Resident Evil 7 Goes First-Person, Out January 2017

“Capcom has heard fans’ masochistic cries for a Resident Evil game far more terrifying than anything that has come before it,” said the publisher shortly after revealing Resident Evil 7 Biohazard [official site] during Sony’s E3 press conference yesterday. In what is a pretty radical step for the series, it seems this one’s fully first-person and “draws from the series’ roots of atmospheric survival horror,” so say its creators. Having watched the first 20 minutes of the ‘Beginning Hour’ demo, courtesy of the folks over at GameSpot, I’m not entirely convinced by that last part. Have a look for yourself and I’ll explain.

In fact, before we do that, here’s the Resi 7 official E3 trailer:

And now GameSpot’s extended look at how it plays:

Not very Resident Evil-y, is it? I mean, don’t get me wrong, I think it looks cracking but it appears Capcom have drawn inspiration from the likes of PT and Outlast here and not their own back catalogue. Again, this isn’t necessarily a bad thing – the decrepit house with its mysterious rotting carcasses, cobweb-enveloped fixtures and yellow-stained decor looks genuinely terrifying – and I’m now keen to discover the link between the protagonist, the seemingly abandoned estate, and Pete, Andre and Clancy. Keen might not be the right choice of words, actually. I’d like to discover all of that but I’ll likely need to do so during the day with the lights on.

The move from third to first person has unsurprisingly ruffled a few traditional survival horror enthusiast’s feathers, however it seems the first-person drive is tied to PlayStation VR support. And maybe even those door opening loading screens from the early games?

“In the classic Resident Evil games of yesteryear, players braced for fear in the first-person via the creepy door-opening scenes,” said Capcom’s Tim Turi in a blog post. “Resident Evil 7 ramps up that tension with an immersive first-person view and a photorealistic graphical style.”

No word on whether or not other VR hardware will be supported by Resident Evil 7 further down the line, but it is coming to PC via Steam and the Windows 10 Store on January 24, 2017. The above ‘Beginning Hour’ demo is also available now to PS Plus subscribers – if you own one of those strange little console telly box thingymajigs, I’d love to know how you get on with it.

Be sure to catch up with all of our other E3 2016 news this week.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Spuzzell says:

I was interested, but I honestly can’t watch an FPS being played on a pad, it makes me both sea sick and irritated beyond measure.

• jaispeed2017 says:

yeah if it’s first person they can have it. i’m sorry but i can’t stand first person games. i shouldn’t be forced into it

2. int says:

As long as it’s not all running and hiding gameplay I’m fine with first person. The first games were pretty good at combining shooting and escaping; you had to learn when to save ammo and run past zombies, and when to use your weapons. Like, always go for headshots with the shotgun, waiting for them to approach.

I miss puzzles, and I hope they make a return!

3. DDark says:

This is not Resident Evil. We were asking horror roots as in RE1 style environments and balancing. Not this. This looks like some indie horror game. Where are the characters, where is the cheese, where is awesome martial arts and why is it 1st person! I can only hold out hope for RE2 remake I guess. I would have been fine if this was a spin off. They completely changed the game instead of making a new ip. Damn.

4. RedViv says:

I like this new direction a lot.

• jaispeed2017 says:

let me guess.. cause you like first person shooters right? SMH

• Jalan says:

So what if they do?

Wanting something different from a franchise that’s 20 years old isn’t unrealistic.

• Emeraude says:

At the same time, I fail to see the point of a gaming franchise if the common links between games are not the ways they’re being played.

I understand companies would rather define games by content rather than process – much easier to market. I fail to see how it’s a good thing for anyone else involved though.

• Phidelt230 says:

who fucking cares

damned nerds, damned if you do, damned if you dont

gamers are killing gaming

• Emeraude says:

You’ll have to develop, fail to see how this relates to my opinion on the subject mater.

5. Emeraude says:

I guess to sum in up in one word: meh.

As always, we’ll see, but I don’t trust Capcom to make anything good out of it. Even less to make something that would scratch that old survival horrot itch.

6. plentyofpaper654 says:

It’s got my interest. There was too little here for me to form much of an opinion, but the narrow corridors are at least a plus, even if the lighting is terrible.
    I’m hoping it will turn into something like Revelations 1.

7. Mr Ogs says:

This reminded me of a house I used to live in as a student. Not sure I like the setting and agree about the FPS with a controller making you feel a bit off.

8. Isometric says:

I’ve just finished it and it was very interesting. Great atmosphere, and a bit puzzle based. So-so on the horror aspect. Looking forward to seeing where they go with it.

9. haldolium says:

Logical move towards FP imo, given that the major source of “horror” nowadays are (mostly boring) FPS hide&seek games…

Still, very unimpressive footage that neither has anything RE related in it nor stands out otherwise.

10. thekelvingreen says:

Is the Japanese version going to be called Biohazard 7: Resident Evil?

11. Frank says:

Some classic AAA Japanese game design right there — a barely interactive, hilariously expensive and lengthy cutscene.

12. racccoon says:

Well Created game that plays like crap. I loath the poorly created idea of having a popup show you this is what you need to click! in these games. The environment should never be locked down as all the detail is just a waste of time and effort, it all just becomes esthetics & that’s all, the game play is not game play at all it just sucks from the start, a sort of instruction manual of do it this way. I’m Not getting this at all, as it has no realism to it other than the extremely hard work done by the modellers art work..which is all rigid & unmovable.

• BrickedKeyboard says:

I agree with you 100%, Racoon. Essentially, even in this 2017 game, the environment is all static except for a limited number of things they have scripted interactions with. From a technical sense, it’s literally a facade – the environment is literally a flat layer of textured polygons painted on, literally 2 dimensional. Everything they haven’t explicitly scripted cannot be moved, broken, added – nothing. The player is literally a rat in a maze.

Seeing this, if I were really there, I’d want to try to break those windows and escape that murder mansion pronto. But you can’t even try – a barrier more unbreakable than mere glass and some window blinds stops you.

Sure, if you had a more freeform game, where everything can be broken and altered, you would need to change the gameplay a lot. Instead of those creaking sounds you hear being pre-scripted, they’d have to be sounds coming from an actual enemy upstairs moving around on it’s initial patrol path (until it detects the player). If you try to do something that “breaks” the game like escape through a window and run away, there does need to be an enemy waiting to chase you and kill you. Ideally that enemy would not be unavoidable and there would be a (very difficult) way to beat the game in 5 minutes if you can make it to a phone to call for backup…

13. vegeta1998 says:

Looks completely retarded and derivative while clearly not understanding what made those derivatives great in the first place.

I’m personally holding out for “Capcom Directors Lined Up Against The Wall And Shot Simulator”

14. April March says:

During the main sequence the light beam comes from the PoV, as if the character had a flashlight embedded in their forehead. During the recording the character is ostensively carrying a camera, but that doesn’t stop them from climbind down a ladder with both hands. Is this game secretly about cyborgs?