Grow Up: Sequel To Grow Home Coming In August

Grow Home was one of the most delightful surprises of last year: a physicsy platformer about a robot called B.U.D. planting and climbing flowers. Now it’s getting a sequel called Grow Up, which is due for release this August. Watch the E3 trailer below.

Here’s what the announcement says, with details of what’s new this time around:

BUD returns with new abilities that include his Floradex, which enables him to clone any of Grow Up’s 24 distinct plant species, and use their weirdly useful capabilities to bounce, catapult, and soar through the landscape and discover its secrets. With the help of a new flying friend, POD, he can tackle the game’s missions or take time exploring and reshaping its boundless world. Eventually, he’ll need to find a way to grow the planet’s gigantic Star Plants, climb into space, and reach the distant moon for a reunion with the final piece of MOM.

One of the most surprising things about Grow Home is that it’s made by Ubisoft, where it grew out of experiments with a new physics-based animation system. BUD’s clumsiness is part of its joy: he’s not so great on his feet, and totters and tumbles as you steer him around. At first. Over time you learn how to compensate for his top-heavy stumbles, using his precise and grippy hands to climb cliffs and his jetpack to propel him around.

We named Grow Home the best physics game of 2015 and one of the best action games ever, in case your questioned the depth of our feeling for it. Hopefully Grow Up doesn’t over-complicate it.

From this site

Marclev says:

Is RPS positioning itself to be the new news page of the Ubisoft web site (5 articles about their games on Page 1 of the site)?

• Pich says:

Yeah, it’s almost like they just had a conference or something!

• Clavus says:

Gosh, you could say that it looks like Ubisoft was releasing a lot of news today. Like in a press conference. Intended to release a lot of news.

Marclev says:

Oh, there was a press conference … hmm … I’ll just get my coat then!

2. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Brilliant news. The first game was lovely, looking forward to more of this.

3. Person of Interest says:

Please be on Steam. Please be liked by John. The original was great–I want to want this one…

4. bit.bat says:

Isn’t it a bit antithetical to the spirit of the first game that Ubi are now making a sequel? I see the first one as this unique gem of a game, a smaller experiment coming out of this huge developer. Even Ubisoft shouted from the rooftops about this game was an indication of how they like to pursue new and original ideas so it is weird to me to see this getting a sequel and its been iterated on.

I mean, shouldn’t the logical outcome of this creative approach be “Lets make something new again!” rather than “Lets make the same but bigger!”? The first one was such a great distilled experience, even its length was perfect, just leave it alone and come up with something new. I get that its easier and less risky to just iterate but I never saw Grow Home as a franchise or Bud as some kind of mascot.

Topperfalkon says:

I’m all for them attempting a sequel if they think they can expand on the premise of the original, as long as they don’t try and turn it into yet another annual series

• Urthman says:

I agree that the first game is perfect in length.

And yet, I’d love to play more of it. Seeing that entire globe full of places to explore with that crazy little guy made me want to play so much. If this is by the same team that made Grow Home, this might even edge out The Witness as my game of the year.

• Urthman says:

I just hope they can nail the progression of mobility as well as the first game with something longer like this.

Grow Home had a perfect curve going from only climbing, to vine-riding, to flower-chuting, to leaf bouncing, to hang gliding, to catapulting, to jetpacking, to flying. It gave you just enough time to enjoy each mode of movement and balanced expanding the scope of the environment just about perfectly to match each increase in mobility.

5. thedosbox says:

Grow Home was one of the most joyous games I’ve played in awhile, so this is excellent news.

6. JakeOfRavenclaw says:

Oh this is great news! Grow Home was one of the most surprisingly great games of recent years as far as I’m concerned, and while its limited scope worked quite well in context, it definitely felt like an idea that had room to expand. So looking forward to this :-)

7. phoenixdk says:

Can’t wait for this, heard rumours and it seems like they’ve expanded things quite a bit, should be just as fun and then some :)

gritz says:

It’s a rare game that triggers my acrophobia- I love running rooftops in Mirror’s Edge or grappling onto a soaring jet fighter in Just Cause.

But Grow Home is a big fat nope for me after about 15 minutes. Now I understand people who complain about spiders in games.

9. Solrax says:

Grow Home is one game I would love to see a VR option added to. Of course I may vomit 30 seconds later. But that game really cries out for being able to look all around at this amazing world.