Bethesda Teased A New Wolfenstein Game During E3

Bethesda’s E3 2016 showcase brought with it news of Quake Champions, new Prey, Dishonored 2 and a few other things. What wasn’t there was any word on what Wolfenstein developers Machine Games were doing – or at least, no explicit news. There was one hint at what might be next for BJ Blazkowicz: “The New Colossus.”

At the very start of the conference, Bethesda showed a DOS prompt directory listing containing a bunch of their recent games. “The New Colossus” was listed under “New Order” and “Old Blood”, the names of the previous two Wolfenstein games, with its date starred out. That this is the name of the next Wolfenstein game seems a safe guess, given both its position, the existing naming convention, and that the New Colossus is a poem referenced by BJ in the closing moments of The New Order. It could of course just as easily be a project codename, of course.

Here’s a screengrab of the DOS screen:

And the poem, written by Emma Lazarus in 1883, begins:

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

Which is about the Statue of Liberty, and which leaves me to cross my fingers and hope that Wolfenstein’s mech future is taking lessons from Ghostbusters 2 and that we’re going to be piloting the “Mother of Exiles” in battle. I mean, probably not, but I can dream.

Want more E3 news? Hit the link.

From this site

1. Zallgrin says:

Ahhh I really hope that everything goes well and we get a sequel to New Order. It’s one of my favorite franchises right now and I’m really thrilled to see in what direction they will be going with this.

2. Xiyng says:

I’m a bit disappointed we didn’t hear more, but I suppose even this much is better than nothing.

3. Gabbo says:

I was much more intrigued by Keen being there, ’12-14-90′ or not. Not that more expressive-eyed BJ would be bad, loved New Order, hope to hear more about New Colossus in the coming days

4. Oduglingen says:

There’s a great little joke hidden in that screenshot: “DOOM4^H”. “^H” is what you might get when you try to use backspace on a terminal that doesn’t support it. Can’t remember if DOS did or didn’t though…

5. suibhne says:

Interesting…hinting at BJ heading across the pond to liberate the US of A?

6. Jetsetlemming says:

I thought for sure BJ died at the end of New Order originally, and was incredibly impressed by how ballsy a move it was, to let his character arc come to a close at the end of the game. On replay a couple weeks ago, he’s actually “merely” badly wounded, injected with a drug that slows his heartbeat so he’ll bleed out much more slowly anyway, and also the credits end with the sound of a helicopter approaching, which makes sense because his allies were like thirty feet away in a helicopter while he’s on a rooftop in the final cutscene, so why wouldn’t they just pick him up before nuking the compound?
    And I guess that’s okay.

The name of the new game might also be referring to Anya as a leader of the resistance, because BJ’s directly talking about her, with her lantern raised high, as he recites the poem in the scene.

7. finc says:

Can confirm this is what was intended.

Also can’t wait for a Commander Keen sequel.

• finc says:

This was in reply to Oduglingen… I guess “log in and reply” logs in but doesn’t reply :/