Watch Dogs 2’s E3 Gameplay Trailer Is Good Silly Fun

XTREME HACKING

Watch Dogs 2 [official site] looks like a modern-day video game reboot of the seminal Hackers and I can’t tell you how much I’m into that. Cocky young punks and ruffians free-running wild and listening to banging tunes while they stick it to The Man is right up my cyberstreet. It’s so over-the-top and that is why I adore it. It can’t be serious, can it? It can’t. I adore it. Look how much fun these scamps are having in the 11-minute first gameplay trailer!

Watch Dogs 2, as you’ll have noticed, does away with surly uncledad Aiden Pearce and brings in young Marcus Holloway. He’s joining the Dedsec hacktivist collective to stick it to The Man through the usual Watch Dogs sneak-a-hack-murder antics. He’s better at parkour than Aiden and has new gadgets like quadcopter and car drones. Oh, and a stun gun if he wants to be less murdersome. It’s nice to see a video game protagonist enjoy themself.

Also, improved co-op!

On top of that gameplay trailer, Ubisoft released a regular E3 trailer which drops a little Run the Jewels:

Oh, and Ubisoft also announced a garbage exclusivity deal that’ll see Watch Dogs 2 DLC released first on PlayStation 4 then 30 days later for the rest of us. Thanks for nothing!

Watch Dogs 2 is due on November 15th.

Do check out the rest of our E3 2016 posts, previews, odds, ends, and gubbins.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Author X says:

I was not into this at all until I saw the guy with the LED emoticon mask, and that’s just terrible enough that I love it.

• GWOP says:

And let’s not forget the protagonist wearing a cap with the #brand of their super secret underground hacker group. Delightfully dumb.

• Valdras86 says:

To be fair, people wear hats and shirts with Anonymous on it all the time. It’s basically the same thing right?

2. dethtoll says:

I got the original for cheap last week after hemming and hawing on it for like two years. It’s surprisingly fun, but it’s looking like the new one is where the series gets its legs. Very different tone from the original, too. I’ll probably pick this up.

And that emoticon mask is wonderfully awful.

3. JakeOfRavenclaw says:

I picked up the first game recently just to see what it was like. Turns out that it’s kind of a mess–bloated with un-fun activities and featuring a story that veers between bad and morally repulsive–and yet, despite all that, I’m actually having a lot of fun with it. The hacking stuff is simple, but it does do a nice job of creating the illusion that the city is a puzzle box to which you have the keys (and the city is gorgeous too–I’ve enjoyed just putting on the in-game radio and strolling around taking in the sights). The stealth stuff really works for me too–I think the moment I was really sold is when I encountered a multi-tiered area full of guards, and assumed that I was going to have sneak or shoot my way through them…only then I realized that by bouncing between security feeds, and jumping to guard’s body camera as he walked between rooms, I could actually get in and hack the laptop I was after without ever setting foot in the area at all. The actual shootouts tend to be less impressive, although I do love the blackout tool that lets you kill all the lights in an area–at its best, it feels like a damn solid Jason Bourne game.

All of which is to say that I’d definitely be willing to check out a sequel, and I’m cautiously optimistic about the direction Watch Dogs 2 seems to be heading in.

HothMonster says:

Loving that its being super goofy. When these games try to have a serious story while having just the goofiest hacking mechanics. I get letting you hack a 70s VW bus or implying a construction crane has a wireless interface, its fun. But make the story fun too, I cant take that world seriously so don’t try to make me. Hopefully mr anarchy-skeleton-emoticon man doesn’t ever take himself seriously.

I hope they actually do a decent treatment of san fran too. Their Chicago was dogshit. I had high hopes with all the praise ubisoft likes to give themselves for recreating places in AC.

The parkour looks really good too, so thats nice.

5. Guy Montag says:

I can get behind this. Here’s hoping Aiden just doesn’t show up at all.

Aitrus says:

“We are going to ghost our way through this mission”

*proceeds to shoot up the place*

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Which is a shame because I saw some ladies tonight who should be having my baby.

• salgado18 says:

“Excuse me lady. Here, have my baby.”

Hands over baby do lady. Then runs away.

You monster.

7. Raoul Duke says:

I really wanted to like the original, but I thought it was utterly terrible. The gameplay just wasn’t fun at all. I also thought the graphics were extremely average for such a hyped, “AAA” game.

I really will never understand why developers don’t start with gameplay, THEN build their massive open worlds. I think basically you should be able to have a huge amount of fun in a game using stick figures and placeholder art. Once that is actually fun to play, then worry about building a hyper-realistic future Chicago.

8. pelwl says:

I know you can choose how to play it, but I’d much prefer if there was no option for shooting people and other combat. I can get that this young man is a master hacker and parkour expert but not also a one man army who can take down multiple trained professionals using guns or even just his hands.

Why not just let him use the other myriad skills and gadgets at his disposal?

• lglethal says:

You just saw a playthrough video, so naturally its going to show one play through style only. Maybe with a few gadgets thrown.

From my own experience with the original, there were not that many main missions where you had to shoot anyone. I certainly played it that way. Usually the only time my gun came out was after I’d ballsed up something!

• bit.bat says:

Yeah thats what I thought as well, even choking people felt out of place to me. The way the demo started I imagined something more like a Home Alone type of situation where the main character is really weak physically but has other tools at their disposal.

9. tonicer says:

Yeah … i’m just gonna leave this here as a reminder not to buy Ubisoft’s crap: link to youtube.com

10. GWOP says:

Ah yes, electronically taking over the controls of an 80s muscle car. Some of them used to come with touchscreens, after all!

caff says:

RPS Graham was right about the original – the multiplayer 1v1 hacking was superb, a real dogfight. Until you got more experienced (and your opponent likewise).

I enjoyed the base singleplayer too, despite the dullard Aiden character.

12. cutechao999 says:

The wacky tone really fits this series much better. This looks fun, but like a Ubisoft game these days, only time and a release will tell if it actually lives up to this. (PS: why didn’t the guards remove the hacking device if they saw it?)

13. cutechao999 says:

Also the music while taking down the system reminds me a lot of Jet Set Radio, which is good.