Kojima Productions Announce Death Stranding

Metal Gear maestro Hideo Kojima has announced Death Stranding [official site], the first game from his new studio. It may or may not involve beached whales, crabs with cables coming out their guts, a nude Norman Reedus, a cyberbaby, and mysterious hovermen, going by the cinematic E3 trailer. I am delighted that Kojima’s first game away from Konami seems to be going hard on the weird. Have a gander:

Okay, sure, it’s probably a tone-setting piece. And yes, early looks at Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain were big on a skywhale which proved to be in the game for five seconds but I live in hope. You’ve got to, don’t you?

I like that Norm (him out of The Walking Dead) wears of a gruesome necklace of USB thumbsticks torn from the ports of every computer he’s killed. That’s probably what that is. A mean computer from the sea stole Norm’s baby by caesarian and is flinging sealife at the shores to spite him, so he’s training up to fight it by taking down Apple Macs etc. Those hovermen are just here to watch a good scrap. That’s almost definitely the actual literal plot of this game for sure.

Last we heard, the new Kojima Productions (he took the name with him when he split with Konami) said their first game would come to PC as well as PlayStation – just a little later. They don’t mention PC anywhere around this announcement, and the FAQ which said that has now vanished offline, but… I’ll let you know if there’s bad news.

Norman Reedus, you might remember, was supposed to play the protagonist of Kojima and Guillermo del Toro’s cancelled Silent Hills. It’s nice that they’re still pals. Look at these pals:

Do check out the rest of our E3 2016 posts, previews, odds, ends, and gubbins.

From this site

1. karnak says:

I think there’s no need for panic. “Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture” was also a console exclusive when it was first launched.

• Avi says:

I hope you’re right but it’s hard for me to share your optimism given the number of titles from Hideo I can’t play on my PC and I’m talking of course about the earlier MSG titles…

• karnak says:

“Final Fantasy” was also console exclusive for most of its versions. Yet, today, only the 12th hasn’t been launched on PC – and that’s probably going to change:
        link to cinemablend.com

Maybe one day we’ll get PC HD versions of MGS3 and MGS4.

• Avi says:

The difference between the FF titles is that they’re being published by Square Enix who owns the rights and have only to benefit from releasing those titles(I hope the sales figures justify them releasing more, I know I bought every one of them just to encourage them).
          The MGS titles on the other hand are owned and published by Konami and they have been just awful and frankly illogical from a business stand point.Add to that the feud that they have with Kojima which would be entitled to some portion of the revenue, and I hope you get my pessimism…
          Still, I would pre order them without hesitating

• Eight Rooks says:

If you have a relatively recent PC you can play pretty much anything except 4. It’s not that hard to track down original copies (of the MGS series, at least), if you want to do the right thing until Konami come to their senses and give us a Legacy Collection or whatever on Steam.

I mean obviously that route is not for everyone, nor should it have to be. Just saying, is all.

2. Michael Manning says:

Best trailer out of E3 so far imo, I keep re-watching it. A tone thing as you say, but greatly more compelling and emotive than a hundred slow motion Gears of War ‘Mad World’ trailers.

Oakreef says:

As much as I enjoy the gameplay of the metal gear games I can’t imagine Kojima penning a new story with even more creative freedom and less oversight is going to be anything other than the most absurd trainwreck of incoherent nonsense humanity has ever produced.

• Michael Manning says:

I’m so up for that :)

• SMGreer says:

Well he’s off to a strong start. What’ll be really interesting is whether he can make something that’s even more “bonkers and yet somehow completely boring” than MGSV.

• MrFinnishDude says:

*highly subjective*

Oakreef says:

The only shame is seeing as it’s a new IP he won’t be able to fit in loads of clumsy retcons that fall apart on any sort of examination with the previous games.

• Eight Rooks says:

On the one hand, yes, this is very true, and I’m worried about how much my eyes will end up rolling at fans proclaiming it to be wisdom from on high, just because (this is the story he wanted to tell! He’s free from mean ol’ Konami now! It must make sense – we’re just not godlike enough to understand it! etc.).

On the other hand, all the same I’m honestly really quite excited to see how it turns out, and what the diamonds will be in whatever mountain of narrative slop he turns out. Christ, I hated you-know-who, and I still found myself tearing up at the end of MGS3. Hope the wait for the PC version isn’t that much longer.

• Universal Quitter says:

I’m not sure what kind of baby, man-child, fanboy this makes me, but the story not making sense is what I like about MGS games.

For me, it’s not about hidden meaning or supposed depth. It’s about comical absurdity.

If this follows in that vein, I’m excited, but I’m not going to pretend like Kojima is brilliant at creating a narrative. Then again, I also like Salvador Dali and Dragonball Z, so maybe I just have really bad taste.

• GameCat says:

With detailed and diverse gameplay mechanics.

4. MrFinnishDude says:

I like how he has a necklace of flash drives. Beautiful mix between primitive and ultra modern humanity.

5. Zankman says:

Kojima is slacking off, where is the obligatory highly sexualized and mostly-naked woman?

• Emeraude says:

On screen, didn’t you notice the huge caesarean section scar?
      That is no man.

• welverin says:

You got it all wrong, there was just a bomb in his stomach, you don’t want to know where the other one was however.

• lordcooper says:

Oh do put a sock in it. The first hour of MGS V is basically crawling after a manbutt.

If past records are anything to goo off, they’ll be right next to the obligatory highly sexualized and mostly-naked men.

• J.C. says:

I don’t know man, but that oversexualized naked man is TOO oversexualized and TOO naked.

6. Jetsetlemming says:

My favorite part of the trailer is probably the dusty handprints all over him. What do they mean? They have to be recent because the ocean (which presumably washed him ashore like the sea creatures) would’ve washed them off.

7. Shazbut says:

I was wondering why I had an erection and then I realised that opening note is the same note as the menu theme for the original Deus Ex.

8. RedViv says:

Mhmmmpregtastic!

9. int says:

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of uncanny, I shall fear no evil.

10. Abacus says:

I didn’t really see it as anything other than a stylish music video, but given the cult of personality Kojima has fostered it seems I’m in the minority.

• Emeraude says:

There’s no game here, so for now it’s just about whether one enjoys being caught up in the process of marketed hype.

There *is* definitely a ludic aspect to the conversations born of the trailer. And that can be enjoyable in itself.

• haldolium says:

Even then, it’s nice. Good to get some games now and then as well, but great trailers can be watched years later and still be enjoyable, even if the game got canceled or wasn’t good. Many MGS trailers still reside on my HDD… as well as stuff back from the mid 90s :>

• Abacus says:

I can actually agree with that. Even though MGSV’s story was a mangled disappointment, I can rewatch this trailer over and over and imagine what COULD have been of the game’s story.

11. Renevent says:

Wow, this is one of the most cringe-worthy things I’ve ever seen come out of E3.

12. Scumbag says:

OCELOOOOTE!!!
    More Dark Souls 3, less crazy Russian guy who meows.