute-to-minute gameplay.

That all being said, I can see FC2’s many good points (especially for the time it was released), and I’m really glad I’ve finally gotten around to experiencing it for myself. I like the atmosphere of the setting, too. I’ve a feeling that if there was better characterisation and a more compelling plot, I’d be more ok with the repetitive nature. As it is, I’m not sure how much more I’ll play. I just got to the second area today, and there seems to be a whole lot more game left ahead of me!

35. BlueB says:

I was just over in England and read 3 Sherlock Holmes novels for the first time and really got into them which prompted me to buy Crimes and Punishment by Frogware. Only played through the first case so I plan on finishing a few more this weekend!

Also, I read the preview article on The Devil’s Daughter and was surpirsed to see so many people bashing the series. I think it’s alright so far but maybe a bit too linear – would have liked to investigate more but was forced to draw a conclusion anyway.

gritz says:

Overwatch will not release its vise-like hold on my life.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

You sure you didn’t accidentally walk into a Junkrat trap?

37. rahji says:

Witcher 3 Blood and Wine. I think the main quest is on the same level like the main game. I really want to know how the story plays out
    Also Hearthstone. Just had enough gold for the second wing of league of adventurers.

38. kud13 says:

I’m all about some Blood & Wine. in between watching UEFA and playing rec footy.

39. freedomispopular says:

Will probably start the third mission on Hitman this weekend. In about a week, I’ve totaled 40 hours just playing the first two locations. Finished the main missions multiple times and all but a couple of the escalation contracts, and successfully assassinated The Prince (my 1st Elusive Target). Probably a bit of Rocket League in there as well, and I’ve been feeling the itch to play some Cities: Skylines again as well. I haven’t played it since either of the new DLC came out, so I’d like to see what they bring to the table.

40. Unsheep says:

The new Ducati game has take up my weekend’s gaming time. It’s been a great game so far, similar to Ride but with a whole bunch of Ducati-s. I really like the historic championship mode, going from earliest bikes to the latest ones.

moms says:

Been slowly crawling through Metro 2033.
    And hopefully.. oh, wait. The weekend is over?
    umm.. then never mind.