Fallout Shelter Coming To PC & Shelter Construction Coming To Fallout 4

Fallout Shelter is the post-apocalyptic management game that Bethesda slid onto tablets and cleverphones last year. I haven’t played it myself but know people who spend commutes and late nights in front of the telly tapping and swiping as they help their survivors to thrive. Or exploit them for kicks. The game is coming to PC in July and DLC for big momma Fallout 4 is coming thick and fast as well. Most notably, Vault-Tec, a build your own vault expansion, in July.

Fallout Shelter will arrive on PC along with an update that adds quests and new enemies. You’ll be able to send unfortunate vaultdwellers out into the world to retrieve things, kill things and help people.

The Vault-Tec expansion is coming the same month – July – and looks like it’ll add some of Shelter’s attractions to Fallout 4. The building interface doesn’t look like it’s changed a great deal but you’ll be able to build your very own vault and either keep people safe there or experiment on them. The clips shown suggest raiders will attack from time to time, as raiders are wont to do.

Before that there’s another construction-related DLC pack in the form of Contraptions, which caters to those who enjoy building daft things. People will probably find ways to make practical use of the included conveyor belts and other bits and pieces, but I just want to see Rube Goldberg machines with no utility whatsoever. Make a complex series of pulleys and tracks that feeds Dogmeat his dinner and I’ll gladly subscribe to your YouTube channel.

August’s release adds a new area, Nuka World. A post-apocalyptic beverage-based theme park.

I’m far from being Fallout 4’s biggest fan but I do like to see peoples’ constructions, even if I’m unlikely to ever make anything of my own.

You can read all of our E3 coverage right here.

From this site

1. *Legion* says:

I remember when people sneered that Fallout was going to become “Oblivion with guns”. Now that they’re fully embracing “Minecraft with guns” instead, “Oblivion with guns” doesn’t sound so bad.

• remon says:

They’ve dropped every pretense of it being an RPG. Not that it was much of one before of course.

Head Bob says:

Because Minecraft is worse than Oblivion?

• mitthrawnuruodo says:

• Nelyeth says:

Because Fallout isn’t supposed to be a sandbox town-builder. I don’t mind it that much, and it’s very well done, but it’s sad to think that Fallout 4’s settlement-building is better than its RPG or storytelling aspects. No complaints on the FPS part though.

• GrammarCop says:

Luckily, the engine is sufficiently moddable that somebody who cares can completely replace the story and quest lines. And maybe whoever does that will realize how stupid it is to have 200-year-old-yet-perfectly-preserved sweet rolls lying around everywhere, and magically-unlooted-after-200-years grocery stores.

• ErickTo says:

I thought fallout 4 would have many more towns and prebuilt settlements, heck I could’ve settled for specials settlers wandering into specfic towns. However as it is currently, there is a huge disconnect between gameplay and rpg with the settlement system in particular.

Yes, you can build cool towns, outposts, airships etc; but the game doesn’t really acknowledge it in ways meaningful to gameplay or role playing. The minuteman faction who wanted these areas built up who were supposed to be protecting these settlements were nowhere to be seen.

This is not a complaint more than it is a strange choice to add so many settlements all at once, it drains immersion when a single person makes over 30 cities and outposts, with populations larger than diamond city in less than an in game year when there have been over 200 years for everyone else to do so and rebuild the wasteland. The system is well done for the most part, however engine limitations make it buggy(spent more time going back and forth to fix resources rather than building), and IMO unless they do an interesting settlers/town mayor update or DLC, settlements feel like time better spent doing something else.

They still have an opportunity to make an interesting endgame with all these settlements, hopefully they do so. I’d like to say as a whole I love fallout 4. However the lack of RPG elements, lacklustre progression, and missed opportunities(combat zone, underwater missions, the glowing sea, the iconic areas etc) make me wish that Bethesda took another year on it.

2. Tannhauser says:

Gotta milk that cow dry.

3. Someoldguy says:

I’ve wanted a way for my power armour clad avenger to switch roles to the mayor / guardian of a small wasteland community since playing Fallout 1&2. Hopefully one of these will finally scratch that itch.

Head Bob says:

I agree. I’ve even caught myself changing into a different outfit to perform mayoral duties, even though it makes 0 difference to the game. I’d also like to be able to appoint town mayors from the population, instead of having to zoom around the wasteland to issue every little command personally.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I realized while playing FO4 that with the settlement mini-game you could basically role-play as a Raider leader who comes into the area and one by one takes over every settlement while eliminating rival gangs for their guns and armour.

4. fearandloathing says:

This is just disgusting, I hope Bethesda will rot in hell for what they’ve done to the franchise.

• Michael Anson says:

You mean, taking it from a niche item that few people will experience into a popular and profitable franchise played by millions, thus increasing popular exposure to the original games while liberating the license from a series of repeatedly more awful attempts at exploiting the property? How dare they!

• Wulfiebaby says:

Just because you slap “Fallout” on a box, doesn’t make the contents a Fallout game in any meaningful way.

It’s fine if you want to appeal to “more copies sold,” but that isn’t the endgame for the long-time fans. The only good thing Bethesda has done with the franchise is to let Obsidian make New Vegas.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

No more or less meaningful than slapping Transformers™ on a hunk of plastic or Cherios™ on a box of cerials.
          It’s just names stamped on consumer products and the content that matters.

A lot of complaints would’ve turned on their heads if Bethesda had just named their post apocalypse adventure games something else and said they were influenced by the Fallout games. At least a few overly attached people could maybe finally let go and continue dreaming of a proper Jefferson engine sequel 30 years from now – of course made by the exact same constellation of people, direction, company culture and state of mind as in 1997.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

The franchise was also practically dead with the failures of Interplay and Van Buren, with Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel for Xbox as the series swan song.

The kickstarter rush probably would’ve given birth to a Van Buren Fallout 3 instead of New Vegas and Wasteland 2 but we can only guess how the Fallout 2 survivors, clinging to distant memories and zimmer frames would’ve liked it, judging by the reception of the two games mentioned.

5. Little_Crow says:

I assume the reference in the article should be for Sheltered as opposed to Shelter – a game in which (wikipedia informs me) players control a mother badger who must protect and feed her cubs while travelling from their old burrow to a new one.

If it’s the former, it sounds interesting but the building component of Fallout 4 has never really grabbed me.
    If it’s the latter, I very much look forward to angry giant irradiated she-badger attacks – way, way, scarier than deathclaws.

• TallinHarper says:

You assume wrong in both cases. It’s referring to “Fallout Shelter,” as mentioned several times in the article…

6. RobbieTrout says:

I looked forward to Fallout Shelter so much. Then it arrived, and… bleh.

Maybe it’s a good game. Maybe not. The tutorial is so poor that I got confused within the first ten minutes, put it down, and never felt any inclination to go back to it. “Click this, click that, OK, now you’re on your own” is NOT how to design a tutorial. I’ve got plenty of other things to do than flailing around in Fallout Shelter trying to figure out what the game is.

7. DarkCypher says:

I really enjoyed Shelter on my phone even though I would often have technical issues with it due to the platform. I am looking forward to giving it a go on PC. Even on my newer iPhone 6, once your shelter gets so big the game really starts to lag and it got to the point that it wasn’t fun anymore. I even tried to get the Android version working in an emulator on PC.

It was also really aggravating that when you pressed the home button to do something else often the game would continue running in the background so when you came back the shelter it would be in crisis. I always had to make sure to end the game task when i was done.

8. Stylo says:

Wow, how dare you call Goldberg “Rude”

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Is a Rude Goldberg machine when you have a ball that goes down a ramp that knocks over a block that starts a toy car that drives into a lever to release a balloon that knocks over a bucket of marbles that spill into a another bucket attached to a pulley which raises a flag with “You’re a cock” written on it?

10. Darth Jimmi says:

My ipod touch 5 couldnt handle Fallout Shelter, sadly.
    Maybe they fixed it now, i guess i can check…
    But the fact that its coming to PC is pretty neat :D

11. Koozer says:

Fallout Shelter seemed like a typical grindy mobile game with xp and upgrades instead of critical thinking or fun when I tried it.